The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

26 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I really think Sakic got way more than he should have, especially with his player having made a trade request and being on a soon-to-be expiring contract. Essentially 6 top-100 draft picks for Sakic in exchange for one guy... good rebuild move. The only justification for giving that up is if you think you can win now. I don't think Ottawa's that close.

Agreed.   As noted above, makes you really wonder what we could get for guys like Weber and Pacioretty.  Of course MB wont even consider a rebuild because we're 'so close.' :rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I like the deal for Nas and Col, not so much for Ott. It's a steep price to pay to go from Turris to Duchene. As you said, he's maybe 110% of what you get with Turris for one year longer, but Duchene will get paid in two years (minimum 7M a season I'd bet) or he'll walk and go somewhere else. So how confident is Ottawa that they're going to contend for a Cup in the next two years? They're a decent team but have probably played above their heads the past two years, and in today's NHL and with parity, making one conference final by no means guarantees you'll be back in the next two years. I'm just not sure going from Turris to Duchene makes Ottawa that much better that it justifies sacrificing a number of high draft picks to do.

I don't think Ottawa is really a contender but Karlsson is the third best player alive and he's only going to be in his prime once so you might as well go for it now. If Turris walked this summer I think they'd be kicking themselves for not ensuring they had a 1C for the final year of Karlsson's bargain 6.5M contract. Next season I expect Chabot and White to play regular roles in Ottawa and if you can guarantee you retain a Turris/Duchene level player for that season without giving up a blue chip it's worth doing IMO.

I think Nashville made out the best but they were uniquely situated to because of how many great contracts they have and their relative strength at D. Signing Turris to that same contract was neither a certainty nor as palatable to a team with Phaneuf/Ryan on bloated deals. If they extend Duchene (and I assume they will) he'll still be only 27 when he signs, while Turris will already be 29 when his new extension kicks in and it runs until he's 35.

I think it's easy to miss the forest for the trees with a trade like this. In a vacuum they paid too much for Duchene. In context they gave up a backup goalie and two first rounders to ensure they have a credible top 2 centers for the remainder of Karlsson's contract. If you can't win during Karlsson's contract you aren't going to win when he costs 10M, Stone costs 6M, and Phaneuf/Ryan are another 2 years older. 

49 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

I don't think Ottawa is really a contender but Karlsson is the third best player alive and he's only going to be in his prime once so you might as well go for it now. If Turris walked this summer I think they'd be kicking themselves for not ensuring they had a 1C for the final year of Karlsson's bargain 6.5M contract. Next season I expect Chabot and White to play regular roles in Ottawa and if you can guarantee you retain a Turris/Duchene level player for that season without giving up a blue chip it's worth doing IMO.

I think Nashville made out the best but they were uniquely situated to because of how many great contracts they have and their relative strength at D. Signing Turris to that same contract was neither a certainty nor as palatable to a team with Phaneuf/Ryan on bloated deals. If they extend Duchene (and I assume they will) he'll still be only 27 when he signs, while Turris will already be 29 when his new extension kicks in and it runs until he's 35.

I think it's easy to miss the forest for the trees with a trade like this. In a vacuum they paid too much for Duchene. In context they gave up a backup goalie and two first rounders to ensure they have a credible top 2 centers for the remainder of Karlsson's contract. If you can't win during Karlsson's contract you aren't going to win when he costs 10M, Stone costs 6M, and Phaneuf/Ryan are another 2 years older. 

Yep. Ottawa, for all its problems, seems to know when it's actually time to go all in and go for broke.

7 hours ago, Noob616 said:

I get the Karlsson contract situation, but if you're going all in, you better have a decent shot at your goal of winning the Cup. I don't even think Ottawa is one of the top 5 teams in the East, even with Duchene (I'd easily have Was, Pit, Clb, TB, and Tor still ahead of them). If the Habs have Carey playing well, I think they're also a better team than Ottawa. There are people who still have Ottawa on the border of making the playoffs, despite the trade. To me, the Sens have good scoring depth but like us, don't have true top-end talent up front (and no, I don't think Duchene fixes that even though he helps) and their defence is suspect. Are they really any closer than us? I'm not sure.

As I've said, I don't think we have a player similar to Turris down the middle, but imagine we traded Brendan Gallagher, Poehling, Montoya, a 1st, and a 3rd in order to upgrade our right wing to a TJ Oshie or a Blake Wheeler or even a Wayne Simmonds. Sure, those guys are all more valuable than Gallagher, but that's a heck of a cost to make that upgrade. Statistically, the difference between Turris and Duchene is very small, so you're really banking on that one extra season of the player being signed (and over that one year, the 2-year age difference doesn't mean that much). Dorion stated that Turris wanted 7 or 8 years from the Sens and that money wasn't the issue, so let's say Turris' offer to Ottawa to stay was 7 years at 6M per year. If you're "all-in" now in the Karlsson years, then re-signing Turris still gives you a top 6 center for the Karlsson years and the problem is whether Turris is able to still perform in 4-7 years (which is probably an easier problem to have than having given away three high draft choices IMO).

I am glad Bergy stayed away from this one. We need to go with who we have right now. We have a young core with a lot of upside, It may not be good for the rumours thread but I would not be making a move unless a very cheap  star  becomes available at the deadline. We have room on the cap and a well balanced attack. Ottawa appears to have problems on defence so giving up youth to get an experienced centre doesn't  make much sense to me.

FWIW,,,, Eklund via GoHabsGo:

"Galchenyuk has been enjoying some pretty good success playing to the left of Jonathan Drouin and it is precisely at this position that the Flyers would like to improve their team.

The Flyers have been playing captain Claude Giroux on the left since the team has so much depth down the middle.

Eklund also reports that the Canadiens' organization has a strong interest in left-handed defenseman Travis Sanheim, who's only 21 years old enjoying his first season in the NHL.

Sanheim is a complete defenseman who is defensively reliable but also has excellent offensive potential, as we can see with his 37 points in 76 games in the AHL last year."

He may have had some success in the AHL, but he has only 2A in the NHL, in 12GP.

18 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

He may have had some success in the AHL, but he has only 2A in the NHL, in 12GP.

Sanheim is most likely the real deal, but he wont be cheap. If we could get him for a player like Gallagher Id do it but if they wanted Galchenyuk i would not be interested even though Im pretty sure he's  bonefide top 4 and a probable top 2. 

Perfect scenario would be like Byron + Juulsen for Sanheim but i dont think MB could spin it. 

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I get the Karlsson contract situation, but if you're going all in, you better have a decent shot at your goal of winning the Cup. I don't even think Ottawa is one of the top 5 teams in the East, even with Duchene (I'd easily have Was, Pit, Clb, TB, and Tor still ahead of them). If the Habs have Carey playing well, I think they're also a better team than Ottawa. There are people who still have Ottawa on the border of making the playoffs, despite the trade. To me, the Sens have good scoring depth but like us, don't have true top-end talent up front (and no, I don't think Duchene fixes that even though he helps) and their defence is suspect. Are they really any closer than us? I'm not sure.

It's a two year window and IMO they're getting big help from Chabot and White next year (and White will likely play in the NHL this year after he comes back from injury). I don't think they're amazing but Karlsson is good enough you have to roll the dice and see what you get. I agree with where you rank Ottawa in the East but I think it's CBJ/TBL a cut above and then a lot of question marks. Ottawa doesn't distinguish themselves from TOR/MTL/WSH/PIT but they can hang with those teams and could easily win a series since Toronto can't defend, Price's health is a question mark, and the Pens/Caps depth is horrid. 

If they're bad this year the pick is lottery protected. Duchene is more or less "gongshow protected" as well. If they sign Turris long term and the Sens miss the playoffs this year and next they won't be able to move that contract. If they miss the playoffs this year and next year is going bad they can easily get another 1st and probably more back for an expiring Duchene. If Karlsson decides to stay you extend Duchene and hope Chabot/White/Brown elevates the team to keep pushing. This way they can choose what to do with Turchene long term until they have a better idea of if Karlsson is staying, and if Duchene/Chabot/White help the team emerge from that pile of teams in the East.

I think comparisons with the Habs are a bit tricky because our core is older and we don't have any blue chips ready to step in while Ottawa has Chabot and White which makes Poehling tier B-prospects more expendable. Ottawa lives and dies with Karlsson who's 27, while our core players are a 28 year old winger, a 30 year old goalie with a bad knee and a 32 year old no longer elite 5v5 defenseman. It's probably to be too late for the Habs to go truly all in but the Senators window is still somewhat open while Karlsson makes 6.5M. They also still have their blue chips available for trade, maybe they can pull off their own Sergachev-Drouin trade and add another piece.

Its Eklund, so you know, grain of salt & all that but he believes Bergevin is going to 'respond' to the Duchene move in Ottawa. Im not sure why, as i think we are arguably better than them already, especially if Carey comes back to form. 

From ol' ek  "I keep hearing the name Jonathan Marchessault in regards to the Canadiens, but I also know they are talking to Philly about a D-man..."

I could see us having interest in Marchessault but not sure what Vegas would want.  Sure seems like they are an easy trading partner but with their current success I dont know they'd be willing to give up a contributing roster player right not unless we gave them something good. 

On the phillie front, the rumor is that we're still very interested in Sanheim.  I could totally see it - i think all 31 GMs would be interested in Sanheim but again, this would cost... a lot.  I dont know if we're prepared to give up what it will cost to get either of these guys although either would be good quality pickups at the right price. 

it does look like AG is back on the block.  

Per Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet:

- There were some rumblings that the Anaheim Ducks might have some interest in Montreal Canadiens forward Alex Galchenyuk. doesn’t think there is a match.
- Trade talk has picked up, but a couple GMs warned it may be just finding out what teams might be willing to do.

I still like Alex a lot and I think if we move him we're going to have to be careful to replace his scoring on that side of drouin, but I do see the value in moving him if we can address either (or better still both) of our holes at #1LD and #2C  

From Eklund (insert chuckle here):

"Controversial HockeyBuzz blogger Eklund mentioned yesterday morning that talks between the Canadiens and Blue Shirts are still on going, but the names of Alex Galchenyuk and Chris Kreider would no longer be at the center of the talks.

Instead, he mentions the team's would be talking about Max Pacioretty and Ryan McDonagh ... a captain for captain trade!

Other assets could be part of the deal, but the two main pieces would be Pacioretty and McDonagh." 

I hesitate to ask this,,,, but where are those 30 goals going to come from? 

20 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

"Controversial HockeyBuzz blogger Eklund mentioned yesterday morning that talks between the Canadiens and Blue Shirts are still on going, but the names of Alex Galchenyuk and Chris Kreider would no longer be at the center of the talks.

Instead, he mentions the team's would be talking about Max Pacioretty and Ryan McDonagh ... a captain for captain trade!

Other assets could be part of the deal, but the two main pieces would be Pacioretty and McDonagh." 

Nicolas Deslauriers, don't you know!

23 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I think its pretty likely we lose one of our top 6 wingers.  Galchenyuk is most likely but Pacioretty is a possibility.  I think if Patches goes then Galchenyuk becomes our #1 LW and hopefully by spreading out scoring we can compensate.

However, if the deal is Patches to NYR we'd better be getting a lot more back than just McDonaugh. Even McDonaugh + Kreider is probably not enough based on Pacioretty's consistent level of goal output.    The only way this deal makes sense is if we're 'all in' this year & i think its pretty clear we're not an 'all in'  team.   McDonaugh would definitely stabilize our defense but Id want a top quality prospect to come back with McDonaugh.  Maybe they dont know how bad Alzner has looked this year.  I believe they did talk to him during the june 25 - july 1st window so maybe they are still interested.

Pacioretty + Alzner

for

McDonaugh + Kreider + Gropp 

Eklund also says we're talking with the canucks.   The name he suggests is Ben Hutton (for those that dont know him, id describe him as a young Petry).  Id certainly have interest in adding him to our roster and unlike Mete, Hutton may be able to step into a regular role next to Weber immediately - but the name they are talking about is Galchenyuk.  I would want a lot more in return for Chucky but not sure who we'd be getting back in addition. I could see MB wanting Horvat and Julien has always coveted that type of player. 

Horvat + Hutton for Galchenyuk is probably not too far fetched although I guess it depends how high each side is on the other players, some picks may need to be added. 

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

who cares. we suck even with his 30 goals. do not get bogged down in this kind of thinking, its a trap.  

and the answer is by using the money we dont spend grossly overpaying him to get a proper top player or 2 really good ones

Normand Flynn apparently told host Tony Marinaro he wouldn’t be surprised if the Montreal Canadiens traded goaltender Carey Price as early this week.

- The "conspiracy theories" have to do in part with Price’s injury situation and that he didn’t elaborate on his injury, or (it appears) that the team didn’t know right away he was hurt.
If he’s not badly injured, why is he still being kept out of the lineup?  

Its definitely a funny situation and MB has traded players before their NMC/NTC have kicked in so who knows. They've had a little time to see how Lindgren would perform in goal so maybe MB feels like he can make this move.  I find it highly unlikely but nothing would surprise me at this point. 

34 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Normand Flynn apparently told host Tony Marinaro he wouldn’t be surprised if the Montreal Canadiens traded goaltender Carey Price as early this week.

- The "conspiracy theories" have to do in part with Price’s injury situation and that he didn’t elaborate on his injury, or (it appears) that the team didn’t know right away he was hurt.
If he’s not badly injured, why is he still being kept out of the lineup?  

Its definitely a funny situation and MB has traded players before their NMC/NTC have kicked in so who knows. They've had a little time to see how Lindgren would perform in goal so maybe MB feels like he can make this move.  I find it highly unlikely but nothing would surprise me at this point. 

I can't see ANY team taking a chance on Price with his new contract kicking in next year unless the Habs pay half his salary. Some GMs may be dumb but I don't think any are that stupid. 

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

I can't see ANY team taking a chance on Price with his new contract kicking in next year unless the Habs pay half his salary. Some GMs may be dumb but I don't think any are that stupid. 

We'll agree to disagree. I think a handful of teams would line up for him.  He's still young (for a goalie) and up until 11 games ago was the concensus #1 goalie in the world.  Yes he had a horrible start, (although even that was blown out of proportion, of the 11 games at least 4 or 5 were good)  and yes he seems to have a mystery injury, but someone out there that thinks they are 1 world class goalie away from a cup run would pay handsomely for him imho.

Matt Larkin has an interesting article at the hockey news (link here) where he speculates a Carey Price trade would be of the magnitude of the Wayne Gretzky trade, the Phil Esposito deal, Joe Thornton, or maybe Chris Pronger after his playoff MVP-worthy performance.   In other words, someone will pay a TON for him.

You can point out all the logical reasons why it would be dumb to trade for Price but we've seen time and again that GMs will overlook logic and make deals or signings with their gut.  

Im not saying all GMs would be interested but I suspect you would have, at very least, 4-6 GMs who could be played off against one another.   Larkin ultimately says we shouldnt trade him (if for no other reason than it would be admission by MB we're rebuilding) but he agrees the return would be huge.  I think you'd have to be looking at blue-chip prospects from a stacked team though.  I mean ultimately no one is trading a #1C and #1LD for a #1 goalie - no matter how good they think he is or how much mystique he carries - because they'd be weakening one position to gain at another.  A team like Edmonton would be your best bet because they are stacked at certain positions and have tons of quality prospects.  You could offer a package including Klefbom or Nurse and RNH  + a couple of top end picks and i think Chiarelli would bite. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

We'll agree to disagree. I think a handful of teams would line up for him.  He's still young (for a goalie) and up until 11 games ago was the concensus #1 goalie in the world.  Yes he had a horrible start, (although even that was blown out of proportion, of the 11 games at least 4 or 5 were good)  and yes he seems to have a mystery injury, but someone out there that thinks they are 1 world class goalie away from a cup run would pay handsomely for him imho.

Matt Larkin has an interesting article at the hockey news (link here) where he speculates a Carey Price trade would be of the magnitude of the Wayne Gretzky trade, the Phil Esposito deal, Joe Thornton, or maybe Chris Pronger after his playoff MVP-worthy performance.   In other words, someone will pay a TON for him.

You can point out all the logical reasons why it would be dumb to trade for Price but we've seen time and again that GMs will overlook logic and make deals or signings with their gut.  

Im not saying all GMs would be interested but I suspect you would have, at very least, 4-6 GMs who could be played off against one another.   Larkin ultimately says we shouldnt trade him (if for no other reason than it would be admission by MB we're rebuilding) but he agrees the return would be huge.  I think you'd have to be looking at blue-chip prospects from a stacked team though.  I mean ultimately no one is trading a #1C and #1LD for a #1 goalie - no matter how good they think he is or how much mystique he carries - because they'd be weakening one position to gain at another.  A team like Edmonton would be your best bet because they are stacked at certain positions and have tons of quality prospects.  You could offer a package including Klefbom or Nurse and RNH  + a couple of top end picks and i think Chiarelli would bite. 

For a team to bite, they would have to be in the following situation:

1. Have a need for a top-end goalie. Team who already have top 10-15 goalies in the league probably aren't in need of taking a gamble on Price.

2. Have a legit chance at the Cup this year or next. I don't think a rebuilding team or one that's not close is going to think Price is the only thing standing between them and a real shot.

3. Have cap space and the ability to spend (or if they don't have cap space, have a player with a big enough cap hit who isn't a core guy whom they could trade back to us).

So let's start by analyzing who doesn't need Price because they have solid goaltending already: Washington, Tampa, Minnesota, San Jose, New Jersey, LA, Chicago, Columbus, and Boston are probably happy with what they have and aren't going to see Price as a huge upgrade or being worth the money.

Next, which teams simply aren't going to compete for a Cup in the near future and aren't going to get full value for Price, because honestly, a GM isn't going to trade for Price now to see what he can do in 4-5 years... I'd throw out Phoenix, Vegas, Colorado, Carolina, Detroit, NYR, and Vancouver as teams that, even if they add Carey, aren't going to be close and thus aren't going to trade us young stars to make that deal.

For the rest: I think Anaheim would be out too. They're up against the cap, with 24M tied up in Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler. Gibson is a pretty decent goalie already, and I don't see them breaking up their defence core and locking 34M into 4 players to make that upgrade in net. The Panthers are also out for me. They have a young nucleus, but they aren't close right now despite the fact they've gotten pretty decent goaltending from Luongo. The Sabres are another team that isn't close right now, the difference from some of the other teams being that I think Buffalo wants to make a big splash somehow. So they might have interest in Carey, but I don't see a fit as a trade partner there, because they're not going to give up young NHL-ready talent in a swap. So that leaves me with 11 potential teams that might have legitimate interest in Price. So let's look at those squads and how potential deals might work, in reverse order of how likely a trade would be:

11. Ottawa: the Sens obviously want to go all in before Karlsson hits UFA status. They have 2.4M in cap space, and they have a number of big contracts already. I'm not sure they'd be thrilled about another long-term hit when they already have Ryan and Phaneuf at 7+M each for 4 and 5 more years respectively. Between those two, Price, and a max contract for Karlsson, they'd have killed their budget. Any trade would also need to see Craig Anderson going back the other way, and I feel like that be a tough emotional sell for Eugene Melnyk, with their having recent health issues in common. I think we'd also be reluctant to make that trade without Thomas Chabot coming back the other way, and I'm not sure Ottawa will part with him.

10. Philadelphia: Philly also has very little cap space and a number of high-paying long-term contracts. We'd probably have to take Claude Giroux back to make the money work and at that point, Philly would probably see this as one step forward, one step back. Why deal for Price to try to win now when you give up your captain and one of your top forwards. How much else could they really give us in terms of younger players/prospects if they already throw in Giroux? Not much. I'd love to go after Couturier (a guy I've suggested we target for a couple of years now), Konecny, Gostisbehere, Patrick, Sanheim, or Provorov, but it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for the two teams to find a trade including Price that works for both sides.

9. Pittsburgh: I throw them in here only because of the Crosby-Price connection from Team Canada. If Crosby tells management he thinks it'd be a good idea to go after Carey, they might look at it. But Murray has player well for them and they have a winning formula without needing Carey. They have zero cap room, so why break up the Crosby-Malkin-Letang-Kessel group in order to find the money for Carey? Next.

8. NY Islanders: They're playing well this year, but I don't think they're as close as the standings show. They might consider a move for Carey as a show of investing in order to keep Tavares around. To make the money and deal work, we're likely taking Leddy and Halak back as part of it, which is fine, but like with other teams, I don't see the Isles giving up young stars like Beauvillier or Barzal or so on to get Carey.

7. St. Louis: now we start to get into teams that are more interesting. St. Louis is playing really well and they do have good talent at other positions and in the past, they've been let down by goaltending come playoff time. So Carey could be a real fit for them. To make the money and roster spots work, we're taking back Allen and probably one of Brayden Schenn or Jay Bouwmeester back. Where my hold up is is the Blues prospect pool. They have a few decent players, but no prospect like a Thomas Chabot or Barzal or Sanheim that makes me want to push for that trade. So while I could see interest from the Blues, I don't know how to make this a worthwhile trade for us.

6. Dallas: again, a team with a longstanding need in goal but a lot of hope elsewhere. They signed Bishop to a long-term deal, although he's struggled early on this season. Price is still a definite upgrade for them but how would you make the goalies work here? Dallas likely isn't going to sit on three veteran goalies with Lehtonen making close to 6M as a 3rd stringer. But if we take Lehtonen back (the more ideal choice, given his contract expires after this year), then Dallas has Bishop signed for 6 years at 5M as a back-up. And if we take Bishop, we're stuck with him on that contract, which is a no-no for me, as he's older than Price. You'd almost have to believe Dallas would need to make a separate trade to get of Bishop first to make this work. So there are some hold-ups here too. There is a deal to be made here though, as Dallas has a number of high-end defensive prospects. I'd be asking for something like Heiskanen, Faksa, a 1st rounder, and Lehtonen to get the trade done.

5. Toronto: some of you are going to ask why I have a heated rival up here, and yes, Bergevin is going to think hard about whether he would consider shipping Price down the 401. But... Carey is pretty much a perfect fit for Toronto. He's used to the pressure of playing in a big Canadian market, he's calm, he's got experience, and Babcock loves him. Babcock has gone on record saying he would choose Carey as his goalie to build a team around, so here's the chance to do that. Anderson is decent, yes, but he's not Carey. Right now, Toronto is up against the cap. Next year, they'll get a bit of room by waving goodbye to JVR and Bozak, but they have Nylander to re-up, and a year after that, they have both Marner and Matthews due for big raises. The Leafs are actually a very dangerous team in a weak division right now, and they have the young offensive talent on reasonable contracts to be able to make a run at a Cup in the next year or two. After that, the contracts make it harder. I think Babcock would go to bat with management to acquire Carey, and I think Carey would have success there. No big end prospects in the farm system for Toronto in my view, albeit some sold ones in Kapanen, Soshnikov, Liljegren, Grundstrom, etc. We're at least taking Anderson back to make the roster and cap hit work, which is okay for us to have him signed for three more years after this one. There would have to be some other moving pieces to make the caps work, but the major ask has to be one of Marner or Nylander. If that doesn't work for Toronto, then I'd push for Anderson, JVR (with a new deal in place before the trade and either you keep him or you flip him in another trade later), Liljegren, Kapanen, and 1st rounders in 2018 and 2019.

4. Winnipeg: another team that's started well and has a good young core. Hellebuyck has done okay but Price would be a serious upgrade. They have cap room too. I doubt they're giving up Laine, Schiefele, or Ehlers, so the ask should be something like Josh Morrissey, Nick Petan, Brendan Lemieux, and a 1st rounder.

3. Calgary: Eddie Lack and Mike Smith? Yes, that could use an upgrade fast. Smith has two years left at 4.25M, so you could make that work as part of the trade and afford to pay Smith to be your back-up for a year and a half. Any deal would need to include Juuso Valimaki and ideally Matthew Tkachuk, but that might be a sticking point for a Brian Burke staff that probably loves Tkachuk more than he's worth. So I would try to work around something like Price for Smith, Valimaki, Morgan Klimchuk, Sam Bennett, and a 1st rounder.

2. Edmonton: Could they use an upgrade in goal? Check. Do they have cap space? For this year yes, and they'd have to do some juggling next season once the McDavid deal kicks in, but it could be done. With McDavid, Draisaitl, and Price, they're a perennial Cup contender for the next 3-4 years in all likelihood, and we know Chiarelli has seen Carey's worth up close. My ask? RNH, Puljujarvi, Nurse, and a 1st for Price and one of Shaw/Gallagher.

1. Nashville: a lot of people probably had Edmonton as the most likely destination, but I wonder about Nashville. It's hard to know whether to believe the rumors that Price, Subban, and their triple low five got along really well or butted heads in the locker room, but I think Price and Subban at the very least understand each other's value on the ice. Price would know that going to Nashville, he'd have a legit shot at the Cup, since Nashville was already a contender before. Price is also a country boy, so maybe Nashville has some intrigue in that regard too. In any case, we know David Poile isn't afraid to make the big move, we know they're really close to winning a Cup, and we also know that Pekka Rinne, despite his history, is a bit of a question mark and probably the loose cog in the wheel come playoff time. He could be good, but when your team is that good outside the goal, I don't know he's the guy I'd risk betting on. Enter Price. Flip Rinne back to us, and the cap space works out just fine for Nashville. There would need to be a lot of picks coming back, at least one or two of Jarnkrok, Sissons, Fiala, and Aberg, as well as some prospects. But it could be the case of getting a lot of young parts back and using that to have at least a couple of hits.

9 hours ago, archey said:

I think if it's said one wouldn't be surprised if Carey got traded it's sort of like saying it's not surprising someone watches Don Cherry.

With Carey's contract it might be hard. If he comes back strong and in a couple years the cap increases? Everyone watches Coaches Corner , even if you disagree he's fun to watch if for nothing else to watch Don Maclean's reactions! He is a 100% homer Canadian guy. He does honor and respect law enforcement and the troops also. He actually isn't wrong in everything he says either especially about some rules. I also agree with his just drop the puck! to the linesman!

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:43 PM, maas_art said:

A team like Edmonton would be your best bet because they are stacked at certain positions and have tons of quality prospects.  You could offer a package including Klefbom or Nurse and RNH  + a couple of top end picks and i think Chiarelli would bite. 

Chiarelli would be crazy to trade all those young prospects and a couple of top end picks for a goalie .

• H_T_L locked this topic