Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 11/17/2017 at 11:06 PM, BigTed3 said:

For a team to bite, they would have to be in the following situation:

1. Have a need for a top-end goalie. Team who already have top 10-15 goalies in the league probably aren't in need of taking a gamble on Price.

2. Have a legit chance at the Cup this year or next. I don't think a rebuilding team or one that's not close is going to think Price is the only thing standing between them and a real shot.

3. Have cap space and the ability to spend (or if they don't have cap space, have a player with a big enough cap hit who isn't a core guy whom they could trade back to us).

So let's start by analyzing who doesn't need Price because they have solid goaltending already: Washington, Tampa, Minnesota, San Jose, New Jersey, LA, Chicago, Columbus, and Boston are probably happy with what they have and aren't going to see Price as a huge upgrade or being worth the money.

Next, which teams simply aren't going to compete for a Cup in the near future and aren't going to get full value for Price, because honestly, a GM isn't going to trade for Price now to see what he can do in 4-5 years... I'd throw out Phoenix, Vegas, Colorado, Carolina, Detroit, NYR, and Vancouver as teams that, even if they add Carey, aren't going to be close and thus aren't going to trade us young stars to make that deal.

For the rest: I think Anaheim would be out too. They're up against the cap, with 24M tied up in Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler. Gibson is a pretty decent goalie already, and I don't see them breaking up their defence core and locking 34M into 4 players to make that upgrade in net. The Panthers are also out for me. They have a young nucleus, but they aren't close right now despite the fact they've gotten pretty decent goaltending from Luongo. The Sabres are another team that isn't close right now, the difference from some of the other teams being that I think Buffalo wants to make a big splash somehow. So they might have interest in Carey, but I don't see a fit as a trade partner there, because they're not going to give up young NHL-ready talent in a swap. So that leaves me with 11 potential teams that might have legitimate interest in Price. So let's look at those squads and how potential deals might work, in reverse order of how likely a trade would be:

11. Ottawa: the Sens obviously want to go all in before Karlsson hits UFA status. They have 2.4M in cap space, and they have a number of big contracts already. I'm not sure they'd be thrilled about another long-term hit when they already have Ryan and Phaneuf at 7+M each for 4 and 5 more years respectively. Between those two, Price, and a max contract for Karlsson, they'd have killed their budget. Any trade would also need to see Craig Anderson going back the other way, and I feel like that be a tough emotional sell for Eugene Melnyk, with their having recent health issues in common. I think we'd also be reluctant to make that trade without Thomas Chabot coming back the other way, and I'm not sure Ottawa will part with him.

10. Philadelphia: Philly also has very little cap space and a number of high-paying long-term contracts. We'd probably have to take Claude Giroux back to make the money work and at that point, Philly would probably see this as one step forward, one step back. Why deal for Price to try to win now when you give up your captain and one of your top forwards. How much else could they really give us in terms of younger players/prospects if they already throw in Giroux? Not much. I'd love to go after Couturier (a guy I've suggested we target for a couple of years now), Konecny, Gostisbehere, Patrick, Sanheim, or Provorov, but it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for the two teams to find a trade including Price that works for both sides.

9. Pittsburgh: I throw them in here only because of the Crosby-Price connection from Team Canada. If Crosby tells management he thinks it'd be a good idea to go after Carey, they might look at it. But Murray has player well for them and they have a winning formula without needing Carey. They have zero cap room, so why break up the Crosby-Malkin-Letang-Kessel group in order to find the money for Carey? Next.

8. NY Islanders: They're playing well this year, but I don't think they're as close as the standings show. They might consider a move for Carey as a show of investing in order to keep Tavares around. To make the money and deal work, we're likely taking Leddy and Halak back as part of it, which is fine, but like with other teams, I don't see the Isles giving up young stars like Beauvillier or Barzal or so on to get Carey.

7. St. Louis: now we start to get into teams that are more interesting. St. Louis is playing really well and they do have good talent at other positions and in the past, they've been let down by goaltending come playoff time. So Carey could be a real fit for them. To make the money and roster spots work, we're taking back Allen and probably one of Brayden Schenn or Jay Bouwmeester back. Where my hold up is is the Blues prospect pool. They have a few decent players, but no prospect like a Thomas Chabot or Barzal or Sanheim that makes me want to push for that trade. So while I could see interest from the Blues, I don't know how to make this a worthwhile trade for us.

6. Dallas: again, a team with a longstanding need in goal but a lot of hope elsewhere. They signed Bishop to a long-term deal, although he's struggled early on this season. Price is still a definite upgrade for them but how would you make the goalies work here? Dallas likely isn't going to sit on three veteran goalies with Lehtonen making close to 6M as a 3rd stringer. But if we take Lehtonen back (the more ideal choice, given his contract expires after this year), then Dallas has Bishop signed for 6 years at 5M as a back-up. And if we take Bishop, we're stuck with him on that contract, which is a no-no for me, as he's older than Price. You'd almost have to believe Dallas would need to make a separate trade to get of Bishop first to make this work. So there are some hold-ups here too. There is a deal to be made here though, as Dallas has a number of high-end defensive prospects. I'd be asking for something like Heiskanen, Faksa, a 1st rounder, and Lehtonen to get the trade done.

5. Toronto: some of you are going to ask why I have a heated rival up here, and yes, Bergevin is going to think hard about whether he would consider shipping Price down the 401. But... Carey is pretty much a perfect fit for Toronto. He's used to the pressure of playing in a big Canadian market, he's calm, he's got experience, and Babcock loves him. Babcock has gone on record saying he would choose Carey as his goalie to build a team around, so here's the chance to do that. Anderson is decent, yes, but he's not Carey. Right now, Toronto is up against the cap. Next year, they'll get a bit of room by waving goodbye to JVR and Bozak, but they have Nylander to re-up, and a year after that, they have both Marner and Matthews due for big raises. The Leafs are actually a very dangerous team in a weak division right now, and they have the young offensive talent on reasonable contracts to be able to make a run at a Cup in the next year or two. After that, the contracts make it harder. I think Babcock would go to bat with management to acquire Carey, and I think Carey would have success there. No big end prospects in the farm system for Toronto in my view, albeit some sold ones in Kapanen, Soshnikov, Liljegren, Grundstrom, etc. We're at least taking Anderson back to make the roster and cap hit work, which is okay for us to have him signed for three more years after this one. There would have to be some other moving pieces to make the caps work, but the major ask has to be one of Marner or Nylander. If that doesn't work for Toronto, then I'd push for Anderson, JVR (with a new deal in place before the trade and either you keep him or you flip him in another trade later), Liljegren, Kapanen, and 1st rounders in 2018 and 2019.

4. Winnipeg: another team that's started well and has a good young core. Hellebuyck has done okay but Price would be a serious upgrade. They have cap room too. I doubt they're giving up Laine, Schiefele, or Ehlers, so the ask should be something like Josh Morrissey, Nick Petan, Brendan Lemieux, and a 1st rounder.

3. Calgary: Eddie Lack and Mike Smith? Yes, that could use an upgrade fast. Smith has two years left at 4.25M, so you could make that work as part of the trade and afford to pay Smith to be your back-up for a year and a half. Any deal would need to include Juuso Valimaki and ideally Matthew Tkachuk, but that might be a sticking point for a Brian Burke staff that probably loves Tkachuk more than he's worth. So I would try to work around something like Price for Smith, Valimaki, Morgan Klimchuk, Sam Bennett, and a 1st rounder.

2. Edmonton: Could they use an upgrade in goal? Check. Do they have cap space? For this year yes, and they'd have to do some juggling next season once the McDavid deal kicks in, but it could be done. With McDavid, Draisaitl, and Price, they're a perennial Cup contender for the next 3-4 years in all likelihood, and we know Chiarelli has seen Carey's worth up close. My ask? RNH, Puljujarvi, Nurse, and a 1st for Price and one of Shaw/Gallagher.

1. Nashville: a lot of people probably had Edmonton as the most likely destination, but I wonder about Nashville. It's hard to know whether to believe the rumors that Price, Subban, and their triple low five got along really well or butted heads in the locker room, but I think Price and Subban at the very least understand each other's value on the ice. Price would know that going to Nashville, he'd have a legit shot at the Cup, since Nashville was already a contender before. Price is also a country boy, so maybe Nashville has some intrigue in that regard too. In any case, we know David Poile isn't afraid to make the big move, we know they're really close to winning a Cup, and we also know that Pekka Rinne, despite his history, is a bit of a question mark and probably the loose cog in the wheel come playoff time. He could be good, but when your team is that good outside the goal, I don't know he's the guy I'd risk betting on. Enter Price. Flip Rinne back to us, and the cap space works out just fine for Nashville. There would need to be a lot of picks coming back, at least one or two of Jarnkrok, Sissons, Fiala, and Aberg, as well as some prospects. But it could be the case of getting a lot of young parts back and using that to have at least a couple of hits.

I think that from Montreal's perspective , Edmonton is the better option because of the better qualty of prospects.Another piece might have to go the other way to get the deal done .Shaw might get it done.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to Bruce Garrioch (Ottawa Citizen) Marc Bergevin is the league's most active general manager right now, trying everything he can to make a shakeup on the team.  the name they are hearing most is Galchenyuk which is a concern because i dont see how we'll get full value for him.  

I wouldnt be surprised at all to see a big deal this week.  A logical trade partner would be edmonton, as they have assets we would like and they are in the midst of an equally horrible start as us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, maas_art said:

According to Bruce Garrioch (Ottawa Citizen) Marc Bergevin is the league's most active general manager right now, trying everything he can to make a shakeup on the team.  the name they are hearing most is Galchenyuk which is a concern because i dont see how we'll get full value for him.  

I wouldnt be surprised at all to see a big deal this week.  A logical trade partner would be edmonton, as they have assets we would like and they are in the midst of an equally horrible start as us. 

MB has no idea what we need, if AG is moved odds are it will be for safer defencive player, or a few 4th line pluggers, AG has very little value so getting a top puck moving d man or a good scoring winger or solid center is probly not gonna happen, so grit jam and character is what i see coming as that is what MB looks for in a player

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point any deal Bergevin makes will be a bad one, as he can't make a good one anymore even when in a position of strength.  Right now he will be taken advantage of so badly it will set the team back even further.  Molson needs to step in.  Bergevin has taken the team several strides backwards without a prospect of  getting much better at any point in the future

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, jwlk said:

grit jam and character is what i see coming as that is what MB looks for in a player

 

10 minutes ago, kalevine said:

 Molson needs to step in.  Bergevin has taken the team several strides backwards without a prospect of  getting much better at any point in the future

Couldnt agree more.  As ive said in other threads, this team is not in dire straits.  Put the right GM at the helm and turn players like Pacioretty, Weber, Gallagher and even Price into packages of young players coming back & we will be a strong, contending team in a matter of 1 - 2 years.   Keep MB at the helm though & watch him trade away guys like Galchenyuk or Mete as he tries to "win now" even though we seem highly incapable of doing so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

IMO this team is as bad as the rest of the bottom feeders. BUffalo, Arizona, Florida, Boston etc .

The difference is that we have a ton of tradeable assets.  If you had the right GM in place this team has a projectable turn-around with just a handful of moves.  The teams you mentioned do not have that luxury. They have some good young pieces, like us, but they dont have guys like Pacioretty, Weber, Gallagher, Price and more who could bring you very strong returns if you were good a trades. 

Sadly, I dont think this will ever come to fruition because it looks like MB is here for a bit longer... 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Darren Dregger (one of the analysists i believe more than most) had this to say on TSN1050:

- Bergevin is getting a lot of interest in Galchenyuk but he is not prepared to move him unless he gets a huge offer.  Dreger believe MB is NOT shopping him, simply listening to offers when he enquires about other players.

- Bergevin does not want to move Max Pac but Dreger thinks it may be getting likelier by the day. Dreger says that if pacioretty becomes available there will be LOT of teams interested. Pacioretty is historically a second -half-of-the-season-scorer so not only would you be getting a goal scorer, you'd be getting one who should score a lot of goals moving forward this Year.  Dreger didnt mention any names (or what he believes the return would be) as at this point he belives its just speculation, but it sounds like he thinks it would be significant.

TSN had an interesting article on why Toronto may be a good fit for Shea Weber (and that Babcock would love to have his "man mountain" back).
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:



TSN had an interesting article on why Toronto may be a good fit for Shea Weber (and that Babcock would love to have his "man mountain" back).
 

Ask for Morgan Reilly , Mitch Marner, Nazeem Kadri and if you can get the leafs to agree , that guy Mathews

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Ask for Morgan Reilly , Mitch Marner, Nazeem Kadri and if you can get the leafs to agree , that guy Mathews

The proposal (in the article) was Marner + ______ with us retaining some salary.

I think there are other teams (edmonton) that may pay more but Toronto may well be willing to deal since their biggest hole is probably that one top-end dman.   We would most likely have to settle for forward help in return from them though, and ideally Id want a guy like Klefbom, Nurse, Seinheim etc as part of a deal for Weber.  Im not sure Toronto has that kind of guy but maybe Liljegren or Dermott down the road.   The bad 'fit' for a deal is that what we really need is a top 2 centre and a top 4 dman and those are both areas TO is weak in. Edmonton has a way better prospect pool at both positions. 

As long as MB is gm its probably moot though.  he may well trade pacioretty or even price but Weber was "his guy" - dealing him is admission that he royally screwed up with the Subban deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

- Bergevin does not want to move Max Pac but Dreger thinks it may be getting likelier by the day. Dreger says that if pacioretty becomes available there will be LOT of teams interested. Pacioretty is historically a second -half-of-the-season-scorer so not only would you be getting a goal scorer, you'd be getting one who should score a lot of goals moving forward this Year.  Dreger didnt mention any names (or what he believes the return would be) as at this point he belives its just speculation, but it sounds like he thinks it would be significant.
 

The good news about this is that I can't really see any way that you could make a Pacioretty trade as a 'win now" move.  Whatever else you may say about him (and I know that the opinions here run the gamut) Patches is the best on the team at something we really struggle with: scoring.  I don't see any reasonable trade that we could make with him as the centerpiece that would make us better in the short-term.

So if Bergevin is considering trading Pacioretty, you've got to think that he's at least entertaining the idea of a real rebuild.  I mean he's still not the guy that I want in charge of that rebuild, but at the very least it means that we're unlikely to see some of the doomsday scenarios that many are worried about (i.e. trading Galchenyuk, Mete, Hudon, etc. for short-term gains).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

The good news about this is that I can't really see any way that you could make a Pacioretty trade as a 'win now" move.  Whatever else you may say about him (and I know that the opinions here run the gamut) Patches is the best on the team at something we really struggle with: scoring.  I don't see any reasonable trade that we could make with him as the centerpiece that would make us better in the short-term.

So if Bergevin is considering trading Pacioretty, you've got to think that he's at least entertaining the idea of a real rebuild.  I mean he's still not the guy that I want in charge of that rebuild, but at the very least it means that we're unlikely to see some of the doomsday scenarios that many are worried about (i.e. trading Galchenyuk, Mete, Hudon, etc. for short-term gains).

Good point.  Although i have heard at least one media guy say that MB is looking to "shake up the team" with a trade.  You dont 'shake up the team" moving a guy like Davidson or DLR.   Even if he traded someone like Byron or Shaw I dont think it would really 'impact' the room much. If you move a guy like Pacioretty then people take notice.

Would a team pay in the form of a top 2 centre and a top 4 dman?  Not sure. But if they did, that would be a way MB could 'shake things up' and still not go into rebuild mode.   Pacioretty for RNH + Nurse  helps Edmonton (they gain a top scorer to play LW and can move Draitsatl to the vacant #2c spot) and they get some much-needed cap relief for future trades.  We can take on the cap hits and we turn a position we're strongest at (LW) into 2 positions we're weakest at.   Not sure Edmonton would bite but that would be the type of deal that MB could make & still not have us in rebuild mode (although we would be getting younger in the process which is a good thing)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

   Pacioretty for RNH + Nurse  helps Edmonton (they gain a top scorer to play LW and can move Draitsatl to the vacant #2c spot) and they get some much-needed cap relief for future trades.  

But then EDM weakons their D which is already crap .

Its looking more and more  like last years playoff run was a one off

Take away # 93 then what ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Regis22 said:

But then EDM weakons their D which is already crap .

Its looking more and more  like last years playoff run was a one off

Take away # 93 then what ?

Maybe they want Alzner?  ha.

I agree that last year's playoff run was premature. They arent as good a team as they showed then (although they arent as bad as they look now). I think they'd make great trade partners with us but it might take a 3rd party.

We give up:  Pacioretty + Juulsen
We get:  Nurse + RNH

Edmonton gives up:  RNH + Nurse + _____?
Edmonton gets   Top pairing Dman+ Juulsen

Team 3 gives up top pairing Dman
Team 3 gets Pacioretty

Obviously you could argue, why not just trade Pacioretty to team 3 for the top pairing dman but I think if we play our cards right we can get an upgrade at centre and #1LD  When the guys at TSN talked about the hint of a Pacioretty deal it sounded like they thought the return would be massive, bigger than even Duchene brought. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A little rumour roundup:

Eric Engels:

- Believes that the habs have zero interest in trading Price
- Thinks we may not make a move till January 15 (6 weeks before the trade deadline).  Not sure why that date in particular but I think we might be well out of contention by then?
- Believes the team is trying to "protect" (his words) Victor Mete & will send him back to Junior soon.  
- Says the team believes the top needs are (surprise!) a top line centre and a defenseman to play next to Weber.  Easy peasey right? 

Darren Dreger:
- Says teams have enquired about Pacioretty. Isnt sure if Patches will be moved but believes it may be MB's best play. Pittsburgh is very interested, may not have what Mtl needs. Columbus and the Rangers are other teams rumoured to have called asking about Max. Rangers probably dont have what we want... columbus just might. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

A little rumour roundup:

Eric Engels:

- Believes that the habs have zero interest in trading Price
- Thinks we may not make a move till January 15 (6 weeks before the trade deadline).  Not sure why that date in particular but I think we might be well out of contention by then?
- Believes the team is trying to "protect" (his words) Victor Mete & will send him back to Junior soon.  
- Says the team believes the top needs are (surprise!) a top line centre and a defenseman to play next to Weber.  Easy peasey right? 

Darren Dreger:
- Says teams have enquired about Pacioretty. Isnt sure if Patches will be moved but believes it may be MB's best play. Pittsburgh is very interested, may not have what Mtl needs. Columbus and the Rangers are other teams rumoured to have called asking about Max. Rangers probably dont have what we want... columbus just might. 

 

Not surprised about Price, I don't see MB trading his one and only franchise player.

I haven't seen enough of Mete for an accurate assessment but from what I've seen there's really nothing left to learn for him in Junior.

We need a #1 centre and a #1 defenseman? Shocking news indeed :P

If CLB is truly interested in Pacioretty, my guess is MB would be trying to get his hands on Pierre-Luc Dubois.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to Eklund, Nugent-Hopkins talks are "white hot" and we are involved. 
Problem is, edmonton needs a defensman and unless they are interested in Alzner, i dont know who we can spare.  If there was a possibility of a 3rd team it might work.

If im giving up Patches though, i would hope for more than just RNH (albeit he's been phenomenal this year & he's several years younger than patches).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

According to Eklund, Nugent-Hopkins talks are "white hot" and we are involved. 
Problem is, edmonton needs a defensman and unless they are interested in Alzner, i dont know who we can spare.  If there was a possibility of a 3rd team it might work.

If im giving up Patches though, i would hope for more than just RNH (albeit he's been phenomenal this year & he's several years younger than patches).

I think I'd be happy if we could get Matt Barzal from the Islanders for Paciretty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...