The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

54 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I think I'd be happy if we could get Matt Barzal from the Islanders for Paciretty.

I would absolutely be interested in that.  Im not sure the isle would go for it but its possible.  Patches could be a key piece in getting Tavares to re-sign - if he could score 30-39 goals with the centres we've had, imagine him next to Tavares!

That would probably be a pretty fair deal.  Barzal is supremely talented & could end up being a phenom but he's unproven.  Pacioretty is a proven goal scorer,  a home-town boy (born less than an hour away from where the isles play) etc.  You're giving up a sure thing for potential (albeit pretty likely potential).    i would guess there'd be picks or prospects going each way too, just to balance it out and give a little 'insurance.'  

In Friedman's 31 thoughts today he talked about the Penguins being interested in Pacioretty if he became available. Could you imagine that top 6.

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist

Pacioretty-Malkin-Kessel

Disgusting. Would be hilarious to me if both Kessel and Pacioretty got run out of town and immediately won a cup.

14 hours ago, maas_art said:

Dubois + Murray   

for

Pacioretty + Alzner   

:rolleyes:

I'd love that deal, I don't see Kekalainen giving us Dubois and Murray for ~1.75 seasons of Pacioretty and the utterly useless Alzner though. They'd also be adding a ton of salary in the process.

Honestly, I can't think of any team willing to add Alzner. Given his contract, he most certainly has negative value in any trade you'd try to make happen.  

IF Matt Duchene, a 1 time 30 goal scorer is worth a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Girard, Kamensky, Bowers and Hammond, then I would think a guy who's scored 30 goals 5 out of the past 6 seasons would be worth a pretty good haul from the Isles.  My ask would be: 

To NYI: Max Pacioretty, Andrew Shaw

To MTL: Barzal, Ho Sang, Pulock, Dal Cole, Halak, NYI's 1st, 2018, CGY 1st, 2018, NYI's 2nd, 2018, CGY's 2nd, 2018

15 hours ago, maas_art said:

I would absolutely be interested in that.  Im not sure the isle would go for it but its possible.  Patches could be a key piece in getting Tavares to re-sign - if he could score 30-39 goals with the centres we've had, imagine him next to Tavares!

That would probably be a pretty fair deal.  Barzal is supremely talented & could end up being a phenom but he's unproven.  Pacioretty is a proven goal scorer,  a home-town boy (born less than an hour away from where the isles play) etc.  You're giving up a sure thing for potential (albeit pretty likely potential).    i would guess there'd be picks or prospects going each way too, just to balance it out and give a little 'insurance.'  

I watched the Isles against the Flyers. I was quite impressed with Barzal even though it's only the first pro game I've seen him play.

Its Ek, so...

"the Canadiens are getting tons of calls on captain Max Pacioretty, but I am told most offers have been "borderline ridiculous." The one exception being the LA Kings. The Kings put a "top quality D man + a serious big forward prospect" on the table."

Doughty + Kopitar?  Lol.

Seriously, not sure who they would offer (if this is even a thing) but the Kings do make some sense in terms of a team who we might trade Patches to (other division, wont see him much) and who has enough depth to be able to give up a solid player + top prospect for him. 

36 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Its Ek, so...

"the Canadiens are getting tons of calls on captain Max Pacioretty, but I am told most offers have been "borderline ridiculous." The one exception being the LA Kings. The Kings put a "top quality D man + a serious big forward prospect" on the table."

Doughty + Kopitar?  Lol.

Seriously, not sure who they would offer (if this is even a thing) but the Kings do make some sense in terms of a team who we might trade Patches to (other division, wont see him much) and who has enough depth to be able to give up a solid player + top prospect for him. 

everything ive heard about LA so far has been about alec martinez, so i guess theyd be offering him and a prospect. another "responsible" defenceman who cant score, how can we resist??

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Its Ek, so...

Doughty + Kopitar?  Lol.

Maybe the Kings think Patches will be their next Wayne Gretzky.

An excerpt from the media scrum that Chiarelli had today re his teams problems:

"As for external solutions, Chiarelli was understandably vague, saying “there are opportunities, we’re beating the bushes a little bit” and “we do have cap space and we intend to use it”, but stressing that contracts extending beyond the current season might cause issues. “This doesn’t mean that we’re not looking at other opportunities that are out there, and that we’re going to be patient all year.”

And:

"No fewer than four times did Chiarelli mention goaltending being an issue without being specifically prompted. In addition to the “defence including goaltending” comment, he added “starting goaltending” to a question citing deficiencies at right wing, defence, depth scoring and backup goalie; included a remark about “our goaltending being subpar this year”

According to Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, defenseman Ian Cole is actively being shopped by the Penguins. Multiple sources have told him several teams have expressed interest in the two time Stanley Cup Champion.

The 28 year old was a healthy scratch Monday against the Philadelphia Flyers, it was the third game in a row that Cole was a healthy scratch.

Cole is an unrestricted free agent after this season and only carries a $2.1million cap hit and could make double that on his new contract.

He ranked third in the league for blocked shots last season with 194 and put up 26 points in 81 games.

9 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

According to Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, defenseman Ian Cole is actively being shopped by the Penguins. Multiple sources have told him several teams have expressed interest in the two time Stanley Cup Champion.

The 28 year old was a healthy scratch Monday against the Philadelphia Flyers, it was the third game in a row that Cole was a healthy scratch.

Cole is an unrestricted free agent after this season and only carries a $2.1million cap hit and could make double that on his new contract.

He ranked third in the league for blocked shots last season with 194 and put up 26 points in 81 games.

Another bottom pairing guy. Get on it MB.:ph34r:

Eric Engels reporting that MB sent out a message to all GM's today announcing Brandon Davidson is available... so looks like Jerabek, Morrow, and maybe Mete remain ahead of him on the depth chart. But serious question: who is evaluating Alzner as being ahead of Davidson?

53 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Eric Engels reporting that MB sent out a message to all GM's today announcing Brandon Davidson is available... so looks like Jerabek, Morrow, and maybe Mete remain ahead of him on the depth chart. But serious question: who is evaluating Alzner as being ahead of Davidson?

Better question is,,, who would take Alzner over Davidson? We're stuck with this albatross 

• H_T_L locked this topic