The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

Wow, first mitchell, then holland, now davidson. What a whirlwind. who could be next!? byron froese?? no one is safe!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Deslaurier should keep his bags packed and the car running.:ph34r:

The Sabres and general manager Jason Botterill announced that they've placed 34 year old forward Matt Moulson on waivers. Moulson enjoyed great success playing beside John Tavares in New York with seasons of 30,31 and 36 goals. However after signing a huge five year deal prior to the 2014-15 season with the Sabres, he's production has had a drastic drop off and he's never even be able to hit the 20 goal plateau since. 

14 GP, -9, 13 SOG, this year. that's it!!!! Nothing else, no goals, no assists. 

54 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

The Sabres and general manager Jason Botterill announced that they've placed 34 year old forward Matt Moulson on waivers. Moulson enjoyed great success playing beside John Tavares in New York with seasons of 30,31 and 36 goals. However after signing a huge five year deal prior to the 2014-15 season with the Sabres, he's production has had a drastic drop off and he's never even be able to hit the 20 goal plateau since. 

The Sabres should either get a refund or sue him for breach of contract.

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

I remember when he was going UFA and a lot of people wanted him.  Im glad we showed no interest, it seemed very likely he was going to have a big drop off in points - Tavares was clearly helping pad his numbers.  His first year in Buffalo was "ok" but he's been really bad ever since. I suspect he passes easily through waivers. cant see anyone picking him up. 

Eklund has us linked to Mike Green.  No idea why as he's not really an upgrade on any of our slew of #4-6 dmen at this stage of his career.  Plus he's a right handed shot so that would put him on our 3rd pair.   I suppose if he was cheap enough he'd be a little insurance but he's almost as bad as Alzner has been positionally this year & he's not the skater he once was...

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Eklund has us linked to Mike Green.  No idea why as he's not really an upgrade on any of our slew of #4-6 dmen at this stage of his career.  Plus he's a right handed shot so that would put him on our 3rd pair.   I suppose if he was cheap enough he'd be a little insurance but he's almost as bad as Alzner has been positionally this year & he's not the skater he once was...

All the more reason for MB to go after him. :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

No to Moulson. No to Mike Green. You don't win in this league by signing or acquiring past-their-prime vets. We should have learned this lesson by now. You win by developing your own talent and finding skilled, fast, young, cheap talent.

you mean like what Bergy's be doing? <_<

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

No to Moulson. No to Mike Green. You don't win in this league by signing or acquiring past-their-prime vets. We should have learned this lesson by now. You win by developing your own talent and finding skilled, fast, young, cheap talent.

Agreed on neither player.

I do think there's a place for acquiring soon-to-be UFA veterans but you need a solid foundation for that to make sense.  Giving up a couple of 2nd rounders to acquire depth scorers to play in your bottom six (if you're a contending team) makes sense.  Giving up future picks to add in guys who will play key roles in your top 6 or top 4 means you are probably missing too many key pieces to begin with.

That said, if MB manages to nab some soon-to-be UFA in the new year, without giving up too much in the way of futures, I would be ok with trying one last cup run with this group. I dont think we'd get too far but you never know. Id want assurances that no matter what, wed be going into a proper re-tool this summer moving on from guys like Pacioretty & Weber. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agreed on neither player.

I do think there's a place for acquiring soon-to-be UFA veterans but you need a solid foundation for that to make sense.  Giving up a couple of 2nd rounders to acquire depth scorers to play in your bottom six (if you're a contending team) makes sense.  Giving up future picks to add in guys who will play key roles in your top 6 or top 4 means you are probably missing too many key pieces to begin with.

That said, if MB manages to nab some soon-to-be UFA in the new year, without giving up too much in the way of futures, I would be ok with trying one last cup run with this group. I dont think we'd get too far but you never know. Id want assurances that no matter what, wed be going into a proper re-tool this summer moving on from guys like Pacioretty & Weber. 

I trust MB's word too. It's not like he's ever lied before.

From the fourth period:

"According to one rival team executive, the Canadiens have been working the phones this season and exploring the marketplace in an attempt to upgrade their roster. Bergevin would like to add another offensive weapon up front and a mobile defenseman to his blueline, and is believed to be looking beyond short-term rental options."

In the same article they say that we may consider a guy like Simmonds as a rental and that we may be in dicussions with Buffalo where anyone but Eichel is open for discussion.

Eklund says were' in on Anton Slepyshev.  Seems like the oilers are always listed in trade rumors but seem unlikely do to much.  

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:42 AM, jwlk said:

both sergachev and suban lead there defence cores in points with 18, love to get my hands on them

A huge difference though is they are both on teams where neither is even considered their top 2 or 3 defensemen. Also both teams have a much more potent offensive group of forwards to get assists and points from.

2 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

A huge difference though is they are both on teams where neither is even considered their top 2 or 3 defensemen. Also both teams have a much more potent offensive group of forwards to get assists and points from.

so you wouldn't want either

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Bergevin would like to add another offensive weapon up front and a mobile defenseman to his blueline, and is believed to be looking beyond short-term rental options."

Yeah those are definitely big team needs. It'd be nice to get a real top line forward long term, but even failing that it'd be nice to add a middle 6 depth scorer. Defense is definitely lacking mobility, would be nice to get a real top pair elite guy, or even plug in a guy that's a bit older but is still a top 4 puck mover. Even if we can't find a top 4 guy it would be nice to bring in a bottom pair guy with some puck moving and skating skill.

Oh well. When teams get guys like that they tend to hang on to them and don't trade them for peanuts so I guess we're out of luck. Trades are so much easier on playstation.

• H_T_L locked this topic