The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah me too.  It seemed like the break between games would be when he did it but i guess he thinks the answer is in the room.

Will be interesting to see if he makes any moves before January.  

I know that trades can't be made during the Christmas break, but can they  be "formulated" during the break and implemented afterwards? 

Im not surprised, as a matter of fact Id be shocked if we do anything at all until the offseason, and hopefully by then MB is gone

MB made a bunch of moves, which I believe he sincerely thought were "win now" moves.  adding "guys who know how to win" who are grit, character etc all the adjectives we make fun of every day.  He sincerely thought this would work because he is a poor judge of hockey and reality in general.

NOW. 1 of 2 things is currently the case.

1. He is still living in his delusion, and will not give up our assets for futures, because he still thinks we can "win now." He would potentially go for a trade such as patchy for simmonds, as we were discussing, however why would philly want to do that. simmonds is a better player, and patchy will be a ufa soon and want a big raise. Im sure they have way better offers on the table. So in short, no one is giving us anything of immediate substance for our crappy players. 

2. The bubble has burst, but he must still give the appearance of living in his delusion, because even if he has finally had his come to jesus moment and realize he built a lousy team,he cant expect to keep his job.

So to sum up what I am saying here, is bargainboy is not gonna make any sensible trades (i.e our current assets for futures) and he will not find a dance partner to take one of our current assets and give us better assets.

Expect the usual adding of plugs at the deadline, and pray we finish poorly enough that our brilliant owner doesnt decide to give this guy one more crack at an offseason, which is a very legitimate concern due to this cap space being available and the cap itself going up. 

I think MB really doesn't know what direction to take the team in. He's a guy who has always emphasized stability and not panicking, except that now it's very evident his plan has not worked. So does he make a move to get rid of his core? Or does he continue to tweak without making an actual impact on his team's roster? Or does he try to add by sacrificing futures, but with the knowledge that this might just be digging the hole deeper? I think the right move is to rebuild on the fly and trade the likes of Price, Weber, and Pacioretty for players who can help now but expand the window by a few years. I just don't think MB is ready to throw in the towel on his current group just yet, and the longer he holds out, the harder it becomes to fix the problem.

Matt Beleskey has been placed on waivers by the Boston Bruins.

Beleskey has frequently been a healthy scratch this season, so the news isn't terribly surprising. Even still, it does highlight how bad his five-year, $18 million contract has been. That deal doesn't expire until 2019-20, so unless the Bruins are able to unload him, he might be bought out this summer.

Could he be our savior? :rolleyes::P

6 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Matt Beleskey has been placed on waivers by the Boston Bruins.

Beleskey has frequently been a healthy scratch this season, so the news isn't terribly surprising. Even still, it does highlight how bad his five-year, $18 million contract has been. That deal doesn't expire until 2019-20, so unless the Bruins are able to unload him, he might be bought out this summer.

Could he be our savior? :rolleyes::P

no no we already figured it out earlier in the year

andrew ladd. 31gp  8g 7a

great in the room. knows how to win. high levels of sticktuitiveness. 

32 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I think MB really doesn't know what direction to take the team in. He's a guy who has always emphasized stability and not panicking, except that now it's very evident his plan has not worked. So does he make a move to get rid of his core? Or does he continue to tweak without making an actual impact on his team's roster? Or does he try to add by sacrificing futures, but with the knowledge that this might just be digging the hole deeper? I think the right move is to rebuild on the fly and trade the likes of Price, Weber, and Pacioretty for players who can help now but expand the window by a few years. I just don't think MB is ready to throw in the towel on his current group just yet, and the longer he holds out, the harder it becomes to fix the problem.

Totally agree with your post - both on what is going through MB's head and what we should do to fix things.  I dont think he will, mind you.  

Its another frustrating situation where the answer is obvious but MB is (most likely)  going to stubbornly wait until its basically too late.  We had a great team but needed a coach with a system but it took him several years before he replaced MT.  By the time we got Julien, the roster was severely weaker and MB missed the boat. 

The really frustrating part is that i think you could move guys like you mentioned & get packages of picks and young players, some of whom could help us now.  We are not devoid of young talent on our roster either. Guys like Carr and Sherkbak need not play on the 4th line.   Its entirely possible with how incredibly horrible our division is, that we could trade away those big names, promote some of our younger guys (and add in young guys from a trade) and still squeak into the playoffs this year.   We'd be far better set for the future and we would still be as competitive as we are now, most likely. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Totally agree with your post - both on what is going through MB's head and what we should do to fix things.  I dont think he will, mind you.  

Its another frustrating situation where the answer is obvious but MB is (most likely)  going to stubbornly wait until its basically too late.  We had a great team but needed a coach with a system but it took him several years before he replaced MT.  By the time we got Julien, the roster was severely weaker and MB missed the boat. 

The really frustrating part is that i think you could move guys like you mentioned & get packages of picks and young players, some of whom could help us now.  We are not devoid of young talent on our roster either. Guys like Carr and Sherkbak need not play on the 4th line.   Its entirely possible with how incredibly horrible our division is, that we could trade away those big names, promote some of our younger guys (and add in young guys from a trade) and still squeak into the playoffs this year.   We'd be far better set for the future and we would still be as competitive as we are now, most likely. 

LOL

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Really this is on Molson. He should be able to see that 

1. this team is poorly constructed, is not gonna win jack, and needs to be rebuilt

2. MB has to be fired, because even if we mandate MB to sell off and rebuild, we cannot reasonably trust his player evaluation anymore since hes the one who built this loser.

You almost cant blame MB here anymore. Its all clear, he has to stay his course or fall on his sword.  So, like I said, 100% he will not do whats prudent, he will stay his own dumb course that he laid, because he has to now whether he still believes in it or not. 

So just to get back on topic here, your latest rumour from uncle jeff is dont hold your breath because no trades are happening this year other than nobody mcnobodyerson for jonas von euroleaguenson

Here's a source citing Darren Dreger:

“I don’t know why I feel this way because Tavares has never said this to me directly. I’ve never heard this from Brisson or anyone deeply associated with him. I think that Tavares would like to play for the Montreal Canadiens.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-tavares-has-earned-right-to-test-ufa-market/

27 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

“I don’t know why I feel this way because Tavares has never said this to me directly. I’ve never heard this from Brisson or anyone deeply associated with him. I think that Tavares would like to play for the Montreal Canadiens.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-tavares-has-earned-right-to-test-ufa-market/

It wouldn't surprise me if Tavares wanted to play for a Canadian team and the Habs would be his 1st choice. 

6 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Tavares wanted to play for a Canadian team and the Habs would be his 1st choice. 

What we have to our advantage:

- Canadian team (which he might want)

- We have the cap space

- We have some of his Olympic teammates and an established coach

- We have an opening for a #1 center

You always wonder about his desire to go home to Toronto, but he's not going to be the 1C there with Matthews. Is he willing to play the Evgeni Malkin or Mark Messier role? And you wonder if he just wants to get an idea of what he could get on the open market but that he's almost fixated on returning to the Islanders and just wants to set his market value first. If staying put or going to his hometown are priorities than we don't really have a shot, but otherwise, Montreal does make a lot of sense and signing him would really change the complexion of what you do. It might be the only legit reason for Marc Bergevin to not dump his core until he knows what Tavares is doing.

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

- We have the cap space

You always wonder about his desire to go home to Toronto, but he's not going to be the 1C there with Matthews. Is he willing to play the Evgeni Malkin or Mark Messier role? And you wonder if he just wants to get an idea of what he could get on the open market but that he's almost fixated on returning to the Islanders and just wants to set his market value first. If staying put or going to his hometown are priorities than we don't really have a shot, but otherwise, Montreal does make a lot of sense and signing him would really change the complexion of what you do. It might be the only legit reason for Marc Bergevin to not dump his core until he knows what Tavares is doing.

Which is why I think the Habs are his 1st choice. He's not gonna play second fiddle for 9-10 mil/year.

52 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Even if we were to sign Tavares in the summer, we'd still have very little in the way of a D core.

What would be fantastic is if we could pull off a trade of Weber for a young D man and a top 6 forward and then sign John Carlsson. Imagine something like Weber for Nurse and Puljujarvi with a D corps of

Mete-Carlsson

Nurse-Petry

Jerabek-Schlemko

Juulsen

I could live with that.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

If he does come perhaps they'll find a more creative role for him leaving him at wing, leave Drouin at center, Galchenyuk & Plecanek at wing. <_<

43 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

What would be fantastic is if we could pull off a trade of Weber for a young D man and a top 6 forward and then sign John Carlsson. Imagine something like Weber for Nurse and Puljujarvi with a D corps of

Mete-Carlsson

Nurse-Petry

Jerabek-Schlemko

Juulsen

I could live with that.

Certainly, but... boy o' boy is that a lot of ifs.

I also wonder if Weber might be part of the attraction for a player like Tavares. Because, ya know, pedigree and all that. Moving Weber might make Montreal a less attractive destination for him. I mean, we might be objectively better if we move Weber, but I'm not sure that's how a player like Tavares would view it.

FWIW, Dans Les Coulisses is reporting that the Habs and Flames have had talks about Pacioretty. Grant McCagg of recrutes also wrote an article stating Calgary would be a destination that could be a good fit as a trade partner for Pacoretty, although he suggests Jankowski and a young defenceman (but not Vilimaki) as two guys we should be targeting, and I'm not interested in his trade concept at all. I proposed a much bigger haul, which I think is in line with what Colorado demanded and got for Duchene. But even if we don't get all the pieces I suggested we ask for, I think any deal with Calgary has to at the very least include Bennett and Vilimaki. Otherwise I have no interest, and I think we could do better looking at another roster. Edmonton is heating up and remains another option. The Isles could be another team to look at, although strengthening their roster could ironically push Tavares to stay there. Pittsburgh, Chicago, Nashville, St. Louis, Anaheim, and Dallas could also be teams with interest, so I think there's a pretty broad market out there for Pacioretty, and I don't think we need to settle for an offer we're not happy for (and certainly not one for a player like Jankowski who projects as maybe being another player the caliber of Philip Danault and a B level defence prospect). We're under no obligation to trade Pacioretty, so we're really in the driver's seat in terms of what we should accept.

Tavares isn't signing with Montreal .He'll probably re sign with NYI .

- We have the cap space

And the disadvantage - a bad hockey club , language , intense media scrutiny

He has friends all over the NHL, if a team wanited him badly they could find a spot for him and make it work

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

He has friends all over the NHL, if a team wanited him badly they could find a spot for him and make it work

If I was a betting man, I'd also have my money on his re-signing with the Isles. But like with Stamkos, I do think we're one of the teams in the mix should Tavares decide to go to market. And no, not every team has the self-imposed budget to be able to afford Tavares and no, not every team could make him their number one center... Pit isn't dumping or relegating Crosby to make it happen; Toronto and Edmonton aren't doing that to Matthews or McDavid; etc. So if JT feels like being a clear #1 center and getting paid and still having a shot at a Cup are important to him, then there are about 15 franchises that he can cross off his list. Phoenix can't afford him. He isn't going to go to Colorado. He isn't going to Vegas. Ottawa isn't going to pay him if they're not willing to pay Karlsson to stay. And so on... so sure, I'd agree that the Isles remain the leader of the pack, but not sure why you think we have no chance and I completely disagree that any team can just go out and sign him.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

FWIW, Dans Les Coulisses is reporting that the Habs and Flames have had talks about Pacioretty. Grant McCagg of recrutes also wrote an article stating Calgary would be a destination that could be a good fit as a trade partner for Pacoretty, although he suggests Jankowski and a young defenceman (but not Vilimaki) as two guys we should be targeting, and I'm not interested in his trade concept at all. I proposed a much bigger haul, which I think is in line with what Colorado demanded and got for Duchene. But even if we don't get all the pieces I suggested we ask for, I think any deal with Calgary has to at the very least include Bennett and Vilimaki. Otherwise I have no interest, and I think we could do better looking at another roster. Edmonton is heating up and remains another option. The Isles could be another team to look at, although strengthening their roster could ironically push Tavares to stay there. Pittsburgh, Chicago, Nashville, St. Louis, Anaheim, and Dallas could also be teams with interest, so I think there's a pretty broad market out there for Pacioretty, and I don't think we need to settle for an offer we're not happy for (and certainly not one for a player like Jankowski who projects as maybe being another player the caliber of Philip Danault and a B level defence prospect). We're under no obligation to trade Pacioretty, so we're really in the driver's seat in terms of what we should accept.

I agree, I think we should do ourselves a favour and actually make a sensible move for once with the one good trade chip we have left.

We need help at C and LD. so just like sakic did with duchene, you make it known he is available, and the asking price is a C and an LD.  Then you can get everyone's best offer, pick the 2 or 3 you like best, and leverage them against each other to try to squeeze out a decent draft pick as well. 

That might be hard though. GM- ing is hard :(

17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

signing him would really change the complexion of what you do. It might be the only legit reason for Marc Bergevin to not dump his core until he knows what Tavares is doing.

Honestly? I think this has been MB's plan all along. I think he made an offer or two for Tavares but when NYI werent interested he thought "i'll just sit back and wait" confident he can sign him this summer.  The problem is, unless he has (illegal) insider information, its a massive risk.  In the meantime we burn off a year (with many of our key players already over 30)  which is a huge problem in the first place.  If, like Stamkos, there's no chance we actually sign him then what a total waste of a season and plan on MB's part. 

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The promising thing here is that Pacioretty's name has been floated.   I love Max & i think he gets way too much criticism considering he's basically been a goal-scoring rock star for the past 5+ years but its no secret he's going to want a huge raise in a year and a half and I do not want to be on the hook for that next contract.  If we can turn him into valuable core players moving forward, we need to do so.  Like you though, id rather keep him till 2019 trade deadline if we cant get something of real value for him right now. 

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Seems about right, MB loves his grinders, I'm not sure calgary would make a good trade partner, There's gotta be someone else out there.

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

- We have the cap space

Would be nice if he did, But until it happens or he says something to the fact that he would love to play in montreal, i wont get my hopes up

5 hours ago, Regis22 said:

- We have the cap space

I agree with this 100%, why would he want to come to a team falling apart at the seams?.. He does have friends all over the league. He also would be closer to a Stanley cup in TO, not to mention being in his home province. Why would he have to be the number 2 guy. More like two number one guys. 

Cups in the last 15 years, PITTS - Crosby and Malkin, CHI - Kane and Toews, ANA - Perry and Getslaf, DET, Zetterberg and Datsyk

Toronto - Tavares and Mathews...

TO could have a dream team...

And yes every team in the league would be in on this guy. They would find cap space in a hurry no matter what his demands were..

• H_T_L locked this topic