The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

Per  Richard Labbe of La Press: 

According to Rick Curran (Plekanec's agent) there is a mutual interest to bring TP back to Montreal:“Tomas’s heart is still in Montreal, absolutely,” Curran said in a telephone interview. "I think everyone knows that. We also know that the Canadiens would like to bring Tomas back to his ranks, as the club’s management has already indicated.” “The Canadian will try to bring back Tomas if it is possible to do so.” If the Canadiens were to bring back Plekanec, it would be at a much lower salary than the $6 million he made per season on his last two-year deal. “There is a mutual interest for such a scenario between us and Montreal, but there is still much that can happen between now and the opening of market,” said Curran. It is still a little early, it will be necessary to see how the portrait will end up drawing, it will be necessary to see if the pieces are put in place or not.”

Per Brian Burke (via SiriusXM NHL )

Brian Burke thinks Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin has identified a couple of centers that would help the Canadiens in future years (not next season) and that they will trade down in the first-round to draft one of them.

Per Jimmy Murphy (who i trust only a smidge more than Eklund FWIW)

Have been hearing that the Oilers and Canadiens could restart trade talks that they held before the trade deadline. There have been numerous names discussed but nothing concrete. Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin is not done changing his roster.

The TSN insiders say they still expect Pacioretty to be traded. The suggestion is that any deal for players like Hoffman, Pacioretty, or Skinner are being held up by the Kovalchuk sweepstakes. Teams think they can get a winger sniper without having to give up any assets in a trade, so until they know they're out on Kovalchuk, they're reluctant to make a trade. Rumor is that once Kovalchuk makes his decision, the scoring wingers will start to be traded.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

The TSN insiders say they still expect Pacioretty to be traded. The suggestion is that any deal for players like Hoffman, Pacioretty, or Skinner are being held up by the Kovalchuk sweepstakes. Teams think they can get a winger sniper without having to give up any assets in a trade, so until they know they're out on Kovalchuk, they're reluctant to make a trade. Rumor is that once Kovalchuk makes his decision, the scoring wingers will start to be traded.

Yeah i think people blew MB's comments out of proportion. He said "at this point in time," he expects captain Max Pacioretty to be back with the team next season. Considering he's under contract, and no trade is finalized thats kind of the only thing to say.  

I also think MB is pushing hard for a new captain (probably weber, maybe gally) and moving pacioretty will make that easier/less awkward. 

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

Per  Richard Labbe of La Press: 

According to Rick Curran (Plekanec's agent) there is a mutual interest to bring TP back to Montreal:“Tomas’s heart is still in Montreal, absolutely,” Curran said in a telephone interview. "I think everyone knows that. We also know that the Canadiens would like to bring Tomas back to his ranks, as the club’s management has already indicated.” “The Canadian will try to bring back Tomas if it is possible to do so.” If the Canadiens were to bring back Plekanec, it would be at a much lower salary than the $6 million he made per season on his last two-year deal. “There is a mutual interest for such a scenario between us and Montreal, but there is still much that can happen between now and the opening of market,” said Curran. It is still a little early, it will be necessary to see how the portrait will end up drawing, it will be necessary to see if the pieces are put in place or not.

One of Bergevin's intangibles?

49 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Interesting... with Hoffman ending up in Florida, I guess a potential Pacioretty deal to the Panthers is off the table now.

"ChiLla! Trades are hard, bro!" -MB, 2018

But yes... disappointing as Florida has apparently been interested in Pacioretty. I wonder where he'll end up now?

8 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

"ChiLla! Trades are hard, bro!" -MB, 2018

But yes... disappointing as Florida has apparently been interested in Pacioretty. I wonder where he'll end up now?

I think Marc Bergevin should amend his most quoted soundbite:

Instead of "trades are hard."  It should be:

"trades are easy!   good trades are hard... im living proof!"

43 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think Marc Bergevin should amend his most quoted soundbite:

Instead of "trades are hard."  It should be:

"trades are easy!   good trades are hard... im living proof!"

Bergevin has made VERY good trades!!!

In favor of all the other teams but our own. ;)

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Apparently we are "considering" Jason Spezza, which is awesome because he's 35 and has been declining for several years.  Maybe the stars would take Mete for him?  

Actually this might be good news. That could mean they are really going to rebuild and going to take on Spezza's contract for one year because why not? A 7th for their 2, 7, and Spezza for example.

I'm probably crazy for thinking MB is going full rebuild but I'm just saying Spezza could be a good move in the right context

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Apparently we are "considering" Jason Spezza, which is awesome because he's 35 and has been declining for several years.  Maybe the stars would take Mete for him?  

Oh boy! Desperation kicking in early!

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

Actually this might be good news. That could mean they are really going to rebuild and going to take on Spezza's contract for one year because why not? A 7th for their 2, 7, and Spezza for example.

I'm probably crazy for thinking MB is going full rebuild but I'm just saying Spezza could be a good move in the right context

Don't be crazy. Do you honestly believe MB is going to go full rebuild now? He's going to make desperation move after desperation move to keep his job.

15 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Yeah, there are certainly scenarios where taking Spezza would be a positive (for example if we drafted Kotkaniemi knowing he wouldnt be ready for another year) then you take on Spezza as more of a salary dump from Dallas (im not sending them any actual "assets") to fill i that spot for a year.  then you have Kotkaniemi (or Poehling) to duke it out for his spot in a year.  We'd still need a top centre because at best Spezza is a stop gap at #2. 

...but is Bergevin so I have to assume at this point if he did this it would be because he thinks a 35 year old Spezza is still a good choice as a #1C. 

4 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Interesting... with Hoffman ending up in Florida, I guess a potential Pacioretty deal to the Panthers is off the table now.

It's an interesting day for the Habs and the Pacioretty market, for the following reasons:

1. Florida was rumored to be a possible destination for Pacioretty and a place he was rumored to be interested in signing long-term. I'd agree with your line of thinking, that this likely takes them out of the market for MP.

2. The Sharks managed to flip Boedkker for Hoffmand and Hoffman for picks, which clears salary for them. I talked about this once they signed Kane, but the only way they were going to become players for Tavares was if they dumped salary elsewhere, and now they have. They probably become one of the top 3 favorites to land Tavares now.

3. Speaking of Tavares, rumor is that Pat Brisson and Tavares will only speak to up to 5 teams if they decide to go to market... gotta figure Toronto, Vegas, San Jose, and St. Louis are among the front-runners... doesn't leave a big in for Bergevin. Chances very slim for us at this point.

4. The Sens got worse today. We knew it would happen, but now that train is rolling. They will be serious competition for the #1 overall and Hughes next year, and it likely increases their chances of giving Colorado the #4 overall this year. My gut is that they will indeed give Colorado this year's pick, and if we pass on Zadina, I think that's the guy Colorado takes. If we take Zadina, I imagine they take a D man like Quinn Hughes.

5. If the market for wingers is not that great (and it's undoubtedly the case that Hoffman's value was dragged down by the off ice issues), then maybe re-signing Pacioretty becomes the best option. Or waiting til later in the season to trade him. And if you do that, I wonder if that increases the pressure or need to trade Price or Weber (which isn't to say Bergevin realizes this, only that it becomes utter stupidity to keep all three of those guys on long-term deals).

5. If the market for wingers is not that great (and it's undoubtedly the case that Hoffman's value was dragged down by the off ice issues), then maybe re-signing Pacioretty becomes the best option. Or waiting til later in the season to trade him. And if you do that, I wonder if that increases the pressure or need to trade Price or Weber (which isn't to say Bergevin realizes this, only that it becomes utter stupidity to keep all three of those guys on long-term deals).

Yeah its not out of the question that Patches gives us another good deal. He knew he was giving the team a break when he signed that last contract. If he does the same again then maybe he's worth keeping around for a few years & possibly trading when we finally have a good GM / are in a full rebuild. 

45 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

According to Andy Strickland of the Stl media, Paul Stastny is rumored to prefer re-signing in Winnipeg or returning to Colorado. I think this is in our best interest, he isn't a good fit here.

Agreed.  Id happily take Statsny for 2 years but I suspect he wants 5 or more.   With the move by SJ today I agree that our chances of signing Tavares are getting slimmer by the day. In that case i think its in our best interest to go with a 2 tier centre (1a and 1b) system. You're not going to get an ellite centre via trade with MB at the helm.  Our two options were: to get a young elite centre (big risk) by trading Galchenyuk or Patches. - or, we move someone like Weber or Price to get an established guy  - neither options are something I think MB will do 

If the price isnt too high, adding a guy like ROR and then maybe signing a veteran center may be the only option until Kotkaniemi and Poehling are ready.  Interestingly, if we do sign Kot, you can play him in Laval next year even though he's only 17.  Because he comes from a European league, there's no junior contract to get in the way. With Bouchard down there Im not adverse to that at all.  

5 minutes ago, Born-To-Be-A-Hab said:

vanreindyk  from Toronto might be an option for 2nd center position . forgive my spelling .

he's always been a better winger than centre.  He's played centre off and on but when teams are healthy he's always back at LW.  I think if we sign or acquire someone to play centre, it needs to be a guy thats a true, bone fide, no questions asked, absolutely, positively centre. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah its not out of the question that Patches gives us another good deal. He knew he was giving the team a break when he signed that last contract. If he does the same again then maybe he's worth keeping around for a few years & possibly trading when we finally have a good GM / are in a full rebuild. 

Agreed.  Id happily take Statsny for 2 years but I suspect he wants 5 or more.   With the move by SJ today I agree that our chances of signing Tavares are getting slimmer by the day. In that case i think its in our best interest to go with a 2 tier centre (1a and 1b) system. You're not going to get an ellite centre via trade with MB at the helm.  Our two options were: to get a young elite centre (big risk) by trading Galchenyuk or Patches. - or, we move someone like Weber or Price to get an established guy  - neither options are something I think MB will do 

If the price isnt too high, adding a guy like ROR and then maybe signing a veteran center may be the only option until Kotkaniemi and Poehling are ready.  Interestingly, if we do sign Kot, you can play him in Laval next year even though he's only 17.  Because he comes from a European league, there's no junior contract to get in the way. With Bouchard down there Im not adverse to that at all.  

I'd personally prefer to forget the stopgap if it means giving up assets and instead concentrate on getting a guy who can be here for 7-8 years. Poehling might be one guy. If we draft a center in the first round, maybe that's another. But honestly, I'd rather suck for another year and get a shot at Hughes or one of the other good centers in next year's draft rather than plugging in a Stastny or ROR and being a middle of the pack team for nothing. I'd rather be great in 3 years than be middling for the next 2. And yes, I would absolutely trade Weber, Price, and so on to put ourselves in line for bigger and better things in the future.

Interestingly, the Habs supposedly had a lunch with Tkachuk a couple of days ago in Buffalo, and Tkachuk did an interview recently where they asked him if he expects to play in the NHL next year and his response was "I think I can, I have the size and physical ability to keep up, I'm a big two-way center and some teams might think I can step in right away." I found it interesting to note that he referred to himself as a center and also that he implied some teams might need a guy in that role right away... seemed to me to be a reference to us more than anyone else at the top of the draft.

I'd personally prefer to forget the stopgap if it means giving up assets and instead concentrate on getting a guy who can be here for 7-8 years. Poehling might be one guy. If we draft a center in the first round, maybe that's another. But honestly, I'd rather suck for another year and get a shot at Hughes or one of the other good centers in next year's draft rather than plugging in a Stastny or ROR and being a middle of the pack team for nothing. I'd rather be great in 3 years than be middling for the next 2. And yes, I would absolutely trade Weber, Price, and so on to put ourselves in line for bigger and better things in the future.

Oh I completely agree. My point about "in our best interests" simply refers to what i think is plausible under Marc Bergevin. I dont think he'll do the right thing (trade Weber or Price) and I dont think he's going to stay status quo (but i didnt think he would last year either).  So scenario 3 (a stop-gap) is probably the best case scenario that we as fans can hope for and actually expect. its not the right move.

Interestingly, the Habs supposedly had a lunch with Tkachuk a couple of days ago in Buffalo, and Tkachuk did an interview recently where they asked him if he expects to play in the NHL next year and his response was "I think I can, I have the size and physical ability to keep up, I'm a big two-way center and some teams might think I can step in right away." I found it interesting to note that he referred to himself as a center and also that he implied some teams might need a guy in that role right away... seemed to me to be a reference to us more than anyone else at the top of the draft.

Thats very interesting indeed.  

I really hope we pull a rabbit out of the hat & nab another top 10 pick. I have a feeling this is going to be a very good year for talent in the top 8-10. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Oh I completely agree. My point about "in our best interests" simply refers to what i think is plausible under Marc Bergevin. I dont think he'll do the right thing (trade Weber or Price) and I dont think he's going to stay status quo (but i didnt think he would last year either).  So scenario 3 (a stop-gap) is probably the best case scenario that we as fans can hope for and actually expect. its not the right move.

Thats very interesting indeed.  

I really hope we pull a rabbit out of the hat & nab another top 10 pick. I have a feeling this is going to be a very good year for talent in the top 8-10. 

lol but he's not a center *sigh* I don't know what to do anymore

16 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, there are certainly scenarios where taking Spezza would be a positive (for example if we drafted Kotkaniemi knowing he wouldnt be ready for another year) then you take on Spezza as more of a salary dump from Dallas (im not sending them any actual "assets") to fill i that spot for a year.  then you have Kotkaniemi (or Poehling) to duke it out for his spot in a year.  We'd still need a top centre because at best Spezza is a stop gap at #2. 

...but is Bergevin so I have to assume at this point if he did this it would be because he thinks a 35 year old Spezza is still a good choice as a #1C. 

Tomas Plekanec obviously! :D

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

As previously mentioned, could Ryan O'Rielly be our best option at this point? That salary hurts, but O'Rielly will be an effective centerman for several more years. We're not landing Tavares and we SHOULDN'T pursue Statsny. What would it take for Buffalo to budge? Do we just offer Pacioretty?

I dont have a huge problem with ROR if the price is right.  He's not a true #1 Centre but he's a fine 1b.  If we draft a guy like Kotkaniemi and there's even a chance he can play next year, you shelter him and play him in an exploitation role.  If not, then you try to get a guy with a year or two on his contract to take that 2nd line slot. 

If ROR was UFA Id jump to sign him. So the real question mark is: what does Buffalo want?  I would do Pacioretty for ROR (although id still prefer to go after an under 24 year old C or LD for him. Buffalo might want youth though.  Tough call.  Sounds like he's not going to start there in october but i dont think they are giving him away either. 

Could you imagine a line of 

Domi - ROR - Gallagher  ?

They would be absolutely brutal to play against. They'd be buzzing all over all 3 zones.  

• H_T_L locked this topic