The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

48 minutes ago, maas_art said:

You know, I wouldnt be surprised at all if they flip Nylander for a defensman - AND - I actually could see the leafs having huge interest in Weber.   So your suggestion isnt actually that far-fetched -  and, unlike say, the Subban for Weber deal, this would make a lot of sense because the Leafs now officially have a 'window' and really could use a top pairing RD.  They may have the best group of forwards in the league but after Reilly they have some holes on d.  Weber would help that group immensely.  

Unfortunately i think the holdup would be MB who would probably balk even though it would likely end up being one of the best moves he ever made.   So frustrating. 

totally, I made a joke about it but the suggestion is completely serious, thats a fantastic fit for the leafs. they need a stay at home RD to hold down a bunch of young dynamic kids and babcock loves weber.

even if they wouldnt give up nylander i wonder what they WOULD give up.  like you said,frustrating. because you know that phone call hasnt and wont happen

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

Weber is injured though, and they are not trading Nylander within division, probably not conference 

They'll trade Nylander wherever they have to to give themselves the best shot at a Cup. If they can get Weber, I don't think they'd care that Nylander stays in their division.

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Nothing of value IMO

Not sure why you think that.   They got a 4th line centre. We got a 2nd round pick, a pretty sure-thing NHL defenseman (albeit #4-6) and a prospect who was far from a sure-thing but still had a top 6 ceiling.  

You cant look at the deal 1/2 a year later & say "well, i dont like how so and so has played" the point is that at the time - when they made the trade- they gave up several decent pieces for a player who was clearly 1-dimensional because he met their needs.  Weber meets their biggest need to a T.  I have little doubt they'd pay handsomely for Weber but MB is too stubborn to even consider it. 

14 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Not sure why you think that.   They got a 4th line centre. We got a 2nd round pick, a pretty sure-thing NHL defenseman (albeit #4-6) and a prospect who was far from a sure-thing but still had a top 6 ceiling.  

Because,  as of today , what the Habs got in return for TP - isn't an NHL roster player . Rycehl didn't even stay a Hab .

The pretty sure thing NHL D man - are you referring to Rinat Valiev  . That guy couldn't crack the Leafs line up

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Because,  as of today , what the Habs got in return for TP - isn't an NHL roster player . Rycehl didn't even stay a Hab .

The pretty sure thing NHL D man - are you referring to Rinat Valiev  . That guy couldn't crack the Leafs line up

So, it's a lose/lose trade? But,,,,,,,,,, we have him back to bolster our scoring. :P

14 hours ago, Regis22 said:

the kid we drafted-olofsson- apparently fell to us. was expected to go much higher. maybe thats reason for skepticism but at the moment it looks like we got a good prospect. thats more than I expected for a guy who is utterly finished(and who will be playing 17 minutes a night with skill players ugh)

5 hours ago, Windoe said:

Fun question for you: If you knew that trading Weber for Nylander would result in the Leafs winning the 2018-2019 cup would you still do it?

That’s a good “Would you rather ...” question. 

I don’t dislike Weber, just his contract, but we’ve now got an albatross contract of our own making so I’d just as soon unload his. Short term pain for long term gain.

Leafs fans are already obnoxiously and annoyingly high on themselves so I could probably handle them winning it all. Once. For at least another 50 years. 

Of course, now that I read what I typed, I feel a little sick. 

We want to trade Weber, which we should, but to think you are getting anything of value back is crazy, he is a 33 year old deeman, with a cap hit of almost 8 million for the next hundred years, plus he will not have played hockey in over a  year when he comes back and he was already slow for the new game.

No way will Toronto give you Nylander for Weber. If they trade Nylander who is only 22 years old and already has surpassed 60 points twice its going to be for a deeman who is capable of playing for the next 5 plus years at a really high level.

The like of Elkhom, Ryan Ellis out of Nashville, Oliver Ekman Larsson, etc.

Quite Frankly with their scoring I am not even sure their dee is going to be an issue for them anyway.

They do a have a young core so they will only get better each year Carrick 24, McDemott 21, Reilly 24, Zaitsev 26, Borgman 23 ..You can always pick up an aging veteran or two for almost nothing at the trade dealine to fill holes..

10 hours ago, Windoe said:

Fun question for you: If you knew that trading Weber for Nylander would result in the Leafs winning the 2018-2019 cup would you still do it?

Without hesitation after I picked myself off of the floor. Kinda like David Poile getting Subban for Weber.

12 hours ago, caperns61 said:

We want to trade Weber, which we should, but to think you are getting anything of value back is crazy, he is a 33 year old deeman, with a cap hit of almost 8 million for the next hundred years, plus he will not have played hockey in over a  year when he comes back and he was already slow for the new game.

No way will Toronto give you Nylander for Weber. If they trade Nylander who is only 22 years old and already has surpassed 60 points twice its going to be for a deeman who is capable of playing for the next 5 plus years at a really high level.

The like of Elkhom, Ryan Ellis out of Nashville, Oliver Ekman Larsson, etc.

Quite Frankly with their scoring I am not even sure their dee is going to be an issue for them anyway.

They do a have a young core so they will only get better each year Carrick 24, McDemott 21, Reilly 24, Zaitsev 26, Borgman 23 ..You can always pick up an aging veteran or two for almost nothing at the trade dealine to fill holes..

Here are the differences:

- OEL just re-upped in Arizona and the team doesn't have a reason to trade him. He's more valuable there than Nylander.

- I doubt Nashville would deal one of their star D men either, and if they do, it's because the deal blows them away.

- Babcock loves Weber. The Leafs feel like they're close to a Cup. They could use a veteran player who could eat up minutes on their blue line and be the lead for their youngsters.

- Weber is still highly-valued around the league. In a players' poll last year, he came out as one of the toughest D men to play against and a guy people wanted on their team.

So sure, are there a ton of younger D men that you would rather build a franchise around? Yes. Are there guys I would take ahead of Weber in a trade? Yes. But which of those guys is available and at what cost? For a team that feels it's really close to a Cup run but that needs a little something to push them over, you're willing to overpay to fill a hole, and Toronto has been clear that they see their biggest hole as "a top pairing right-handed defenceman who can play the PP."

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

So sure, are there a ton of younger D men that you would rather build a franchise around? Yes. Are there guys I would take ahead of Weber in a trade? Yes. But which of those guys is available and at what cost? For a team that feels it's really close to a Cup run but that needs a little something to push them over, you're willing to overpay to fill a hole, and Toronto has been clear that they see their biggest hole as "a top pairing right-handed defenceman who can play the PP."

This. Trades arent made in a Vacuum. Unfortunately I just cannot see MB moving Weber.  Maybe for a young dynamic player like Nylander but even then i just see him as thinking its admitting the fault in trading for Shea in the first place. 

The Weber contract is NOT bad. I hate it when people bring this into the analysis of him. It will be easily moved and he will likely retire early. Price's contract is BAD, Weber's is not bad at all. It was only really bad for Nashville and still is. It could be a little bad for us if we move him too early but nothing serious. 

His play? Criticize it all you want, but I'm reserving judgement until he comes back healthy cause he looked very good his first year here. 

Having said that, I would love to really rebuild if we can, so I'm all for moving Price and Weber. 

• H_T_L locked this topic