Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2017-18 If I Were GM


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

My To Do list as a new GM .......

1)Start the rebuild .... part of it has already begun by jettisoning Beaulieu and Emelin. Priority trades for our veterans will be Price, Pacioretty, and Weber. Assets sought in return will be high draft picks and/or young prospects with genuine upside.

Reasoning: Weber has reached his peak and arguably has started his decline. However, I believe there are enough GM's around the league that will ascribe a good trade value to acquiring him this offseason so we need to move on this now. In sports ... timing is EVERYTHING. Price and Patches are wonderful players but we are not close to winning with them as we need too many other pieces to get over the hump. They are both at max trade value NOW and are about to get VERY EXPENSIVE if we wait. We must move now ...... again ... looking for draft picks and/or young high end prospects.

This is a bold suggestion I know and many will argue against it but bold moves are the only ones that work ... not sitting back and whining about how hard it is to be a GM. We see the results of that. This team is boring, its defence is weak, and it cannot score. Acquiring Drouin is a wash at best because we are losing Radulov/Beaulieu/Emelin.

2)Re-sign Galchenyuk as an RFA and I would suggest something in the 5 years category at $5MM/season. The kid needs to know the franchise is invested in him for the long haul and that we are behind him, not scapegoating him. The time for dumping all over our #1 draft picks is OVER!

3)Markov is a spare part at the age of 39 and I would consider re-signing him for one more year but not for a penny over $4MM. He's a 5 or 6 D now so $4MM is a gift.

4)Give our young guys a shot at D and ditto for the few prospects at forward that we have. Pencil Hudon in as #1 Centre and see what happens. Likewise in goal ... liked what Lindgren showed last year and he along with Montoya should be challenged.

5)Clean house with coaching staff in Laval. That festering soar has been left unattended for far too long and there are plenty of young coaches hungry for an opportunity.

6)This should arguably be the #1 priority ... reconnect with the fans of this organization. They are the most vital resource any professional team can possess and the Habs have been abusing their fan base the last few seasons. Fans know when they are being lied to and taken for granted and sooner or later, they will find other things to do with their money. The General Manager needs to present a positive image in dealing with both the media and the fan base and transparency (as far as practical) should be stressed. The fans need to know the GM AND the coaching staff are doing everything they can to bring home the Cup to a market that has waited long enough .....

As part of the new transparency I would set a time frame for the team to be competitive and ultimately, to challenge for the Cup. If we were not legit contenders in 5 years then the accountability rests with the GM. The Leafs did it .... so can the Canadiens!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ No way Galchenyuk is taking 5M a season on a long-term deal. Comparables say he is worth around 6M. No way Markov takes under 4M given how desperately we need him at this point.

With Galchenyuk I suppose it depends on what comparables you are using for a guy who has not established a dominant position and is not defensively reliable but my suggestion was simply that .... an example. And why is the team so desperate to sign Markov and how does that justify over paying for him? I have enjoyed Markov as a player for this franchise but he is too old and a shadow of his former self. He can contribute still but at a lesser level. If you do not think this team needs to rebuild fine ... fine ... you are entitled to your opinion but if you are following my thesis then you understand the reasoning behind not overpaying for him.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eldag said:

With Galchenyuk I suppose it depends on what comparables you are using for a guy who has not established a dominant position and is not defensively reliable but my suggestion was simply that .... an example. And why is the team so desperate to sign Markov and how does that justify over paying for him? I have enjoyed Markov as a player for this franchise but he is too old and a shadow of his former self. He can contribute still but at a lesser level. If you do not think this team needs to rebuild fine ... fine ... you are entitled to your opinion but if you are following my thesis then you understand the reasoning behind not overpaying for him.  

 

We'll need to rebuild soon enough, but I don't think the time is now. We could be in a much better position but the current roster is still competitive enough to make the playoffs IMO.

As for Markov, after losing 3 LHD in Beaulieu, Sergachev and Emelin, I don't think we can afford losing Markov as well. In fact, we need to re-sign Markie and should probably add another LHD via free agency.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ChiLla said:

We'll need to rebuild soon enough, but I don't think the time is now. We could be in a much better position but the current roster is still competitive enough to make the playoffs IMO.

As for Markov, after losing 3 LHD in Beaulieu, Sergachev and Emelin, I don't think we can afford losing Markov as well. In fact, we need to re-sign Markie and should probably add another LHD via free agency.

Fair enough ... not all will agree that a rebuild is necessary now as it is a tough call to be sure. My view is that for precisely the reasons you cited (losses on defence) plus the obvious lack of scoring we are too many pieces away from being a true contender. If our corps players like Price and Patches were younger and we still had Subban plus Sergychev coming up I would feel differently but that is no longer our reality. The Habs will continue to muddle along in order to make the playoffs and in two years time Webber will be untradeable and Patches and Price will be expensive and have no movement clauses. THAT is my major fear and will start the long cycle of decay ......

Barring a miracle in free agency I believe this team will struggle mightily this season to make the playoffs ..... we shall see ...... :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2017 at 11:31 PM, ChiLla said:

We'll need to rebuild soon enough, but I don't think the time is now. We could be in a much better position but the current roster is still competitive enough to make the playoffs IMO.

I actually agree.  Id be shocked to see us miss the playoffs but i would also be surprised to see us win.  I guess its tough to evaluate right now since i dont know what opening night roster is going to be.  I still feel like MB will be aggressive this summer.

With the playoffs you never know.  Chicago was supposed to cakewalk over everyone in the West but were swept.  I think that with a few tweaks, a healthy team and a full year under Julien we will be much better prepared for next years' post season.   If i had to bet, id put us at the eastern conference final.  Dont know if we can get farther than that though. 

 

I think we have 2 years.  After that, the rebuild will start.  Will be interesting to see which core players are retained when that happens. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We currently have 18.5 in cap space

1. Move Plekanec for bag of pucks, have $24.5m in cap space

2. Sign Galchenyuk to $6m cap hit

3. Sign Radulov to $6.5m cap hit

4. Sign Markov to $3.5m cap hit

5. Sign Alzner to $3.5m cap hit

6. Sign Price to $9m cap hit (2.5 more than he's at currently)

Leaves you with $2.5 left over in cap space with...if you can chip and weasel out another $1m or so great, then you have $3.5 to go after a one year UFA guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Windoe said:

We currently have 18.5 in cap space

1. Move Plekanec for bag of pucks, have $24.5m in cap space

2. Sign Galchenyuk to $6m cap hit

3. Sign Radulov to $6.5m cap hit

4. Sign Markov to $3.5m cap hit

5. Sign Alzner to $3.5m cap hit

6. Sign Price to $9m cap hit (2.5 more than he's at currently)

Leaves you with $2.5 left over in cap space with...if you can chip and weasel out another $1m or so great, then you have $3.5 to go after a one year UFA guy. 

To play devil's advocate,

- Who is taking Plekanec? No one's accepting that contract now, especially not until they're done their own UFA shopping and RFA re-signing.

- Radulov wants 6-7M but he also wants a long-term deal, which means you need to think past just what this year's cap hit is. If he's locked in, you still have to be able to pay Pacioretty after next year.

- Markov reportedly wants 6M. I think he should get 4-4.5M, and his ask is ridiculous, but no way he'll sign for 3.5M.

- Alzner is reportedly looking for a deal upwards of 4.5M.

- Price has basically said he won't take a hometown discount and that other teams have found a way to fit their stars under the cap... maybe he settles for 9M, maybe he asks for 10M, who knows.

Point being that most of your wishlist, other than the Galchenyuk and maybe Radulov deals, is probably under-estimating actual costs slightly. Don't think we'll be getting more than two of Radulov, Markov, Alzner, or another UFA (i.e. it'll be 2 of those 3 guys OR it'll be one plus another UFA).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Price is what worries me the most. He has far too much leverage and you cant pay a goalie that much and win. We're going to really shoot ourselves in the foot by signing him and no closer to a cup

Yes, price is a star but at the least important position. You spend money on centers and defenseman not goalies and wingers. Good goalies are literally a dime a dozen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

Price is what worries me the most. He has far too much leverage and you cant pay a goalie that much and win. We're going to really shoot ourselves in the foot by signing him and no closer to a cup

Yes, price is a star but at the least important position. You spend money on centers and defenseman not goalies and wingers. Good goalies are literally a dime a dozen

I agree with you that goaltending is the toughest position to value and for that reason, I am not sure Price has as much leverage as you might think. What would another team be willing to pay him is what sets the market. Lundquist is the highest paid at $8.5MM and I would argue that is the upper most ceiling. The higher a percentage of your cap that you pay for goaltending, the less chance you have of truly contending. With Carey, I would argue for term of 8 years which gives him security but with a lower salary cap hit and front loaded. Example: Offer 8 years at total value of $60MM or $7.5MM/season. Have his salary come out at $5MM/season and front load $20MM in bonus payments over say the first 4 years. This is a suggestion if we must sign him which I still believe to be a mistake. I think Carey should be traded now at max value for picks and/or prospects.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have to resign Markov, right? It'll be a damn shame if we cannot get him on a 1-year deal. As far as I can tell, we have no choice. With rumors claiming Markov is looking for a 2-year deal, paying $6 million per season, we can assume there goes $6 million off the cap.

I really doubt we'll be bringing back Radulov. Which is a shame, because I think we NEED those 50+ points. People seem pretty keen on this Jordan Weal kid from Philadelphia. He's even a right-handed shot. He'd certainly be a risk, but we'll be in rebuilding mode in a year or two, so does it really matter? I think MB should take a risk, make an offer, and see if we can sign the kid to play in our top-six.

Resigning Galchenyuk is an obvious decision to me.

 

Andrei Markov (2 years, $6 million per season)

Alex Galchenyuk (6 years, $5.5 million per season)

Jordan Weal (4 years, $3.75 million per season)

 

That would leave is about $6 million in cap space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, habsisme said:

Price is what worries me the most. He has far too much leverage and you cant pay a goalie that much and win. We're going to really shoot ourselves in the foot by signing him and no closer to a cup

Yes, price is a star but at the least important position. You spend money on centers and defenseman not goalies and wingers. Good goalies are literally a dime a dozen

That may be true but not when you have a bad team in front of him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

We have to resign Markov, right? It'll be a damn shame if we cannot get him on a 1-year deal. As far as I can tell, we have no choice. With rumors claiming Markov is looking for a 2-year deal, paying $6 million per season, we can assume there goes $6 million off the cap.

My guess is that we will resign markov in one of 2 scenarios:

1)  $6m per for 1 year.  $6m total.

2) $4m per for 2 years.  $8m total.  (Even this will look bad if Markie regresses this year).

Like you, i think we pretty much have to resign Markov at this point.  I dont think MB will give him $6m and 2 years.  He might give him the money he wants for a year-to-year deal. But if he wants 2 years (putting him close to his 41st birthday when its done) i suspect MB will only agree to it if the money goes down per year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I was MB:

1) I wouldn't have worn those suit pants he did at the first day of the entry draft

2) I would sign Radulov for 6,5 M cap hit for 5 years but no more

3) I would trade for Duchene to be # 1 centre (Galchenyuk & SOMETHING ELSE IF THAT WHAT IT TAKES)

4) I would try to trade Plekanec (if unable buy him out)

5) I would not sign Markov (Drouin will be playing the left hand point on # 1 power play unit) and sign Alzner

5) I would sign Hanzal (4.5 M cap hit for 4 years?)

6) I would sign Christian Folin for  less than 1 M cap hit (insurance if Juulsen is developing slower than hoped)

7) depending on ability to sign/trade...I may need to make additional moves to stay under the annual team's salary cap.

Depth chart of centres heading into training camp could be:

1st line - Duchene

2nd line - Hanzal/Danault

3rd Line- Danault/Hanzel

4th Line - Mitchell/McCarron/Martinsen

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^^ I believe MB will pay Markov 2 years at 5.25-5.75M a season. I think he shot himself in the foot by making all the moves he did (Beaulieu, Emelin, Sergachev all gone) before locking up Markov and now he's going to feel like he has no options. I think he'll be more of a hardball with Radulov and be firm on the number of years. I don't think MB will go above 5 at most and probably not more than 4. I think it'll be up to Radulov to decide if he wants the shorter deal or to walk away. So I'd peg the odds of Markov coming back at 90% and Radulov at 25%.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ I believe MB will pay Markov 2 years at 5.25-5.75M a season. I think he shot himself in the foot by making all the moves he did (Beaulieu, Emelin, Sergachev all gone) before locking up Markov and now he's going to feel like he has no options. I think he'll be more of a hardball with Radulov and be firm on the number of years. I don't think MB will go above 5 at most and probably not more than 4. I think it'll be up to Radulov to decide if he wants the shorter deal or to walk away. So I'd peg the odds of Markov coming back at 90% and Radulov at 25%.

 

Those odds should be reversed. We need Radulov more than Markov if MB hadn't shot himself in the foot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Those odds should be reversed. We need Radulov more than Markov if MB hadn't shot himself in the foot.

Everything is relative to contract though. If Markov was willing to sign for 1 year at 4M, I'd rather have him than Radulov at 7M for 6 years. Agreed that Radulov has more value right now, but we can use both guys on the right deal and we should walk away from both guys if the deal is not there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Id actually prefer Markov at this point and here's why:  I  think if Radulov signs, MB will move Galchenyuk for a defensman.  If Markov signs, i think Galchenyuk probably stays with the team. 

On the flip side, if Radulov doesn't sign we get nothing but if Radulov signs and Galchenyuk is moved for the right package we could possibly come out ahead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...