Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 If I Were GM


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rocketbelifleur said:

RNH out 5-6 weeks. Does this throw wrench in the works? Maybe we'll never know.

 

I don't think so. The Oilers and Habs are probably both done for the year anyways. So any trade likely focuses on what could happen next year or thereafter. Weber, Pacioretty, RNH, and Draisaitl are all signed past this season, so you could argue any trade would be for what those players could do next year anyways.

In any case, with the revelation that the Habs might be going full rebuild, I'm somewhat of the mindset that we should be going for even younger players than RNH anyways. I'd rather get guys with higher ceilings and longer potential impacts but who are more of a gamble. You get enough of them and you're almost certainly going to hit on some of them. As I posted earlier, you could deal guys like Pacman, Weber, Petry, Shaw, Plekanec, etc and probably end up with 10-12 high-quality prospects or top picks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are thinking ahead to next year which would be good if you were the GM, but MB may be desperate to save the season (and maybe his job).

I'm thinking the Oilers are off the table in terms of trading any centre the habs could use now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

with the revelation that the Habs might be going full rebuild, I'm somewhat of the mindset that we should be going for even younger players than RNH anyways.

I agree.  Especially if we're willing to move Weber, I think you can get elite #1 centre potential coming back the other way from the right GM. 

1 hour ago, rocketbelifleur said:

You guys are thinking ahead to next year which would be good if you were the GM, but MB may be desperate to save the season (and maybe his job).

I'm thinking the Oilers are off the table in terms of trading any centre the habs could use now.

You may be right but i tend to disagree.  I think if MB makes any sort of trade to 'save this season' (essentially impossible at this point) he's as good as done.  The only hope he has of saving his job is to go into the draft with a great young core + more draft picks and say "Geoff, we're well on our way to being the next dynasty." 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

 

 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I agree.  Especially if we're willing to move Weber, I think you can get elite #1 centre potential coming back the other way from the right GM

Only a foolish GM would give up an elite potential # 1 C for an aging D man

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Only a foolish GM would give up an elite potential # 1 C for an aging D man

Not necessarily.  

If you're in a position to win NOW, and you have solid centres, you may well do so.  Edmonton if they were in the thick of a playoff race and didnt just have RNH go down) would fit the bill. They have 3 top 2 centres, including the best young C in the game.  They severely lack a top pairing dman.    Other teams (St Louis for example) may give up an elite potential #1 (thomas) for a scorer now (pacioretty) if they think it will put them over the top.   It was no secret what Calgary was getting when they traded for Jarome Iginla. But Dallas gave him up because they couldnt use him right then and Nieuwendyk helped them win their first and only cup.

Also,  there are some foolish GMs out there ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rocketbelifleur said:

You guys are thinking ahead to next year which would be good if you were the GM, but MB may be desperate to save the season (and maybe his job).

I'm thinking the Oilers are off the table in terms of trading any centre the habs could use now.

 

MB is desperate for neither. Thanks to Mr. Molson his job is also safe and secured.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

If I'm GM.  I would see if the following moves are possible this off-season, at the draft.  I would most likely be looking to take Joe Veleno if my pick is 6th or later:

 

To EDM: Brendan Gallagher, Paul Byron, David Schlemko, Joe Morrow, WSH 2nd, 2018

To MTL: Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Ryan Strome

 

To BUF: Max Pacioretty

To MTL: Ryan O'Reilly

 

To VAN: Andrew Shaw

To MTL: Ben Hutton

 

Line-up:

Galchenyuk, O'Reilly, Scherbak

Drouin, Nugent-Hopkins, Strome

Hudon, Veleno, Lehkonen

Deslauriers, Danault, Carr

 Hutton, Weber

Mete, Petry

Alzner, Juulsen

 

Price

Lindgren

Spares: Froese, L. Shaw, Jerebek

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

To EDM: Brendan Gallagher, Paul Byron, David Schlemko, Joe Morrow, WSH 2nd, 2018

To MTL: Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Ryan Strome

 

The 2 D men are UFA 's next year

No need for Edmonton to give quality for quantitiy IMO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really interesting article by Scott Matla here suggesting that one of our biggest things going into this deadline is the ability to take on cap space. 

If you took a team like the wild for example, they cant make any trades right now unless they free up cap space.  We could conceivably take on one of their bad expiring contracts for picks and then they can turn around and add to their roster.

Likewise, we could make a big deal with a team and sweeten the pot by taking back a bad contract.  For example:

Thomas + Dunn + Pick + Boowmeester

for

Pacioretty + Schlemko (or Morrow)

In this case we end up getting more (dunn) because we take on Boowmeester's bad contract (1 more year) and allow St Louis to sign some of their UFA this summer.  


Will be interesting to see if MB finally uses that cap space.   It would be nice to load the cupboards with draft picks since that cap space has just been sitting there anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

To EDM: Brendan Gallagher, Paul Byron, David Schlemko, Joe Morrow, WSH 2nd, 2018

To MTL: Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Ryan Strome

 

 

I think you're undervaluing Gallagher. I would bet that that we could get RNH and Strome (who i personally have no interest in) + some draft picks for Gallagher alone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I'm looking at it from the perspective of unloading Morrow and Schlemko and getting a centre back in the process.

sure, but i wouldn't throw in Byron

I'm in rebuild mode, so i don't care about Schlemko because its only 2 more years. But you're right, if we'd go after RNH, it's more of a retool so worth it to shed salary. 

My preference is still to really clean house and stock up in prospects. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, habsisme said:

sure, but i wouldn't throw in Byron

I'm in rebuild mode, so i don't care about Schlemko because its only 2 more years. But you're right, if we'd go after RNH, it's more of a retool so worth it to shed salary. 

My preference is still to really clean house and stock up in prospects. 

If winning a cup with Carey is the goal of MB.  Then taking advantage of GM's who are desperate (Boterill, Charelli) and bolstering our centre depth is key.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

If winning a cup with Carey is the goal of MB.  Then taking advantage of GM's who are desperate (Boterill, Charelli) and bolstering our centre depth is key.

Unfortunately MB is probably more desparate than them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, habsisme said:

sure, but i wouldn't throw in Byron

I'm in rebuild mode, so i don't care about Schlemko because its only 2 more years. But you're right, if we'd go after RNH, it's more of a retool so worth it to shed salary. 

My preference is still to really clean house and stock up in prospects. 

I like Paul Byron a lot but he's nearly 29 so if we're truly going into rebuild mode I think he's the type of player you move to get high end talent thats a year or 2 away from the nhl.  He fits anywhere in the bottom 9 and can play in any circumstance - he'd probably bring you a pretty decent return on his own and if you packaged him with the right player, the haul could be huge. 

I agree he shouldnt be a throw in though, unless it means being able to get Thomas AND Kyrou or something. There's got to be strong value coming back.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

My 2 teams of intrigue.

1. EDM

Edm is apparently open to moving 2 guys we could really use, RNH and Klefbom. They also apparently would really like a scoring winger, and we have that to offer. Does patchy get us both these guys? no way, but if I were gm, thats where the conversation begins.

I want klef and rnh, i have patch to give back, what else do you want?  shaw and a decent pick? maybe its gallagher or weber.....in which case edm has to sweeten their side on top of those 2. It seems theres a bigger deal to be made here. 

We are both coming off atrocious seasons, we both need to make some changes, we have players that fit the needs of the other. 

what do you guys think? Im happy to give patchy and more or less whatever else they might want to equal it up for those 2. that INSTANTLY would change the complexion of this team.

2.NYI

We keep talking about getting tavares here, but how desperate is NY to keep tavares there? they have a pretty good group of young forwards, they should be a playoff team if not for their terrible goaltending tandem.

Id be pushing a conversation that centres around price for barzal. 

 

trading Price is hard because 

a. we probably keep MB another year like the mickey mouse organization we are these days, so you know he wont do that after signing him 

b. even if its a new guy who actually wants to do this, im pretty sure price has the NMC

 

I do think there really is something there with edmonton though no matter who is in charge. what you folks think

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

My 2 teams of intrigue.

1. EDM

Edm is apparently open to moving 2 guys we could really use, RNH and Klefbom. They also apparently would really like a scoring winger, and we have that to offer. Does patchy get us both these guys? no way, but if I were gm, thats where the conversation begins.

I want klef and rnh, i have patch to give back, what else do you want?  shaw and a decent pick? maybe its gallagher or weber.....in which case edm has to sweeten their side on top of those 2. It seems theres a bigger deal to be made here. 

We are both coming off atrocious seasons, we both need to make some changes, we have players that fit the needs of the other. 

what do you guys think? Im happy to give patchy and more or less whatever else they might want to equal it up for those 2. that INSTANTLY would change the complexion of this team.

2.NYI

We keep talking about getting tavares here, but how desperate is NY to keep tavares there? they have a pretty good group of young forwards, they should be a playoff team if not for their terrible goaltending tandem.

Id be pushing a conversation that centres around price for barzal. 

 

trading Price is hard because 

a. we probably keep MB another year like the mickey mouse organization we are these days, so you know he wont do that after signing him 

b. even if its a new guy who actually wants to do this, im pretty sure price has the NMC

 

I do think there really is something there with edmonton though no matter who is in charge. what you folks think

Both teams make sense because they need a major shakeup.  But the other thing is you're talking about 2 of the worst GMs in the league so even MB has a chance of winning a trade with those 2 teams.

I would say Edmonton may have more interest in either Price or Weber - both of whom might land you Draitsaitl as part of a mega-deal, vs. RNH.     Conversely, NYI may be very interested in hometown (close, anyway) boy Pacioretty who would look great next to Tavares, should he resign. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

My 2 teams of intrigue.

1. EDM

Edm is apparently open to moving 2 guys we could really use, RNH and Klefbom. They also apparently would really like a scoring winger, and we have that to offer. Does patchy get us both these guys? no way, but if I were gm, thats where the conversation begins.

I want klef and rnh, i have patch to give back, what else do you want?  shaw and a decent pick? maybe its gallagher or weber.....in which case edm has to sweeten their side on top of those 2. It seems theres a bigger deal to be made here. 

We are both coming off atrocious seasons, we both need to make some changes, we have players that fit the needs of the other. 

what do you guys think? Im happy to give patchy and more or less whatever else they might want to equal it up for those 2. that INSTANTLY would change the complexion of this team.

2.NYI

We keep talking about getting tavares here, but how desperate is NY to keep tavares there? they have a pretty good group of young forwards, they should be a playoff team if not for their terrible goaltending tandem.

Id be pushing a conversation that centres around price for barzal. 

 

trading Price is hard because 

a. we probably keep MB another year like the mickey mouse organization we are these days, so you know he wont do that after signing him 

b. even if its a new guy who actually wants to do this, im pretty sure price has the NMC

 

I do think there really is something there with edmonton though no matter who is in charge. what you folks think

Yes, it seems to me there is a big deal there to be made that benefits both teams, particularly around the draft time or in the summer, and not at the trade deadline when it makes more sense to focus on teams that are arming up for the playoffs.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Windoe said:

Yes, it seems to me there is a big deal there to be made that benefits both teams, particularly around the draft time or in the summer, and not at the trade deadline when it makes more sense to focus on teams that are arming up for the playoffs.  

IMHO we should have made that big move back in Nov/Dec when both our teams still had a chance to climb back into the playoff picture. It was brutally obvious we were equipped to win with this roster and Chiarelli said he was willing to make a big move if it helped his team win. The opportunity was there... but so was MB's stubbornness.  "The answer is in the room."  Not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Both teams make sense because they need a major shakeup.  But the other thing is you're talking about 2 of the worst GMs in the league so even MB has a chance of winning a trade with those 2 teams.

I would say Edmonton may have more interest in either Price or Weber - both of whom might land you Draitsaitl as part of a mega-deal, vs. RNH.     Conversely, NYI may be very interested in hometown (close, anyway) boy Pacioretty who would look great next to Tavares, should he resign. 

well that was kinda where I was going when I said theres roomfor trade talks to expand into something bigger. maybe it starts off as Patch + for Rnh and klef, weber gets into it, thetrade expands to be draisatl instead and maybe they keep rnh as their 2c. 

as far as patchy the the isles, I agree they would probably like that, but with bailey and lee emerging there isnt as much of a need as their was backwhen i was originally suggesting it over a year ago. also patchy doesnt get you barzal.....but who knows maybe theres a bigger conversation there too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...