The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 If I Were GM

BigTed3

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

IMHO we should have made that big move back in Nov/Dec when both our teams still had a chance to climb back into the playoff picture. It was brutally obvious we were equipped to win with this roster and Chiarelli said he was willing to make a big move if it helped his team win. The opportunity was there... but so was MB's stubbornness.  "The answer is in the room."  Not. 

MB took alot of heat for deciding to trade Subban and he took alot of heat for only getting back Weber.  Similarly Chiarelli took alot of heat for deciding to trade Hall and he also took alot of heat for only getting back Larsson.  Both Subban and Hall were not jiving in their previous locker rooms, and both Subban and Hall were the superior players in their trades.  Too bad we couldn't have swung Subban for Hall.  

4 hours ago, Windoe said:

MB took alot of heat for deciding to trade Subban and he took alot of heat for only getting back Weber.  Similarly Chiarelli took alot of heat for deciding to trade Hall and he also took alot of heat for only getting back Larsson.  Both Subban and Hall were not jiving in their previous locker rooms, and both Subban and Hall were the superior players in their trades.  Too bad we couldn't have swung Subban for Hall.  

Still would not have done that u win being strong down the middle and having demean who can make a good first pass, who can skate the puck out of the zone, and can jump into the play. At the time if it was Draistal and Darnell Nurse ..ok

4 hours ago, caperns61 said:

Still would not have done that u win being strong down the middle and having demean who can make a good first pass, who can skate the puck out of the zone, and can jump into the play. At the time if it was Draistal and Darnell Nurse ..ok

If you believe the rumors it was Draitsatl, Nurse + 1st  and possibly one more piece.  Apparently WE said no.   (In fairness draitsatl had one solid year under his belt (he played part of the year before but didnt score much) so it was a risk - all prospects for a young norris trophy winner).

I still believe that MB felt he HAD to move Subban (i think Therrien didnt like him & probably blew the locker-room rift out of proportion to his buddy upstairs) and MB probably felt that getting back prospects only was too risky.  Weber was the only established #1 we could probably have swung at that time so thats what he foolishly did, ignoring the age & the mileage on SW's bones. 

The Hurricanes have essentially fired Ron Francis as GM (hey, at least one team identified their GM as a problem!). They announced they've moved him to President of Hockey Ops, which might be seen as a promotion, except that they also announced the new GM would report directly to the new team owner, thus bypassing Francis and preventing him from having any real role with respect to the on-ice product. The rumors are that the new owner is upset by Francis' lack of activity and failure to bump a borderline playoff team into the playoffs. As such, the media seems to believe that the new GM will be given a mandate to make trades that make the team more competitive right away rather than a perpetual slow re-build.

Enter Marc Bergevin (or whoever our GM is this summer). Enter Max Pacioretty. There were rumors of Carolina being interested, yet we know Francis has historically been reluctant to part with prospects. Well now, it looks like they might be trying to find a GM who is okay with giving up prospects to get good players who can help them immediately. They have a potential future 1C in Necas. They have a potential top-pairing LHD in Jake Bean. This could be a great opportunity for MB to step back in and make an offer to give Carolina what they seem to want in exchange for what we absolutely need.

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Maybe we can trade Shea Weber to Carolina for Jacob Slavin? ^_^

The problem, imho, wont be trading Shea Weber. I think you'd find a suitor and someone would pay handsomely in young prospects - the problem is getting MB to see that he needs to trade Shea Weber NOW. Not next year, not the year after, NOW. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

The problem, imho, wont be trading Shea Weber. I think you'd find a suitor and someone would pay handsomely in young prospects - the problem is getting MB to see that he needs to trade Shea Weber NOW. Not next year, not the year after, NOW. 

It`s way too difficult for him to make trades. Give him a break lol. B)

3 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

It`s way too difficult for him to make trades. Give him a break lol. B)

30 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yes trades are hard..........

He needs a day in his head.

Can Molson not see that MB is not only inept but has now become a cartoon character in most fan's eyes?

I think if you're Marc Bergevin and you're picking 5, you're going Evan Bouchard from the London Knights.  I would see if wrestle 1 if not both 1st rounders from NYI.  I would want to grab Joe Veleno with whichever 1st rounder is closest to the top 10 (NYI or CGY).  I think this team is a rebuilder.  So Much so, that I would take a long look at a top line of: Galchenyuk, Poehling, Scherbak

I'd be interested to see if NYI is interested in either Patches or Price for their 1sts

Now that Shea Weber is recovering from surgery, does that hurt our ability to trade him? Was it ever a possibility that Bergevin would consider trading him?

I don't think about it. The last place I wanna be is in Bergevin's head.

Now that Shea Weber is recovering from surgery, does that hurt our ability to trade him? Was it ever a possibility that Bergevin would consider trading him?

Tough one.  I dont think so. I think as long as a team had their doctors look at him & deem his recovery to be going well, they would be ok.   He didnt get his surgery from some nobody - he went to Robert Anderson who is something of a surgical legend I believe. I think he did Karlsson's foot when he was injured too.   

In terms of whether we'll trade him or not... anybody's guess.   I would say no - simply because i think MB is so stubborn he wont realize his mistake, or at least admit it - but some pretty reliable TSN guys said that MB said pretty much "anyone" is available.  So its tough to say.

9 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

You need a day in there. 

On 3/14/2018 at 10:18 AM, habs1952 said:

On the other hand it might be entertaining. I imagine something like: "that Subban is such a showboat, scoring goals and whatnot. Real NHL defensmen grind it out and throw the occasional puck in their own net ... but no time to think about that, need to get Lefebvre an extension before he gets an NHL head coaching offer .. how many millions will it take to convince him to stay? "

On 3/7/2018 at 6:26 PM, BigTed3 said:

The Hurricanes have essentially fired Ron Francis as GM (hey, at least one team identified their GM as a problem!). They announced they've moved him to President of Hockey Ops, which might be seen as a promotion

I think it's time for a  "promote Bergevin" petition ...

2 hours ago, Graeme-1 said:

On the other hand it might be entertaining. I imagine something like: "that Subban is such a showboat, scoring goals and whatnot. Real NHL defensmen grind it out and throw the occasional puck in their own net ... but no time to think about that, need to get Lefebvre an extension before he gets an NHL head coaching offer .. how many millions will it take to convince him to stay? "

HILARIOUS, Graeme. Thanks for the laugh. :4224:

If I were GM all I would ask of a coach, and you can ask her when she gets here if that's not right, is that he would mind to be dedicated solely to the team and that he would try to speak better of them year by year (in French).

I'd try my darndest to get into next season with this as a template. A few very important roles to fill, but possible if Pacioretty is traded to fill 1 (maybe 2) with young players. Fingers crossed me can get rid of Alzner's contract.

Jonathan Drouin - (first line center) - (first line RW)

Artturi Lehkonen - Alex Galchenyuk - Nikita Scherbak

Paul Byron - Phillip Danault - Brendan Gallagher

Charles Hudon - Jacob de la Rose - (depth RW)

(top pairing LD) - Shea Weber

Victor Mete - Jeff Petry

Jordie Benn - Noah Juulsen

Carey Price

Charles Lindgren

• 5 weeks later...

Speculation by a number of analysts is that Bergevin was talking specifically about Price (and maybe some others) when he talked about "attitude."   He's said that Price wont be traded, but he also said that about Subban.

With Philly once again getting obliterated (due in part to shaky goaltending - 17 goals in 3 games!)  would they have interest in Price?  Before you harp on about how crap Price was last year, I think 99% of people believe he'll bounce back and if MB is actually considering moving him, its his job to make other GMs believe that.

So if Philly was interested in Price, what would we want back?  What could we conceivably get back?    A pipe dream would be Gotisbehere and Couturier but I suspect the best you would get (even with Carey Price's league-wide worship) would be one of them, a pick and a prospect.

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Speculation by a number of analysts is that Bergevin was talking specifically about Price (and maybe some others) when he talked about "attitude."   He's said that Price wont be traded, but he also said that about Subban.

With Philly once again getting obliterated (due in part to shaky goaltending - 17 goals in 3 games!)  would they have interest in Price?  Before you harp on about how crap Price was last year, I think 99% of people believe he'll bounce back and if MB is actually considering moving him, its his job to make other GMs believe that.

So if Philly was interested in Price, what would we want back?  What could we conceivably get back?    A pipe dream would be Gotisbehere and Couturier but I suspect the best you would get (even with Carey Price's league-wide worship) would be one of them, a pick and a prospect.

I'll pretend I'm Ron Hextall. If I'm considering Carey as a trade acquisition, the first thing I'd need to make sure of is that I'm getting rid of a goalie in the deal. None of Philly's goalies makes any significant amount of money, and Mrazek is an RFA, but they still have Elliott and Neuvirth signed, and they're making about the same thing (2.75M vs. 2.5M, each for one more year until they're UFA's)... so you can tell the Habs to take their pick but they need to take one. My guess is the Habs opt for the younger, slightly cheaper one and prefer Neuvirth. Next.

Who are the Habs going to be asking for? Maybe Giroux 1-for-1, which is a stupid deal for Marc Bergevin (for the same reasons I've listed before, there is zero reason for us to acquire players over the age of 25-26 max via trade) and also not that bright for Hextall... if Hextall's going all in for Price, there's no reason to give up a guy coming off a 100-point season when you're in win-now mode. The team does need to give up salary though, and the two best candidates are Jori Lehtera (4.7M for one more year) and Andrew Macdonald (5M for two more years). The Habs have some bad contracts on the back end already, so not sure Bergevin's eating Macdonald's deal, but let's assume he accepts taking on Lehtera for the one season. So Neuvirth plus Lehtera as salary dumps, and now Hextall has some cap space to work with and some freedom.

So who does Philly actually give up then to compensate for getting Carey and getting that cap room? They're not giving up Nolan Patrick. I don't see purpose in their giving up Voracek or Simmonds, for the same argument as Giroux. And I don't see them wanting to give up a key player and Selke candidate like Couturier, even though that's probably part of Bergevin's asking price. I also don't see them being eager to part with Provorov or Gostisbehere. Having just written this, flash back to a year ago and two years ago, when I suggested the Habs should look at dealing a player like Weber for Gostisbehere and Couturier, which would have been reasonable back then but isn't likely to happen now...

So my best guess for what Hextall can afford to give up and might be willing to part with and which represents players who are still young but NHL-ready enough to help a rebuilding team like us? Well I can see a trade along the lines of

Carey Price

Andrew Shaw

Michael McCarron

for

Michal Neuvirth

Jori Lehtera

Dale Weise

Travis Konecny

Travis Sanheim

Morgan Frost

The wildcard in all this is that Philly's got a decent young goalie coming up named Carter Hart, and if they're simply betting on him, they won't budge for Price and his 8-year contract. But if they were going to make a move, Konecny and Sanheim figure to be the two guys IMO who might work for both teams as key players coming back.

• H_T_L locked this topic