Michael McCarron

for

Michal Neuvirth

Jori Lehtera

Dale Weise

Travis Konecny

Travis Sanheim

Morgan Frost

Good reasoning & thats probably fair and what Hextall would be looking for.   That said, I could totally see MB trading Price + Galchenyuk for Giroux, Simmonds and MacDonald or something. :(

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Speculation by a number of analysts is that Bergevin was talking specifically about Price (and maybe some others) when he talked about "attitude."   He's said that Price wont be traded, but he also said that about Subban.

MB just keeps on going, eh? Not that I'm against the idea of trading Price (read: a full rebuild) in general, I just think it's nuts that our GM has absolutely no qualms trading the only two legit franchise players this team has had in a very long time based on completely subjective and non-quantifiable factors like character or attitude. What a great evaluator of talent we have here.

15 hours ago, ChiLla said:

MB just keeps on going, eh? Not that I'm against the idea of trading Price (read: a full rebuild) in general, I just think it's nuts that our GM has absolutely no qualms trading the only two legit franchise players this team has had in a very long time based on completely subjective and non-quantifiable factors like character or attitude. What a great evaluator of talent we have here.

Totally. And whats worse, he has such little idea of how to manage assets he badmouths them and throws the under the bus prior to trading them.   A good GM makes you think you're getting a jewel, not a guy you want off your roster.   Its almost surprising we were even able to get Weber when you consider how much crap MB and MT talked about Subban. 

27 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Totally. And whats worse, he has such little idea of how to manage assets he badmouths them and throws the under the bus prior to trading them.   A good GM makes you think you're getting a jewel, not a guy you want off your roster.   Its almost surprising we were even able to get Weber when you consider how much crap MB and MT talked about Subban. 

one thing that also annoyed me though is I remember the media being right there with them criticizing PK and deifying Weber... and it reversed the moment the trade happened. On some level the way the media always rips the habs has the have an effect on perception which will always hurt us in trades

What RFAs do you wanna bring back?

• Phillip Danault
  • Daniel Carr
  • Jacob De La Rose
  • Logan Shaw
  • Kerby Rychel
  • Michael McCarron
  • Rinat Valiev
  • Tom Parisi
  • Zachary Fucale
  • Markus Eisenschmid
  • Jeremey Gregoire

Danault and De La Rose we'll probably NEED since our center depth is so atrocious.

The rest I could give or take. McCarron is a bust, IMO. No need to keep him around in the organization, but perhaps we can help him find a fresh start somewhere. Carr seems out of favor so I don't expect him to be around next year. Will we need Fucale to play for Laval next season? I guess I'd consider keeping Rychel and Valiev since we JUST acquired them.

I would consider buying out some players, as well.

David Schlemko, for instance. We could take that cap hit from 2.1 million (USD) next season down to 0.86 million (USD). If we wanna spend money in free agency. 1 million in savings might go a long way!

Buying out Karl Alzner's 4.625 million (USD) cap hit would hurt us for 8 years, but the only insufferable year would be 2020-2021 when he would count for 4.4 million (USD) against the cap. Maybe by then the salary cap will have risen enough to make that manageable.

I kind of see the forward roster construction looking something like this heading into next year.

Jonathan Drouin - #1 CENTER - Brendan Gallagher

Alex Galchenyuk - #2 CENTER - Paul Byron (off wing)

Artturi Lehkonen - Phillip Danault - Nikita Scherbak

Charles Hudon - Jacob De La Rose - Andrew Shaw

Nicolas Deslauriers

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

• Phillip Danault
  • Daniel Carr
  • Jacob De La Rose
  • Logan Shaw
  • Kerby Rychel
  • Michael McCarron
  • Rinat Valiev
  • Tom Parisi
  • Zachary Fucale
  • Markus Eisenschmid
  • Jeremey Gregoire

Danault and De La Rose we'll probably NEED since our center depth is so atrocious.

The rest I could give or take. McCarron is a bust, IMO. No need to keep him around in the organization, but perhaps we can help him find a fresh start somewhere. Carr seems out of favor so I don't expect him to be around next year. Will we need Fucale to play for Laval next season? I guess I'd consider keeping Rychel and Valiev since we JUST acquired them.

Danault and DLR for sure, Carr probably as well. Agreed on McCarron, his skating is just not good enough and he seems to be quite average even in the AHL. I'd still keep him as a throw-in candidate for a bigger trade, much better than just letting him walk. We should also keep Valiev and Rychel to see what we've really got there, worst case they'll be in Laval next season. The others? Meh.

Assuming MB can't acquire a center by trade (because we all know... trades are too hard), my planning order to sign a center on July 1st would be:

1. John Tavares (27 y/o, shoots left) - $10-12 million (USD), 7 years.
  2. Paul Stastny  (32 y/o, shoots left) - $4-5 million (USD), 2 years.
  3. Valtteri Filppula (34 y/o, shoots left) - $2-3 million (USD), 1 year.
  4. Tomas Plekanec (35 y/o, shoots left) - $2-3 million (USD), 1 year.
  5. Tyler Bozak (32 y/o shoots right) - $2-3 million (USD), 1 year.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Assuming MB can't acquire a center by trade (because we all know... trades are too hard), my planning order to sign a center on July 1st would be:

1. Tomas Plekanec (35 y/o, shoots left) - $2-3 million (USD), 1 year.

NO :(

9 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

• Phillip Danault
  • Daniel Carr
  • Jacob De La Rose
  • Logan Shaw
  • Kerby Rychel
  • Michael McCarron
  • Rinat Valiev
  • Tom Parisi
  • Zachary Fucale
  • Markus Eisenschmid
  • Jeremey Gregoire

I would 100% re-sign Danault and Carr. I don't think we'd miss the rest of them that much, but I don't have a problem with offering contracts to DLR, Rychel, Valiev, McCarron, and Gregoire. I think they all have limited chances of making the NHL roster, but even if they don't, we need some players to fill out the Laval roster, and they're all young enough to still be kept around.

8 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would consider buying out some players, as well.

David Schlemko, for instance. We could take that cap hit from 2.1 million (USD) next season down to 0.86 million (USD). If we wanna spend money in free agency. 1 million in savings might go a long way!

Buying out Karl Alzner's 4.625 million (USD) cap hit would hurt us for 8 years, but the only insufferable year would be 2020-2021 when he would count for 4.4 million (USD) against the cap. Maybe by then the salary cap will have risen enough to make that manageable.

You could easily buy out Schlemko, but if we're going to do that, it might be even better to just bury him in the minors. You can bury 1.025M of salary next year ad 1.075M in 2019. So his cap hit for burying him would be 1.075M next year and 1.025M the year after. So that's only about 200-300k worse than buying him out and then you don't have the extra 600+k cap hit for the two years after.

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

You could easily buy out Schlemko, but if we're going to do that, it might be even better to just bury him in the minors. You can bury 1.025M of salary next year ad 1.075M in 2019. So his cap hit for burying him would be 1.075M next year and 1.025M the year after. So that's only about 200-300k worse than buying him out and then you don't have the extra 600+k cap hit for the two years after.

Ah! I didn't know that was an option to save $$$. I wonder if MB would make that move... We truly do not need him to be in our top-7 in Montreal. Perhaps he can be useful in Laval.

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Ah! I didn't know that was an option to save $$$. I wonder if MB would make that move... We truly do not need him to be in our top-7 in Montreal. Perhaps he can be useful in Laval.

I can live with Benn alone, but to have Alzner and Schlemko in the line-up actively hurts us. We're better off putting them in the minors or buying them out and pretending we're paying Valiev/Reilly/Lernout 4M a year to play defence for us.

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I can live with Benn alone, but to have Alzner and Schlemko in the line-up actively hurts us. We're better off putting them in the minors or buying them out and pretending we're paying Valiev/Reilly/Lernout 4M a year to play defence for us.

I can't live with Benn either.  I'm tired of AHL caliber solutions to NHL caliber problems.  The one positive I saw out of this season was how well younger players played under Julien.  They're definitely hungrier to stay up, it does, however expose the inherent flaw in having Lefebvre as your developmental coach.  I think how younger guys have responded to Julien, is futrther proof the rebuild is on.  I think Ducharme is your top candidate for Laval.  He has a proven track record for developing young prospects.  Memorial cup and World Junior Champion.  Names that have played under Ducharme include: Nathan MacKinnon, Jonathan Drouin, Nikolai Ehlers, Timo Mier, Joe Veleno,.

47 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I can't live with Benn either.  I'm tired of AHL caliber solutions to NHL caliber problems.  The one positive I saw out of this season was how well younger players played under Julien.  They're definitely hungrier to stay up, it does, however expose the inherent flaw in having Lefebvre as your developmental coach.  I think how younger guys have responded to Julien, is futrther proof the rebuild is on.  I think Ducharme is your top candidate for Laval.  He has a proven track record for developing young prospects.  Memorial cup and World Junior Champion.  Names that have played under Ducharme include: Nathan MacKinnon, Jonathan Drouin, Nikolai Ehlers, Timo Mier, Joe Veleno,.

Of the three, Benn is the least of the problems. He's making the least money, he's on the shortest remaining contract, and he's the least bad of the three. Ideally, he's not here either (hard to believe MB protected him over Beaulieu and even Emelin!), but I can live with him as a #6-7 guy playing 40-50 games a year in a limited role. Say we get lucky and draft Dahlin, then I think we'd be okay with Dahlin-Weber, Mete-Petry, Reilly-Juulsen, Benn.

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Of the three, Benn is the least of the problems. He's making the least money, he's on the shortest remaining contract, and he's the least bad of the three. Ideally, he's not here either (hard to believe MB protected him over Beaulieu and even Emelin!), but I can live with him as a #6-7 guy playing 40-50 games a year in a limited role. Say we get lucky and draft Dahlin, then I think we'd be okay with Dahlin-Weber, Mete-Petry, Reilly-Juulsen, Benn.

That's fair...And I've said before and I still feel if we're winning the draft lotto, we hang on to Weber to mentor Rasmus Dahlin.  I still don't trust Marc Bergevin to properly draft and develop a Rasmus Dahlin, or anyone else for that matter.  I still feel we should be moving assets to stock pile draft picks.  We have more than one area to address and I think in order to address that you need to dangle veteran assets in front of "Win Now" teams for multiple futures in return.  If you're picking 4th ova or higher, you're getting a blue chip player.  But you're either getting a D-man or a winger.  You still need a young centre of the future.  One thing I remember seeing in a post-game interview with Claude Julien was he said: "I have no Patrice Bergeron".  I've said this before and I'll say it again, I would dangle whatever interests the Islanders in front of Garth snow to wiggle 1, if not both of NYI's 1st rounders out of Brooklyn.  At pick number 10 (NYI's 1st pick in the 1st round), you could potentially get Joe Veleno.  Veleno will not remind you of Crosby or McDavid.  But he will remind you of Patrice Bergeron or Jonathan Teows.

On 4/21/2018 at 0:53 PM, BigTed3 said:

Because MB is so stubborn I dont think we'll find out but i actually think Schlemko wouldnt be tough to move. He doesnt make a ton of money and he had several good seasons before coming to our team.  We know that the game is evolving beyond the less mobile guys but i get the sense that Julien's zone system wreaks havoc on guys who have poor vision like Schlemko and Alzner.    MB could probably easily sell that to another GM and I think someone would take a chance on him as a relatively low risk #4-6 dman.   On Jersey he looked like #3-4  on SJ he looked like a solid #4. 

I dont know if anyone would take Alzner though (unless it was for a different bad contract) but i do think Schlemko and Benn are moveable if we wanted. 

So while I agree with you, Benn is the guy id want to keep, if we could move Schlemko & Benn we'd have alzner as our only really 'bad' dmen and I think you'd find on the 3rd pairing he'd be ok.  

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I dont know if anyone would take Alzner though (unless it was for a different bad contract) but i do think Schlemko and Benn are moveable if we wanted.  

I assume Benn is movable. I think both Alzner and Shlemko are movable but I suspect we'd have to retain salary (they were both considered decent defensemen only a year ago, so someone will likely take a shot on them at a lower price point). Not the worst option - might make more sense financially over the long run than a buyout.

If I was GM would take a serious look at trading Weber for Erik Karlsson. Weber would be the number 1 they need. Since it seems no one wants to go there, he would be a number 1 defense man, locked up for years to come. His cap hit is high but he is making a lot less on his contract now. That would also work in Ottawa's favor. 

Karlsson would have to be signed to a 6-8 year deal first. But I believe this would work for both teams.

4 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

If I was GM would take a serious look at trading Weber for Erik Karlsson. Weber would be the number 1 they need. Since it seems no one wants to go there, he would be a number 1 defense man, locked up for years to come. His cap hit is high but he is making a lot less on his contract now. That would also work in Ottawa's favor. 

Karlsson would have to be signed to a 6-8 year deal first. But I believe this would work for both teams.

No GM in this league is going to trade a younger, more mobile, more offensively gifted defenseman for Weber ... oh wait.

13 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

I dont think this will happen but this is exactly why i hate it when people say Weber is on a bad contract... bad contract for Nashville, not for habs or anyone else. As far as im concerned Weber is on almost on a 2nd pairing contract. 

Its not a terrible idea at all. Could make sense for the Sens

1 hour ago, Graeme-1 said:

I assume Benn is movable. I think both Alzner and Shlemko are movable but I suspect we'd have to retain salary (they were both considered decent defensemen only a year ago, so someone will likely take a shot on them at a lower price point). Not the worst option - might make more sense financially over the long run than a buyout.

Makes you wonder if there's a veteran 2nd line centre out there that is overpaid for what he brings but would be a heck of a lot better use of money than Alzner is for us. Obviously that team would need a defensman and would have to believe that Alzner is better than he showed last year.    

Is MB too stubborn to even consider it though? 

56 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I dont think this will happen but this is exactly why i hate it when people say Weber is on a bad contract... bad contract for Nashville, not for habs or anyone else. As far as im concerned Weber is on almost on a 2nd pairing contract. 

Its not a terrible idea at all. Could make sense for the Sens

This is actually a very interesting proposal.  From a skill level its a crazy proposition but for the reasons you outlined, it makes quite a bit of sense for Ottawa.  Weber's actual salary is $6m for the next few years and then plummets to $3m then down to a million his last year i think.   Melnyck would love this and from a pure-money standpoint you arent getting a #1 dman at those actual dollars very easily.   You can argue whether he's elite or not any more but he's still a top 30 dman which makes him a #1 and in some people's view he's still top 10. 

Can we resign Karlsson?  Hopefully. If not (he really wants to go UFA) then we have until next year's trade deadline to flip him for young talent.   

2 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I just knew someone would post something like that.

Haha I honestly was about to reply with a simple "no way Ottawa would do that" and then realized this was pretty much the Subban trade as far as the players are concerned (ignoring contract situations).

• H_T_L locked this topic