The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 If I Were GM

BigTed3

Would anyone here trade 29yo Price with a likely 10m cap hit for 26yo Tavares with a likely 10 million cap hit?  

How about 29yo Price with a likely 10m cap hit for 21yo Draisaitl with a likely 8 million cap hit?

Basically would you trade an A+ goalie in his prime for a younger A+ center...

1 hour ago, Windoe said:

Would anyone here trade 29yo Price with a likely 10m cap hit for 26yo Tavares with a likely 10 million cap hit?  

How about 29yo Price with a likely 10m cap hit for 21yo Draisaitl with a likely 8 million cap hit?

Probably an unpopular opinion but I'd definitely pull the trigger on both of these trades, simply because I believe that it's much easier to find a capable goalie than a legit No1 center.

We're losing arguably the best goalie in the world but finally land a legit No1 center, which IMO is the most important position in hockey today. Anecdotal evidence: Since the lockout, each Stanley Cup champion had a true #1 center, while some winning teams didn't even have a clear-cut No1 between the pipes.

3 hours ago, Windoe said:

Yup definitely.

3 hours ago, Windoe said:

Short answer: yes to both

Longer answer: if we deal Price to Edm, I'd probably also be asking for Talbot in the deal. No sense in their having two starting goalies. I do think Lindgren can be a starter in the NHL but would help to have a good veteran starter to be able to work Lindgren into the role slowly.

4 hours ago, Windoe said:

While it is a nice dream to make either of those trades I would be shocked if the Islanders or Edmonton would be willing partners. I also think $10MM for any goalie is just not realistic in the cap world but then the GM is Bergevin ........

8 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Lol! after the firestorm last season when PK got traded it would be fun to watch all the insanity that would follow trading Price!

It would probably be rather calm by comparison, depending on the return of course.

7 hours ago, Windoe said:

I would do Draitsatl, but not Tavares - even though i like Tavares more actually.  I think if you trade Price you are basically going through a rebuild. It would be better to start off a rebuild with a 21 year old #1 centre, vs a 26 year old.  

Obviously if i was trading Price, id also move all of our ageing assets starting with Weber. 

1 hour ago, habs_93 said:

There is a logical reason to trade Price: acknowledging that this core won't win and maximizing value to start a rebuild. There was, and remains, no legitimate reason for the Subban trade.

Agreed on both counts.  The thing that still, to this day, baffles me is that not only did we trade a star player who didnt need to be traded, we did so for a player of less value when our trading partner called us to start negotiations. We had every advantage a team could want in negotiations & we ended up with the older, slower, less skilled player who has way more mileage on his bones. 

9 hours ago, Windoe said:

Hmmmm......trade Price and we probably score more but get score against more often. Keep Price and we score less but get scored on less. This seems to be a 'pick your poison' type of dilemma. 

On 7/1/2017 at 0:49 AM, habs1952 said:

Hmmmm......trade Price and we probably score more but get score against more often. Keep Price and we score less but get scored on less. This seems to be a 'pick your poison' type of dilemma. 

Hands down I'll opt for - score more, get scored more - risk-reward gamble.

Caps have just signed Kuznetsov for a cap hit of 7.8M. The problem? That leaves them with 4.6M to sign 7 players, including Burakovsky and their back-up goalie Grubauer. Minimum salary just went up to 650k, so for 7 players at league minimum, it'd cost them 4.55M. So basically, they can only afford league-minimum salaries to fill out their roster or else they need to trade someone. Their owner has already stated he doesn't want to trade Ovi. I'm sure they'd love to deal an overpaid D man like Niskanen or Orpik, but those guys have term left too, so it'd take a dumb team to take one of those guys, or else Washington would have to add in lots of incentive with picks and prospects to make that happen. So two things if I'm MB:

1. I'd be making an offer for Nik Backstrom now. He put up over 80 points last year and yes he's 29 and yes he's done that playing with great players, but he's also a very good player himself and he is clearly a #1 center in this league. He might be one of the few true #1 centers available and Washington is in a jam to move salary. But I'd be pitching an offer that includes our first round pick next year as well as prospects (since they can't take back salary)... it almost has to be Backstrom they trade because I can't see them dumping Oshie or Kuznetsov when they just signed them and trading Johansson or Eller probably doesn't free up enough space. It's an opening to jump on for MB.

2. John Carlson is a UFA next year. He's only 27 right now. He's a top-pairing guy, even if he's a righty. But again, like with Shattenkirk, I'd be interested in going after Carlsson and then looking at trading Weber to fill other holes in the line-up. Sign Carlsson, deal Weber for a 1st pairing LHD and a center and you've addressed a lot of needs right there.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Caps have just signed Kuznetsov for a cap hit of 7.8M. The problem? That leaves them with 4.6M to sign 7 players, including Burakovsky and their back-up goalie Grubauer. Minimum salary just went up to 650k, so for 7 players at league minimum, it'd cost them 4.55M. So basically, they can only afford league-minimum salaries to fill out their roster or else they need to trade someone. Their owner has already stated he doesn't want to trade Ovi. I'm sure they'd love to deal an overpaid D man like Niskanen or Orpik, but those guys have term left too, so it'd take a dumb team to take one of those guys, or else Washington would have to add in lots of incentive with picks and prospects to make that happen. So two things if I'm MB:

1. I'd be making an offer for Nik Backstrom now. He put up over 80 points last year and yes he's 29 and yes he's done that playing with great players, but he's also a very good player himself and he is clearly a #1 center in this league. He might be one of the few true #1 centers available and Washington is in a jam to move salary. But I'd be pitching an offer that includes our first round pick next year as well as prospects (since they can't take back salary)... it almost has to be Backstrom they trade because I can't see them dumping Oshie or Kuznetsov when they just signed them and trading Johansson or Eller probably doesn't free up enough space. It's an opening to jump on for MB.

2. John Carlson is a UFA next year. He's only 27 right now. He's a top-pairing guy, even if he's a righty. But again, like with Shattenkirk, I'd be interested in going after Carlsson and then looking at trading Weber to fill other holes in the line-up. Sign Carlsson, deal Weber for a 1st pairing LHD and a center and you've addressed a lot of needs right there.

Johansson traded to New Jersey for a couple of 2nd round picks. Did we miss the boat on this guy?

26 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Johansson traded to New Jersey for a couple of 2nd round picks. Did we miss the boat on this guy?

Johansson was dealt for a 2nd and a 3rd (one pick coming via Fla and the other via Tor, so both mid-round picks in all likelihood, not high picks as if they were going to be NJ's own). I think we could have matched that easily. Now MJ had a 5-team no-trade list, but would we really have been one of the 5 least-favorite destinations of his? Johansson isn't elite, but he'd instantly have been a better center than anyone on the team (assuming we refused to play Drouin and Galchenyuk there). This is what I don't get: the Habs were reported to be in on Bonino and be one of the last teams Bonino considered before going to Nashville. Bonino isn't quite as good as Johansson. So if you would be willing to pay Bonino, why not pay Johansson? The picks weren't a huge loss. I think we could have made a move there. Seems like a trade for Backstrom is out of the picture now, although I suspect Was will still need to move more salary to make room. They now have about 9M but still need to sign 8 players.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Johansson was dealt for a 2nd and a 3rd (one pick coming via Fla and the other via Tor, so both mid-round picks in all likelihood, not high picks as if they were going to be NJ's own). I think we could have matched that easily. Now MJ had a 5-team no-trade list, but would we really have been one of the 5 least-favorite destinations of his? Johansson isn't elite, but he'd instantly have been a better center than anyone on the team (assuming we refused to play Drouin and Galchenyuk there). This is what I don't get: the Habs were reported to be in on Bonino and be one of the last teams Bonino considered before going to Nashville. Bonino isn't quite as good as Johansson. So if you would be willing to pay Bonino, why not pay Johansson? The picks weren't a huge loss. I think we could have made a move there. Seems like a trade for Backstrom is out of the picture now, although I suspect Was will still need to move more salary to make room. They now have about 9M but still need to sign 8 players.

Unless we are one of the 5 teams... would it really be THAT surprising. I'm pretty sure we are the highest tax team and the only one where you need to adapt to a new language and culture. And then there's the pressure... only Toronto has more but this city has the English AND the French media... so we may beat them as well.

Montreal is one of those cities where its just not worth the trouble to some (and not just language, its just not a... convenient city). Sometimes I think we need to be weary of the people who WANT to play here... it seems it must only be for the wrong reasons. 

In any case if we weren't of his no trade list... then yes, I would have been all over him! 

9 hours ago, habsisme said:

Unless we are one of the 5 teams... would it really be THAT surprising. I'm pretty sure we are the highest tax team and the only one where you need to adapt to a new language and culture. And then there's the pressure... only Toronto has more but this city has the English AND the French media... so we may beat them as well.

Montreal is one of those cities where its just not worth the trouble to some (and not just language, its just not a... convenient city). Sometimes I think we need to be weary of the people who WANT to play here... it seems it must only be for the wrong reasons. 

In any case if we weren't of his no trade list... then yes, I would have been all over him! 

It's possible, but MJ is from Sweden and 90% of the players on the Habs don't speak French as a first language anyways, so does it really matter? If I were him, my 5 teams would be teams with seemingly little to no chance of winning the Cup during my prime: Phoenix, Vancouver, Colorado, Carolina, and Winnipeg, or something to that effect... then again, he allowed for New Jersey to claim him.

But let's say worst case scenario that MJ did have us on his blocked list. The Caps had other guys we could have targeted. Ray Shero said he had been tracking the Caps' cap woes and that he was waiting to pounce on their inability to squeeze everyone in. That's smart. So who else is going to have that problem next? Edmonton. With McDavid and Draisaitl, there is almost no way they can afford to pay RNH 6M to be a 3rd line center... he's a perfect trade target. A good GM would be making an offer on him now.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

It's possible, but MJ is from Sweden and 90% of the players on the Habs don't speak French as a first language anyways, so does it really matter? If I were him, my 5 teams would be teams with seemingly little to no chance of winning the Cup during my prime: Phoenix, Vancouver, Colorado, Carolina, and Winnipeg, or something to that effect... then again, he allowed for New Jersey to claim him.

But let's say worst case scenario that MJ did have us on his blocked list. The Caps had other guys we could have targeted. Ray Shero said he had been tracking the Caps' cap woes and that he was waiting to pounce on their inability to squeeze everyone in. That's smart. So who else is going to have that problem next? Edmonton. With McDavid and Draisaitl, there is almost no way they can afford to pay RNH 6M to be a 3rd line center... he's a perfect trade target. A good GM would be making an offer on him now.

So Lindgren and a 2nd in 2018 for RNH?

As of now if I was the GM of this team I would hide out in the same place the owner is hiding and make sure only close friends and family could find me.

One thing is guaranteed for this team with that ridiculous contract Bergevin gave Price .... this team will not win the Stanley Cup (or even seriously contend) for the duration of that contract. Not as long as it is on the team's books. The NHL has a salary cap. This year it is $75MM. We have 15% of our cap committed to goaltending if you include Price's extension which kicks in next year. Take a look at what we pay our forwards as a group against the cap. Near the bottom of the league. Take a look at what Pittsburgh pays their forwards vs their goaltending. That is what a Stanley Cup winner salary structure looks like. Same with Chicago. Our so called General Manager thinks you win with gritty players like Shaw from his Chicago days. No .. you win with guys named Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook and Anisimov. Shaw was a role player ... a filler ... a role that can be played by any of a thousand guys. That's what Montreal now has as a roster ... one helluva good goalie and a bunch of guys named Joe that are a dime a dozen!

Good luck to them but more importantly good luck to the fans of this team who should have deserved better but instead got drek. I will be very surprised if this team makes the playoffs this year and they will be VERY hard to watch on most nights. I also think that with Price's injury history ... it is very unlikely he will play out the length of this contract but rather more likely that he will begin to deteriorate from his peak within 3 to 4 years .... same as Lundquist. I don't know if he has a no-trade in his deal but with the Canadiens bidding against themselves and gifting the money they gave him, there is not another team in the league who could afford to pay that amount for a goalie no matter who he is. In short ... he's not going anywhere now thanks to Bergevin.

Enjoy folks .....

2 hours ago, eldag said:

As of now if I was the GM of this team I would hide out in the same place the owner is hiding and make sure only close friends and family could find me.

Its called a foxhole

I though Houle was bad and when MB signed on , I really though he was going to eb an improvement but every year he puts together a team of cast aways

21 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Its called a foxhole

I though Houle was bad and when MB signed on , I really though he was going to eb an improvement but every year he puts together a team of cast aways

He is a castaway living in a foxhole on a remote island :banana_dancing: and will always be a cast away from landing a trophy fish :4845:

• H_T_L locked this topic