The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 If I Were GM

BigTed3

10 minutes ago, habsisme said:

What concerns me more is does he effect Tavares

I would think, that at this point, if JT has decided to go UFA then not much would change his mind.   The only thing i could see changing that would be if NY suddenly made some trades to flesh out the roster around him.  They would have to be substantial though & i dont see that happening before July 1. 

Even if Lou came in & said "John, we're going to do ______"  Unless it happened I think he would probably say that he's waited long enough.  The arena thing is a huge issue too & that wont be resolved for a while still. 

• 1 month later...

As Gm (a la Bergevin style) I could see the Habs entertaining picking up Anthony Duclair... He was a line-mate of Domi's and apparently played with Drouin in junior at some point.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/could-anthony-duclair-be-joining-max-domi-in-montreal

I could see the Habs also picking up Xavier Ouellette off waivers (if it is not too late by now) as an AHL fill-in since they have not qualified a some other players.

That was what I would expect from Bergeron... not necessarily what I would do.

Since JT declined even speaking to the Habs during free agency is a prime indicator as to what the players think of this team and it's front office.  We need a full blown rebuild, from the front office, training staff and players on the ice.  We need a coach who is UTD on the modern game not a dinosaur like we have now.  

4 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

Since JT declined even speaking to the Habs during free agency is a prime indicator as to what the players think of this team and it's front office.  We need a full blown rebuild, from the front office, training staff and players on the ice.  We need a coach who is UTD on the modern game not a dinosaur like we have now.  

:6188:

4 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

It may not have to do with management as much as the city itself. Huge taxes and the fans and media seem to either love you or hate you and it seems to change quickly. He like a lot of athletes has always been a more private person. Where he is along with a lot of the places he's been checking out either aren't media crazy and most already have other stars that would share the show. Even Toronto has Babcock as coach who has no problem being the one addressing everyone and other stars in place. In Montreal he would be "the" savior and be scrutinized by fans and media. I myself could care less if a player has any interviews or twitter or anything else. Let them play the game and be done. 

8 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

It may not have to do with management as much as the city itself. Huge taxes and the fans and media seem to either love you or hate you and it seems to change quickly. He like a lot of athletes has always been a more private person. Where he is along with a lot of the places he's been checking out either aren't media crazy and most already have other stars that would share the show. Even Toronto has Babcock as coach who has no problem being the one addressing everyone and other stars in place. In Montreal he would be "the" savior and be scrutinized by fans and media. I myself could care less if a player has any interviews or twitter or anything else. Let them play the game and be done. 

Yeah i dont think its possible to make clear links between things like this.  

If you look at the teams he is talking to, all of them are contenders.  That, is our biggest issue - and entirely on MB. 

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah i dont think its possible to make clear links between things like this.  

If you look at the teams he is talking to, all of them are contenders.  That, is our biggest issue - and entirely on MB. 

They're all contenders. But another interesting point that was raised is that teams like Nashville, Tampa, and Dallas have no state income tax, so he's also selected a number of teams where his net salary will be higher... some people write this off as a non-factor, but if you have to choose between a good team in Dallas and a good team in Philly and you otherwise have no reason to go to either one, why not choose the one where your take home pay is several million more over 7 years? Toronto seems to be in the mix because of their chances of winning and the fact he's from there, but when you look at the teams he's favored, it's not just winners (otherwise why not interview with Pittsburgh or Washington or Winnipeg? We know the Pens expressed interest) and it's not teams that need a 1C. He's chosen teams who can win now but also teams where he can maximize income. It's a factor, and one we simply can't overcome very easily in the cap world. Further proof IMO that the current structure is not fair to certain markets like ours.

So here's an example of how to exploit another team... the Jets have 24M in cap space, but they need to re-sign Hellebuyck, Trouba, Morrisey, and add 5 more forwards. it will likely cost them something like 6.5M for Hellebuyck, 6M for Trouba, and 4M for Morrisey. Even if they get hometown discounts, they're going to have maybe 10M to sign 5 forwards. They supposedly want to bring back Stastny, who likely clocks in around 5M. So they're going to need to dump someone. Rumors out of Winnipeg are that the Jets want to trade Steve Mason and his 4.1M contract, which expires after this season. Perfect. Here we are. We'll take Mason, but in exchange, you flip us Jack Roslovic or Logan Stanley or Sami Niku. or you trade us your 1st round pick next year. We take a cap penalty for a year, we also get a young asset as compensation. That's the deal Marc Bergevin needs to be making.

Nice try .

Thing is MB probably thinks this team can make the playoffs if the " attitude" changes and  IF Carey Price plays like he did 4 years ago , Weber comes back , Max gets 30 goals and everyone else all play a little better than last year .

1 minute ago, Regis22 said:

Nice try .

Thing is MB probably thinks this team can make the playoffs if the " attitude" changes and  IF Carey Price plays like he did 4 years ago , Weber comes back , Max gets 30 goals and everyone else all play a little better than last year .

That's why this thread is called "If I Were GM..."

We have to get something for Pacioretty before the season begins. The longer we wait the less we're going to get in return. I understand waiting until free agency opens, as a potential trade partner's success or failure in signing a free agent may push them towards trading for Max. However, if November/December rolls around and Max is still playing for the Canadiens, we'll have missed a good opportunity to acquire decent return for Max, IMO.

I don't believe we'll be able to get in on the Calvin de Haan "sweepstakes" and I've noticed some people are proposing Thomas Hickey as an alternative. Hickey could be an interesting addition. I wouldn't be opposed to offering him a deal. His most recent contract was a 3-year deal with an AAV of $2.2 million.

At center, possibly 2nd, give Riley Nash a shot with a 2 or 3 year deal. And also the Ryan O'Reilly talk kinda sparks my interest. Thomas Hickey definitely.  :6280:

The next moves have to be re-signing our RFAs. Phillip Danault, Joel Armia, Jacob de la Rose, Kerby Rychel, and Michael McCarron. The ONLY player on that list I would offer a multi-year deal to is Danault. I would argue giving everyone else a 1-year deal might be in our best interest come trade deadline time.

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

The next moves have to be re-signing our RFAs. Phillip Danault, Joel Armia, Jacob de la Rose, Kerby Rychel, and Michael McCarron. The ONLY player on that list I would offer a multi-year deal to is Danault. I would argue giving everyone else a 1-year deal might be in our best interest come trade deadline time.

agreed! And I think even MB can't screw that up

is anyone else wondering why they still care? Its clear that we are not going for it, nor selling, so why are we still bothering? 

2 hours ago, jwlk said:

think it's 13 million in cap space, and nothing to spend it on

If MB moves Pacioretty and some of the other players I think he will, that cap space will only go up as we'll likely acquire picks and prospects for them. 

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

If MB moves Pacioretty and some of the other players I think he will, that cap space will only go up as we'll likely acquire picks and prospects for them. 

Which is exactly how we should be planning to use our cap space. By taking on crappy contracts (1-2 years remaining) and helping other teams free up space. If we can grab something better than 4th rounders, I would be happy.

• H_T_L locked this topic