The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 If I Were GM

BigTed3

Preseason is always tricky because you know that teams are looking at certain things & really dont care about the scores. They may ask certain players to play in certain ways, they may try working set plays - whatever - so its tough for us to evaluate the roster at this point but I actually feel ok about our forwards to be honest.  Drouin looks like he could be a legitimate #1C (although obviously we'll need a season to truly evaluate) and Hudon looks like he rounds out our top 9 nicely.  Hemsky is still a question mark to me (at #1RW) but it means giving us a nice secondary line in G-D-G  and its always possibly for Lehkonen to move up to that P-D line

Im still worried about defense though.  Mete has looked great but does anyone actually think he'll remain with the bigs?  Can Jarubek take on a top 4 role?   If you believe that Alzner is a #4 and will be ok next to Petry (I think he actually will) that still leaves us with a big question mark next to Weber.  

If I were GM I am not sure if i would go into this season with the only real option next to Weber being Schlemko, Davidson or a rookie.  The question is:  Will Marc Bergevin? Or will be see another trade before Puck drop in october?

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Im still worried about defense though.  Mete has looked great but does anyone actually think he'll remain with the bigs?  Can Jarubek take on a top 4 role?   If you believe that Alzner is a #4 and will be ok next to Petry (I think he actually will) that still leaves us with a big question mark next to Weber.  

If I were GM I am not sure if i would go into this season with the only real option next to Weber being Schlemko, Davidson or a rookie.  The question is:  Will Marc Bergevin? Or will be see another trade before Puck drop in october?

Mete : Not really . Wait until the games mean something and hes getting plastered into the boards

Jarubek : Probably not . The ice in NA is smaller so he doesn't have as much time to react . It will take him a while

Davidson ; still not proven.

22 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Mete : Not really . Wait until the games mean something and hes getting plastered into the boards

Jarubek : Probably not . The ice in NA is smaller so he doesn't have as much time to react . It will take him a while

If he continues to perform like he did last night, then MB might keep him up for 9 games to see how he does. 

26 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Having watched the last two exhibition games, our offence is anemic IMO. We need much more to replace the dead wood still hanging around. Let's see what happens in the regular season, but I'm not holding my breath unless we improve dramatically on our offence.

Two things though:

1) its preseason so you have no idea what CJ is asking the players to do.  At this point he may be more interested in set plays, or breakouts or whatever. I dont think you can easily judge what we have based on these games.

2) we are not a team with elite talent at forward.  Our strength (if it works out) will be a strong top 9.  We may not even have a true #1 line, but we may well have three #2.  So in preseason, when you're only dressing your 1 or 2 of your top lines on any given night, you wont see that balance.

I think we'll be ok up front.   

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Two things though:

1) its preseason so you have no idea what CJ is asking the players to do.  At this point he may be more interested in set plays, or breakouts or whatever. I dont think you can easily judge what we have based on these games.

2) we are not a team with elite talent at forward.  Our strength (if it works out) will be a strong top 9.  We may not even have a true #1 line, but we may well have three #2.  So in preseason, when you're only dressing your 1 or 2 of your top lines on any given night, you wont see that balance.

I think we DO have elite talent at forward. The question for me is more whether we have that talent to use at center and whether the elite talent will get ice time. I'd match Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and Drouin up against other team's top lines and bet we do ok. Those are all top-line forwards. But it won't help us as much if AG is getting 14-15 minutes a night or if AG/JD are both pushed back to the wing and we have to split 60 minutes of ice between Danault, Plekanec, Shaw, and Mitchell...

54 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Two things though:

I wish I were as confident as you in your assessment of our forwards but I'm not. That is where I feel we will suffer the most and that is where I feel we will fail yet again unless we acquire a real power forward. It was bad enough that we lost Radulov. Now we have a really big vacuum offensively IMO. ( Had we acquired Drouin AND kept Radulov, we'd be in better shape IMO )

Again, I do agree that it is still the pre-season, and that much can still be revealed. *fingers crossed*

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

More like we have one  # 2 line and three #  3 or  4 lines

On 9/21/2017 at 2:56 PM, Regis22 said:

After watching all pre-season Mete, Jarubek look promising along with Lernout... the rest not so much

• 2 weeks later...

I know they probably don't want to move him but it might be worth overpaying for Shea Theodore. Galchenyuk + pick or prospect for Theodore+*forward*(Marchessault)? Still doubt they do it since Galchenyuk will be in his late 20s by the time they hope to be competitive but it's worth a shot. I'm not really on the trade Galchenyuk train but if he isn't playing at C it might be worth doing. Shea² and Mete-Petry is a pretty solid top 4.

...If only there were some left shot puck moving defenseman available in free agency this year we could have spent some of the 8M in cap space on...

2 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Dahlin-Weber 

Mete-Petry

Schlemko-Juulsen

Pretty solid defence group :5141:

Doesn't help much this year. Not sure Weber and Petry are holding up for another couple of years either, so if we're focusing on Dahlin/Mete/Juulsen as a core, I'd probably look at trading those vets for other assets and get the new core into a closer age bracket.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Yes, but Garth Snow.

I floated this last year, I would give them patchy for leddy, a prospect (e.g lee or bailey) and a 1st. 

Id also trade weber for whatever futures anyone is willing to give up. 

those 2 as your offensive and defensive leaders is ...well your looking at it

On 10/8/2017 at 8:23 AM, Noob616 said:

I know they probably don't want to move him but it might be worth overpaying for Shea Theodore. Galchenyuk + pick or prospect for Theodore+*forward*(Marchessault)? Still doubt they do it since Galchenyuk will be in his late 20s by the time they hope to be competitive but it's worth a shot. I'm not really on the trade Galchenyuk train but if he isn't playing at C it might be worth doing. Shea² and Mete-Petry is a pretty solid top 4.

...If only there were some left shot puck moving defenseman available in free agency this year we could have spent some of the 8M in cap space on...

Yeah, the only way Vegas gives up theodore is if you overpay imho.  Ive wanted to get him for a while and while the idea of giving up Galchenyuk to get him would really hurt, I think it may end up being an option because we seem unlikely to use Galchenyuk properly which means his value will plummet even further.  

Obviously we'd want more - and Vegas needs to clear bodies so they would want to give us more.   Id love  Shipachyov + Theodore for Glachenyuk but i highly doubt they do that -plus both of them are waiver exempt, we'd have to take at least 1 or 2 players off their roster who would have to clear waivers.  

You might be able to get a theodore + vet + prospect  (Theo + Eakin + T LIndberg / or / C Glass) for Galchenyuk.  There's immediate benefit for both sides (them more than us) but the top prospect gives us a chance to recoup that. 

Theodore - Weber
Mete - Petry
Schlemko - Benn
Alzner

Better than we have now for sure. 

You might be able to get a theodore + vet + prospect  (Theo + Eakin + T LIndberg / or / C Glass) for Galchenyuk.  There's immediate benefit for both sides (them more than us) but the top prospect gives us a chance to recoup that. 

Galchenyuk+picks/prospects for Theodore+Eakin or Marchessault is plausible, but I don't see us getting any significant prospects. To be honest I see that as a big overpay for them, they're giving up their 2 best prospects along with a useful (and trade deadline valuable) veteran for Galchenyuk who may or may not be a core player for them in 4-5 years when they want to compete. Galchenyuk makes them a lot better today but they don't really care about that, and I don't really know that Galchenyuk is more valuable in 3 years than Theodore+Glass and whatever they'd get for Eakin/Perron/Marchessault in trades.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Galchenyuk but I just don't think he'd be perceived as that valuable for an expansion team. He's only a year older than Theodore but he's 3 years from UFA while Theodore is 5 years away and doesn't even have arbitration rights yet. Galchenyuk hasn't been played as an NHL center under two coaches in Montreal, and was passed over for TNA at the world cup despite being far more proven than some of the guys chosen. If I'm McPhee I don't think I'm willing to move my best defensive prospect (who's probably my best or 2nd best defenseman today), a useful/valuable veteran, and my top forward prospect for a guy who might be a 50 point winger and leave as a UFA in 3 years just as my core from 2017-2019 drafts are breaking in to the NHL. 

I think Galchenyuk for Theodore makes some sense as the basis for a trade but I think the more significant plus will be on our side. Galchenyuk+Juulsen/Mete+more non-trivial picks or prospects for Theodore+Eakin/Marchessault/Perron+taking on one or two of their 10 million bad defensemen. If we're getting Theodore it's going to be our Hall for Larsson trade, getting fleeced in a vacuum because we have relative strength on the wing and have a gaping hole at defence. 

Not many assets left to trade. Seems like the draft or free agency is the only hope. Its going to be a long season in my opinion but I hope I am wrong. If the team does not want to trade Price to fill a few gaps I am sure Molson could trade some BEER assets.

8 minutes ago, habby67 said:

Not many assets left to trade. Seems like the draft or free agency is the only hope. Its going to be a long season in my opinion but I hope I am wrong. If the team does not want to trade Price to fill a few gaps I am sure Molson could trade some BEER assets.

I really wonder if the guy to trade is Patches.   Sure, he has elite goal scoring numbers but he also should bring back a huge return.  In a couple of years he's going to want a big payday which we can ill afford. 

If we sent him to say, Edmonton, could we snag 2 players (RNH and Nurse) ?  Galchenyuk becomes our #1LW, we reunite the 2 gallys, we get a bonefide #2 centre and a top 4 dman. For those worried about Patches "leadership" we end up able to give Weber the "C" and see if the group is any more cohesive as such.

Galchenyuk - Drouin - Gallagher
Hudon - RNH - Lehkhonen
Danault - Plekanec - Shaw
Byron - DLR - Mitchell/Mac

Nurse - Weber
Mete-Petry
Schlemko-Benn
Alzner

I really wonder if the guy to trade is Patches.   Sure, he has elite goal scoring numbers but he also should bring back a huge return.  In a couple of years he's going to want a big payday which we can ill afford. 

If we sent him to say, Edmonton, could we snag 2 players (RNH and Nurse) ?  Galchenyuk becomes our #1LW, we reunite the 2 gallys, we get a bonefide #2 centre and a top 4 dman. For those worried about Patches "leadership" we end up able to give Weber the "C" and see if the group is any more cohesive as such.

Hudon - RNH - Lehkhonen

Nurse - Weber
Mete-Petry
Schlemko-Benn
Alzner

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Hudon - RNH - Lehkhonen

Nurse - Weber
Mete-Petry
Schlemko-Benn
Alzner

Edmonton would want more than Patches....

14 hours ago, maas_art said:

Hudon - RNH - Lehkhonen

Nurse - Weber
Mete-Petry
Schlemko-Benn
Alzner

your a genious

14 hours ago, maas_art said:

Hudon - RNH - Lehkhonen

Nurse - Weber
Mete-Petry
Schlemko-Benn
Alzner

am i finally starting to get some converts here?! yes! yes jed! 

trade patchy is number 1, trade weber is number 2 though so hang onto that C for a minute.

• H_T_L locked this topic