The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017 Training Camp & Exhibition Season

HabsRuleForever

The Canadiens announced on Tuesday that seven players were being sent back to their respective Junior clubs following the team's return from the rookie tournament in Toronto.

The six players being returned are William Bitten (Hamilton Bulldogs), Josh Brook (Moose Jaw Warriors), Cale Fleury (Kootenay ICE), Michael Pezzetta (Sudbury Wolves), Scott Walford (Victoria Royals) and Jarret Tyszka (Seattle Thunderbirds).

Alexandre Alain, who was brought in to camp on an amateur tryout basis, was released and returned to the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada.

really curious to see what CJ's plan is.

I mean we know what MT did for the last several years - and CJ has said repeatedly he didnt want to "change too much" when he came in because he felt like it would be too much for the Canadiens at that time.   Im interested to see if he plans on using different players in different ways now that he has had a summer to evaluate and come up with a plan. 

Including Hudon and de La Rose, the Montreal Canadiens have 9 players who will need to clear waivers to be sent down to the Laval Rocket (via Capfriendly.com). These include: Peter Holland, Byron Froese, Zach Redmond, Daniel Carr, Chris Terry, Joseph Morrow, and Matt Taormina. Additionally, Andreas Martinsen and Brandon Davidson could be thrown into that list if they don’t make the team.

The Canadiens will hold their annual Red vs. White scrimmage at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Bell Centre with family-friendly activities planned for outside the building starting at 10 a.m. After the scrimmage, Canadiens players will be introduced to fans outside at Place des Canadiens at 3:45 p.m.. The scrimmage can also be watched live on RDS-INFO and at rds.ca.

The Canadiens will play their first of eight pre-season games Monday night against the Boston Bruins at Centre Vidéotron in Quebec City before the Washington Capitals visit the Bell Centre on Wednesday.

4 hours ago, RyderRocks73 said:

Lindgren will likely outperform Montoya but may or may not steal his spot on the roster.

Yeah, anyone who is not waiver eligible is going to have a really hard time cracking the lineup because we have so many players who will have to pass through waivers to be sent down.  That means guys like Hudon probably get a decent chance, but guys like Reway or Lindgren may not (even if they are better than some others who are eligible). 

7 hours ago, RyderRocks73 said:

Hudon, Reway, and Jerabek are who I'd be watching if I were there. Anybody viewing the camps?

Lindgren will likely outperform Montoya but may or may not steal his spot on the roster.

Hudon's got a decent chance of cracking the roster simply because he's no longer waiver-exempt. The question for me is whether he actually gets playing time or whether he's confined to the 4th line or press box. McCarron, Reway, and Jerabek are likely all headed to Laval given they don't need to clear waivers. It would take a monster camp to bump someone else.

I also think Lindgren is a solid goalie and probably a better option for us as a back-up, if only because he's cheaper and has the potential to become an NHL starter in the future. Montoya is a pretty good back-up but not a guy you want to play 30+ games nor a guy who's going to get any better than he is now. But again, pretty close to zero chance Montoya is bumped off the roster. I would be surprised if Montoya clears waivers if we tried to send him down, but I also don't think there's much return in a trade for a back-up. So I imagine Mtl will say the best thing for Lindgren is to stay in the AHL and get to play games rather than getting 15-18 games in the NHL as a back-up.

Todays practice lines:

Julien had Phillip Danault playing at centre between Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher, while Torrey Mitchell was between Paul Byron and Andrew Shaw.

Defenceman Karl Alzner, signed as a free agent this summer, was paired with Jeff Petry, while David Schlemko — another newcomer on the blue line — was with Noah Juulsen.

When Team B took to the ice after Team A was done, there were some other interesting line combinations with Jonathan Drouin at centre between Max Pacioretty and Ales Hemsky, while Tomas Plekanec was between Charles Hudon and Artturi Lehkonen. On defence, Shea Weber was paired with Victor Mete and Jordie Benn was with Mark Streit.

23 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Hudon's got a decent chance of cracking the roster simply because he's no longer waiver-exempt. The question for me is whether he actually gets playing time or whether he's confined to the 4th line or press box. McCarron, Reway, and Jerabek are likely all headed to Laval given they don't need to clear waivers. It would take a monster camp to bump someone else.

Yeah, Hudon, to me, would have to have a pretty bad camp for them to risk sending him down. I think he's pretty near a lock, but like you, worry he may not get playing time.  That said, we have a lot of good young forwards, there's really no reason you couldnt roll a high energy, scoring 'kid line' like edmonton used to do (Carr-Hudon-McCarron) and give the tough defensive assignments to the top 3 lines, which should all be pretty defensively responsible. 

I think Jerabek may have a good chance of sticking.  He has a clause in his contract that allows him to go back to Europe if he doesnt stay with the big club.  Now, maybe CJ can convince him that he needs to go to the minors to adjust his game (and get playing time rather than press-box duty with the big club) but its tough to say.   Im still holding out hope he's going to be our answer to the #1LD spot... i know, its a very big long-shot at this point....

5 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Todays practice lines:Julien had Phillip Danault playing at centre between Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher, while Torrey Mitchell was between Paul Byron and Andrew Shaw.

Obviously its day 1, and the teams were split up etc etc but thats an interesting combo.  I like the idea of spreading the wealth & if that trio worked out you could do something like:

Patches - Drouin - Lekhonen
Galchenyuk - Danault - Gallagher

Not a badly balanced top 6 actually.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Obviously its day 1, and the teams were split up etc etc but thats an interesting combo.  I like the idea of spreading the wealth & if that trio worked out you could do something like:

Patches - Drouin - Lekhonen
Galchenyuk - Danault - Gallagher

Not a badly balanced top 6 actually.

If you judge things based on today only, then we have

Pac-Drouin-Lehkonen

AG-Danault-BG

Hudon-Plek-Hemsky

Byron-Mitchell-Shaw

So it certainly seems as though Hudon will be given first shot at cracking the top 12. It's refreshing to see him placed in the top 9, as opposed to having young guys tossed onto the 4th line or pressbox and made to play with grinders. Nice to see Martinsen is nowhere near there as well. I think you can at least argue that our top 6 forwards are in the top 6, even though Danault is better-suited for playing the 3rd line, AG is better-suited to playing center, and you can argue Hudon has more offensive upside. But overall, I would be okay with starting the season like this.

The D pairings were also interesting, with Mete and Juulsen both paired with a veteran (Weber and Schlemko respectively). Now we know MB has already stated the team saw Schlemko partnering Weber, so I think this means they'll give Mete and Juulsen each a short look and then end up demoting the two youngsters and combining Schlemko-Weber together, but at least we're seeing Mete get rewarded for his solid play. The most interesting question is who will play with Benn on the 3rd pairing.although it looks like Streit might get first crack here. Probably good news for Davidson and Morrow that they're on the same squad as Benn for now, less good for Jerabek and Gelinas to be in no-man's land on the other team, although things can obviously change quickly.

Not an overly impressive game. I did like what I saw from a few of the defencemen... Morrow played pretty well with the exception of his turnover for a goal, Gelinas had some pretty nice sequences, and Lernout did okay too.

Up front, the Byron-Mitchell-Shaw line showed good intensity. Galchenyuk made some pretty lazy plays, albeit he also had that brilliant no-look pass right onto Gallagher's stick for a scoring chance. Danault didn't really create much offensively. Not much to really write home about the bottom 6 forwards tonight, insomuch that I don't think anyone helped their chance of making the team (notably McCarron and DLR).

17 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Not an overly impressive game. I did like what I saw from a few of the defencemen... Morrow played pretty well with the exception of his turnover for a goal, Gelinas had some pretty nice sequences, and Lernout did okay too.

Up front, the Byron-Mitchell-Shaw line showed good intensity. Galchenyuk made some pretty lazy plays, albeit he also had that brilliant no-look pass right onto Gallagher's stick for a scoring chance. Danault didn't really create much offensively. Not much to really write home about the bottom 6 forwards tonight, insomuch that I don't think anyone helped their chance of making the team (notably McCarron and DLR).

He also made a lazy no-look pass right on to a ruins stick on the PP that led to a ruins goal. 

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Morrow is a guy who still really piques my interest.  He's 24, a former first round pick and was once thought so highly of that he was a key part of the Seguin deal. In many ways he's Beaulieu 2.0    It seems like he's got all the skills, he moves the puck well, has good speed but makes mistakes more than one would want for a top 4 guy.

What I really find interesting is that Julien had several years with him. He knows what he can give and got MB to sign him... so it makes you wonder if Julien believes he can be in our top 7.  

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Morrow is a guy who still really piques my interest.  He's 24, a former first round pick and was once thought so highly of that he was a key part of the Seguin deal. In many ways he's Beaulieu 2.0    It seems like he's got all the skills, he moves the puck well, has good speed but makes mistakes more than one would want for a top 4 guy.

What I really find interesting is that Julien had several years with him. He knows what he can give and got MB to sign him... so it makes you wonder if Julien believes he can be in our top 7.  

Weber, Petry, Alzner, Benn, Schlemko... those 5 are pretty much locks to be in the top 6 in some order. So there are 2-3 spots left open. Based on the pairings, it seems like Streit has the inside edge on a job albeit I don't think he's guaranteed to be in the top 6. Jerabek looks like he's likely headed to the AHL to start and despite what CJ and MB have said about Mete or Juulsen being able to win a job, I doubt it happens to start the year either. So we're looking at Morrow being up against Gelinas, Davidson, Lernout, Redmond, etc. Lernout doesn't need to clear waivers and if MB has learned anything about exposing Barberio to waivers for nothing last year, then it's clear to me that if a Morrow or Gelinas stands out, they'll have the edge over Lernout. FWIW, Davidson, Morrow, and Streit are listed on the Habs roster on this website, although that is likely just because of their contracts being NHL deals. On the other hand, the fact those guys are the ones walking in here with one-way NHL deals also says something. If you ask me to rank Davidson, Morrow, Streit, and Gelinas in terms of who I'd most like to see on the NHL roster come opening day, Streit is clearly last for me. I just don't think he can be an everyday player at his age. The other 3 are tough because they all have potential... Gelinas is a guy I've had an eye on even before he got here and he seems to have a good mix of size, skill, and skating, so I think he's got the most upside. But I think it's a tough battle.

Players who IMO have helped their stock tonight:

- Hudon, who is playing like an NHLer. Really impressed by his tenacity and forechecking skill.

- Mete: moves the puck and has great vision.

- Jerabek: looks pretty smooth and pinches in when he sees a chance

- Lindgren: picking up where he left off, he looks like he could be in the NHL and maybe even a starter some day

Players whose stock has fallen:

- Scherbak: penalties and not much else to show for his night

- Martinsen: looks like he should be AHL-bound. He's been out-played by most younger guys the 1st two games

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Players who IMO have helped their stock tonight:

- Hudon, who is playing like an NHLer. Really impressed by his tenacity and forechecking skill.

- Mete: moves the puck and has great vision.

- Jerabek: looks pretty smooth and pinches in when he sees a chance

- Lindgren: picking up where he left off, he looks like he could be in the NHL and maybe even a starter some day

Players whose stock has fallen:

- Scherbak: penalties and not much else to show for his night

- Martinsen: looks like he should be AHL-bound. He's been out-played by most younger guys the 1st two games

Didnt see all the game but from what i saw, i agree.

To me:
-  Hudon is pretty much a lock at this point. No way they risk exposing him & he's definitely earning his place.  
- Mete is way better than i expected but due to his age & our log-jam, id be shocked to see him stick.  The only way is if they felt he was our best option next to Weber but would he really be able to handle those sorts of minutes?
- Jerabek also looks as advertised.  Being waiver-exempt, not sure if he can escape the numbers though.
- Lindgren looks very very good.  I think they might even consider waiving Montoya - except - that Lindgren will definetly get more rubber in the AHL than in the NHL
- Scherbak is really starting to bum me out.  Im almost at the point where id include him in a trade just so that we could recover some value since im worried he'll be a bust
- Martinsen looks so bad.  I only hope Andrighetto doesnt pick up where he left off or this might look like a catastrophic deal in a year or 2.