The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Will Victor Mete Play Any NHL Games?

kinot-2

How many NHL games will Victor Mete play?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Will Victor Mete play any NHL games?"

• Will he play 0 NHL games?
    • Will he play 3-5 games?
    • Will he play 5-7 games?
    • Will he play 7-9 games?
    • Will he play over 10 games?

He earned the opportunity to . The other guys , who had the better chance of making it , just didn't do anything in pre season.

He was drafted by Mark Hunter ( for the London Knights ) so maybe the kid has something.

Who  would of thought, good for VM.

I love this kid. His play has been dynamic but also responsible. He had the highest +/- of any player on that ice tonight. He fits well on Weber's left side. I love the way he pinches in the offensive zone to put on the pressure. I don't remember the last time I saw a Habs defenceman pick up a puck behind the red line and bury it in the net. But I think he knows when to be responsible and not get caught out of position; but he has the speed to recover as well. :) He knows exactly how to talk to the Montreal media; he hasn't said once that he has this in the bag- but he does. So, he's at least earned his 9 games. Management might want to get a better look at Schlemko, but I think he's probably better suited to playing next to Benn on the third pairing. One of Streit/Davidson/Morrow becomes your 7th man.

I think he will start the season with us.  I am 50/50 on whether he makes it past 9 games though. I guess it really depends what CJ sees in him between now and then.

Why does your poll not have an option for more than 9 games? I mean obviously 9 or less you can send him back to junior but there's certainly a possibility he stays with us for the whole year. 

1 hour ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

He better play is right.

He is a small player however. So I fear it's only a matter of time before he gets a true taste of the NHL.

He'll either bulk up or he won't.

Ryan Ellis, Torey Krug, Sami Vatanen, Jared Spurgeon, Brian Campbell, Tyson Barrie.

44 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think he will start the season with us.  I am 50/50 on whether he makes it past 9 games though. I guess it really depends what CJ sees in him between now and then.

Why does your poll not have an option for more than 9 games? I mean obviously 9 or less you can send him back to junior but there's certainly a possibility he stays with us for the whole year. 

That's why you're an admin,,, and I'm not. :P

he has become one of the best skaters on the team, he reads the play extremely well, and can easily dart to the open areas of the ice, there is no reason at all for him not to be in the lineup for opening night and I do see him playing all season, unlike last season with Sergachev he looked hesitant on a lot of plays, typical for a young player, Mete has looked poised and well aware of his skill set. The regular season is different....so we shall see..... 

iF the experiment works, we will potentially have a much better defensive roster than I think any of us imagined.  All the LD move down the lineup and we end up with:

Mete - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Schlemko - Benn

That gives you 3 pairings that can handle decent minutes (albeit Weber & Petrys' will have the most), a decent puck mover on each and a "shutdown" dman on each.  What this does is gives CJ a pretty interchangeable group of 3 pairs.  He can set up a zone-defensive system (as he usually does) and all 3 pairs will play it pretty much the same way. 

Of course for this plan to work, our hopes lie in a 19 year old who wasnt even supposed to be in discussion for a roster spot just a month or so ago...

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

iF the experiment works, we will potentially have a much better defensive roster than I think any of us imagined.  All the LD move down the lineup and we end up with:

Mete - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Schlemko - Benn

That gives you 3 pairings that can handle decent minutes (albeit Weber & Petrys' will have the most), a decent puck mover on each and a "shutdown" dman on each.  What this does is gives CJ a pretty interchangeable group of 3 pairs.  He can set up a zone-defensive system (as he usually does) and all 3 pairs will play it pretty much the same way. 

Of course for this plan to work, our hopes lie in a 19 year old who wasnt even supposed to be in discussion for a roster spot just a month or so ago...

What have we been saying?

But also importantly, what is he going to show us?

i like the way he plays he is less hesitant than Sergachev was he is faster in fact i think he is better all the way around. if after 3-4 games on the road to start the season he still looks good i say he stays for good and MB will have dodged a major bullet! then that extra cap space could really come in useful!

3 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

i like the way he plays he is less hesitant than Sergachev was he is faster in fact i think he is better all the way around. if after 3-4 games on the road to start the season he still looks good i say he stays for good and MB will have dodged a major bullet! then that extra cap space could really come in useful!

Tough to say who will be better (and I havent watched Sergachev this year at TB camp) but i would agree in the time we saw each in a Habs uni, Mete has looked better.

And you're right, if this works out, MB dodged a massive bullet. The other positive that may come is:  Does Mete save Galchenyuk from getting moved?  I think you could make a strong argument that going into camp we needed a #1LD more than we needed a centre, so there was a very real chance MB would be looking to swap Galchenyuk for a puck-moving D.   Now that we (may) have that, perhaps he's less likely to move AG27.  As much as i think MB may move him for what he feels is a better fit, I dont believe he'll move him for less than he's worth.  

Mete looks more NHL-ready this year than Sergachev looked last year. But Sergachev by all accounts has looked pretty good this season in Tampa's camp. I've seen comparisons for Mete to Tory Krug and Brian Campbell and Ryan Ellis. The one I like best is Kimmo Timonen. Smart player, decent skater, good vision and an above-average but not #1 D man skillset.

Sergachev on the other hand has skills that are harder to find: he's adept at skating with the puck, he uses his frame well, and his shot is better than Mete's IMO. I think he's got the higher upside, maybe closer to a Duncan Keith. I think Sergachev is more likely to be an all-star, more likely to win a Norris, and more likely to be a #1 D man. But that doesn't discount what Mete brings. I think Mete has the potential to be a solid top 4 D man, and he has the type of skills that translate well into today's NHL.

well since we have mete and not Sergachev, i really hope mete can become an all star or at least a top 4 defenceman, Sergachev is a highly skilled defenceman and did not fit our GMs needs, hope he does good in tampa, not too good just good

54 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Mete looks more NHL-ready this year than Sergachev looked last year. But Sergachev by all accounts has looked pretty good this season in Tampa's camp. I've seen comparisons for Mete to Tory Krug and Brian Campbell and Ryan Ellis. The one I like best is Kimmo Timonen. Smart player, decent skater, good vision and an above-average but not #1 D man skillset.

Sergachev on the other hand has skills that are harder to find: he's adept at skating with the puck, he uses his frame well, and his shot is better than Mete's IMO. I think he's got the higher upside, maybe closer to a Duncan Keith. I think Sergachev is more likely to be an all-star, more likely to win a Norris, and more likely to be a #1 D man. But that doesn't discount what Mete brings. I think Mete has the potential to be a solid top 4 D man, and he has the type of skills that translate well into today's NHL.

Pretty much agree with what you've said.  Both are, of course, big question marks but then so is Droin who, if he turns into a legit #1 Centre fits a huge hole on our roster for a long time. 

Mete, even if he turns into one of the lesser players you mentioned should look even better than any of them because his defensive partner (weber) is pretty much the ideal player to compliment his skill-set.