The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: Captain

BigTed3

Who in your opinion should be the captain of the Montreal Canadiens?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who in your opinion should be the captain of the Montreal Canadiens?

• Max Pacioretty
    • Shea Weber
    • Brendan Gallagher
    • Other

Max Pacioretty recently did an interview where he said he was struggling to figure out how to lead the team out of its slump and that he has been the worst player on the team (whether he believes that or not). He admitted he stays up at night thinking about what he can do. Is the pressure getting to be too much for Max?

Keeping Carey Price out of the equation as a potential captain, even if he's the de facto leader of the team, who would you proceed with as captain of the Canadiens right now?

I think that Patches should be captain, no question about it.

Unless something wild were to happen, like him being traded, or if he were to step down. In which case I think Webber would be the beyond obvious choice.

But I can't see any benefit to making a switch just for the sake of it. The leaders in the room are the leaders in the room, regardless of who wears the letters. 

Honestly, I really dont know how much importance the "C" on a player's jersey plays.  We know guys with no letters can be leaders so its a tough call. 

Having said that I would figure out a way to get Patches to give up the C  (And then announce the fans he gave it away willingly) and give it to Weber.  Whether you put much stock in a letter or not, Weber clearly has the room's ears and as a Messier award recipient, he's regarded as a leader by his peers.   But probably the main reason id make this move (and would have done so the minute Weber was acquired) is that i think its too much pressure for Patches.  When things are going well, its fine but when he slumps he carries the added weight of being captain to drag him down.   My 2c

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

Honestly, I really dont know how much importance the "C" on a player's jersey plays.  We know guys with no letters can be leaders so its a tough call. 

Having said that I would figure out a way to get Patches to give up the C  (And then announce the fans he gave it away willingly) and give it to Weber.  Whether you put much stock in a letter or not, Weber clearly has the room's ears and as a Messier award recipient, he's regarded as a leader by his peers.   But probably the main reason id make this move (and would have done so the minute Weber was acquired) is that i think its too much pressure for Patches.  When things are going well, its fine but when he slumps he carries the added weight of being captain to drag him down.   My 2c

I'm not sure Pacioretty is the best captain in the world, but I wouldn't go taking it away form him for anything he's done in that regard. Like you, I would take away his C for him. He's obviously feeling a lot of pressure and not coping very well with it in terms of his on-ice performance. There aren't a lot of other viable candidates on the team, so for now, Weber is the most obvious choice to replace him.

I voted other. I really don't think it matters much, but the processing of stripping it from Pacioretty would be a hideous circus.

I'm not sure every team should have a captain, frankly. There have been players in the past (and currently playing) who were extraordinary leaders and motivators for their team, but you're not going to automatically get that every season. I'd prefer a three-assistant arrangement unless and until a significantly important player emerged. 

22 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

I voted other. I really don't think it matters much, but the processing of stripping it from Pacioretty would be a hideous circus.

I'm not sure every team should have a captain, frankly. There have been players in the past (and currently playing) who were extraordinary leaders and motivators for their team, but you're not going to automatically get that every season. I'd prefer a three-assistant arrangement unless and until a significantly important player emerged. 

I do think every team should have a captain. I agree there isn't always an obvious candidate, but I think that speaks volumes to the lack of leadership in the room if there's no one willing to step up to fill the role. I come back to Subban as being a guy who always supported his teammates, who was willing to take the spotlight and deflect a lot of the media attention and criticism away from the others, and who rose to the occasion when times got tough. That to me is captain material, and I said it when the team named Pacioretty that it was a huge mistake, because as good a hockey player as Pacioretty is, he isn't a guy who puts the team on his back the way a Subban, Koivu, Gainey, Beliveau could do. This team needs to find a player willing to do that, but since the departure of Subban we're just not seeing it. And I'll come back to this again, but I think a lot of that has to do with the culture MB has built, where no one is allowed to be an individual and no one is supposed to rise above the team and bland personalities are seen as a good thing. This team needs more personality and guys who aren't afraid to challenge their teammates to be better.

I went with other. If we're going to strip Max of the C, then we need to go at least a year without a Captain and then review the situation next season. If he's traded, then that changes things. A good idea might be to go with a bilingual choice, so as to minimize the media crap that will likely follow. Somebody like Drouin might be a consideration.

• H_T_L locked this topic