The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Thu, Oct 26 7:30 PM ET Los Angeles @ Montreal RDS TSN2 FOX Sports West TSN 690 Radio

habs_93

3 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

I agree, and disagree. Our offence is actually better at generating chances than it "feels" like right now, due to our incredibly poor shooting luck. The issue is shot suppression and the defence in general, though. Our offence is almost working... in spite of Weber, who cannot drive 5-on-5 play anymore, period. The defence is getting eaten for the same reason. You can't patch this up unless you're willing to admit that Weber can't play top 5-on-5 minutes. But this organization is completely incapable of making that decision.

The problem is that last year, Petry WAS capable of giving top-duo minutes, so he covered up for Weber. This year, Petry has been worse, in large part due to playing with Alzner (JP has looked better with Davidson, which isn't saying much for Alzner). But yes, 100% we have a terrible D corps. That doesn't change the fact Carey's not stopping pucks. This isn't just a high GAA in the context of an acceptable save percentage. Carey's letting in goals in spades and he's doing it on what should be routine saves.

Just now, BigTed3 said:

To be honest, I think Julien is a very good coach. Unlike last year, where we had no system and made puzzling decision after puzzling decision, I'm on board with a lot of what Julien has done. The system is much better, we're getting chances, and he's letting young guys play. Would Therrien ever have had Hudon, Lehkonen, Mac, and Scherbak in while Mitchell sits? Would Streit have been let go and Mete still here under MT? The Galchneyuk thing is the one thing that puzzles me, but otherwise, I think CJ has been good. The bigger problems have been lack of goaltending and finish (both of which theoretically will sort themselves out over time) and really bad personnel on D (which is the GM's fault, not the coach's).

I 100% agree we shouldn't limit ourselves based on language, but that doesn't make Julien a bad coach and I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him.

We both have said the Julien is a good coach, but we both have also noticed that the ONLY reason we got Julien is because he happened to be available when they canned Therrien, and he happened to speak French.  It could have been Carbo if Julien hadn't been fired.  But in any instance, it was never going to be Babcock or Robinson or other greats whose first language is not French.  

Just now, vegasrick said:

We both have said the Julien is a good coach, but we both have also noticed that the ONLY reason we got Julien is because he happened to be available when they canned Therrien, and he happened to speak French.  It could have been Carbo if Julien hadn't been fired.  But in any instance, it was never going to be Babcock or Robinson or other greats whose first language is not French.  

Agreed.

The Habs didn't even call Robinson back, despite his interest.

Rumor was that Babcock wanted to come here more than Toronto, if you believe some pretty reputable sources, and we also didn't interview him or consider it.

I completely believe the process is flawed. But that doesn't mean I believe Julien is at fault for our start this year, and frankly, I think he was the best coach available for us at the time we hired him. So language aside, he would have been my choice. That said, Therrien was clearly the wrong choice and only got the job because he spoke French. I was excited about MB when he first started here, because he seemed to have a good resume, but my first choice was Jim Nill, and we declined interviewing him as well because of language. Kirk Muller left here the first time because he saw a glass ceiling.

The one part of the story that stands out is Gerard Gallant. Rumors among the TSN insider group were that Gallant was contacted by the Habs when they were firing Therrien because the team wasn't sure if Boston would give them permission to hire Julien. So it suggests that the organization was willing to consider a non-Francophone for the first time in the Bergevin era. Will be interesting to see what happens with future moves. There is strong thought that the Habs want Julien Brisebois as their next GM but that Tampa won't give permission to speak to him. But is he the best candidate or are there others who aren't getting a fair shake because of language? Don't know. At best, we're breaking even and getting the guys we would have gotten anyways. More likely, we've handicapped ourselves by limiting our candidate pools.

4 minutes ago, southernhabfan said:

I have been following this team forever...well my forever....60+ years.....but how many losses....season after season...will it take before we see empty seats at the Forum Cathedral???

it's never gonna happen.  It will always be full no matter what.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

The one part of the story that stands out is Gerard Gallant. Rumors among the TSN insider group were that Gallant was contacted by the Habs when they were firing Therrien because the team wasn't sure if Boston would give them permission to hire Julien. So it suggests that the organization was willing to consider a non-Francophone for the first time in the Bergevin era. 

I heard that back then, but I often wondered if they really approached him.  I think he would have taken the job at the time if it was truly offered.  I doubt that the Golden Knights had already made their offer.  

• H_T_L locked this topic

Archived