The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

9:00 PM ET Montreal @ Calgary SNW, TSN2, RDS, TSN 690 Radio

kinot-2

SURPRISE!!!!!! IT'S GAMEDAY, WHOOPPEE!!!

TONIGHT, OUR HABBIES ARE IN CALGARY TO TAKE ON THE FLAMES.

Canadiens-vs-Flames.jpg

9:00 PM ET   Montreal @ Calgary   SNW, TSN2, RDS, TSN 690 Radio

NEED TO KNOW,,, OR NOT. 

Probable Line-Ups
Pacioretty - Drouin - Byron
Galchenyuk - Danault - Shaw
Hudon - Plekanec - Gallagher
Deslauriers - Froese - Carr

Alzner - Petry
Benn - Schlemko
Morrow - Jerabek

Price

FLAMES GAME DAY LINES
Johnny Gaudreau-Sean Monahan-Michael Ferland
Matthew Tkachuk-Mikael Backlund-Michael Frolik
Sam Bennett-Mark Jankowski-Garnet Hathawa
Troy Brouwer-Matt Stajan-Freddie Hamilton

DEFENCE PAIRINGS

Mark Giordano-Dougie Hamilton
TJ Brodie-Michael Stone
Brett Kulak-Matt Bartkowski

GOALIES
Mike Smith

SPECIAL TEAMS (PRIOR TO THURSDAY) 
POWER PLAY 
FLAMES: 17.1% (22nd)
CANADIENS: 18.5% (18th)

PENALTY KILL
FLAMES: 77.4% (26th) 
CANADIENS:  77.7% (25th)

kinot-2's GDT Record, 9-7-0

18 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

They called up Lernout so it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the lineup,,,,, maybe in Morrow's place?

IDK,,, not from what I've read and heard. I would like to see him tho. Could be a GTD. 

Julien has confirmed no changes on D for tonight, so maybe we'll see Lernout tomorrow.

Lehkonen is a game-time decision. Julien said it would be a hard call as to who sits if Lehkonen is ready because the 4th line is playing well. For me, it's a no-brainer that it's Froese though. The 4th line has benefited enormously from a high PDO but has awful possession numbers. They're not playing as well as everyone thinks they are, and Froese has been the worst member of the trio by a mile. I'd love to see Lehkonen get in and get Froese (and eventually Deslauriers) out of the line-up.

22 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Julien has confirmed no changes on D for tonight, so maybe we'll see Lernout tomorrow.

Lehkonen is a game-time decision. Julien said it would be a hard call as to who sits if Lehkonen is ready because the 4th line is playing well. For me, it's a no-brainer that it's Froese though. The 4th line has benefited enormously from a high PDO but has awful possession numbers. They're not playing as well as everyone thinks they are, and Froese has been the worst member of the trio by a mile. I'd love to see Lehkonen get in and get Froese (and eventually Deslauriers) out of the line-up.

Totally. Lehkonen has played centre before (albeit not at the NHL level) so if you're really worried about him not being game-ready you slot him into Froese's place. I guarantee you he wont do any worse. 

Just now, Noob616 said:

Lmaoooo Lehkonen in for Hudon and the 4th line intact. Why do I care so much about this dumb team holy

The coaching is an embarrassment. You have an excess of skill guys available and you keep Froese and Deslauriers in the line-up. The 4th line as it is is riding a PDO over 120, but they're getting killed in shot attempts and scoring chances. They're really not as good as people seem to think they are. Don't know how anyone can think to themselves that Froese or Deslauriers is more useful than Hudon. Shameful.

Gaston Therrien: "I don't understand. This team can't score goals, yet when it comes time to make a change to the line-up, no one wants to touch the 4th line. Are they all Sidney Crosby's on the 4th line? I don't understand taking a player like Charles Hudon out of the line-up. I don't understand the rush to get Lehkonen back in if it means you're taking Hudon out."

Byron Froese: 46% Corsi, 49% expected goals for %, PDO 107

Nic Deslauriers: 43% Corsi (worst on team), 43% expected goals for %, PDO 114

Charles Hudon: 53% Corsi (3rd best among forwards on team behind only Lehkonen and Pacioretty), 59% expected goals for % (best on team), PDO 96

So what does that mean (for those who don't care for statistics)?... Hudon is the forward who, if you remove the luck factor, should give us the best chances of winning games. Deslauriers and Froese conversely give us the highest chances of losing games and thus far have benefited from extreme amounts of luck to get where they are. The numbers strongly predict that Froese and Deslauriers will come crashing down and cost us dearly, whereas Hudon will be a great asset and lead to many more goals for than against. It's bananas that Hudon gets scratched ahead of either of these guys. The philosophy that you need grinders in your line-up is antiquated, and there is no evidence but to suggest it hurts you as a team. If you want to know why the Habs continue to struggle, it's because players like Froese and Deslauriers are put on the roster and then over-used, while skill players like Galchenyuk, Hudon,and Lehkonen don't get the ice time the numbers suggest they deserve.

• H_T_L locked this topic