The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Forum Changes

BigTed3

As we head into the new year, you're going to notice some changes to the forum coming up in the next week or so. We're going to be updating the site a little bit and re-organizing the threads to make it more user-friendly. So what will you notice? A lot of the threads you're used to seeing will no longer exist. We're going to be eliminating the individual player threads and many of the ones that don't see a lot of traffic or that are somewhat redundant. A lot of the discussion surrounding the Habs can now be shifted to the general State of the Habs thread instead, although a number of other favorites will remain.

Rather than having long-lasting threads, we're instead going to ask you to create and/or post in threads that are more like headlines, in line with more of a social media approach. You've seen some of these already in our current format. For example, a thread for the draft; a thread for a big trade; one for the trade deadline; or a poll about a specific topic. So now, if you have a specific question or topic you want to discuss, you can create a new thread (if a similar one does not already exist) and discussion can take place on that specific topic until it runs it course. Instead of having an "Alex Galchenyuk" thread, you can now create a thread to discuss "Galchenyuk's usage on the PP" or "Will Galchenyuk hit 30 goals?" or so on.

We're also hoping to leave it up to you to moderate your own actions a little bit more, meaning you can feel more free to express yourself in your own words and to give your opinions about what's happening in the world of the Canadiens and the NHL. You may have noticed this to some degree already, but if you have a negative opinion about a member of the Habs or the league, we'll allow you to share that, so long as it's constructive. The Code of Conduct will be updated to reflect this, but we will maintain rules designed to reflect a certain level of decorum and to ensure everyone feels safe. Attacking or belittling others or threatening anyone's safety in any way will not be tolerated, despite relaxation of rules in other areas. Keep your posts about the points being made and not about the poster who's making them.

The goal of these changes is to generate more focused discussion about current issues and to allow you to direct threads and conversations as you see fit, rather than having three simultaneous discussions about Bergevin's mistakes in different threads or a Michael McNiven thread sitting unused for 6 months.

So feel free to make use of the new format once it's up and running in short order. Post threads with polls or questions, post with links or pictures or games or trivia, post your ideas or your opinions. We'd also love for each of you, our regular posters, to invite new people to be a part of this forum. Post links to interesting debates on your social media feeds or in forums elsewhere on the internet. Invite your friends. Be active. And if you're a long-time reader but have never posted, it's never too late to join. Even those of us who have been here a long time welcome a fresh opinion and new perspective, so don't hesitate to sign up for an nhl.com account and introduce yourself to our community.

Let's do that hockey,

The moderating team

38 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Am I to understand that these changes are more "internal" rather than NHL.com making the changes? 

Correct. These are not board updates to layout or features. These are internal changes to the composition of the forum to simplify the posting process and make the topics being discussed more current and focused.

14 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Are we going to lose our ability to log in, like last time  ?

No. Not because of this. This is not an update to the coding of the forum nor to accounts from nhl.com. This is merely a change in the composition of the threads.

2 hours ago, habs1952 said:

These changes are going to be tough for us old farts.

I may be old, but I'm not a fart. :P

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Wadda ya mean "us", there is no us, there never was an "us",,,, there is only you. :P

Yep

2 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Be quiet ya old coot. :6416:

"Coot"  A coot is a bird, maybe you think i"m a bird, but, I assure you, I don't have feathers. :P

1 hour ago, HabsRuleForever said:

^^You guys know you just have to click, type then click again right?

Uhhhhhh, say what?

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

:6188:

Your related to '52,,,,,, right? 

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah. 52 and 22 have the same last name... 2.

I can just imagine you sitting at your PC, staring at the screen for 10 mins., and wondering what kind of comeback you could come up with,,,,,, and then a light bulb comes on.:P

11 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

"Coot"  A coot is a bird, maybe you think i"m a bird, but, I assure you, I don't have feathers. :P

Here, take the test:

You sit on a rocking chair and can't get it going.

Your knees buckle but your belt won't.

Your back goes out more than you do.

You hear a Beatles' song from your youth on the Muzak in the elevator.

Everything hurts, and what doesn't hurt doesn't work.

Your little black book contains only names ending in "M.D."

You can't wait for Baskin-Robbins to market an oat-bran ice cream.

You know all the answers, but nobody asks you the questions.

The gleam in your eye is from the sun hitting your bifocals.

You sink your teeth into a steak, and they stay there.

You need glasses to find your glasses.

You finally reach the top of the ladder and find it leaning against the wrong wall.

You're still chasing women, but can't remember why.

Your mind makes contracts that your body can't meet.

4 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I can just imagine you sitting at your PC, staring at the screen for 10 mins., and wondering what kind of comeback you could come up with,,,,,, and then a light bulb comes on.:P

I resent that! It only took me like 6 minutes.