The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Franson on waivers: would you claim him?

BigTed3

The Hawks have placed Franson on waivers. He makes 1M this season then becomes a UFA. Ottawa is rumored to be interested and has waiver claim priority over us, but would you take him if he was left open to us? Is he better than Morrow? Do you send Mete down instead? Do you try to claim him, play his value up, then trade him at the deadline?

I think i would.  We have the $ obviously.  The problem isnt adding a guy like Franson, the problem is ensuring you dress your 6 best defensmen on any given night.

He could be our best choice for 3rd pairing RHD.  Benn has been playing LD a fair bit which put someone else out of position behind Weber & Petry.  I definitely wouldnt sign him to play him over Mete but Id be fine giving him a shot over Morrow or Alzner, albeit the latter has a looked almost serviceable the last couple of games, his best as a hab. 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

The Hawks have placed Franson on waivers. He makes 1M this season then becomes a UFA. Ottawa is rumored to be interested and has waiver claim priority over us, but would you take him if he was left open to us? Is he better than Morrow? Do you send Mete down instead? Do you try to claim him, play his value up, then trade him at the deadline?

First off, how does Ottawa have any priority over us (or any other team) to this waiver claim? Secondly, he's 30, 6'5", 224#, and was a -5 in each of his 2 years in Buffalo, hard to do with that team. I think he could be an upgrade on Morrow or Alzner. 

8 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

First off, how does Ottawa have any priority over us (or any other team) to this waiver claim? Secondly, he's 30, 6'5", 224#, and was a -5 in each of his 2 years in Buffalo, hard to do with that team. I think he could be an upgrade on Morrow or Alzner. 

Waiver priority is based on point percentage accumulated to date. Thus far we have 3 extra points in 2 extra games and we have a higher percentage of points accumulated (Ott would have to play .750 in their next two games to catch us). Agreed, I think he would be an upgrade on Morrow and Alzner... he doesn't cost much, so either he helps and we can deal him at the deadline if he has value OR he has no value and we cut him lose at the end of the year. But maybe you can turn him into a 4th or 5th round pick for free.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Waiver priority is based on point percentage accumulated to date. Thus far we have 3 extra points in 2 extra games and we have a higher percentage of points accumulated (Ott would have to play .750 in their next two games to catch us). Agreed, I think he would be an upgrade on Morrow and Alzner... he doesn't cost much, so either he helps and we can deal him at the deadline if he has value OR he has no value and we cut him lose at the end of the year. But maybe you can turn him into a 4th or 5th round pick for free.

Ottawa has already said that they will be sellers (pretty much a rebuild), so I don't think they would want him. 

2 hours ago, booboo_mtl said:

Why not, for 1 mil you really can’t go wrong. Unless of course he has bad “dressing room” personality 

Basically, it's only $250,000 for the rest of the season. He knows that his future is in his hands to get a new contract, therefore, he will do his best to ensure another contract. 

On 1/8/2018 at 9:49 PM, BigTed3 said:

I think Morrow is younger and definitely costs less... he also has more of an offensive upside I believe. In the right situation and a better pairing he may do better overall. Problem is MB signed Alzner with term and wouldn't want to bite the bullet for this mistake (can he be wavered?). I always thought Franson would be a good fit for the Habs as a 3rd-pairing right defenseman... and he too, at one time, could contribute offensively with his shot from the point. At his size I wonder about his mobility. We can't forget Jerabek and Mete as options for the left-side defense also.

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Cleared waivers. Im sort of surprised, I would have thought someone would have use for him on their 3rd pairing at least. 

Not to mention cheap AND on a contract that ends after this season. It doesn't bode well for us. If no one was willing to take a player like that for free, then I highly highly doubt there is any market for us to trade Karl Alzner.

Not to mention cheap AND on a contract that ends after this season. It doesn't bode well for us. If no one was willing to take a player like that for free, then I highly highly doubt there is any market for us to trade Karl Alzner.

Do you think MB would/has even tried though?  I mean he should, certainly, but would he do that? 

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Do you think MB would/has even tried though?  I mean he should, certainly, but would he do that? 

I doubt MB has tried to trade Alzner, although rumors are that he's been gauging trade value for Shaw, so at least he is considering moving on from mistake signings...

I doubt MB has tried to trade Alzner, although rumors are that he's been gauging trade value for Shaw, so at least he is considering moving on from mistake signings...

do u think shaw would have much value, if any at all, i'm surprised we did not claim him,considering how bad our def is

8 hours ago, jwlk said:

do u think shaw would have much value, if any at all, i'm surprised we did not claim him,considering how bad our def is

Shaw himself has value. I actually like what he's done this season... fewer bad penalties, better scoring ability. That said, I think MB gave him a really bad contract and teams are staying away from guys with long-term deals who are not already theirs (i.e. they don't know first-hand how he'll do in their organization). I wonder if Chicago might take him back though. I think MB could find a taker if he wanted to, just not sure the return would be all that great. Definitely not getting our two high picks back.

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Shaw himself has value. I actually like what he's done this season... fewer bad penalties, better scoring ability. That said, I think MB gave him a really bad contract and teams are staying away from guys with long-term deals who are not already theirs (i.e. they don't know first-hand how he'll do in their organization). I wonder if Chicago might take him back though. I think MB could find a taker if he wanted to, just not sure the return would be all that great. Definitely not getting our two high picks back.

Agreed. I think you could probably move him & get a second pairing LD but we have guys who can fill in in a pinch.   Like you, i actually dont mind shaw at all this year.  His contract isnt great but its not like we have cap issues.  Id almost be inclined to keep him unless we could get good young value for him.   

Maybe a chicago - or possibly a team that thinks they are in for a cup run for the next few years.  Toronto could use an agitator that can play in their top 9.  They might give up a young asset for him.