The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

The Draft

maas_art

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I personally didn't think highly of McLeod but I liked Thomas as a 2nd round pick-up. I certainly see more value there than in Romanov. McIssac was really the guy I wanted at 35, which is why I'm disappointed to see us pass on him.

Habs had that combine for Scandinavian prospects and they clearly wanted to go back there multiple times. But I wonder if they ignored some guys here just because they thought they had inside information on some of these European guys.

I'm from Halifax and I've seen McIssac a few times and I'm honestly glad they stayed away at 35/38. I wouldn't say I have a great understanding of his game but he doesn't really scream top 4 guy to me.

He's a great skater and has decent puck skills but I'm skeptical his game will translate to the pros, I don't really love his gap control and he often bails himself out on bad reads with strength and skating and I just don't know how much you can count on players just fixing things like gap control this far into their careers.

I really like the Ylonen pick, not really defending the Romanov pick though. I wouldn't want McIssac but you've got to wonder if they should have just grabbed Wilde or Durzi or McLeod or McBain or whatever.

2 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

I'm from Halifax and I've seen McIssac a few times and I'm honestly glad they stayed away at 35/38. I wouldn't say I have a great understanding of his game but he doesn't really scream top 4 guy to me.

He's a great skater and has decent puck skills but I'm skeptical his game will translate to the pros, I don't really love his gap control and he often bails himself out on bad reads with strength and skating and I just don't know how much you can count on players just fixing things like gap control this far into their careers.

I really like the Ylonen pick, not really defending the Romanov pick though. I wouldn't want McIssac but you've got to wonder if they should have just grabbed Wilde or Durzi or McLeod or McBain or whatever.

Wilde and Durzi were two guys on my list too. I like the guys with the skills, and I think you have to trust the coaches to take care of positioning and hockey sense, to some degree. I'm happy with Ylonen as a pick, just think they reached a bit early to get him. If they had taken Ylonen with a mid-2nd round pick then ok. If they had taken Romanov with a 3rd rounder, then fine. But sucks to have 1st round talent sitting there and pass it up.

13 minutes ago, habsisme said:

everyone but 3 guys they drafted is under 6 feet tall

They literally went for almost all smaller or lighter guys who can skate fast and pass the puck but lack size and don't score a ton. A lot of centers. Plenty of guys in the same cast.

Overall I think they did pretty well. I don't really get the complaints about drafting small players, I am so tired of the Habs taking coke machines and I'm glad they swung for the fences on skill. Kotkaniemi is an inch shorter and the same weight as vaunted physical force Brady Tkachuk, and Olofsson is a big 6'2" two way center who played a tough game in the Allsvenskan as a 17 year old. I'm not concerned in the slightest that they took swings on smaller skill guys with other later picks. Ylonen isn't that small either, 6'0" 170 isn't a pro frame yet but he's not exactly Brian Gionta. 

• Kotkaniemi was a good calculated risk IMO. I can't fault them for the pick no matter what happens, I admire the chutzpah to make the pick and if he ends up being 85-90% as talented as Zadina but plays a puck possession and distribution game at C I think we'll be pretty happy with it. 
  • I really like Ylonen, he was 15th on Pronman's board which excites me. Stats aren't eye popping but he's an insanely good skater and he played in a men's league so I hope there's a lot of room to grow. 
  • Romanov is a question mark. People who follow the MHL seem to like him but it just seems like quite a reach, I guess we'll see but I'm not a big fan of the pick. I know they probably felt comfortable to reach with tons of 2nd rounders but with Wilde/Woo/McBain/McLeod/Tychonik/Thomas/Durzi on the board it feels like a big gamble. 
  • Olofsson seems like a solid pick, big center who played in Allsvenskan at 17 (helped promote his team to SHL for next year). He was ranked around 35 by most lists so I'm happy to get him at 56. Seems like more of a middle 6 two way C but that's also a pretty big team need.
  • Hillis seems good too, to me he seems like a guy who could end up on the wing as a pro and play a middle six role, and it's always a good sign to be taking one of the best players off a CHL team. 
  • Harris feels like a real "Timmins" pick, scored in bunches in high school and committed to Northeastern (NCAA), I don't think we'll see him for at least 3 years but the skill is intriguing. Feels like a reach as well but at 71 that's not a big deal and you can afford to swing on a guy with skill. 
  • McShane again feels like a guy you swing at, smallish and from what I've read not an amazing skater. Still, to get a PPG CHL guy that late is nice, and you've got to imagine that picking this many skilled C's in a draft will give you good odds of having a couple turn into real players. 
  • Gorniak another US High School guy, had crazy stats with his high school play, I guess we'll just have to see how he plays at Univ. of Wisconsin and see from there. Again, I have no issue with swinging on skill, I am so 100% done with the Habs taking "safe" picks because when you look at the success rates, taking a coke machine who can't score in the draft is actually incredibly risky. 
  • Fonstad feels like a real coup, to get a PPG player from the best league in the CHL at 128th is great. I'm mostly just going off Pronman's report for him but he sounds like a really skilled player to get so late and again, the Habs should just be rolling as many dice as they can on high end stars. I'd rather the Habs draft guys who have a top 6 ceiling than use picks on "safe" defensive 3rd liners who are a dime a dozen as free agents. 
  • Houde is whatever, two way Q center project, maybe could quibble with this pick but I'm not sure how much else was available. 
  • Stapley is a 7th rounder, small guy with great scoring in BC Jr. A, another guy where I think you just have to wait and see how his college season (Denver) goes and hope for a good trajectory. 

Overall I think they did well. I guess time will tell about that Romanov pick but outside that pick I don't think there's much I would quibble at too much. Wilde/Woo/McBain/McLeod/Tychonik/Thomas/Durzi are the sexier picks but most of them did fall quite a bit even after the Habs picked so perhaps there were some issues other teams had with those guys as well. 

The thing about a draft like this is you just have so many dice to roll, to me it feels like a smart play to draft as many guys like Hillis/McShane/Gorniak/Fonstad - smaller skill players with tons of upside and just hope that you get a player or two out of them. The Habs just desperately need any gamebreaking talent, and I think the best way to get it is to just continue rolling the dice on players with a strong track record of scoring and hope for the best. Romanov/Gorniak/Stapley/Harris feel like projects to me, but I think we might see Kotkaniemi and Oloffsson very soon and they will be really nice to have. 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

They literally went for almost all smaller or lighter guys who can skate fast and pass the puck but lack size and don't score a ton. A lot of centers. Plenty of guys in the same cast.

I don't really agree, almost every guy they took has a great record of scoring. Oloffson and Ylonen don't have eye popping stats but 27 points in 48 games and 22 points in 48 games in the Mestis and Allsvenskan as teenagers aren't exactly players that can't score IMO. Oloffson doesn't seem like a super high end offensive driver but to put up 22 points as a teen and play a big defensive role on a team that worked its way to the SHL is pretty impressive. 

Beyond that they got Hillis, McShane, and Fonstad who were all PPG players in the CHL, Stapley was over PPG in BCHL Jr. A, and Gorniak/Harris who scored in bunches in their high schools. The only guys they took without much scoring are Houde and Romanov. 

Not a terrible draft. Not at all how I would have handled the first two rounds, but hopefully that turns out to be because they are pro's and I am dumb :P

Personally I would have went with either Hughes or Dobson with the 3rd. Any of Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist or Bouchard would have been a good pickup, that's just my preference. Also could have gone with Zadina or Wahlstrom if we insisted on a scoring winger, but personally, I think D was the way to go at 3rd.

Going into the second round I would have liked to take a crack at any combination of Beaudin, Merkley, Sandin, Addison, O'Brien or McBain. But with a good chunk of those guys going earlier than expected, along with some serious gems slipping like they did, adjustments would have been necessary. It is my belief that not using our 35th and 38th to pick Thomas and McLeod will haunt us, almost as much as not trading up into the twilight of the first round to snag Veleno. I seriously don't understand Veleno falling that late. Most often a fall like that has something to do with attitude, size, health... I don't know. Even if you don't think he has top line potential, seems like a bunch of centers with far less upside, and/or far more risk wen't ahead of him. Time will tell, but I suspect he will make a lot of teams feel silly in a couple of years.

Outside of the first two rounds I like a lot of what we did. Got a few names that had caught my eye (McShane, Hillis, Hasrris, Fonstad). The others I'm not familiar with, but look alright to me.

I just hope it all works out for the best, looking forward to seeing how it all pans out!

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

its probably just me, but Hanifin and Lindholm would have been 2 players I would have loved to have. I wonder if we had anything they wanted more than Hamilton

Weber?

I know its probably a pipe dream to think MB would move him but with the picks yesterday it sure looks like we're "preparing for the long haul" - otherwise you take Zadina or Tkachuk, both of whom can probably step onto your roster next year. We took a guy who's (at best) a year away - (which is great, we need to start building right) -  so one would think by the time we're ready to compete the Webers and such should be shipped out? 

23 minutes ago, maas_art said:

-  so one would think by the time we're ready to compete the Webers and such should be shipped out? 

And when that happen we start to rebuild again . Why not just clean house now

28 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Weber?

I know its probably a pipe dream to think MB would move him but with the picks yesterday it sure looks like we're "preparing for the long haul" - otherwise you take Zadina or Tkachuk, both of whom can probably step onto your roster next year. We took a guy who's (at best) a year away - (which is great, we need to start building right) -  so one would think by the time we're ready to compete the Webers and such should be shipped out? 

see thats the thing... I like that about this draft but then why is Weber still here, why is Price... lets get the assets and hope for Hughes. If that were the I would even look at Domi trade in a different light, might not be the value I wanted but I'd get it. 

I hope Price bounces back because I don't think there is any hope of ever trading him if has another bad season... next CBA better have a buyout

I think we did well as we appear to have 2 first rounders in Kotkeniemi and Oloffson along with Ylonen and McShane who were early 2nd rounders. So I think we did a good job of using our 4 second rounders that morphed into some extra picks and even got some on the board for next tear. Bergevin has said upon arrival he wanted to build through the draft but has never really applied that philosophy,  trading almost as many as we have kept. Hopefully this starts a better trend. I like the pool of players we have heading into university programs as well.

5 hours ago, Noob616 said:

I don't really agree, almost every guy they took has a great record of scoring. Oloffson and Ylonen don't have eye popping stats but 27 points in 48 games and 22 points in 48 games in the Mestis and Allsvenskan as teenagers aren't exactly players that can't score IMO. Oloffson doesn't seem like a super high end offensive driver but to put up 22 points as a teen and play a big defensive role on a team that worked its way to the SHL is pretty impressive. 

Beyond that they got Hillis, McShane, and Fonstad who were all PPG players in the CHL, Stapley was over PPG in BCHL Jr. A, and Gorniak/Harris who scored in bunches in their high schools. The only guys they took without much scoring are Houde and Romanov. 

I really like the Kotkaniemi pick. As I said, I think Zadina was the smart choice, but Kotkaniemi was the gutsy one. Zadina is more likely to be a regular in the NHL and to meet expectations of what he is expected to be, but JK could really be something special and fill a much harder-to-fill hole of 1C.

I also really like Ylonen as a choice. He's a guy I wanted the Habs to go after, but I thought they could get him at 38 and maybe even if they had traded back up into the mid 40s. I thought they could have spent 35 better, with someone like McIssac, Woo, Thomas, etc.

Romanov is a reach. Again, even if you really like him, it's not like the Habs were sitting in a spot where they had to wait 31 picks for their next choice to come up. They had 3 more choices after 38 in the next 28 picks. Like with Ylonen, I felt like they could have made this pick one selection lower. This kid sounds like he's got some skill but just isn't as well-known to scouts, hence maybe why he isn't ranked as highly, but I wouldn't have spent 38 on him.

Olofsson is a decent choice as well. One of the few guys with good size and skating ability, but like a lot of the guys I find he lacks a bit of finish around the net. I worry he has a similar scouting assessment as De La Rose... good with the puck, good stride, big two-way center, but a little lacking finish-wise. And if he can't finish as a junior, not a lot of room for growth in the NHL.

Hillis, McShane, and Fonstad are again, all fine as choices. But again, all under 6 feet and despite decent skating ability, these are mainly puck distributors and not guys who can bury goals regularly. It's similar to what we have on our current NHL roster. Hudon, Lehkonen, Shaw, Danault, De La Rose, Scherbak, Drouin, and so on... all pretty good skaters, all have some amount of offensive skill, but they're yet to prove they can put the puck in the net on a regular basis. And so yes, you absolutely need to be able to skate to play in today's NHL. But you need to have a few guys who can finish too, and you can't have an entire roster of sub-6' players. I'm absolutely of the mindset that you can include small guys with wheels and skill. I think it's an asset to have your Hudon and your Mete and your Drouin and so on. But you also need to have some players who are 6'3 or 6'4 and can skate AND use their size. No matter how much heart Gallagher or Hudon have, they're simply not going to win a ton of puck battles against guys who are 30-40 lbs heavier.

Bottom line for me is that I like a lot of the guys the Habs got on an individual basis, but I think they tried to grab a specific type of player: guys who can skate and carry the puck, without any regard for size or for ability to snipe. I worry that the organization is feeling the need to find centers and over-reacted by drafting a lot of them, but didn't address the need for sniping wingers or top-notch defencemen. Guys like Bode Wilde and Jett Woo and Jared McIssac have some flaws in their games, but I think each would have been a better choice than Romanov at 35/38. Tychonick was there too, and Marchenko and Thomas and Durzi. Romanov, I think, would have been there in the late 50's or 60's to grab with one of our other picks.

The other thing to consider is that next year's draft is looking like it'll be top-heavy with talented offensive centers and wingers. Whereas this year's draft was loaded with great defencemen in the top 50, next year's draft is very forward-heavy. So I really feel like the Habs missed out on a chance to go after D men in round 2 and maybe save some of the needs up front for 2019.

17 hours ago, habsisme said:

everyone but 3 guys they drafted is under 6 feet tall

17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

My initial reaction was similar regarding size, but then again some of these are young players who may still grow and bulk up as they develop... have to wait and see...

so I like that we took a center, and i trust timmins , but I kinda feel like we might have just taken lars eller 3rd overall

I also feel like zadina is gonna be a bondra type player, 40 goal guy,and we are gonna regret passing on him

:s

11 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

so I like that we took a center, and i trust timmins , but I kinda feel like we might have just taken lars eller 3rd overall

I also feel like zadina is gonna be a bondra type player, 40 goal guy,and we are gonna regret passing on him

:s

I think Kotkaniemi is quite a lot better than that. Eller didn't score as much as Kotkaniemi in a men's league until his draft + 2 season when Eller was 20-21 years old. Kotkaniemi matched that scoring rate and played a top 6 role in the 4th best pro league in the world before he even turned 18. If we drafted another Lars Eller it's probably Olofsson at 56th in round 2. 

I agree on Zadina though, I think he's going to be a player. At least he didn't go to Ottawa or Arizona, it would have been painful to see Zadina on Galchenyuk's wing in Arizona :lol: