The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

The Draft

maas_art

3 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

I think Kotkaniemi is quite a lot better than that. Eller didn't score as much as Kotkaniemi in a men's league until his draft + 2 season when Eller was 20-21 years old. Kotkaniemi matched that scoring rate and played a top 6 role in the 4th best pro league in the world before he even turned 18. If we drafted another Lars Eller it's probably Olofsson at 56th in round 2. 

I agree on Zadina though, I think he's going to be a player. At least he didn't go to Ottawa or Arizona, it would have been painful to see Zadina on Galchenyuk's wing in Arizona :lol:

haha,sure, eller as far as I know didnt have an MVP dominating tournament performance like JK did to add to your point,  but my point was that his game isnt "prolific scorer" its "200 ft game with skill" which is what eller was/is. 

Imean if hes gonna be a kopitar or bergeron , phenomenal. But guys like that sometimes end up being eller or radek bonk. those are incidentally 2 of my fave habs ever lol....but yeah imjust scared we passed on an A player for a B

5 minutes ago, habsisme said:

What I know for sure is that Lars Eller won a Stanley Cup and was in no way just a passenger. He easily would have been our #1 C last year

Hed be our 1c right now absolutely. I love eller. Im still mega bitter we traded him. The comparison Im making is we might have gottten a really good 2 way center  who gets 30-50 pts at the expense of a 40 goal star winger who gets 80 pts

2 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

Hed be our 1c right now absolutely. I love eller. Im still mega bitter we traded him. The comparison Im making is we might have gottten a really good 2 way center  who gets 30-50 pts at the expense of a 40 goal star winger who gets 80 pts

Yeah I agree, but i have a feeling Zadina will flop... I just keep thinking of the Puljujarvi/Dubois draft. And I think it says something that 2 other teams passed on him... though, it was the 3 worst franchises back to back (including habs)

Time will tell, no one can know for sure

2 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Yeah I agree, but i have a feeling Zadina will flop... I just keep thinking of the Puljujarvi/Dubois draft. And I think it says something that 2 other teams passed on him... though, it was the 3 worst franchises back to back (including habs)

Time will tell, no one can know for sure

very possible. he fell to 6, i did NOT see that coming.  the scouts on these teams definitely watched these guys more than I did.

On 6/23/2018 at 6:18 PM, habsisme said:

see thats the thing... I like that about this draft but then why is Weber still here, why is Price... lets get the assets and hope for Hughes. If that were the I would even look at Domi trade in a different light, might not be the value I wanted but I'd get it. 

I hope Price bounces back because I don't think there is any hope of ever trading him if has another bad season... next CBA better have a buyout

Price and Weber are still here because the Habs need them to put butts in the seats to sell beer.

7 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I don't think so, I think a lot of fans would be more interested in a rebuild. At least we'd be in the right direction

I agree, I barely watched any games this year but I listened to a LOT of postgame call in on TSN, and it was pretty much unanimous that fans felt the teamwas crap and we should blow it up.

Thats why I scoff when the talking heads in the media say things like "fans wouldnt accept a rebuild" or apologize for bergevin in the same way. If you actually listen to the fans, we are knowledgable and the majority of us are clamouring for it.

14 hours ago, habsisme said:

I don't think so, I think a lot of fans would be more interested in a rebuild. At least we'd be in the right direction

I agree with you but I was stating what management was interested in, not the fans.

I know that most here were ok with picking Kotkaniemi with our 3OVA but for those that werent (and even those that were) this is a pretty interesting read.

There have been about 7 or 8 top players currently in the NHL who were selected from the same league as him, and shockingly, his numbers are as good - or better- than almost all of them.  At this stage he has "already shown that he’s one of the better prospects that the Liiga has ever produced."  Full article by Nathan Ni here.

kotkapoints.png

1 hour ago, xxdocxx said:

Love the pick. But it's a future pick for sure.  If Kotkaniemi was three months younger  he would possibly be a number one next year.

For sure.  

Its all the more reason why anyone over 28/29 on this team should be shopped.  By the time Kot is ready to play several of our vets will be well past their best before date.  Makes little sense to watch assets decline while we're in no position to win.  

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

For sure.  

Its all the more reason why anyone over 28/29 on this team should be shopped.  By the time Kot is ready to play several of our vets will be well past their best before date.  Makes little sense to watch assets decline while we're in no position to win.  

Realistically, JK comes over to the Habs in 2 years and needs 2 years to become a top 6 center. That means he's a factor to build around for a Cup run towards 2022. Poehling is maybe NHL bound in 2019-20 and ready to be a factor a year before JK. So who could be on your roster in 2022 if everything goes well? A framework would be something like

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Ylonen

Hudon-Poehling-Scherbak

Lehkonen-Danault-Bitten

Domi-Ikonen-Evans

Olofsson

Mete-Juulsen

XXX-Brook

Romanov-XXX

Fleury

Lindgren/McNiven/Primeau

Again, we have some good young forwards who could still be around then, albeit we're banking on a lot of players turning out. There are also some promising goalies. But the D is really really thin in terms of futures. It's imperative that the Habs start to turn the likes of Weber, Pacioretty, Price, Byron, Shaw, and even Gallagher and Petry into future assets who can be helpful in 4 years. I don't see any of those players being key core guys then. Maybe still decent supporting cast members, but they can't be overpaid guys if that's the case. I just don't see how a 31 or 32 year-old ROR is going to be an important factor with a cap hit of 7.5M.

38 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Realistically, JK comes over to the Habs in 2 years and needs 2 years to become a top 6 center. That means he's a factor to build around for a Cup run towards 2022. Poehling is maybe NHL bound in 2019-20 and ready to be a factor a year before JK. So who could be on your roster in 2022 if everything goes well? A framework would be something like

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Ylonen

Hudon-Poehling-Scherbak

Lehkonen-Danault-Bitten

Domi-Ikonen-Evans

Olofsson

Mete-Juulsen

XXX-Brook

Romanov-XXX

Fleury

Lindgren/McNiven/Primeau

Again, we have some good young forwards who could still be around then, albeit we're banking on a lot of players turning out. There are also some promising goalies. But the D is really really thin in terms of futures. It's imperative that the Habs start to turn the likes of Weber, Pacioretty, Price, Byron, Shaw, and even Gallagher and Petry into future assets who can be helpful in 4 years. I don't see any of those players being key core guys then. Maybe still decent supporting cast members, but they can't be overpaid guys if that's the case. I just don't see how a 31 or 32 year-old ROR is going to be an important factor with a cap hit of 7.5M.

I wouldn't call this team good in 2022.  That would be a mess

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2018 at 4:56 PM, BigTed3 said:

So who could be on your roster in 2022 if everything goes well? A framework would be something like

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Ylonen

Hudon-Poehling-Scherbak

Lehkonen-Danault-Bitten

Domi-Ikonen-Evans

Olofsson

I know you're just messing around with the roster at this point and probably 1/2 of these players wont be in our system by then, but I think there's a very good chance Domi is among our very best - i dont think he'll be a 4th liner at any stage.   I hate that we lost Galchenyuk - especially for a player who doesnt play a position we need (although I think we're going to try Max at centre) but I have seen a fair amount of Domi & I think people are going to be surprised how good he is.  As much as i like Hudon and Lehkohnen, i think only Drouin has legitimate chance at being better than MD.    Time wil tell i guess. 

Not sure if anyone knows this, but, TSN is showing the WHJ Showcase hockey. Some of our draft picks are supposed to be there but not including our #1 pick from this past draft. 

USA and Finland are playing now, and the Canada/Sweden game is tonight @  9 est.

Good chance to see our #1  2019 draft pick, Jack Hughes. :)

On 8/3/2018 at 5:52 PM, kinot-2 said:

Not sure if anyone knows this, but, TSN is showing the WHJ Showcase hockey. Some of our draft picks are supposed to be there but not including our #1 pick from this past draft. 

USA and Finland are playing now, and the Canada/Sweden game is tonight @  9 est.

Good chance to see our #1  2019 draft pick, Jack Hughes. :)

I watched a bit of Sweden vs. USA, Olofsson looked really good being matched up against Hughes. Hopefully they can end up playing together in Montreal instead!

2 hours ago, Noob616 said:

I watched a bit of Sweden vs. USA, Olofsson looked really good being matched up against Hughes. Hopefully they can end up playing together in Montreal instead!

I think Olofsson is going to be a sleeper pick.  He's projecting as  3rd line centre at worst but there's a decent chance he turns into a Plekanec with size - ie, Mikko Koivu type.  Id be all for that.