The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Will we trade Shea Weber before next season?

maas_art

Chances of us trading Shea Weber before next season...   

18 members have voted

1. 1. What are the chances we trade Shea Weber before next season?

• 0% He's a hab for life.
    • 1-24% Very unlikely. Maybe someone offers us a ridiculous offer & we bite.
    • 25-49% Somewhat unlikely but we will listen to offers.
    • 50-74% Pretty likely.
    • 75-99% We will be shopping him hard & as long as we can get a couple of good pieces back, we'll move him.
    • 100% He's gone for sure.

More and more articles lately have suggest we should trade Weber.  Many of us here have believed it was the right move for a year or more (or, really, that we should have never acquired him) but will MB listen?   

MB recently inferred that everyone was available except for Price and Mete, so does that mean he'd consider it?   

A good article here explains why trading Weber now could be a huge catalyst to our retool.   Does MB see it though?  

Normally id say that he wouldnt trade Weber because it would be admission that we made a mistake moving PK but if he can turn weber into multiple assets maybe he saves face. 

So, what do you think?  Will Shea Weber be moved? 

Will he be moved,, NO.

Should he be moved yes, while he is still usefull to a team, but the only way MB saves face is if he can swing a major deal involving a roster player (s), a prospect (s), and picks. The only way that happens is if there's a team out there who is all in for the next 2-3 years, and can afford him, with $$$ and bodies.

18 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Will he be moved,, NO.

Should he be moved yes, while he is still usefull to a team, but the only way MB saves face is if he can swing a major deal involving a roster player (s), a prospect (s), and picks. The only way that happens is if there's a team out there who is all in for the next 2-3 years, and can afford him, with $$$ and bodies.

Edmonton seems like the perfect partner though, and I think Weber to Edm. is probably the most likely chance he gets moved. 

I think either  Weber to Edmonton for RNH, Nurse + Pick  or Weber to Edmonton for Draitsatl  would be fair and good moves for both teams.  Edmonton is in trouble with the amount of $$$ they have allotted to their centres ($28m to 3 guys) and are in dire need of a calming top end talent on the blueline.   Weber would make them better immediately and stabilize either Nurse or Klefbom.   Chiarelli most likely salivates over the idea of adding man mountain to his roster.

We obviously benefit from getting out of his contract long-term but we can also turn one asset into several by moving him while he still has value. 

9 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think either  Weber to Edmonton for RNH, Nurse + Pick  or Weber to Edmonton for Draitsatl  would be fair and good moves for both teams. . 

We , IMHO, would need to give Edmonton more .  That would be a steal if Montreal could get that
RNH and Nurse 22 and 24 yrs of age for 32 yr old Shea Wber

Edmonton GM would eb crazy IMO to do that

26 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

We , IMHO, would need to give Edmonton more .  That would be a steal if Montreal could get that
RNH and Nurse 22 and 24 yrs of age for 32 yr old Shea Wber

Edmonton GM would eb crazy IMO to do that

Maybe.  But from Edmonton's standpoint, they massively need help in the blueline.  Back when we traded PK for Weber it made zero sense.  We were not contenders, we didnt have the rest of the team to warrant it but Edmonton does have the needs and the assets.  This would be a risky move either way but I think it would actually benefit Edmonton quite a bit for at least a couple of seasons.   

Plus, Chiarelli is pretty crazy so... 

25 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

He should be moved assuming we had a competent GM, so I guess he's staying put this year. Maybe next.

Yeah, part of me thinks if he is moved, it wont be till this summer, IF we get a new GM.  Weber is a good player but completely at odds with where this team is going & what is in the best interest going forward.  Moving him now is the only logical move. 

If we get a new GM this summer whose mandate is to rebuild, I dont see how we DONT trade him.  

If bargainbin gets to stay, he will never admit his mistake and trade the guy......then again I was certain he would never fire therrien. It may be that at some point it becomes him or you.....if he is mandated by molson to do a rebuild or hes fired, maybe he trades weber and gets to have the built in excuse that we are doing a youth movement 

I really hope we do trade him.....I genuinely and truly think his game is already nothing special, and his value is going to be in the absolute toilet in the very near future. not only does that screw us on a trade since his contract is so crazy to begin with, it also means we are stuck with this guy out there doing nothing for 8 million a year

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Edmonton seems like the perfect partner though, and I think Weber to Edm. is probably the most likely chance he gets moved. 

I think either  Weber to Edmonton for RNH, Nurse + Pick  or Weber to Edmonton for Draitsatl  would be fair and good moves for both teams.  Edmonton is in trouble with the amount of $$$ they have allotted to their centres ($28m to 3 guys) and are in dire need of a calming top end talent on the blueline.   Weber would make them better immediately and stabilize either Nurse or Klefbom.   Chiarelli most likely salivates over the idea of adding man mountain to his roster.

We obviously benefit from getting out of his contract long-term but we can also turn one asset into several by moving him while he still has value. 

Would absolutely love this deal - but I think Chiarelli would have to be a bigger fool than MB to do it.

Draisaitl was a monster in last year's playoffs, eye-test-wise (at least when I saw them) and stats-wise.

gp   g  a   p  +/-

13   6 10 16  8

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Will he be moved,, NO.

The only problem is Bergevin won't be smart enough to take you up on your suggestion.  

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

If we get a new GM this summer whose mandate is to rebuild, I dont see how we DONT trade him.  

If bargainbin gets to stay, he will never admit his mistake and trade the guy......then again I was certain he would never fire therrien. It may be that at some point it becomes him or you.....if he is mandated by molson to do a rebuild or hes fired, maybe he trades weber and gets to have the built in excuse that we are doing a youth movement 

I really hope we do trade him.....I genuinely and truly think his game is already nothing special, and his value is going to be in the absolute toilet in the very near future. not only does that screw us on a trade since his contract is so crazy to begin with, it also means we are stuck with this guy out there doing nothing for 8 million a year

I actually think that contract becomes more palatable in the next few years.The Cap hit stays, but the actual dollars paid start to drop drastically. He's gotten most of that money up front. He could be a good candidate to teams trying to reach the Cap floor going forward. He'll actually be good value for the next 4 to 5 years for somebody

All his bonuses are paid this season and he makes a more reasonable 6mill/year for the next 4.Toss a coin as to whether he actually plays in those last 3 for a million a year.

2012-13   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $13,000,000 $1,000,000 $14,000,000 $14,000,000
2013-14   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $13,000,000 $1,000,000 $14,000,000 $14,000,000
2014-15   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $13,000,000 $1,000,000 $14,000,000 $14,000,000
2015-16   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $13,000,000 $1,000,000 $14,000,000 $14,000,000
2016-17   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $8,000,000 $4,000,000 $12,000,000 $12,000,000
2017-18   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $8,000,000 $4,000,000 $12,000,000 $12,000,000
2018-19   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $0 $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $6,000,000
2019-20   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $0 $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $6,000,000
2020-21   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $0 $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $6,000,000
2021-22   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $0 $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $6,000,000
2022-23   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $0 $3,000,000 $3,000,000 $3,000,000
2023-24   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $0 $1,000,000 $1,000,000 $1,000,000
2024-25   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $0 $1,000,000 $1,000,000 $1,000,000
2025-26   $7,857,143 $7,857,143 $0 $0 $1,000,000 $1,000,000 $1,000,000

As long as MB is GM, very unlikely. Bergevin has, at times, shown himself to be quite stubborn. I doubt he'll trade away the only piece he received in the Subban deal. I'd say it's more likely we'll see Pacioretty moved than Weber. MB inherited Pacioretty, and trading him away will reflect less poorly on MB's "judgement." Or... in his eyes it will.

Very little chance of it happening under MB, but if he's fired it becomes a lot more likely. I think the issues with Weber's contract are really overblown, the cap recapture would be Nashville's problem, not Montreal or the team that trades for him. The contract isn't as bad as it sounds either, he's paid 12M this year, and then the actual salary drops to 6M for the next 4 years, and 3M for the year after. After that the final 3 years of the contract are all 1M and he's not playing for 1M at age 38-40. Weber for 5 years and only 27 million of actual dollars is a highly attractive and valuable asset.

16 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Very little chance of it happening under MB, but if he's fired it becomes a lot more likely. I think the issues with Weber's contract are really overblown, the cap recapture would be Nashville's problem, not Montreal or the team that trades for him. The contract isn't as bad as it sounds either, he's paid 12M this year, and then the actual salary drops to 6M for the next 4 years, and 3M for the year after. After that the final 3 years of the contract are all 1M and he's not playing for 1M at age 38-40. Weber for 5 years and only 27 million of actual dollars is a highly attractive and valuable asset.

I agree.  IMHO the people who think we'd get nothing for him are severely misjudging his perceived value in the league.  Look at the contract Marleau just got. Weber falls into that mystical class of players who never seem to lose value in GM's eyes.  Sure, some smarter GMs may see through it but he would be highly desirable to at least 1/2 the GMs out there.  Now, not all of them could offer us what we need, and many couldnt afford his cap hit, but I think there's easily 3 - 5 teams who would give very very good offers for him.

The problem, as many of us have mentioned above, is MB.  Unless he can get a slam-dunk:  A package that would have been above market value for what PK was even worth - I dont see him doing it. Which is sort of silly.  Sure, our defense will look worse without Weber but its not like we're competing right now and the return on Weber would be enough to start a very strong retool. 

27 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Weber+Pacioretty+Byron for Klefbom+Puljujarvi+Draisaitl?

I mean, heck yes. But I just don't know why Edmonton would do that. I can see them reaching out for one of Pacioretty or Weber but it seems like a lot of risk to take on to have to pay Weber and re-up Pacioretty at 7M a year-ish. Rumor is that Chiarellii is being very careful after the lambasting he took for the Eberle and Hall trades.

59 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Weber+Pacioretty+Byron for Klefbom+Puljujarvi+Draisaitl?

30 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I mean, heck yes. But I just don't know why Edmonton would do that. I can see them reaching out for one of Pacioretty or Weber but it seems like a lot of risk to take on to have to pay Weber and re-up Pacioretty at 7M a year-ish. Rumor is that Chiarellii is being very careful after the lambasting he took for the Eberle and Hall trades.

Agreed.  I think if Chiarelli and MB even entertained buying and selling Weber, respectively, the cost would either be a package that includes RNH + Nurse +   or a 1 for 1 for Draisaitl.  I cant see us getting Draisaitl +   for just weber and i cant see Edmonton wanting both SW and MP.  

Chances are it will all be for naught but it is nice to dream.  We've got a solid asset in Weber that will most likely decline by the year & we need to strongly consider moving him ASAP before that happens. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

.  I think if Chiarelli and MB even entertained buying and selling Weber, respectively, the cost would either be a package that includes RNH + Nurse +   or a 1 for 1 for Draisaitl.  I cant see us getting Draisaitl +   for just weber and i cant see Edmonton wanting both SW and MP.   

I cannot envision Edmonton trading that package for Weber . Chiarelli should be fired if he did that deal.

MB traded a 27 yr old PK for 30 yr old Weber straight up and it was a bad trade for Montreal

Now we're suggesting 33 yr old Weber for 22 yr old Nurse + 24 yr old RNH + ..........an older Weber for 2 players younger than the guy he was originally traded for

If MB can make it happen do it

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

I cannot envision Edmonton trading that package for Weber . Chiarelli should be fired if he did that deal.

MB traded a 27 yr old PK for 30 yr old Weber straight up and it was a bad trade for Montreal

Now we're suggesting 33 yr old Weber for 22 yr old Nurse + 24 yr old RNH + ..........an older Weber for 2 players younger than the guy he was originally traded for

If MB can make it happen do it

Right, but look at some of his other deals.  Hall for Larson.  Strome for Eberle.  He signed Lucy to that ridiculous contract.  He's a bad Gm. Maybe worse than MB.  Someone needs to take advantage of that while he's still employed there :) lol.

Seriously though - when the Subban trade happened, most of us said "this is a horrible deal."  Ive been a big Weber fan for years but I was flabbergasted and felt certain we were missing something (like a top prospect was coming back with Weber) but yet over 1/2 the GMs polled said we won the deal.  Poile himself said it took him several days to decide if he would accept MB's request for Weber.  

The other thing to consider is need. When Dallas traded away generational scoring talent  Jerome Iginla for 30 year old Joe Nieuwendyk they knew it was a huge risk.  I was living in Calgary at the time & it was no secret at all what the flames had acquired: probably the best prospect not in the NHL.  But the stars didnt need Iginla. They needed a Joe Niewendyk. And they won the cup. 

If Edmonton trades RNH they still have McDavid, Draisatl & Strome which is arguably the best 1-2-3 centre depth in the league.  They can afford to move RNH and they can afford to move Nurse (or Klefbom) if it means bringing in a stabilizing force like Weber.  Their defense would be immediately better.

The only question would be how long Chiarelli thinks Weber would be good but i think the "man mountain mystique" will serve us well if MB was smart enough to actually try to trade him.