The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Charlie Lindgren re-signed for 3 years: who will back-up Price next year?

BigTed3

Lindgren signed an extension for 3 years at 750k per season (a pretty good deal), but it's a one-way contract this time, and I believe he may need to clear waivers as of next year. There were rumors the Habs were happy with Niemi and wanted to offer him an extension too. So is it automatic that Lindgren is the back-up next year or does Niemi have a shot?

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Lindgren signed an extension for 3 years at 750k per season (a pretty good deal), but it's a one-way contract this time, and I believe he may need to clear waivers as of next year. There were rumors the Habs were happy with Niemi and wanted to offer him an extension too. So is it automatic that Lindgren is the back-up next year or does Niemi have a shot?

Option 3:

Neimi-Lindgren

They trade Price. 

Probably Price-Lindgren. I think I remember during his interview with Bob McKenzie in September MB said they intend Price to play 50-55 games a year during his contract, and if you're going to commit to having a backup play 25-30 games like that it simply can't be a bargain bin waiver pickup in his mid 30s who could fall off a cliff any time.

I'm honestly quite surprised they got Lindgren to sign for 3 years at that price. He could have just taken the Habs to arbitration this year and gone anywhere as a UFA the following year, but maybe he figures he'd be better suited to play and learn from Price for 3 years and go UFA at age 27. 

4 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

I'm honestly quite surprised they got Lindgren to sign for 3 years at that price. 

Me too.  I think you're right about the Price thing.  being able to work with Price (and Waite) is probably going to pay long-term dividends in his career, so well worth the patience.  

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Me too.  I think you're right about the Price thing.  being able to work with Price (and Waite) is probably going to pay long-term dividends in his career, so well worth the patience.  

Like I'm not surprised they got him to sign for 3 years but I figured the number would be at least 1.5M for a 3 year deal. 

But yeah you're right, he could very well have gone to arbitration then got ~2M as a UFA somewhere but you've got to think playing 30-35 games a year behind Price for 3 years makes the odds of getting a Raanta/Darling/Andersen type contract more likely.

EDIT: Also could very well have expansion draft implications. If Seattle gets a draft in 3 offseasons they'd be able to take Lindgren and test drive a potential starting goalie in his prime for 750k.

We all think highly of Lindgren because he's technically pretty sound and has done well for us, but he's still only got 10-12 games of NHL experience. So perhaps we're overrating him to some degree. I believe he's going to be a good NHLer, maybe a back-up, maybe a starter, but we're still basing that on conjecture. So I guess Lindgren got paid based on what he's done so far, and we have Lefebvre to thank for bringing his value down!