The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs trade Jerabek to Caps for 5th-round pick

jwlk

27 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Happy for him, disappointed it ended this way. Jerabek was exactly what the Habs needed more of on defense, and while he didn't look like the top 4 guy we hoped for I still rate him higher than Morrow, Schlemko, and possibly Benn. 

The way those 3 have played this year we'd be lucky to get a 7th for all of them together. Toss Alzner into that conversation too.  Jerabek was likely the best of the bunch and probably the only one movable. 

1 hour ago, Noob616 said:

I still rate him higher than Morrow, Schlemko, and possibly Benn. 

agree on morrow & schlemko for sure. And unlike those two - and Benn (who i think has been a bit better) and Alzner (who has been better but nowhere near his contract) Jerabek actually had the potential to get better.

Who knows. Maybe Jerabek asked to be traded knowing he's an UFA this summer and wanting the chance to play in the playoffs.

lets hope there are plenty more deals to follow soon. 

Jerabek isn't a fantastic player, he's ideally a #5-6-7 guy. The return is as expected, and I actually posted yesterday that his value is probably something like a 4th or 5th round pick. What's odd is that the Habs traded him without giving him a shot and traded him when he's probably better than half the guys they're actually icing. I think this once again sets a bad precedent for Marc Bergevin though. He did this with Jiri Sekac, a sought-after free agent whom he won the sweepstakes for, then didn't give him much of a real chance, and dumped him in short order. Seems to be a similar story for Jerabek. It would be one thing if the Habs had 6 legit NHL defencemen, but they don't, they have maybe 2 or 3. So to play journeymen like Schlemko and Morrow over a guy like Jerabek, who might theoretically improve as he adjusted, doesn't make a lot of sense. I wonder if this affects other UFA's trying to break into the NHL out of Europe or college (or maybe a Jake Evans for example), who see the Habs not really give much of a shot to underdogs like this and decide they'd rather choose a different organization.

The more I think about this the more I actually get a bit frustrated with it. Why do we still have Morrow and Schlemko but not Davidson and Jerabek. Bringing in Morrow, Streit, and Schlemko (and Hemsky) was good, low-risk and potentially medium-reward. The problem is bringing them in and keeping them over Jerabek and Davidson. Instead of making small little low cost moves that modestly improve the team they continually make small little low to medium cost moves that make the team marginally worse.

These things aren't huge issues and depth defensemen don't make your team sink or swim but these kinds of decisions all add up. Each individual move is whatever but the aggregate effect of having Martinsen, Schelmko, Nesterov, Morrow, Deslauriers, Alzner, and Froese in the lineup instead of Andrighetto, Barberio, Jerabek, Davidson, Beaulieu, Scherbak, and Carr is not trivial over the course of an entire season, or even (if we ever get there again) over a 7 game playoff series. Instead of 7 players that are OK and slightly move the needle in the positive direction, we have 7 players that are all slightly less than OK and have slightly negative shot impacts. 

Andrighetto for Martinsen. Assets for Ott and King who aren't even NHLers anymore. Eller for Shaw. Nesterov for a 6th. Smith-Pelley for Matteau. Tinordi for John Scott. These things all add up, in isolation each move isn't a big deal either way but it seems like every one of these moves we've lost a little bit of value. Eventually the thousand and first cut is what kills you.

38 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

These things aren't huge issues and depth defensemen don't make your team sink or swim but these kinds of decisions all add up. Each individual move is whatever but the aggregate effect of having Martinsen, Schelmko, Nesterov, Morrow, Deslauriers, Alzner, and Froese in the lineup instead of Andrighetto, Barberio, Jerabek, Davidson, Beaulieu, Scherbak, and Carr is not trivial over the course of an entire season, or even (if we ever get there again) over a 7 game playoff series. Instead of 7 players that are OK and slightly move the needle in the positive direction, we have 7 players that are all slightly less than OK and have slightly negative shot impacts. 

Totally.

And the problem is, while all this happens, we still are missing a #1LHD, a #1C and a #2C  

All the tinkering in the world wont help that, especially when, in nearly every case, we're losing skill with those tinkers. 

^^ And people laud MB for finding a Paul Byron or Nicolas Deslauriers, but he's swinging for these role players over and over. By the law of averages, a couple will end up playing well for you. When you look at the number of failures, though, particularly over the past two years, Bergevin's record as a GM is abysmal. He's given up more than he's gotten back, and he's still failed to address the team's biggest needs, in addition to making us older, slower, and less skilled. The Jerabek move, while retaining the likes of Benn, Schlemko, Alzner, and Morrow, simply reinforces the notion that the man has no idea how to build a winning hockey team. The trade itself is whatever, but the management ideology behind it is scarily bad.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ And people laud MB for finding a Paul Byron or Nicolas Deslauriers, but he's swinging for these role players over and over. By the law of averages, a couple will end up playing well for you. When you look at the number of failures, though, particularly over the past two years, Bergevin's record as a GM is abysmal. He's given up more than he's gotten back, and he's still failed to address the team's biggest needs, in addition to making us older, slower, and less skilled. The Jerabek move, while retaining the likes of Benn, Schlemko, Alzner, and Morrow, simply reinforces the notion that the man has no idea how to build a winning hockey team. The trade itself is whatever, but the management ideology behind it is scarily bad.

Yeah but he's managed to save close to 10 mill in Cap space. Isn't that what good GM's on a budget do? Oh wait,,,, :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, CzechHab said:

Good for him...and for the tank :)...Dahlin will replace him pretty well :D

We'll end up trading Dahlin for and under-achieving Francophone poster boy, or a much slower and older right-handed shot.  Just to recap, all Bergevin received in return for: Subban, Sergeychev, Markov, Beaulieu and Emelin COMBINED: Shea Weber. Jonathan Drouin and a 3rd rond pick (BUF, 68th OVA, 2017, Scott Walford).  We traded away/walked away from a top 6 for 3 assets.  None of which are contributing to our success.

Makes perfect sense to trade Jerabek for a 5th rounder after 25 NHL games, I mean we clearly know what he's capable of given the huge sample size and there are plenty of really good LHD on the team anyway. I'm sure we'll draft a great player in 2019, our defense is just too strong right now so unfortunately there was no room for him :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Makes perfect sense to trade Jerabek for a 5th rounder after 25 NHL games, I mean we clearly know what he's capable of given the huge sample size and there are plenty of really good LHD on the team anyway. I'm sure we'll draft a great player in 2019, our defense is just too strong right now so unfortunately there was no room for him :rolleyes:

:4224:

I would have preferred to keep Jerabek and let Schlemko go but he is a UFA and maybe turned down an offer. Can't believe I am saying this but I  would keep Alzner over Benn at this point as he seems to have started to play better. I think Morrow has a shot at being a 3 or 4 if he can stay smart and stay confident and like what I see out of Petry. The progress of Juulson and Mete has also been good to see .Lets hope Juulson has another solid game tonight.

5 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

I would have preferred to keep Jerabek and let Schlemko go but he is a UFA and maybe turned down an offer. Can't believe I am saying this but I  would keep Alzner over Benn at this point as he seems to have started to play better. I think Morrow has a shot at being a 3 or 4 if he can stay smart and stay confident and like what I see out of Petry. The progress of Juulson and Mete has also been good to see .Lets hope Juulson has another solid game tonight.

Schlemko is the worst of the lot. I agree that Alzner's play has improved, albeit he is still not worthy of the amount and term on his contract. If Benn and Alzner had the same contract (1.1M for a year more), I could buy the argument for one over the other. But with their respective deals, Benn is the more valuable asset. I doubt anyone takes Alzner on that contract, but you never know...

Morrow is awful. He's got a decent shot, but he can't play defence at an NHL level, and that pretty much makes him useless. He's an AHL-level player IMO, not even good enough to be a #7 because of his deficiencies.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Schlemko is the worst of the lot. I agree that Alzner's play has improved, albeit he is still not worthy of the amount and term on his contract. If Benn and Alzner had the same contract (1.1M for a year more), I could buy the argument for one over the other. But with their respective deals, Benn is the more valuable asset. I doubt anyone takes Alzner on that contract, but you never know...

Morrow is awful. He's got a decent shot, but he can't play defence at an NHL level, and that pretty much makes him useless. He's an AHL-level player IMO, not even good enough to be a #7 because of his deficiencies.

I definitely agree that the defense has been quite bad at times (more often than not). Alzner has improved only slightly and is, I agree, not worth it. Schlemko has been the biggest disappointment overall IMHO. I could stomach Benn if there was nobody better to consider, but that is all. Morrow is still quite young and does show flashes of potential/talent/mobility, the way I see it, and under the right circumstances may improve with more time. Coaching remains an issue in all of this too, I believe.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The money Alzner is getting is definitely insane and I was speaking strictly from performance. Some like Morrow seem to have the skill but like a few others on this team do not appear to have much of the cognitive skills to make them good players. I had pretty much written off Morrow but he appears to be getting it although slowly. Jerabek had the skills and the smarts to play in my mind, but perhaps that is why we lost him. Bergevin may have offered some others and Washington made the right choice if that's how trade worked. Bergevin needs to be wary of free agents that are not being resigned off top teams, Alzner and Schlemko are clear examples of guys who were either overrated or were asking too much. Juulson and Mete on the other hand may make this fiasco disappear soon enough. I look forward to watching them tonight.

I'm not the world's biggest Weber fan (at his current age and contract and for the fact we gave up a much better player to get him), but he's a good defenceman. If we had a real #1 guy, he'd be a great #2. As it stands, he's a second-tier #1 guy. That said, you have Weber, Petry, and Mete going forward, and hopefully now maybe Juulsen who can be that third guy down the right side of your defence. So

XXX - Weber

Mete-Petry

XXX- Juulsen

with Benn or Lernout as your #7. The problem is that to make Weber work there, you really need a top pairing lefty who can skate and move the puck well. But find that guy and the D can be turned around.