The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Pleks Traded to Toronto.

kinot-2

4 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I think a second for Pleks is a good move... well best we can get. 

Rychel is an improvement over the kid we gave up but thats basically an AHL move. We also got Valiev? Former 3rd round pick, shoots left, could be an NHLer maybe?

I can't complain about this move

Pretty much Pleks for a 2nd. Not too shabby. :)

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I think a second for Pleks is a good move... well best we can get. 

Rychel is an improvement over the kid we gave up but thats basically an AHL move. We also got Valiev? Former 3rd round pick, shoots left, could be an NHLer maybe?

I can't complain about this move

agreed. A second by itself is decent for Pleks so having extras is really nice.

Rychel is a tough call because he's former 1st rounder and is still pretty young. Wonder if he was a guy TImmins & co wanted originally & they think they can make him into a better player.

Valiev is definitely the most intruiging part.  He's easily one of our top 2 or 3 defensive prospects now, so that alone is good. 

Just now, kinot-2 said:

Pretty much Pleks for a 2nd. 

not at all. Rychel will probably not become an NHL regular but nether would Baun most likely. 

Valiev on the other hand probably slots in behind Mete and Juulsen on our young defensive depth chart.  That defintely a nice add in. 

Just now, maas_art said:

Rychel is a tough call because he's former 1st rounder and is still pretty young. Wonder if he was a guy TImmins & co wanted originally & they think they can make him into a better player.

Valiev is definitely the most intruiging part.  He's easily one of our top 2 or 3 defensive prospects now, so that alone is good. 

agree completely, especially on Valiev being the intriguing part. Its a solid move. I think we all hate MB these days but a trade like this is easier to make and at least he didn't screw it up. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

not at all. Rychel will probably not become an NHL regular but nether would Baun most likely. 

Valiev on the other hand probably slots in behind Mete and Juulsen on our young defensive depth chart.  That defintely a nice add in. 

I'll have to wait and see how SL "develops" him, after all, if SL can ruin 2 1st rounders (MaCarron and Tinordi) what's top stop him from ruining Valiev? 

Here are some evaluations of Valiev:

http://faceoffcircle.ca/2017/09/30/2017-leafs-top-prospects-22-rinat-valiev/

https://dobberprospects.com/rinat-valiev/

Sounds like he projects as a possible 3rd pairing defenceman. Steady, decent possession player but with very little offensive upside. I'm not sold on him adding much to our organization more than depth.

Kerby Rychel was at one point a decent prospect who seems to have fallen off the development track, but he was a guy the Habs were interested in during his draft year. I actually think he's a better pick-up than Valiev. Whereas Valiev may have a better chance at cracking the NHL line-up as a regular, but I would hope that Rychel can find his game again, and his upside is higher than Valiev's. So maybe akin to a guy like Scherbak taking some time to find his game, maybe Rychel can become a top 6-9 guy if given the right circumstances.

I would have liked to see the Habs be more aggressive trying to get a better prospect out of the trade (I'd have rather seen one better prospect than two B level prospects), but it is what it is. A 2nd rounder plus is about what the market was for Plekanec. MB didn't make a steal of a trade because he didn't get the 1st rounder nor the top-notch prospect here, but he didn't fail either. Okay trade, with the potential to be better, if the Leafs falter and their 2nd rounder is mid-round as opposed to late round.

40 minutes ago, maas_art said:

:4224::4224:If he's not that great now just wait until we get finished with him!

Eric Engels reports that the Habs had "an equivalent offer" from the Jets but that Plekanec wanted to stay in the East and that MB obliged that request. Makes you wonder who the prospect(s) the Jets were going to send back were... but in any case, doubt we were getting a Roslovski or Petan if the prospect was equivalent to Rychel, so we may as well have done Plekanec the solid of staying in the East in a year when it doesn't affect us. Would also hope the Leafs 2nd rounder will be better than the Jets 2nd rounder, so that might help too.

And according to Eric Engels, Plekanec and MB have had discussions about a contract extension, and he says the framework is there for Plekanec to return to Mtl next season. When asked about whether he would come back for his 1000th game (he could max out at 999 this year), Plekanec responded that it would be special to return to Mtl to play that. So sounds like there might be interest in both sides for him to return.

14 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

And according to Eric Engels, Plekanec and MB have had discussions about a contract extension, and he says the framework is there for Plekanec to return to Mtl next season. When asked about whether he would come back for his 1000th game (he could max out at 999 this year), Plekanec responded that it would be special to return to Mtl to play that. So sounds like there might be interest in both sides for him to return.

I wouldn't mind having Tomas back in Montreal. It was important to get that 2nd round draft choice now, but I hope he does return next season. I don't expect our problems down the middle to be solved by training camp and Tomas could certainly help in a bottom-six capacity.

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I wouldn't mind having Tomas back in Montreal. It was important to get that 2nd round draft choice now, but I hope he does return next season. I don't expect our problems down the middle to be solved by training camp and Tomas could certainly help in a bottom-six capacity.

Yeah im fine with him back under 2 conditions:

1) its a short term deal (1 year at $2m or less, or 2 years at $1.25 m or so per). 

2) we get a couple of bonefide top 2 centres (or 1 and AG/JD plays #2C).   That gives us:  New #1C - New #2C (Or JD/AG) - Danault - Plekanec.    I do not want plekanec back if we're going to be using him in our top 6 again. 

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

He's fine as a 3rd/4th line center. The problem I have is that Philip Danault is a better 3rd line center. Neither guy can or should be playing in the top 6. So if they re-sign Plekanec, they have to be doing it to use Danault and Plekanec as their bottom 2 centers. Danault will get a raise, so to make that work, they'd have to be paying Plekanec at most 1.5-1.8M to justify using him as a 4C. I don't see that as a fit. I'm concerned that MB will give him 3-4M a year and then use Danault in the top 6 as they did this year, so it means that if we're bringing back Plekanec, we're status quo and we're not addressing our needs at center.