Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: The Next GM


BigTed3
 Share

Who should be the next GM?  

31 members have voted

  1. 1. Who should be the next GM?



Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Graeme-1 said:

I have this old vacuum claner that's broken. Maybe that could be general manager?

 

 

(http://www.theofficequotes.com/season-3/the-coup)

That would be the only thing in the habs' ownership/management team that doesn't suck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

The Habs blew it when they did not get Jim Nill. I know they tried, but it did not happen. Maybe now???

I thought so at the time, but he hasn't exactly done much in Dallas. 

If we're to move on from Bergevin at some point, I still think it's Brisebois's job to lose, if he doesn't get hired somewhere else first. Tampa's success is helping his case.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

I thought so at the time, but he hasn't exactly done much in Dallas. 

If we're to move on from Bergevin at some point, I still think it's Brisebois's job to lose, if he doesn't get hired somewhere else first. Tampa's success is helping his case.

 

 

 

I wish we could just move away from the whole Francophone thing and the politics of what ties this team down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

I wish we could just move away from the whole Francophone thing and the politics of what ties this team down. 

No chance.  Ownership has made its choice.  There'll always be people willing to pay high prices for a poor product, which is the dream scenario for any business.  No stress, profits keep increasing and no need to be accountable.  Just keep selling nostalgia, lights n sound ceremonies and decades-old memories.  ;)  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2018 at 11:18 PM, PuckPundit said:

No chance.  Ownership has made its choice.  There'll always be people willing to pay high prices for a poor product, which is the dream scenario for any business.  No stress, profits keep increasing and no need to be accountable.  Just keep selling nostalgia, lights n sound ceremonies and decades-old memories.  ;)  

I don't disagree with anything you've said, since that's exactly the situation that we're in today.  But at some point they're not going to have any choice but to move on from the nostalgia.  I'm in my mid-30s, and the only cup-winner I can remember is '93 (and I was only a kid, so it's not like I even got to enjoy the full extent of what was going on).  All of this pomp and circumstance already rings a bit hollow for me, but at least I knew about some of the older players and seasons from my father.

But fans younger than me have never seen a winning team.  Today's teenagers (and all their disposable income) don't even have parents who have seen a great Habs roster.  And even for the fans who are old enough to remember the good old days, I'm sure that there's a decent percentage that are feeling disillusioned enough with the direction we're going that they're not going to be rushing out to buy any more merchandise.

It's like the Leafs putting on a bunch of pageantry for their wins in the 60s - it gets to a point where it seems more sad than celebratory.  And right now, the Habs are at a quarter century and counting...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

I don't disagree with anything you've said, since that's exactly the situation that we're in today.  But at some point they're not going to have any choice but to move on from the nostalgia.  I'm in my mid-30s, and the only cup-winner I can remember is '93 (and I was only a kid, so it's not like I even got to enjoy the full extent of what was going on).  All of this pomp and circumstance already rings a bit hollow for me, but at least I knew about some of the older players and seasons from my father.

But fans younger than me have never seen a winning team.  Today's teenagers (and all their disposable income) don't even have parents who have seen a great Habs roster.  And even for the fans who are old enough to remember the good old days, I'm sure that there's a decent percentage that are feeling disillusioned enough with the direction we're going that they're not going to be rushing out to buy any more merchandise.

It's like the Leafs putting on a bunch of pageantry for their wins in the 60s - it gets to a point where it seems more sad than celebratory.  And right now, the Habs are at a quarter century and counting...

Agreed entirely. I, too, am in my mid-30s and I can barely remember the 93 win. I find all the pomp and celebration around "history" is actually kind of annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

If I were GM, I would see if Toronto would do:

To MTL: Jake Gardiner, Frederick Gauthier, TOR 1st , 2018

To TOR: Shea Weber

The 1st rounder will be a low 1st rounder. I don't see Gardiner as filling a need for us for a top pairing D man, and I don't have much interest in acquiring Gauthier. I think we could get more for Weber.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

If I were GM, I would see if Toronto would do:

To MTL: Jake Gardiner, Frederick Gauthier, TOR 1st , 2018

To TOR: Shea Weber

Honestly, I'd much rather keep Weber. Gardiner is ok but nowhere near Weber in terms of value, while Gauthier looks like McCarron 2.0. No need to do the Leafs any favors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Honestly, I'd much rather keep Weber. Gardiner is ok but nowhere near Weber in terms of value, while Gauthier looks like McCarron 2.0. No need to do the Leafs any favors.

Jake Gardner is over-rated and was by far the weakest defensive link in the series vs. the Bruins. If we were talking Morgan Reilly I may be interested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Jake Gardner is over-rated and was by far the weakest defensive link in the series vs. the Bruins. If we were talking Morgan Reilly I may be interested.

I believe Jake Gardiner could have a better rebound year than Carey Price and Shea Weber combined.  I don't think Morgan Reilly is even in any trade conversation nor is Liligren.  On a rebuilding team with multiple holes to fill, Jake Gardiner is an asset that if all else fails, you move him at the deadline in '19 for more futures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The 1st rounder will be a low 1st rounder. I don't see Gardiner as filling a need for us for a top pairing D man, and I don't have much interest in acquiring Gauthier. I think we could get more for Weber.

 

9 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Honestly, I'd much rather keep Weber. Gardiner is ok but nowhere near Weber in terms of value, while Gauthier looks like McCarron 2.0. No need to do the Leafs any favors.

Agreed.

If Toronto really wants Weber i think they would need to trade from a position of strength (forward).  I think you'd be more likely to do a deal like Weber for Nylander +/- a prospect / pick.   Im not sure they'd go for it but it would definitely be a smart move from our end.  It would, of course, signal the rebuild.    Petry + a bunch of kids is not the kind of blueline you can win with unless we're then flipping other players for blueliners.

 

If we're legit looking at making a move like this now is the time to do it, while the wounds are still fresh.  Im sure if you asked Babcock if he thought they would have beaten the B's with Weber on that roster he'd say 'definitely.'    Although I suppose the smart move would be to wait until sunday at least.  See if we win that lottery ;) Plus, while trades are totally legal amongst non-playing teams now, I dont see Lou Lamoriello being the kind of guy who would make one until after the postseason is done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

I wonder what Bergevin will do with the number 3 pick? I hope he doesn't bungle this one. The stakes are too high now.

Even if he doesn't, he'll either trade it for more grit and character or find an excuse to trade him.  Or maybe both.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2018 at 11:03 PM, Habs=stanleycup said:

I wish we could just move away from the whole Francophone thing and the politics of what ties this team down. 

In my mind, hiring Brisebois would be the best choice regardless of the Francophone thing.  He's built 2 different farm systems into Calder Cup Champions as assistant GM for both the Habs and the Bolts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lamourillo is rumoured to be heading to the Isles since being re-assigned by the Leafs in an attempt to keep Tavares. Perhaps Molson can make that move to attract him. I don't think Bergy is a strong selling point for a player trying to find a winner even if he is friends with his agent. The Tavares pendulum continues to swing and may hinge upon a good GM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 9:53 PM, Habberwacky said:

Lamourillo is rumoured to be heading to the Isles since being re-assigned by the Leafs in an attempt to keep Tavares. Perhaps Molson can make that move to attract him. I don't think Bergy is a strong selling point for a player trying to find a winner even if he is friends with his agent. The Tavares pendulum continues to swing and may hinge upon a good GM.

What about Mark Hunter?  He just left the Leafs, we could use a guy like Mark Hunter.  I hope his french is good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

What about Mark Hunter?  He just left the Leafs, we could use a guy like Mark Hunter.  I hope his french is good.

It's all up to Molson but Mr. car salesman Bergevin still has his ear.

Heck if Molson would have been smart and pro-active, he should have fired Bergevin immediately and replaced him with Lou Lamoriello before he was snagged by the Islanders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...