The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

An honest assessment of the Habs from a lifelong fan

First off, I want to say that the fans of the Montreal Canadiens are the most passionate, knowledgeable fans in any sport. The opportunity to interact with you on this forum has been priceless to me. For that, I thank you for the several years I have enjoyed Montreal Canadiens hockey with you. I will always be a Canadiens fan no matter what.

I 've said many times on this forum that I've been a Canadiens fan since I was a boy. I grew up enjoying the exploits of the Habs and the great teams they've had over the years. Meeting and talking to Maurice Richard at two different sports collectors shows are the greatest days two days of my life. And along the way, I got to meet Jean Beliveau and Henri Richard when they came with Maurice. And hearing Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull talk about Richard to me was the chance of a lifetime. And to have the opportunity to take my large, autographed photo of Maurice and Henri Richard to the Detroit taping of the legendary PBS series Antiques Roadshow was a privilege I will remember for the rest of my life.

In my new home at Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia, where I'm in grad school in the Masters In Journalism program, I have made every attempt to introduce Maurice Richard and the great Canadiens teams of yesteryear to the students and teachers. I even did a presentation in one of my classes about parasocial interaction - the interaction between fans and celebrities. Richard was the balance wheel that the presentation was made. I wish I could post it here so everybody could see it, as I got an A on the project. All of you would really love it. And believe it or not, I found some scholarly research on Richard and the Richard phenomenon. Of course, I used other situations as well. And I was thrilled when one of my former professors back in Michigan saw it, got back to me, and saw that I used some research from her. She was very appreciative. I let her borrow my DVD of Maurice Richard and The Sweater when I was in her class.

It has been an honor to be a fan of a sports franchise that has had a long, winning tradition and which has produced some of the greatest athletes I've ever met or witnessed in any sport.

Now for the hard part. For the first time ever, I stopped following the Canadiens so much. This is the most difficult admission I've ever had to make as a longtime Habs fan. After seeing one of their games and listening to a few others, I knew right then and there that this organization was in deep trouble. I have lurked in this forum from time to time to see what the fans were saying. I'm very disappointed with what has happened to a once-proud franchise. I have never seen anything like it. Is it too late for them to get it right again? No. It's never too late. But the quality of hockey I witnessed or listened to, even if it was for a few games, was very bad, the worst I've ever seen. As I said, I will always be a Canadiens fan. But some serious changes have to be made from the top on down. And unless those moves are made, I don't see much of a future for them in the short term.

It's very sad to me that a once-proud franchise has been reduced to this. And this is one of the hardest things I've ever had to say as a lifelong fan. I know many of you feel the same way. I've seen the posts. And I want you to know I'm behind you completely in your frustration. Remembering all those championship teams and seeing them now is enough to make me very upset. I've always believed a healthy Canadiens franchise meant a healthy National Hockey League. And seeing things the way they are now, I will have to agree with those who share the same feelings I do.

I hope the moderators understand my frustration, and the frustration many of you have shown. But sometimes things like this need to be said, for the love of the fanbase and a once-proud organization. If I have broken a few rules of conduct on this forum, I apologize. I have tried to address this very difficult situation with as much class and fairness as I can. I fondly hope for a return to glory for the Canadiens and the many fans who follow them. The fans, I included, deserve much better than this. So does hockey.

3 minutes ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

First off, I want to say that the fans of the Montreal Canadiens are the most passionate, knowledgeable fans in any sport. The opportunity to interact with you on this forum has been priceless to me. For that, I thank you for the several years I have enjoyed Montreal Canadiens hockey with you. I will always be a Canadiens fan no matter what.

I 've said many times on this forum that I've been a Canadiens fan since I was a boy. I grew up enjoying the exploits of the Habs and the great teams they've had over the years. Meeting and talking to Maurice Richard at two different sports collectors shows are the greatest days two days of my life. And along the way, I got to meet Jean Beliveau and Henri Richard when they came with Maurice. And hearing Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull talk about Richard to me was the chance of a lifetime. And to have the opportunity to take my large, autographed photo of Maurice and Henri Richard to the Detroit taping of the legendary PBS series Antiques Roadshow was a privilege I will remember for the rest of my life.

In my new home at Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia, where I'm in grad school in the Masters In Journalism program, I have made every attempt to introduce Maurice Richard and the great Canadiens teams of yesteryear to the students and teachers. I even did a presentation in one of my classes about parasocial interaction - the interaction between fans and celebrities. Richard was the balance wheel that the presentation was made. I wish I could post it here so everybody could see it, as I got an A on the project. All of you would really love it. And believe it or not, I found some scholarly research on Richard and the Richard phenomenon. Of course, I used other situations as well. And I was thrilled when one of my former professors back in Michigan saw it, got back to me, and saw that I used some research from her. She was very appreciative. I let her borrow my DVD of Maurice Richard and The Sweater when I was in her class.

It has been an honor to be a fan of a sports franchise that has had a long, winning tradition and which has produced some of the greatest athletes I've ever met or witnessed in any sport.

Now for the hard part. For the first time ever, I stopped following the Canadiens so much. This is the most difficult admission I've ever had to make as a longtime Habs fan. After seeing one of their games and listening to a few others, I knew right then and there that this organization was in deep trouble. I have lurked in this forum from time to time to see what the fans were saying. I'm very disappointed with what has happened to a once-proud franchise. I have never seen anything like it. Is it too late for them to get it right again? No. It's never too late. But the quality of hockey I witnessed or listened to, even if it was for a few games, was very bad, the worst I've ever seen. As I said, I will always be a Canadiens fan. But some serious changes have to be made from the top on down. And unless those moves are made, I don't see much of a future for them in the short term.

It's very sad to me that a once-proud franchise has been reduced to this. And this is one of the hardest things I've ever had to say as a lifelong fan. I know many of you feel the same way. I've seen the posts. And I want you to know I'm behind you completely in your frustration. Remembering all those championship teams and seeing them now is enough to make me very upset. I've always believed a healthy Canadiens franchise meant a healthy National Hockey League. And seeing things the way they are now, I will have to agree with those who share the same feelings I do.

I hope the moderators understand my frustration, and the frustration many of you have shown. But sometimes things like this need to be said, for the love of the fanbase and a once-proud organization. If I have broken a few rules of conduct on this forum, I apologize. I have tried to address this very difficult situation with as much class and fairness as I can. I fondly hope for a return to glory for the Canadiens and the many fans who follow them. The fans, I included, deserve much better than this. So does hockey.

I'd still like to be part of this forum and talk Canadiens hockey from time to time. It's very upsetting to me to see what is going on with the organization right now.

59 minutes ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

Very well said Larry. You echo all of our frustrations unfortunately. :5187:

2 hours ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

I'd still like to be part of this forum and talk Canadiens hockey from time to time. It's very upsetting to me to see what is going on with the organization right now.

Larry, you are not alone!

4 hours ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

Please don't stop lurking around, Larry. :)

18 hours ago, Regis22 said:

MB may be on pace for the being the worst GM in Montreal history

I think Reggie missed the playoffs in 3 ( maybe 4 ) yr of being GM

MB has already missed it twice and next yr will be his third

Rejean Houle vs Marc Bergevin

They're equally incompetent ... and clearly it's going to be a decade of pain like it was from 1996 to 2005 after Rejean Houle.

• H_T_L locked this topic