Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Iconic Names Being Stripped From Stanley Cup


kinot-2
 Share

Recommended Posts

I feel this is an absolute shame. Here's the full article: 

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/paywp7/legendary-names-to-be-stripped-off-stanley-cup-because-theres-no-room-left

Legendary Names to Be Stripped Off Stanley Cup Because There's No Room Left

IMO, this is just sad and disappointing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I feel this is an absolute shame. Here's the full article: 

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/paywp7/legendary-names-to-be-stripped-off-stanley-cup-because-theres-no-room-left

Legendary Names to Be Stripped Off Stanley Cup Because There's No Room Left

IMO, this is just sad and disappointing.

They still keep all the rings in the Hockey Hall of Fame. To keep all the rings to everyone happy, (every generation wants to keep their hero ) the cup wouldn't be able to be handled it'll end up 10' tall!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

They still keep all the rings in the Hockey Hall of Fame. To keep all the rings to everyone happy, (every generation wants to keep their hero ) the cup wouldn't be able to be handled it'll end up 10' tall!

 

Seems to me that they could make another SC for the rings that have been removed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Seems to me that they could make another SC for the rings that have been removed. 

Eventually they may have enough rings to do that, or may already. It actually might be cool for display purposes. I actually do think it's great that all the players coaches ect. get to have their name on the cup. I don't think there is another sport that does this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To me, this is a meh story. They can't really continue to just make the Cup bigger and bigger, so it makes sense to remove rings as they go. It's not like they're tossing them in the garbage. I think the writer of this article is trying to make a story out of nothing to be honest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Seems to me that they could make another SC for the rings that have been removed. 

The problem with a 2nd SC is two fold

1) Who goes on the 1st cup and who goes on the 2nd cup?

2) Which cups gets presented in the finals? The old one with all the teams up to 19xx? or the newer one with all the teams since 19xx?

3) Are you insulted as a team if its the newer one?  ie your team isn't included with say the hockey greats of Detroit and Montreal of the 50/60s

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, habsisme said:

What is sad about this story is to think of the day that the once might Montreal Canadiens have no players names on the current cup, I think it takes about 65 years, so about 2058

So what I'm hearing ... that's MB's timeline ... we hants his habs roster to be the only habs roster on the cup?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

The problem with a 2nd SC is two fold

1) Who goes on the 1st cup and who goes on the 2nd cup?

2) Which cups gets presented in the finals? The old one with all the teams up to 19xx? or the newer one with all the teams since 19xx?

3) Are you insulted as a team if its the newer one?  ie your team isn't included with say the hockey greats of Detroit and Montreal of the 50/60s

 

With the rings being removed it's actually already that the newest winner of the cup isn't actually being awarded the original cup already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

With the rings being removed it's actually already that the newest winner of the cup isn't actually being awarded the original cup already.

Yes but if there's an actual 2nd cup ... then you're being presented with a "phony" rather than the continuation of the tradition.     At least the rings being removed, those rings still exist and at some point your roster will join those exalted rings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

The problem with a 2nd SC is two fold

1) Who goes on the 1st cup and who goes on the 2nd cup?

2) Which cups gets presented in the finals? The old one with all the teams up to 19xx? or the newer one with all the teams since 19xx?

3) Are you insulted as a team if its the newer one?  ie your team isn't included with say the hockey greats of Detroit and Montreal of the 50/60s

 

The original cup is on display at the hockey hall of fame. The cup presented to the winners is actually called the Presenatation Cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

The original cup is on display at the hockey hall of fame. The cup presented to the winners is actually called the Presenatation Cup.

Spelling alert. Gotcha 52. :6416:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, habsisme said:

What is sad about this story is to think of the day that the once might Montreal Canadiens have no players names on the current cup, I think it takes about 65 years, so about 2058

We should have a #1 centre and a LHD to play with Weber by then.  Price's contract will run out just after that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...