Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

NHL Awards Finalists


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

The NHL has started announcing its finalists for awards, starting with the three for the Vezina:

- Connor Hellebuyck

- Pekka Rinne

- Andrei Vasilevskiy

There are other goalies who were in the mix, but overall I'm fine with the three nods. I'd pick Rinne to win over Hellebuyck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the Hart, my finalists would be Taylor Hall, Nathan MacKinnon, and Claude Giroux... I'd give the nod to Hall, but it's an interesting race this year.

For the Norris, my finalists would be Victor Hedman, PK Subban, and Seth Jones... I'd give it to Hedman.

I don't even think there's a question that Matt Barzal should win the Calder nor that Gerard Gallant will win the Jack Adams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Norris finalists just announced... Hedman, Subban, and Doughty. I think Hedman will win, but another slap in the face to Bergevin that he gave up on a guy having such sustained success in Nashville when everyone predicted it except him.

PK Subban posts that he's honored to be nominated but that the credit goes to all his teammates... what a selfish, egotistical, awful teammate. Good thing Bergevin traded him before he said nice things about the other players here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Norris finalists just announced... Hedman, Subban, and Doughty. I think Hedman will win, but another slap in the face to Bergevin that he gave up on a guy having such sustained success in Nashville when everyone predicted it except him.

I still think Hedman will win but good for PK for putting more egg on MB's face.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Norris finalists just announced... Hedman, Subban, and Doughty. I think Hedman will win, but another slap in the face to Bergevin that he gave up on a guy having such sustained success in Nashville when everyone predicted it except him.

Nice to see that he's being recognized for his play, not only in Nashville but league-wide. It's unfortunate that our GM seems to have a completely different agenda.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

PK Subban posts that he's honored to be nominated but that the credit goes to all his teammates... what a selfish, egotistical, awful teammate. Good thing Bergevin traded him before he said nice things about the other players here.

Come on Ted, it was probably sarcasm. #badattitude #triplelowfiveshowoff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

yeah but NEXT year....he...wont even be close to that conversation.

nice bergy, nice trade. good stuff.

If we draft Dahlin, or trade for a PM LHD  and Weber stays healthy all year and the stars align etc etc - i do think there's a possibliity Weber has a Norris-Caliber season left in him. The Professional Hockey Writers' Association tend to see things in a bubble so if he (Weber) was to have a 25+ goal season and a super high +/- for example, he could easily get them on his side.  Not saying he'd actually be among the 3 best, but its entirely possible the PHWA would think so.  But it would take a LOT of luck - the perfect partner to compliment him, Price to be Price etc -  and is extremely unlikely.

Subban meanwhile, should be in the Norris mix for some time to come.   Shrewd trading to be sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone believes strongly that Subban will win this year, but this is his 3rd nomination as a finalist, and he's already a previous Norris winner. His coach Peter Laviolette said today that he's a great player and that some people don't realize it, but he's got one of the best defensive games in the league.

I've said that all along too... even with Montreal, he was quick on loose pucks, he was excellent on the PK, he was great at protecting the puck, and his low center of gravity and quick feet made him able to match-up against any type of forward. He did numbers defending on the likes of Sid and Ovi, even as a rookie. His defensive game has always been overlooked., especially by people who are quick to point out his turnover numbers without identifying that his turnover rate is much lower given the number of times he touches the puck.

In any case, just more proof we lost the trade in a landslide. As for Weber, I simply don't see him winning a Norris or even getting a nomination. He's aging. Will he be healthy enough to finish a full year? He just doesn't skate well enough to be considered elite right now. And yes, he's still good. And yes, he'll be a beast on the PP for a few more years because of his shot. But I don't see how he's going to run ahead of the likes of Subban, Doughty, Hedman, Karlsson, Seth Jones (who IMO should have been nominated ahead of Doughty this year), and even the likes of Brent Burns and some of the younger guys who are moving up the ranks... Josi. Carlson. Gostisbehere. Pietrangelo. Krug. McAvoy. Dumba. Hamilton. Rielly. Ekman-Larsson. Suter. Werenski. I'd take all these guys on my team over Weber. Even Sergachev has probably got a better chance of winning a Norris over the next 5 years than Weber. Is Weber still a #1 guy? Yeah, he's probably in the order of a top 20-35 D man in the league. But I wouldn't have him in my top 10 any more and I don't even know if he'd make Team Canada if they chose a roster right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brendan Gallagher is the Habs nominee for the King Clancy award, for leadership on and off the ice, as well as humanitarian service. Also nominated... Gallagher's good friend PK Subban.

Someone should find out if Bergevin knows that Subban is a good on-ice and off-ice leader. Seems like the Habs could use some of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, BigTed3 said:

I Is Weber still a #1 guy? Yeah, he's probably in the order of a top 20-35 D man in the league. But I wouldn't have him in my top 10 any more and I don't even know if he'd make Team Canada if they chose a roster right now.

and MB is going to use WEBER to entice JT to sign. Bad move

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Regis22 said:

and MB is going to use WEBER to entice JT to sign. Bad move

Would make much more sense to use Carey... the Isles have the worst goaltending in the league just about, so quite possible JT is frustrated that he can provide offence but can't prevent goals at the other end. Carey had an off year, but he's still widely regarded as the best goalie in the league by many players. So the whole you take care of the offence and Carey will take care of our net might be an incentive to JT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Would make much more sense to use Carey... the Isles have the worst goaltending in the league just about, so quite possible JT is frustrated that he can provide offence but can't prevent goals at the other end. Carey had an off year, but he's still widely regarded as the best goalie in the league by many players. So the whole you take care of the offence and Carey will take care of our net might be an incentive to JT.

Well i think the smart move is to use any and all players we have.  In Price, Weber, Pacioretty and others we have some appealing pieces.   If that is a motivation for JT to sign then by all means use them.

 

That said, there seems to be a number of analysts who suggest he may not want the limelight & therefore places like montreal (or toronto etc) may be off his radar.   Will be interesting to see for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Well i think the smart move is to use any and all players we have.  In Price, Weber, Pacioretty and others we have some appealing pieces.   If that is a motivation for JT to sign then by all means use them.

 

That said, there seems to be a number of analysts who suggest he may not want the limelight & therefore places like montreal (or toronto etc) may be off his radar.   Will be interesting to see for sure. 

Tavares will come nowhere near our team, even with the above mentioned so-called motivational pieces IMO.

Our problem is our delusional GM and his side kick Molson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

And King Clancy Memorial finalists are Henrik/Daniel Sedin, Jason Zucker, and... PK Subban. Gallagher didn't make the cut.

Oh man, oh man! Too funny. For exemplifying leadership on and off the ice. Damn, I hope Subban's Predators keep going in the play-offs. Down with the 'Peg!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Oh man, oh man! Too funny. For exemplifying leadership on and off the ice. Damn, I hope Subban's Predators keep going in the play-offs. Down with the 'Peg!!!

The award basically asks who is a leader, has character and a good attitude on/off the ice... basically everything Bergevin claims to be searching for. The irony is thick. To boot, it's "as voted on by the players teammates" and then the league...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Subban voted cover player for NHL 19.

So wait, people actually like him?

Nope, he was just showing off and campaigning for it while spending too much energy outside the rink.  Just like he did when he donated to the hospital - it's all about the brand ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...