The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Coaching Changes

35 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

Well between this and Lefebvre, at least something's changing.  It's hard to get too excited at what was pretty much the most obvious move in the world, but that's where we're at right now.

Yup. Kind of felt that way when Therrien was fired.  Reason for optimism but, like you said, so obvious - and a lot of other things have to change too. 

58 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

Well between this and Lefebvre, at least something's changing.  It's hard to get too excited at what was pretty much the most obvious move in the world, but that's where we're at right now.

Pretty much where I'm at. It's a good move and a smart move, but fans and media have been clamoring for this for a couple of years, so while I'm happy to see unsuccessful coaches replaced, it's simply been too little too late. We've already blown through Subban and through the prime years of Pacioretty and Price. So it all still feels like a waste. Lefebvre did nothing in the AHL, and Daigneault hasn't produced any development on the back end of our NHL club. There was a piece about a week ago, don't recall where, looking at JJ's work with our D and how bad it had been. Beaulieu and Tinordi failing to develop. Pateryn being sat out and rained on but having success in Dallas. Morrow doing better in Winnipeg. Jerabek being given more of a chance and doing better in Washington. And so on. The point was that JJ had never really gotten the most out of anyone, and the PK had also deteriorated under him, maybe in large part due to the fact that it was previously being buoyed by Subban and by Price being all-worldly.

In any case, thank goodness we finally made moves, and I like the Ducharme hire, but it's hard to get excited about things with Bergevin still in place.

Habs have also announced they will retain Muller and have re-signed Stephane Waite to an extension. Ducharme will be the 4th coach on the bench, according to Julien. Julien also stated the team will look to hire a new defence coach at a later date and that they are looking for "an ex-NHL defenceman who has past coaching experience in the NHL."

That's not a very broad spectrum of people to choose from, but let's see who that ends up being.

7 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I like Ducharme and i am glad to see JJ get the boot never thought much of him on any hockey level. glad Kirk is still here the players seem to like him and i feel he does an ok job.

I like Muller also but I wonder if they keep him around as a token Anglo in the coaching ranks to appease the English speaking fans.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Julien also stated the team will look to hire a new defence coach at a later date and that they are looking for "an ex-NHL defenceman who has past coaching experience in the NHL."

That's not a very broad spectrum of people to choose from, but let's see who that ends up being.

Robinson?

11 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

This is nuts the whole Anglo VS Francophone issue which this team has incorporated into itself. We need the most Skilled VS Language politics period. If we're serious about winning the Stanley Cup, these dinosaurs and these outdated ideas need to move on.

“I don’t look for yes men, I look for people that have opinions and that are willing to work with the same goal in mind and (Ducharme’s) definitely one of them and the next guy will probably be the same,” Julien said. “I’m going to try and find the best candidate possible and it doesn’t have to be French. It can be whatever. If it is French, great. If it’s not, it’s going to be the best candidate.

HIO

I dunno, maybe it's a step in the right direction. Still, the English/French thing isn't going to go away all of a sudden, it's part of everyday life in Montreal.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

“I don’t look for yes men, I look for people that have opinions and that are willing to work with the same goal in mind and (Ducharme’s) definitely one of them and the next guy will probably be the same,” Julien said. “I’m going to try and find the best candidate possible and it doesn’t have to be French. It can be whatever. If it is French, great. If it’s not, it’s going to be the best candidate.

HIO

I dunno, maybe it's a step in the right direction. Still, the English/French thing isn't going to go away all of a sudden, it's part of everyday life in Montreal.

*Fingers crossed* ;)

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

HIO

Muller is English, so there's no doubt hey will go to an Anglophone assistant if need be. Rumor was that they considered Gallant previously as a head coach when they were replacing Therrien. So there's maybe some progress. But until they openly give a non-Francophone GM or head coach a legit try, I won't believe the mindset has changed all that much. Still a glass ceiling of sorts (or at least more hurdles to climb) for Anglos within the organization, and I don't believe for a minute that the likes of Daigneault, Lacroix, Jodoin, Lefebvre, Carriere, Therrien, and so on were the best men for the job... they were all respectively the best Francophones the team could find and maybe not even that.

15 hours ago, maas_art said:

Robinson?

Not sure if Habs would go down that route again. Would love to have him, but not sure Robinson would forgive Bergevin for how he was treated. He seemed insulted by what MB did to him...

Would wonder about Doug Houda, who was an assistant with Julien in Boston. He's currently with the Wings, but don't know his contract situation. Chris Chelios is also an assistant with Detroit. Rick Green's another ex-D man who used to coach here as an assistant under Julien. Joel Bouchard's been rumored to be a leading candidate for the AHl club, but he's also a former NHL defenceman, albeit one without NHL experience as a coach.Similarly, Patrice Brisebois and Francis Bouillon are ex-NHL D men who have a long history with this organization and who might be considered even though that's likely not in our best interest. Donald Dufresne has been the assistant coach in charge of D with Laval, although I also don't see why we'd re-hire him at the NHL level after the debacle there.

I think it's more likely we'll see someone new, who maybe doesn't have ties to the Habs before, which is really what this team needs. At some point, I also really wonder about the chances Saku Koivu gets into coaching, something he thought about after he retired but which hasn't happened yet. But he's a smart hockey player, well-respected, might be another guy I'd ask around about being an assistant in Laval or something like that to start... have to maintain a coaching pipeline going forward.

8 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya,,, that's the guy. 

From MB: "I would like to thank Rick Dudley for his contributions to the Canadiens organization over the last six years," Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in a statement Tuesday. "His vast hockey knowledge and extensive experience have been key assets to our team".

Really?

Just now, habs1952 said:

From MB: "I would like to thank Rick Dudley for his contributions to the Canadiens organization over the last six years," Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in a statement Tuesday. "His vast hockey knowledge and extensive experience have been key assets to our team".

Really?

MB, the Stand-up comedian. 

forgot

" I would like to thank Rick Dudley for his contributions to the Canadiens organization over the last six years. His vast hockey knowledge and extensive experience have been key assets to our team, On a more personal level, since I became an amateur scout in 2005, Rick has not only been a valuable adviser and confidant, but also a great friend I could always count on. On behalf of myself and the Montreal Canadiens, I wish Rick all the success in his new role with the Carolina Hurricanes

MB hired another friend

and

Bergevin said there were no plans to fill Dudley’s position.

Montreal can end up out of the playoffs with or without Dudley

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2018 at 3:55 PM, BigTed3 said:

Not sure if Habs would go down that route again. Would love to have him, but not sure Robinson would forgive Bergevin for how he was treated. He seemed insulted by what MB did to him...

Would wonder about Doug Houda, who was an assistant with Julien in Boston. He's currently with the Wings, but don't know his contract situation. Chris Chelios is also an assistant with Detroit. Rick Green's another ex-D man who used to coach here as an assistant under Julien. Joel Bouchard's been rumored to be a leading candidate for the AHl club, but he's also a former NHL defenceman, albeit one without NHL experience as a coach.Similarly, Patrice Brisebois and Francis Bouillon are ex-NHL D men who have a long history with this organization and who might be considered even though that's likely not in our best interest. Donald Dufresne has been the assistant coach in charge of D with Laval, although I also don't see why we'd re-hire him at the NHL level after the debacle there.

I think it's more likely we'll see someone new, who maybe doesn't have ties to the Habs before, which is really what this team needs. At some point, I also really wonder about the chances Saku Koivu gets into coaching, something he thought about after he retired but which hasn't happened yet. But he's a smart hockey player, well-respected, might be another guy I'd ask around about being an assistant in Laval or something like that to start... have to maintain a coaching pipeline going forward.

Houda is a former Red Wing.