The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Would Any Of These UFAs Be Usefull To The Habs?

Tavares yes.

Carlson yes.

JVR and Neal yes, and then you deal 1-2 of your existing wingers for other help.

Stastny only if you also get a 1C to play ahead of him.

Jack Johnson or Thomas Hickey on a cheap, short-term contract. They're not worth a bidding war though.

Otherwise, very little interest. It's not a great UFA year, outside of the top two guys. I think we're better off using our draft picks, trying to acquire more picks/prospects/young vets for Pacioretty, Weber, and Price, and then working from there.

24 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Tavares yes.

Carlson yes.

JVR and Neal yes, and then you deal 1-2 of your existing wingers for other help.

Jack Johnson or Thomas Hickey on a cheap, short-term contract. They're not worth a bidding war though.

Otherwise, very little interest. It's not a great UFA year, outside of the top two guys. I think we're better off using our draft picks, trying to acquire more picks/prospects/young vets for Pacioretty, Weber, and Price, and then working from there.

I agree, except for the wingers, have almost 0 use for them

4 hours ago, habsisme said:

I agree, except for the wingers, have almost 0 use for them

I think JVR and Neal can still play at a decent level for another 3-4 years. If you sign one of them and deal Pacioretty for a 1 LHD, for example, then you've filled a key hole and haven't created one or dealt other assets to make that happen. We don't need wingers now, but we're going to need to trade away a winger or two to fill other needs, so I don't see a downside to signing good players where you can and working from that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018-05-06 at 1:01 PM, BigTed3 said:

Tavares yes.

Carlson yes.

Stastny's playoff performance may entice the Peg to try and resign him ... however I said in another thread long ago

Sign Tavares and Stastny

Trade Patches for a 1D

Drouin - Tavares - Galagher

Galchenyuk - Stastny - Sherbek

Byron - Danault - Lehkonen

Shaw -  Jacob DLR - McCarron/whoever

Then D

1D - Weber

MEte - Petry

Juulsun/Reilly and whoever else rotate for the 5/6/7 spots

dump Alzner and Schlemko 

That team above looks 10x better than where we're at

3 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Stastny's playoff performance may entice the Peg to try and resign him ... however I said in another thread long ago

Sign Tavares and Stastny

Trade Patches for a 1D

Drouin - Tavares - Galagher

Galchenyuk - Stastny - Sherbek

Byron - Danault - Lehkonen

Shaw -  Jacob DLR - McCarron/whoever

Then D

1D - Weber

MEte - Petry

Juulsun/Reilly and whoever else rotate for the 5/6/7 spots

dump Alzner and Schlemko 

That team above looks 10x better than where we're at

But can MB pull it off? 

• 2 weeks later...

RILEY NASH, C, 29
2017-18 cap hit: $900,000

Would likely be a better option than re-signing Plekanec... both in terms of cost and age. He apparently did an outstanding job replacing Bergeron during the playoffs. Nash was a point-per-game guy in 13 games. He could triple his current cap hit though and cost more perhaps.

CALVIN DE HAAN, D, 27
2017-18 cap hit: $3,300,000

Missed the last 49 games with a shoulder injury and will thus come at a discount. If he returns to form he could make a decent second pairing d-man to play with Petry. He has played top four second-pairing minutes.