The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Would Any Of These UFAs Be Usefull To The Habs?

kinot-2

Tavares yes.

Carlson yes.

JVR and Neal yes, and then you deal 1-2 of your existing wingers for other help.

Stastny only if you also get a 1C to play ahead of him.

Jack Johnson or Thomas Hickey on a cheap, short-term contract. They're not worth a bidding war though.

Otherwise, very little interest. It's not a great UFA year, outside of the top two guys. I think we're better off using our draft picks, trying to acquire more picks/prospects/young vets for Pacioretty, Weber, and Price, and then working from there.

24 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Tavares yes.

Carlson yes.

JVR and Neal yes, and then you deal 1-2 of your existing wingers for other help.

Jack Johnson or Thomas Hickey on a cheap, short-term contract. They're not worth a bidding war though.

Otherwise, very little interest. It's not a great UFA year, outside of the top two guys. I think we're better off using our draft picks, trying to acquire more picks/prospects/young vets for Pacioretty, Weber, and Price, and then working from there.

I agree, except for the wingers, have almost 0 use for them

4 hours ago, habsisme said:

I agree, except for the wingers, have almost 0 use for them

I think JVR and Neal can still play at a decent level for another 3-4 years. If you sign one of them and deal Pacioretty for a 1 LHD, for example, then you've filled a key hole and haven't created one or dealt other assets to make that happen. We don't need wingers now, but we're going to need to trade away a winger or two to fill other needs, so I don't see a downside to signing good players where you can and working from that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018-05-06 at 1:01 PM, BigTed3 said:

Tavares yes.

Carlson yes.

Stastny's playoff performance may entice the Peg to try and resign him ... however I said in another thread long ago

Sign Tavares and Stastny

Trade Patches for a 1D

Drouin - Tavares - Galagher

Galchenyuk - Stastny - Sherbek

Byron - Danault - Lehkonen

Shaw -  Jacob DLR - McCarron/whoever

Then D

1D - Weber

MEte - Petry

Juulsun/Reilly and whoever else rotate for the 5/6/7 spots

dump Alzner and Schlemko 

That team above looks 10x better than where we're at

3 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Stastny's playoff performance may entice the Peg to try and resign him ... however I said in another thread long ago

Sign Tavares and Stastny

Trade Patches for a 1D

Drouin - Tavares - Galagher

Galchenyuk - Stastny - Sherbek

Byron - Danault - Lehkonen

Shaw -  Jacob DLR - McCarron/whoever

Then D

1D - Weber

MEte - Petry

Juulsun/Reilly and whoever else rotate for the 5/6/7 spots

dump Alzner and Schlemko 

That team above looks 10x better than where we're at

But can MB pull it off? 

• 2 weeks later...

RILEY NASH, C, 29
2017-18 cap hit: $900,000

Would likely be a better option than re-signing Plekanec... both in terms of cost and age. He apparently did an outstanding job replacing Bergeron during the playoffs. Nash was a point-per-game guy in 13 games. He could triple his current cap hit though and cost more perhaps.

CALVIN DE HAAN, D, 27
2017-18 cap hit: $3,300,000

Missed the last 49 games with a shoulder injury and will thus come at a discount. If he returns to form he could make a decent second pairing d-man to play with Petry. He has played top four second-pairing minutes.