The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

ROUND #3 playoff discussion

H_T_L

7 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

ICYMI, here's the opening ceremonies from the Vegas game last night:

Impressive! Absolutely torches the Habs torch ceremonies. I just hope that kind of support stays for the Knights if the NFL, NBA or MLB come to town. Being their first professional team and hockey being an exciting sport which is actually played for 60 minutes, I think it should be a success.

2 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Tampa wins to level the series!! :5210:

Home ice means nothing in this year's playoffs. :4322:

Hey you,,, yes you, PP, here's a place where you can fawn over your TB team.  :6416:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/eastern-conference-final-tampa-bay-lightning-1a-v-washington-capitals-1m.2488949/page-6

4 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

The fix is in. The Bettman league will make sure no Canadian team wins the Cup.

I've been cheering for the Jets , but I have to say in this case I can't see Bettman having anything to do with it. Vegas like them or not haven't been given the games they've actually been winning every series so far.

8 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

The fix is in. The Bettman league will make sure no Canadian team wins the Cup.

I think Canadian teams are at a disadvantage because of the cap and tax situation, but not sure I believe the NHL wants Vegas to win the Cup. It would make the entire league look like a sham.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think Canadian teams are at a disadvantage because of the cap and tax situation, but not sure I believe the NHL wants Vegas to win the Cup. It would make the entire league look like a sham.

Already looks that way IMHO... Just think about all the teams that have been working hard to get there for years now and then a League assisted team is where they are right now.

Vegas' success probably makes Bergevin feel a lot more secure. :5155:There were teams with much better seasons than ours that couldn't compete with Vegas. It would have been nice to have shot at that Vegas coach....... Oh wait.... we decided to let him go. Forget the PK trade where is Gallant?

This Vegas story is just unbelievable. They're so much fun to watch, they are absolutely relentless with their speed in the neutral zone and they seem to be wringing every last little bit of value out of every single player on the roster. I'm all-in on the Vegas bandwagon, they're just such an exciting team to watch and I'd love to see Fleury get a threepeat. I don't really get the hindsight whining about the expansion draft to be honest, at the time of the draft nobody thought they were going to be any good, and the majority of their key players came from GMs either making huge mistakes or galaxy brain overthinking the expansion draft. We're talking about a team with Luca Sbisa, Ryan Carpenter, Braydon McNabb, Ryan Reaves, Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, and Tomas Nosek taking regular roster roles, it's not like they were gifted some insanely unfair wealth of stars. 

It just seems like GMs got way too cute with the expansion draft and tried to get rid of bad contracts or players they didn't like for dumb reasons, or got way too attached to marginal players on their crappy teams. Florida gave them Marchessault and Smith for a 4th round pick so they could protect Petrovic or Pysyk. St. Louis protected Ryan Reaves and gave away David Perron. Minnesota gave away Tuch and Haula to protect Dumba. Columbus didn't insure the Nathan Horton contract which eventually led to them giving Vegas Karlsson and picks to take Clarkson and protect their backup goalie. Anaheim was dumb enough to give Bieksa a NMC in 2016 so they had to trade Theodore to protect Vatanen (who they later traded anyway). Islanders gave away a ton of picks to dump Grabovski's contract and protect a bunch of bad players from their horrible team. And Vegas made tons of mistakes too! They took Emelin for free and only got a 5th rounder for him when the Habs left Hudon exposed. Bellemare has been OK but he's a replacement level player and there was probably a better player available. 

Even Fleury, everyone knew they were getting a solid #1 goalie in Fleury, but he went out and had a Vezina season and has been utterly incredible in the playoffs after having an annual playoff implosion from 2010-2016. Nobody could or should have expected Fleury to instantly drop in and give them Vezina (and possibly Conn Smythe) level goaltending. Nate Schmidt was always a decent player but he's become a genuine top pair guy and he was a healthy scratch for the Capitals last year. Colin Miller was an OK fringe #4 and he's been excellent. They got their solid 4C in Carpenter off waivers. They have Deryk Engelland playing top 4 minutes and excelling. They've caught lightning in a bottle and it's incredible to watch, they are the ultimate example of being more than the sum of their parts and are squeezing every last ounce of value out of their team.

Oh, and Seattle is 100% getting the exact same rules as Vegas (except maybe if you lost a goalie to Vegas you can't lose another goalie). They're not paying $650M for an expansion team to get garbage like past expansion teams. 

32 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

This Vegas story is just unbelievable. They're so much fun to watch, they are absolutely relentless with their speed in the neutral zone and they seem to be wringing every last little bit of value out of every single player on the roster. I'm all-in on the Vegas bandwagon, they're just such an exciting team to watch and I'd love to see Fleury get a threepeat. I don't really get the hindsight whining about the expansion draft to be honest, at the time of the draft nobody thought they were going to be any good, and the majority of their key players came from GMs either making huge mistakes or galaxy brain overthinking the expansion draft. We're talking about a team with Luca Sbisa, Ryan Carpenter, Braydon McNabb, Ryan Reaves, Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, and Tomas Nosek taking regular roster roles, it's not like they were gifted some insanely unfair wealth of stars. 

It just seems like GMs got way too cute with the expansion draft and tried to get rid of bad contracts or players they didn't like for dumb reasons, or got way too attached to marginal players on their crappy teams. Florida gave them Marchessault and Smith for a 4th round pick so they could protect Petrovic or Pysyk. St. Louis protected Ryan Reaves and gave away David Perron. Minnesota gave away Tuch and Haula to protect Dumba. Columbus didn't insure the Nathan Horton contract which eventually led to them giving Vegas Karlsson and picks to take Clarkson and protect their backup goalie. Anaheim was dumb enough to give Bieksa a NMC in 2016 so they had to trade Theodore to protect Vatanen (who they later traded anyway). Islanders gave away a ton of picks to dump Grabovski's contract and protect a bunch of bad players from their horrible team. And Vegas made tons of mistakes too! They took Emelin for free and only got a 5th rounder for him when the Habs left Hudon exposed. Bellemare has been OK but he's a replacement level player and there was probably a better player available. 

Even Fleury, everyone knew they were getting a solid #1 goalie in Fleury, but he went out and had a Vezina season and has been utterly incredible in the playoffs after having an annual playoff implosion from 2010-2016. Nobody could or should have expected Fleury to instantly drop in and give them Vezina (and possibly Conn Smythe) level goaltending. Nate Schmidt was always a decent player but he's become a genuine top pair guy and he was a healthy scratch for the Capitals last year. Colin Miller was an OK fringe #4 and he's been excellent. They got their solid 4C in Carpenter off waivers. They have Deryk Engelland playing top 4 minutes and excelling. They've caught lightning in a bottle and it's incredible to watch, they are the ultimate example of being more than the sum of their parts and are squeezing every last ounce of value out of their team.

Oh, and Seattle is 100% getting the exact same rules as Vegas (except maybe if you lost a goalie to Vegas you can't lose another goalie). They're not paying $650M for an expansion team to get garbage like past expansion teams. 

Most all of their team are having career years and are playing what hockey is all about as a team. They've also had very few injuries other than goaltending. There were a lot pre expansion mock drafts and no one on here or the professionals thought this was going to happen or last. It's great for them but it's not some master plan Neal is probably the only 1st line player they really drafted. Also why instead of trying to build a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, line team it's better to build a deep team that you can roll 4 lines and play fast hockey wearing out the other team and making it harder to shutdown a 1st and 2nd line and then the team is done. It's a fun rune to watch. This by no means makes Vegas a contender for years to yet. With this same roster they could come down to earth easily next season.   

12 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Most all of their team are having career years and are playing what hockey is all about as a team. They've also had very few injuries other than goaltending. There were a lot pre expansion mock drafts and no one on here or the professionals thought this was going to happen or last. It's great for them but it's not some master plan Neal is probably the only 1st line player they really drafted. Also why instead of trying to build a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, line team it's better to build a deep team that you can roll 4 lines and play fast hockey wearing out the other team and making it harder to shutdown a 1st and 2nd line and then the team is done. It's a fun rune to watch. This by no means makes Vegas a contender for years to yet. With this same roster they could come down to earth easily next season.   

Yeah for sure, absolutely nobody thought they were going to be any good. Traditional media, league insiders, analytics guys, even Vegas themselves seemed to think they wouldn't be great and they planned to flip expiring UFAs at the deadline. The consensus was that Vegas did well at the expansion draft but only in the sense of getting lots of young players and picks to build for the future, not that they got the core of a cup contender. Pretty much everyone thought they'd be better than the basement teams like Buffalo but nobody thought they were even a 90 point team, let alone that they'd win the Pacific division and be up 3-1 in the Conference final. 

I agree too, I think they're getting lightning in a bottle and they aren't set up to be a juggernaut forever. Karlsson isn't going to keep shooting 8% better than Laine or Stamkos, and Fleury isn't going to keep being the best goalie in the world. Other thing is they can roll so many good lines because all these guys are cheap from only playing in depth roles, Karlsson is about to get a huge raise and most of their other depth guys aren't going to stay cheap for very long. It's a lot harder to keep that collection of depth together when they all start getting paid like legit top 9 forwards and top 4 defenders instead of being on cheap depth contracts. I'm just excited to see how far this can go, it's just such a fun story and I love the way they play the game.

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

What's disturbing to me is that any Canadian team has been unable to win the Cup since 1993! Even percentage wise, we should have won the Cup at least twice by now.

Several Canadiens alumni still playing hockey in the conference finals. We tip our hat to Lars Eller, Devante Smith-Pelly, Jakub Jerabek, Mikhail Sergachev, Peter Budaj, Joe Morrow, Ryan McDonagh, Stefan Matteau and Vegas Golden Knights head coach Gerard Gallant as they battle on with their respective teams trying to win the Stanley Cup.

• H_T_L locked this topic