The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs name Bouchard coach of AHL's Rocket

maas_art

58 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Cool.

Seems like a move everyone is saying makes sense for our organization!

27 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

It definitely won't be any worse! :)

Ya.  What is frustrating is that it looks like we finally have great coaches at every level of the organization...but way too late.  Imagine this group in Montreal and Laval back in say 2013-14 ?  How many of our failed prospects would be NHL regulars now?  Would we have made boneheaded moves because our coaching staff couldnt handle our stars?   

38 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Time will tell. I don't think MB has a very good record of hiring great coaches. He can't even evaluate players.

Love your new pic,,,,,,, is it a selfi? :lol:

Marc Bergevin has announced that Sylvain Lefebvre’s assistants will also not be returning.

"Marc Bergevin confirmed that both Donald Dufresne and Nick Carrière will not be back as assistant coaches in Laval next season." per habs' twitter.

So far the coaching moves have all been really positive.  I am still very dubious MB can turn this club around without a rebuild or retool but getting a little more optimistic with the off-ice moves so far. 

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

At least he's getting away from hiring friends. Somebody must have learned a lesson down the road. Not easy canning people you know.

That's why you don't hire friends, even if you think they are the best coach available.

33 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Marc Bergevin has announced that Sylvain Lefebvre’s assistants will also not be returning.

"Marc Bergevin confirmed that both Donald Dufresne and Nick Carrière will not be back as assistant coaches in Laval next season." per habs' twitter.

So far the coaching moves have all been really positive.  I am still very dubious MB can turn this club around without a rebuild or retool but getting a little more optimistic with the off-ice moves so far. 

The moves seem to be headed in the right direction. I still wonder if Ducharme and Bouchard are the best candidates available or the best Francophone candidates available though, and the Habs have earned that doubt being cast over them. For my part, Bergevin needs to do a lot more than this. Landing Tavares would be great, but more realistically, he has to show more of an appreciation for youth and skill over pluggers and attitude/grit, and his end of year press conference suggests he hasn't learned that lesson yet. I'm still afraid he will trade Galchenyuk for a poor return and that he will try to add veterans rather than dealing the likes of Weber or Price or so on for high picks and NHL-ready prospects. You want a 1C? That's the type of move you need to make.

52 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The moves seem to be headed in the right direction. I still wonder if Ducharme and Bouchard are the best candidates available or the best Francophone candidates available though, and the Habs have earned that doubt being cast over them. For my part, Bergevin needs to do a lot more than this. Landing Tavares would be great, but more realistically, he has to show more of an appreciation for youth and skill over pluggers and attitude/grit, and his end of year press conference suggests he hasn't learned that lesson yet. I'm still afraid he will trade Galchenyuk for a poor return and that he will try to add veterans rather than dealing the likes of Weber or Price or so on for high picks and NHL-ready prospects. You want a 1C? That's the type of move you need to make.

Agreed! :6280:

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Totally agree.  Right now I have a sense of optimism with regards to some of our young players and some of our new draft picks because i dont feel like they'll be mishandled as we've seen for 6 years - but we still have to fix the huge holes in our main roster.  

Like you, i worry we will trade futures for a prayer.  And why wouldn't we?  MB has to know he has probably one year to impress.  Does he trade, one of our vets for NYI's 1st round picks who almost certainly wont help this year - and get fired - or does he trade Galchenyuk for Toews who will make us better for a couple of years?

Its why, quite apart from the fact that I dont think he can build a winner, that I wanted MB gone:  Even if he had an epiphany and is now capable of building a team, he's got to be in damage control mode meaning watch for bad long-term trades. 

38 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Totally agree.  Right now I have a sense of optimism with regards to some of our young players and some of our new draft picks because i dont feel like they'll be mishandled as we've seen for 6 years - but we still have to fix the huge holes in our main roster.  

Like you, i worry we will trade futures for a prayer.  And why wouldn't we?  MB has to know he has probably one year to impress.  Does he trade, one of our vets for NYI's 1st round picks who almost certainly wont help this year - and get fired - or does he trade Galchenyuk for Toews who will make us better for a couple of years?

Its why, quite apart from the fact that I dont think he can build a winner, that I wanted MB gone:  Even if he had an epiphany and is now capable of building a team, he's got to be in damage control mode meaning watch for bad long-term trades. 

That's the reality unfortunately, we're stuck with MB and he will never learn.

Stanley Cup begone until we are rid of Molson & Bergevin.

The Canadiens have confirmed that assistant coaches Nick Carrière and Donald Dufresne will not be back next year and that Larry Carrière has been removed as GM of the Rocket.

Larry Carrière is very close to Bergevin, however, he'll stay within the Canadiens organization as a special senior advisor.

Joël Bouchard will have total freedom when it comes to choosing his new assistant coaches and it looks like he'll have a hand in player decisions as well even if the GM position will remain vacant at the moment. 

On 5/17/2018 at 0:11 PM, maas_art said:

Ya.  What is frustrating is that it looks like we finally have great coaches at every level of the organization...but way too late.  Imagine this group in Montreal and Laval back in say 2013-14 ?  How many of our failed prospects would be NHL regulars now?  Would we have made boneheaded moves because our coaching staff couldnt handle our stars?   

I would've liked to have seen what guys like Bouchard and Ducharme could've done for a Nathan Beaulieu.