The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Free Agent Frenzy

I would be shocked if we were not  all in on July 1st. If MB wants any chance of keeping his job, he has to spend right up to the cap and hope for the best. I can see money be thrown at Stastny and Neal. Trading Max for a left defense and we might get lucky. If he does nothing as he tends to do, then he should be gone by Christmas.

Do not trade any draft picks and grab what he can.. 

2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

I would be shocked if we were not  all in on July 1st. If MB wants any chance of keeping his job, he has to spend right up to the cap and hope for the best. I can see money be thrown at Stastny and Neal. Trading Max for a left defense and we might get lucky. If he does nothing as he tends to do, then he should be gone by Christmas.

Do not trade any draft picks and grab what he can.. 

With Molson in charge it ain`t happening unfortunately. MB is here to stay regardless IMO.

25 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

With Molson in charge it ain`t happening unfortunately. MB is here to stay regardless IMO.

Yeah... I get the impression that Molson is comfortable with Bergevin managing the team through this rebuild. I mean, we can pretend it isn't happening, but... it is. If Molson was really putting pressure on Bergevin to turn it around we'd have drafted Zadina, no?

35 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

https://www.tsn.ca/habs-showing-interest-for-d-ouellet-1.1125883

Sounds about right for MB's philosophy of "you can't have enough 3rd pairing D"

Lol. its getting ridiculous back there.

Right D:
Weber - Petry - Juulsen - Lernout
Looks good, strong through 3 pairings, one reserve. 

Left D:
Mete - Reilly - Alzner - Schlemko - Benn - Valiev - Sklenicka - Moravcik
Thats 8 guys (and not even including a single guy like Taormina, any signed UFA or someone who may surprise at training camp).

SO MANY LEFT D - and yet non3 are close to top pairing quality right now.  Maybe Mete can pull it off with a healthy Weber? But if you did that then you have Reilly or Alzner or Benn pulling 2nd pairing duties.   The problem is no matter how you slice it we're going to have multiple left D playing above their weight class.    People talk about the horrible season Benn had last year but EOTP had a very interesting the article the other day showing his metrics were about the same the last 2 years. The difference is that 2 years ago he played on the 3rd pair and last year he played 1st and 2nd pairing for much of the season.  Play a guy above his skill level & watch them fail. 

Ive said before that Id probably take a floater on DeHaan or Hickey since I think both would probably be the defacto best LD we have.  But anyone else? no point.  If you can trade someone and bring in a quality D then thats fine but there are no UFA besides those 2 that make any sense on the blueline.  We need more LD quality Marc, not quantity. 

According to the Bleacher Report, JT has narrowed it down to 6 teams. Guess who is not one of them? New York, Toronto, Boston, San Jose, Dallas and Tampa Bay, are in the mix. There were previous reports that some teams, namely the Vegas Golden Knights and Nashville Predators, were in the running through phone conversations, but that doesn’t appear to be the case any longer.

1 minute ago, kinot-2 said:

According to the Bleacher Report, JT has narrowed it down to 6 teams. Guess who is not one of them? New York, Toronto, Boston, San Jose, Dallas and Tampa Bay, are in the mix. There were previous reports that some teams, namely the Vegas Golden Knights and Nashville Predators, were in the running through phone conversations, but that doesn’t appear to be the case any longer.

You're late to the party.  That list was announced on Sunday.  Vegas was a surprise but the rest all indicate a good shot at the cup and most are very low tax bracket teams. Apparently Bergevin expressed interest but JT did not reciprocate. 

Id still put the odds at 80% he resigns with NY.

Just now, maas_art said:

You're late to the party.  That list was announced on Sunday.  Vegas was a surprise but the rest all indicate a good shot at the cup and most are very low tax bracket teams. Apparently Bergevin expressed interest but JT did not reciprocate. 

Id still put the odds at 80% he resigns with NY.

That would be me alright. i was in Indiana on that day. :(

7 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

John Moore,,,,, LD, 6'3", 210#, 1.87 MIl.? 

JVR, (to replace Max) LW, 6'3", 217#.  ??? Mil. prolly around 6-7 mil. 

Go ahead,,,,,, shoot me down :P .

One year wonder that you know will crash back down to earth as soon as he puts on the jersey.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Lol. its getting ridiculous back there.

Right D:
Weber - Petry - Juulsen - Lernout
Looks good, strong through 3 pairings, one reserve. 

Left D:
Mete - Reilly - Alzner - Schlemko - Benn - Valiev - Sklenicka - Moravcik
Thats 8 guys (and not even including a single guy like Taormina, any signed UFA or someone who may surprise at training camp).

SO MANY LEFT D - and yet non3 are close to top pairing quality right now.  Maybe Mete can pull it off with a healthy Weber? But if you did that then you have Reilly or Alzner or Benn pulling 2nd pairing duties.   The problem is no matter how you slice it we're going to have multiple left D playing above their weight class.    People talk about the horrible season Benn had last year but EOTP had a very interesting the article the other day showing his metrics were about the same the last 2 years. The difference is that 2 years ago he played on the 3rd pair and last year he played 1st and 2nd pairing for much of the season.  Play a guy above his skill level & watch them fail. 

Ive said before that Id probably take a floater on DeHaan or Hickey since I think both would probably be the defacto best LD we have.  But anyone else? no point.  If you can trade someone and bring in a quality D then thats fine but there are no UFA besides those 2 that make any sense on the blueline.  We need more LD quality Marc, not quantity. 

Year 7 of MB's plan is now obvious. Run 3 pairings of sub par defence and toss in a 4th line of overpaid underperforming leftovers. Alzner Schlemko and Benn

11 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Didn't he play with Galchenyuk in Junior? The Yotes should sign him maybe...

Did you read about Jordan Subban being a prospect for the Rocket...

13 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Didn't he play with Galchenyuk in Junior? The Yotes should sign him maybe...

Did you read about Jordan Subban being a prospect for the Rocket...

Just read it. A few years ago, PK said that JS was better than he (PK) was. 

On 6/27/2018 at 10:07 AM, maas_art said:

With July 1 coming, I guess its time to start a thread.   

What do you think MB should do?  What do you think he will do? 

Discuss. 

As some have said, he SHOULD quit.

What he will do?   Despite some who dreamed of Tavares signing here, I said a few times there was zero chance Tavares even considered us.   And it appears that is the case.     Others are banking on Stastny ...  I think the Jets are going to try hard and resign him.    If they don't and somehow we land him, my response is big deal.     His career stats are 0.75ppg .. averaging 0.66 the last three years.   Sure  he had a great playoffs, but he is not the messiah the Habs need.

What the Habs need to do is tank and tank hard for 2-3 years ... and hope for a 1st overall 2019 or 2020 (Jack Hughes or Alexis Lafreniere).   Horde as many picks as they can those 3 years ... trade Weber, Price, Paccioretty for prospects and picks.    Stock up on a good solid group of young talent that might be ready in 4-5 years time.    

It's been 25 years of futility, of 'tweaking' and delusion that the rosters we've had were anywhere close to being contenders.      Making any kind of major splash on the UFA market this year simply prolongs that agony and insanity.