Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: What to do with Pacioretty?


BigTed3
 Share

If these are your only options, which of the following would you choose aas GM?  

27 members have voted

  1. 1. If these are your only options, which of the following would you choose aas GM?

    • Trade Pacioretty for a 2019 2nd rounder, 2019 3rd rounder, and 2020 2nd rounder
    • Re-sign Pacioretty for 7 years at 7.5M
    • Let him play out his current contract and try to trade him at the deadline


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think he'll take 7 x 7M at this point. But agreed, he wants stability on a long-term deal and he wants to be in a location of choice. Maybe he wants a long-term NTC here. Maybe he'd accept going to New York or Florida or Tampa or something like that. I don't believe he won't negotiate in season, I think that's just a ploy from Walsh to force the Habs' hand. If the Habs present a sign-and-trade whereby Pacioretty gets himself 8 years at 7M or 7 years at 7.5M and it's to a team he'd be okay with signing with, I think he'd take that security and move on. At the end of the day, I think he likes Montreal and I think he especially loves being captain of the team and doesn't want to give that up, so I think he's sign right away if we offered him 7 years at 7+M. I think he's less certain about sticking around with MB here and I wonder if MB has threatened to take away the captaincy and whether that's caused any of the rift.

heres the $60,000 question....

....do OTHER teams want max at 7x7.

if LA did, they could have upped their offer of 6x6. they did not

it also seems to me that us not getting the return we wanted at the deadline would indicate that other teams were not so in love with max, willing to pay rental prices instead of long term commitment prices. 

yes you can pull up his comparables and say thats fair market value, but im talking about him and his current perception around the league.

I feel that if we sign him long term, MB gets this notion that now that he has term I can revert my ask back to whatever it was he was trying for last year, which the consensus was that it was too much, and other teams say yeah you can keep him. and then we have yet another aging and declining player with an albatross contract, securing the team to look exactly like it does now for the next 5 years at least. That was the nightmare scenario I actually outlined on here in a post a long time ago. 

Dont do it. just trade him for whatever you can get and lets move on. We take a major L, but hey thats money in the fire MB bank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

heres the $60,000 question....

....do OTHER teams want max at 7x7.

if LA did, they could have upped their offer of 6x6. they did not

it also seems to me that us not getting the return we wanted at the deadline would indicate that other teams were not so in love with max, willing to pay rental prices instead of long term commitment prices. 

yes you can pull up his comparables and say thats fair market value, but im talking about him and his current perception around the league.

I feel that if we sign him long term, MB gets this notion that now that he has term I can revert my ask back to whatever it was he was trying for last year, which the consensus was that it was too much, and other teams say yeah you can keep him. and then we have yet another aging and declining player with an albatross contract, securing the team to look exactly like it does now for the next 5 years at least. That was the nightmare scenario I actually outlined on here in a post a long time ago. 

Dont do it. just trade him for whatever you can get and lets move on. We take a major L, but hey thats money in the fire MB bank.

Its definitely the big question.

I think there are teams who would do 5 x 7M  I am not sure if any would do 7 x 7M   AND lose assets.   7X7 as UFA next year? Absolutely possible.  I think Max might sign for a shorter term (or less money) in florida but that severely hampers our selling power since they would have little competition.  

 

I have a feeling we're going to see an end to this very soon. I just dont see MB going into the season with Patches as captain.  Every time i go to tsn.ca I expect to see the headlines... 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right, I think as a free agent, someone will offer him 7 x7M, maybe more. A trade makes it harder because teams are thinking about the contract AND the assets they have to give up. Pacioretty is a more valuable commodity than Evander Kane, who has loads of baggage. He's a more valuable commodity than the older Rick Nash, who fetched a great package at the trade deadline. And if you believe all the NHL insiders, most hockey people think Pacioretty has value and will rebound after a bad season last year. The problem right now isn't what teams think of Pacioretty, it's what teams think of Bergevin. They all know MB has painted himself in a corner, has mistreated his players, and has a guy who's not happy with management. So they're holding him hostage to that. That's why I've suggested the best possible solution for the Habs is to send Bergevin to the curb. Replace him with a guy like Timmins or Brisebois or whoever else and then suddenly teams don't know if we'll keep Pacioretty or what we think his value is. Right now, everyone knows our cards, and it's pretty darn hard to win a poker hand when everyone knows what you're holding. Ditch Bergevin, and Pacioretty's trade value instantly goes up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Right, I think as a free agent, someone will offer him 7 x7M, maybe more. A trade makes it harder because teams are thinking about the contract AND the assets they have to give up. Pacioretty is a more valuable commodity than Evander Kane, who has loads of baggage. He's a more valuable commodity than the older Rick Nash, who fetched a great package at the trade deadline. And if you believe all the NHL insiders, most hockey people think Pacioretty has value and will rebound after a bad season last year. The problem right now isn't what teams think of Pacioretty, it's what teams think of Bergevin. They all know MB has painted himself in a corner, has mistreated his players, and has a guy who's not happy with management. So they're holding him hostage to that. That's why I've suggested the best possible solution for the Habs is to send Bergevin to the curb. Replace him with a guy like Timmins or Brisebois or whoever else and then suddenly teams don't know if we'll keep Pacioretty or what we think his value is. Right now, everyone knows our cards, and it's pretty darn hard to win a poker hand when everyone knows what you're holding. Ditch Bergevin, and Pacioretty's trade value instantly goes up.

Patches value, if he remains unsigned, won't be at it's highest(which still won't be very much) until the trade deadline comes. If he signs before the season I can see him signing a contract, favourable to him, with an NTC. Either way we lose big time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point given an extension seems unlikely, I suspect we'll trade see him traded at the deadline. Teams seem more willing to pay up for a short-term rental than a player that can help them all year (part of this is cap space, but some of it is harder to explain).

While there's a risk that Max has a season similar to last year (which makes it harder to discount as an abbreviation), overall I'm okay with this strategy. There's a good chance he rebounds and increases his value, a trade-deadline deal is more likely to bring back picks & prospects rather than an unnecessary roster player we'd get in the offseason, and I don't really mind him being here this season (the constant speculation will be a bit annoying, but this season is going to be a mess anyways).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Graeme-1 said:

At this point given an extension seems unlikely, I suspect we'll trade see him traded at the deadline. Teams seem more willing to pay up for a short-term rental than a player that can help them all year (part of this is cap space, but some of it is harder to explain).

While there's a risk that Max has a season similar to last year (which makes it harder to discount as an abbreviation), overall I'm okay with this strategy. There's a good chance he rebounds and increases his value, a trade-deadline deal is more likely to bring back picks & prospects rather than an unnecessary roster player we'd get in the offseason, and I don't really mind him being here this season (the constant speculation will be a bit annoying, but this season is going to be a mess anyways).

The thing is, that if he rebounds, that would/might put us in the 8-10 range at the draft table. However, it would increase his trade value, and that' s what we want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Graeme-1 said:

At this point given an extension seems unlikely, I suspect we'll trade see him traded at the deadline. Teams seem more willing to pay up for a short-term rental than a player that can help them all year (part of this is cap space, but some of it is harder to explain).

While there's a risk that Max has a season similar to last year (which makes it harder to discount as an abbreviation), overall I'm okay with this strategy. There's a good chance he rebounds and increases his value, a trade-deadline deal is more likely to bring back picks & prospects rather than an unnecessary roster player we'd get in the offseason, and I don't really mind him being here this season (the constant speculation will be a bit annoying, but this season is going to be a mess anyways).

I think part of it is that by the deadline, teams KNOW whether they're a Cup contender or not. It's like asking you if you want a lottery ticket now for a 1 in 100 chance at winning the big prize or buying a lottery ticket in 4 months with a 1 in 10 chance. Which one are you going to pay more money for? Not the only factor, but I think that's one reason teams bump up their returns at deadline time...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think part of it is that by the deadline, teams KNOW whether they're a Cup contender or not. It's like asking you if you want a lottery ticket now for a 1 in 100 chance at winning the big prize or buying a lottery ticket in 4 months with a 1 in 10 chance. Which one are you going to pay more money for? Not the only factor, but I think that's one reason teams bump up their returns at deadline time...

Less moving parts too. For example, if I'm Nashville I'm not giving anything big for Pacioretty right now because there's a solid chance Tolvanen steps in and pots 25G on a line with Fiala and Turris and then maybe you can make smaller moves instead of buying a big ticket forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Less moving parts too. For example, if I'm Nashville I'm not giving anything big for Pacioretty right now because there's a solid chance Tolvanen steps in and pots 25G on a line with Fiala and Turris and then maybe you can make smaller moves instead of buying a big ticket forward.

The other factor is how injuries have affected their team. If a team is a contender but missing that piece due to injury, they'll want to fill that hole rather than see a successful season and opportunity go down the drain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2018 at 6:35 PM, Graeme-1 said:

At this point given an extension seems unlikely, I suspect we'll trade see him traded at the deadline. Teams seem more willing to pay up for a short-term rental than a player that can help them all year (part of this is cap space, but some of it is harder to explain).

While there's a risk that Max has a season similar to last year (which makes it harder to discount as an abbreviation), overall I'm okay with this strategy. There's a good chance he rebounds and increases his value, a trade-deadline deal is more likely to bring back picks & prospects rather than an unnecessary roster player we'd get in the offseason, and I don't really mind him being here this season (the constant speculation will be a bit annoying, but this season is going to be a mess anyways).

Well this post aged well ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...