The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: Your choice for Captain

H_T_L

Poll: Your choice for Captain  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your choice to replace Max?

I'd like to go with Gally but i'm skeptical about his long term endurance and still feel like we should have dealt him after that crazy year he had last season. I doubt his value will ever be higher and can't see him playing the style he uses much longer in this League. Weber would be a very short time solution ( a year or two) so I don't really see a fit there. Petry is a good guy but I don't view him as Captain material. Another Max IMO. Don't really see a long term fit on this roster so I went with nobody this season.

I like Weber a lot & I think in theory he might be our best captain but I also dont think he should remain with the team long-term and Id be trying to trade him if i was GM.

Gallagher is probably the next most logical choice but I do worry he's a bit hot-headed (although maybe we could use some of that fire).
I like a sleeper pick like Danault to be honest.  Gives great effort, is good at all facets of the game - a real Mike Keane type captain. 

I suspect we may see no captain this year or maybe no captain till Weber comes back.  I would still put odds on Weber being the guy since i believe MB plans to keep Shea long-term. 

I like the idea of having a captain. I don't like the idea of it being a scoring forward, because they almost all go on hot and cold streaks and will get sandblasted in the media and by fans the moment they go cold (the way Max was). So Gallagher's out for me. I'm okay with Weber as a short-term fix but I believe it's best for us to trade him within a year or two, so again, not an ideal situation to do this again so soon. For me, the ideal choice is Danault. I've said this before, but here's a hard-working two-way player. He shows up every night, he can score, but he's not reliant on scoring goals to be considered successful. He's enough of a vet to know the ropes but young enough to be a guy who can be here long-term. And it's a bonus that he speaks French, but not a necessity to me. I'd make him captain and surround him with veteran associates like Weber, Gallagher, and someone like Byron or Shaw (yes I think he's matured enough under Julien).

Nobody, just as they should have left it instead of going with MP a few years ago.

There was nothing wrong with the 4 "A"s they had, along with the "understanding" that Price was the de facto captain.

IMO, it just shows that MB and MT were out of touch with the room.

The NFL season has just started and it's interesting that they have captains, and no one (at least the media/fans) really cares who they are. The NHL seems pretty unique in the amount of stock given to a pretty meaningless distinction.

And given all the extra noise and media attention the captaincy generates in the NHL, it's no wonder it sounds like the Leafs may go yet another season without a captain (despite an obvious choice in Tavares).

The whole thing is interesting, but I also feel like I'm wasting my time even thinking about it. Name x captain, name y captain, name nobody captain, is it really going to change this season?

I guess if the team is dead set on naming one, Gallagher. Honestly, though, I'd rather they hold off for this year. It's bound to be a miserable one and I feel like being named captain would be giving someone a nice fat "Blame Me" target.

5 hours ago, BizarreReverend said:

I guess if the team is dead set on naming one, Gallagher. Honestly, though, I'd rather they hold off for this year. It's bound to be a miserable one and I feel like being named captain would be giving someone a nice fat "Blame Me" target.

So. What you're saying is, Bergevin is definitely going to force someone to be captain so they can have the "blame" target? :lol: Who's the next scapegoat going to be?

I like Gallagher and no one can question his heart. I actually like the idea of Danualt. He's a solid steady player that should be here a while and seems very level headed. I don't think a Captain should be a reactionary player. I don't think it has to be a fan favorite either. He's young enough to be around and even if one of the young centers coming up happen to turn into a star it would even be more help full. I've never thought it had to be "the star" player either. They usually end up with enough pressure to perform.

• H_T_L locked this topic