The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: Your choice for Captain

H_T_L

Poll: Your choice for Captain  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your choice to replace Max?

24 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Shea Weber is the new captain.

I think it was a foregone conclusion after MB said a week or two ago he basically will not trade Weber.  

Personally I think we should trade Weber for more youth to coincide with our rebuild but if that is not happening & Weber is a hab for the foreseeable future, im fine with the choice. 

1 minute ago, Manatee-X said:

Interesting that Plekanec wasn't given one of the A's, given his tenure and the fact that he was an assistant before.  Not sure if we can read anything into it, but maybe it's not a given that he's got cemented his spot in the lineup?

Well and I dont think he's in the long-term plans.   I wouldnt be surprised if he is the 3rd A while Weber is out in the meantime though. 

1 hour ago, Manatee-X said:

Interesting that Plekanec wasn't given one of the A's, given his tenure and the fact that he was an assistant before.  Not sure if we can read anything into it, but maybe it's not a given that he's got cemented his spot in the lineup?

Perhaps this will be his last year as a Hab. I could see him getting traded at the deadline again... except he won't be back in 2019-2020.

If you buy into MB's philosophy that  Weber > Subban because of all the "intangibles" then i guess making him captain is a crucial part of that.  According to Marc, "Weber is more than just a player on the ice."  If thats the case, making him captain is the only way to truly see these 'intangibles,' right?   (I am NOT saying I agree with this, just saying if this is MB's reasoning then its unprovable unless Shea gets a chance to lead, which now he has.)

I know people will say that true leaders do so without a letter - and I do agree to a point - but lets remember that Weber is the prototypical hockey player; a good soldier.  If he disagreed with how Pacioretty was leading, there's no way he would have stepped in to 'ruffle feathers' - it just not in his nature in the 'unwritten rules' of hockey (read: antiquated thinking).

So at the end of the day, I am not convinced it will make much difference but it could prove another nail in MB's coffin: that once again he overvalued things like leadership and character (trading away the more skilled player to acquire those) and that in itself may be worth it. 

when you trade your best player in over a decade for an older, slower, less talented player and try to justify it by citing his "leadership", you should probably.........accept that you badly misread the landscape of the team at the time, and the prudent thing to do is acknowledge your mistake, flip the aging player for future assets and continue the youth movement in hopes of getting competitive again as soon as possible and opening a new window with a new young core?

No! you double down and make him captain!! We still might win a cup  this year! anything can happen!

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Not against the Weber choice. A million times better than if they had given it to Gallagher. As I've noted, I wonder about Weber's ability to display passion/enthusiasm on the ice, but I do think he's respected in the room.

Sorry, Ted, but, IMHO, Gally has proven his worth on and off the ice, both in his work ethic and his ability to communicate with the media. No, he doesn't speak French, but, neither does Weber. 

JM2C. 

14 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Sorry, Ted, but, IMHO, Gally has proven his worth on and off the ice, both in his work ethic and his ability to communicate with the media. No, he doesn't speak French, but, neither does Weber. 

JM2C. 

I don't doubt Gallagher's passion and work ethic. My knock on him is his immaturity. Hard to be a team leader until he fixes that, and I certainly would have worried about Gallagher drawing the respect of on-ice officials. The French is a non-thing for me, I couldn't care either way.

10 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I don't doubt Gallagher's passion and work ethic. My knock on him is his immaturity. Hard to be a team leader until he fixes that, and I certainly would have worried about Gallagher drawing the respect of on-ice officials. The French is a non-thing for me, I couldn't care either way.

This. especially the bold. 

There is no one - aside from Price - on our team that commands more respect from Officials or the opposition than Weber.

The role of Captain may be mostly ceremonial these days but if you've got a player like Weber you'd be crazy not to use him in that capacity. 

26 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

13 minutes ago, maas_art said:

This. especially the bold. 

There is no one - aside from Price - on our team that commands more respect from Officials or the opposition than Weber.

The role of Captain may be mostly ceremonial these days but if you've got a player like Weber you'd be crazy not to use him in that capacity. 

So, we agree to disagree. :)

• H_T_L locked this topic