The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs acquire D Olofsson from Wild

The Montreal Canadiens have acquired defenceman Gustav Olofsson  from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for forward William Bitten.

Olofsson, 23, cleared waivers earlier on Wednesday. He had eight assists in 41 games with the Wild last season, posting an even record.

A second-round draft pick of the Wild in 2013, Olofsson will report to the AHL's Laval Rocket. He is the second defenceman acquired by the Canadiens this week, along with Brett Kulak from the Calgary Flames. Kulak was also assigned to the Rocket.

Bitten, 20, was a third-round pick of the Canadiens in the 2016 NHL Draft.

He scored 20 goals and posted 64 points in 62 games with the OHL's Hamilton Bulldogs last season.

Interesting. i liked Bitten but it did look like we were not having much room for him.

Olofsson looks solid. Still projecting as a top 4 i believe - i remember having some interest in him a little while back when we were looking at potential trades.   Older than Bitten obviously but better suited to our needs at this point. 

from Elite Prospects :

Olofsson is a smart two-way defenseman with good size and overall skills. Skates well and plays the body. Quite unspectacular and prefers to make the easy play. Good positioning. (EP, 2013) 

oh and from another article :

The 23-year-old is dealing with a shoulder issue at the moment and it’s not known if he is even healthy enough to be cleared to play just yet.

And yet another article :

His professional career got off to a terrible start in his first season at Iowa, as he injured his shoulder in the first game of the season (his third such shoulder injury of his young career), which required surgery and caused him to miss the entire year of hockey

It’s always disappointing when a highly touted prospect fizzles out early, but I would hazard a prediction that we are looking at that happening to Gustav Olofsson. The North American game appears to be too physical for the undersized Swede to withstand.

Just awesome ... so 4 shoulder injuries now ... and from the sounds of the Wild's followers he's not panning out 

21 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

don't care too much about the shoulder issues if the meds pass him. i like the kid i feel he is a good player i have seen him skate he could do two laps around the rink to Alzner's one. he is young and will heal and we have real coaches now to help him get on track.

Yeah the loss of Bitten isnt really huge either.  He's had a couple of disappointing development seasons.  Better to move him now than sit on him like we did with McCarron, Leblanc etc -  maybe Bergevin is learning from his mistakes.

Interestingly a year or so ago when Olofsson and Reilly were both with the Wild, they were arguably fighting for the same spot on the roster.  This is from an old article comparing the two (on the athletic - by Evan Sporer):

"If you’re comparing the shot and scoring-chance metrics, Olofsson comes out looking worlds better than Reilly. His score-adjusted Corsi is nearly eight points higher (48.25 vs. 40.34), expected-goals for percentage is almost 12 points higher (55.23 vs. 43.40), and his scoring chances for percentage is also miles ahead (50.58 vs. 42.07).

Aside from those Boudreau assessments — the good stick and skating — Olofsson has great spacial awareness, and it helps him often be in the right position at the right time."

Considering how good Reilly has looked in his short tenure with us, if Olofsson can be as good or even better, we may have found another solid prospect.   Obviously his health is the big question mark at this point.

Have to think there's more moves in the works.  Kulak and Olofsson played 112 NHL games (combined) last season - i cant imagine MB brought them in just for Laval. I think there's a good chance we move, waive or do something with Benn and/or Alzner and one or both of these guys gets called up. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Interestingly a year or so ago when Olofsson and Reilly were both with the Wild, they were arguably fighting for the same spot on the roster.  This is from an old article comparing the two (on the athletic - by Evan Sporer):

"If you’re comparing the shot and scoring-chance metrics, Olofsson comes out looking worlds better than Reilly. His score-adjusted Corsi is nearly eight points higher (48.25 vs. 40.34), expected-goals for percentage is almost 12 points higher (55.23 vs. 43.40), and his scoring chances for percentage is also miles ahead (50.58 vs. 42.07).

Aside from those Boudreau assessments — the good stick and skating — Olofsson has great spacial awareness, and it helps him often be in the right position at the right time."

Considering how good Reilly has looked in his short tenure with us, if Olofsson can be as good or even better, we may have found another solid prospect.   Obviously his health is the big question mark at this point.

Have to think there's more moves in the works.  Kulak and Olofsson played 112 NHL games (combined) last season - i cant imagine MB brought them in just for Laval. I think there's a good chance we move, waive or do something with Benn and/or Alzner and one or both of these guys gets called up. 

I sure hope we make some more moves! Alzner is lost on the ice and Benn is a shadow of what he was when he got here!

Okay with the move in general. But I wonder how telling it is that Bergevin is accumulating LHD. Does it mean he's trying to move out Alzner and/or Benn? Does it means Schlemko is hurt pretty badly? Does it mean they just went through camp and deemed the two Czech guys and Lernout and Despres and so on were flops and that they had to create new options as call-ups? Time will tell.

29 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Okay with the move in general. But I wonder how telling it is that Bergevin is accumulating LHD. Does it mean he's trying to move out Alzner and/or Benn? Does it means Schlemko is hurt pretty badly? Does it mean they just went through camp and deemed the two Czech guys and Lernout and Despres and so on were flops and that they had to create new options as call-ups? Time will tell.

Hopefully, coupled with the fact that regardless of whether they are playing or not,  guys like Benn and Alzner are not in the top 4 means we're finally moving in the right direction.

Im not sure if this is all on Richardson but if it is - man that was a good hire.  Finally someone who can assess talent & not just play guys based on how MB has doled out contracts. 

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah the loss of Bitten isnt really huge either.  He's had a couple of disappointing development seasons.  Better to move him now than sit on him like we did with McCarron, Leblanc etc -  maybe Bergevin is learning from his mistakes.

Didn't Bitten play junior last year with Hamilton?

24 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Any reason why the Habs couldn't have just picked up Olofsson on waivers?

If they had claimed him off waivers as he was being demoted, they would have had to keep him on their NHL roster. There's also a small fee you pay for claiming a player off waivers, which isn't the biggest point but which you avoid by trading for him.

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

If they had claimed him off waivers as he was being demoted, they would have had to keep him on their NHL roster. There's also a small fee you pay for claiming a player off waivers, which isn't the biggest point but which you avoid by trading for him.

They'd also lose their current waiver order, which is high due to last years standings

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

If they had claimed him off waivers as he was being demoted, they would have had to keep him on their NHL roster. 

Yup. Same with Kulak.  I have a feeling that they plan on promoting at least one of these guys (they played over 120 nhl games combined last year) but arent sure which yet, or when - depending upon what they do with Alzner. 

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yup. Same with Kulak.  I have a feeling that they plan on promoting at least one of these guys (they played over 120 nhl games combined last year) but arent sure which yet, or when - depending upon what they do with Alzner. 

Yeah, I do think someone will get a call at some point, but I'd venture they want to move Benn or Alzner or both first, and even then, Schlemko is due back and the Habs seem pretty high on Schlemko, so they might just want insurance until he's healthy. CJ and MB have both said they liked Schlemko's camp, so not sure where they see Kulak and Olofsson relative to DS.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

CJ and MB have both said they liked Schlemko's camp, so not sure where they see Kulak and Olofsson relative to DS.

I did think he was a lot better than he was all last year - and i remember him being pretty good for his stint in NJ - but man he was so awful last year it will take a lot of convincing for me to believe he's a capable top 6 dman.

• H_T_L locked this topic