The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game #3 ~ Los Angeles Kings @ Montreal Canadiens. Thursday, October 11th, 2018.

Clues

If I have to listen to Johnson and that other guy all year it is going to feel like we're losing even when we're winning.Will likely watch without the sound. Johnson doesn't seem to know what he is trying to say half the time. Can we trade our announcers? NHL set a record changing a goal call 3 times tonight. The final call doesn't matter but  in all my years of watching hockey that is a joke. On top of that it takes the longest time to make the call after it has already been called both ways once already. Never really complain about officiating but these guys should either be suspended or sent to the minors. Unbelievably bad tonight. Habs played good.

8 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

If I have to listen to Johnson and that other guy all year it is going to feel like we're losing even when we're winning.Will likely watch without the sound. Johnson doesn't seem to know what he is trying to say half the time. Can we trade our announcers? NHL set a record changing a goal call 3 times tonight. The final call doesn't matter but  in all my years of watching hockey that is a joke. On top of that it takes the longest time to make the call after it has already been called both ways once already. Never really complain about officiating but these guys should either be suspended or sent to the minors. Unbelievably bad tonight. Habs played good.

Those goalie interference calls are just confusing but that's at a league level. The NHL just hasn't made consistent rulings on what is/isn't allowed, with the most egregious being that time Price was dragged into the corner with no interference on review.

Last night, I was more upset about the fact Doughty wasn't thrown out of the game for almost breaking a guy's neck a couple of minutes in. We would have had a two-man advantage and a long PP and Kempe never would have scored the first goal. Game changing lack of a decision from Skilliter.

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Those goalie interference calls are just confusing but that's at a league level. The NHL just hasn't made consistent rulings on what is/isn't allowed, with the most egregious being that time Price was dragged into the corner with no interference on review.

Last night, I was more upset about the fact Doughty wasn't thrown out of the game for almost breaking a guy's neck a couple of minutes in. We would have had a two-man advantage and a long PP and Kempe never would have scored the first goal. Game changing lack of a decision from Skilliter.

The Doughty hit was the one where I thought okay they can only get better after missing that call. Apparently I was wrong. Hard to watch a team play so hard and have officials totally negate any of the benefits that should come from that hard work. After this little rant on officiating I hope I am good for another five years. 

21 hours ago, habby67 said:

I know Price isn't playing like an all star right now but as usual he would have to pitch a no hitter to give them a chance and even at that they may go into OT tied 0-0.

I actually think he's been playing very well.  Sure there's been a little rust but he looks better already than he did all year last year, he is making plays look easy and he looks focused. 

I dont think Price is our problem at all right now. Actually i think our only real problem is a lack of elite game-breakers.  We have great goaltending, a solid system, good team depth but really need 2 - 3 players to step up & become the new offensive leaders of this team.  Its possible that guys like Kot, Domi or Drouin can do that but right now nothing is set.  Gallagher plays his heart out but is as best an awesome complementary player. 

21 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I actually think he's been playing very well.  Sure there's been a little rust but he looks better already than he did all year last year, he is making plays look easy and he looks focused. 

I dont think Price is our problem at all right now. Actually i think our only real problem is a lack of elite game-breakers.  We have great goaltending, a solid system, good team depth but really need 2 - 3 players to step up & become the new offensive leaders of this team.  Its possible that guys like Kot, Domi or Drouin can do that but right now nothing is set.  Gallagher plays his heart out but is as best an awesome complementary player. 

I wholeheartedly disagree that Price is not our problem right now.

Price, along with Weber & Alzner should be gone and traded ASAP IMO.

Reason being,

1: We should not rely so heavily on goal-tenting as we are doing in today's NHL.

2: That albatross of a contract of $10.5 million paralyzes us from acquiring young key players and future prospects.

3: Price is not in his prime anymore and will not shine as he did before.

4: We have reasonably good goal-tending from Lindgren, Niemi and our prospects.

As for Weber and Alzner it's pretty much the same argument as in points 2 & 3 IMO.

Price is not our problem as long as we score 4 goals a game, I hope he picks up his game, but with his contract he should be lights out every night, so far it's a horrible contract extension

With what he's making people should never worry about his game 

1 hour ago, jwlk said:

Price is not our problem as long as we score 4 goals a game, I hope he picks up his game, but with his contract he should be lights out every night, so far it's a horrible contract extension

With what he's making people should never worry about his game 

Price has not lost a game of his own fault yet this year. The Toronto O.T. loss was a blown back check by Lehkonen. The L.A. loss was a team/reffing loss no matter what goalie was in the way the team played and the reffing was they were going to lose. Run and gun hockey is great for teams like the Leafs, but really how many teams have that much talent up front. We are not built that way we cannot expect Price and the forward group to do everything at some point we need to have a solid defense to assist with net protection and puck movement. Even the Leafs know that they can't rely solely on goal scoring to win games and contend for the cup that's why they are shopping for one or two dmen. 

21 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Price has not lost a game of his own fault yet this year. The Toronto O.T. loss was a blown back check by Lehkonen. The L.A. loss was a team/reffing loss no matter what goalie was in the way the team played and the reffing was they were going to lose. Run and gun hockey is great for teams like the Leafs, but really how many teams have that much talent up front. We are not built that way we cannot expect Price and the forward group to do everything at some point we need to have a solid defense to assist with net protection and puck movement. Even the Leafs know that they can't rely solely on goal scoring to win games and contend for the cup that's why they are shopping for one or two dmen. 

Price sucks, he's not worth that contract, how does his save percentage and goals against have to show he's not the same goalie he once was

1 minute ago, jwlk said:

Price sucks, he's not worth that contract, how does his save percentage and goals against have to show he's not the same goalie he once was

IF his defense was worth salt his gaa and save % would be better. I really don't understand the logic of blaming the goal tenders and Captians for all of a club's problems. Yes the goalies job is to stop the puck but if the team is getting 2, 3 or 4 rebound chances how many do you expect a goalie to stop. Also the three games that the habs have played have been against 3 of the most offensively gifted teams in the league and there is not a goalie who ever played the game that could have had a better outcome with the defense that Price has in front of him. Besides the way your subscribing Prices play over 3 games you make it sound like they were blowouts while in fact they were all close games with only the 3-0 L.A. loss as the worst game played. Have you actually checked out the gaa ans save % so far this year Prices is 2.32 gaa and .909 save % 11th overall. That being said look at Holtby's .907% And 2.98 gas good for 19th overall and Anderson of the Leafs is .893% and 3.28 gaa 22nd overall how much better do you want Price to play he is not superman you know

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

IF his defense was worth salt his gaa and save % would be better. I really don't understand the logic of blaming the goal tenders and Captians for all of a club's problems. Yes the goalies job is to stop the puck but if the team is getting 2, 3 or 4 rebound chances how many do you expect a goalie to stop. Also the three games that the habs have played have been against 3 of the most offensively gifted teams in the league and there is not a goalie who ever played the game that could have had a better outcome with the defense that Price has in front of him. Besides the way your subscribing Prices play over 3 games you make it sound like they were blowouts while in fact they were all close games with only the 3-0 L.A. loss as the worst game played. Have you actually checked out the gaa ans save % so far this year Prices is 2.32 gaa and .909 save % 11th overall. That being said look at Holtby's .907% And 2.98 gas good for 19th overall and Anderson of the Leafs is .893% and 3.28 gaa 22nd overall how much better do you want Price to play he is not superman you know

Great comment Campabee82. No goalie can play well with the kind of defense the Habs have in front of him. The whole notion of depending on Price to steal games has gone far enough. Blame it on our lousy GM. No comment about the owner.

• BigTed3 locked and unpinned this topic