The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mon, Nov 5 7:00 PM ET Montreal @ New York Islanders MSG+ 2, TSN2, RDS

kinot-2

TONIGHT THE HABS TRAVEL TO BROOKLYN, NY. TO TAKE ON THE (NO LONGER DOORMATS), ISLANDERS.

7:00 PM est. 

NO LINE-UP CHANGES FOR TONIGHT, EXCEPT FOR NIEMI WILL GUARD THE NET TONIGHT. 

Isles are 3-1-1 at home and have a +12 goal differential. The Islanders will go for a sixth straight win when they host the Canadiens.  They've been especially good defensively on their recent run, allowing seven goals over their past five wins. The Canadiens are off to a better-than-expected start at 7-4-2 this season and have given the Isles fits in the recent past. The Islanders are 3-9-0 against the Habs over that span. 

Thomas Greiss will start in goal. Same lineup from Saturday. Thomas Greiss recorded a 35-save shutout on Saturday and has won three straight starts. Greiss has stopped 102 of 105 shots over his last three starts. The Islanders have won five straight games, all coming against Metropolitan Division opponents. 

The Islanders lead the Metropolitan Division with 17 points. 

The Canadiens are 3-3-0 in their last six games. Montreal has yet to lose consecutive games this season. 

The Canadiens are 14th in the NHL with 3.08 goals-per-game this season.  Montreal's power play is 26th in the NHL at 14.3%. The Habs penalty kill is 17th at 79.5%.

Monday is Men's Cancer Awareness night at Barclays Center, part of the Islanders Fight Cancer and Hockey with a Heart initiatives. 

Looking at team stats for FOW%, Isles sit tied for second worst at 45.4%

The team they are tied with? The Habs.

And a chuckle from the Isles boards: "Islanders vs Montreal ... a battle of eastern conference powerhouses. Let the good times roll."

Bold is mine. 

12 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Looking at team stats for FOW%, Isles sit tied for second worst at 45.4%

The team they are tied with? The Habs.

And a chuckle from the Isles boards: "Islanders vs Montreal ... a battle of eastern conference powerhouses. Let the good times roll."

Bold is mine. 

Bet in 2 or 3 years the bold will be true lol

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

As a side note, As Shea Weber has been rehabbing from off-season knee surgery, he’s been traveling with the Canadiens since the start of the season. He’s here in Brooklyn.

Yes, its interesting that I think he's using some of that famous leadership to try to be captain even though he's not on the ice.  Ive seen a few clips of him in the last week or 2 & his skating looks better than I expected at this stage.

15 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Islanders are famous for giving us fits. Not the way i remember it from the GDT report.

Yeah.  Hopefully we score early  (DOMI!!!)  and often. The Isles have a good record so far but its been based on very high shooting percentages and goalies playing over their (historically anyway) heads.   Their Corsi% is abysmal so we should have the opportunity to control play - as long as we dont underestimate them.  We still seem to have trouble getting up for games against teams that are perceived to be lower tier. 

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

They've been especially good defensively on their recent run, allowing seven goals over their past five wins. 

I'd challenge that statement. They have had good results defensively but they've actually been pretty shoddy defensively, they've been very lucky with amazing play from their 'tenders. 

25 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I'd challenge that statement. They have had good results defensively but they've actually been pretty shoddy defensively, they've been very lucky with amazing play from their 'tenders. 

We all know that a hot goalie can stymie a team or "puck luck", or goal posts, or any number of things that happen during a game. But at the end of the day, when you look at the stats for those 5 games, you see only the fact that they allowed 5 goals in those 7 GP, so you figure they they have shut down the opposing teams offence. 

24 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

This is a team we can beat if we play our game and everyone is on board. Tampa was always going to be tough.

Problem is that we've had too many water skiers and not enough rowers (entire 4th line + #92).

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

We all know that a hot goalie can stymie a team or "puck luck", or goal posts, or any number of things that happen during a game. But at the end of the day, when you look at the stats for those 5 games, you see only the fact that they allowed 5 goals in those 7 GP, so you figure they they have shut down the opposing teams offence. 

Right but thats the problem with looking at stat lines only. 

I didnt see all 5 games but i saw all of 1 and parts of 2 others. In the 5-6 periods I saw, they were badly outplayed & this is confirmed by their corsi which is 42.7% so far. That is an abysmal number (usually the worst team in the league is at least 45%).

They current have:

10.63 5v5 SH% (2nd highest since they started measuring it)
0.947 5v5 SV% (highest in the era)
105.3 PDO (highest in the era)

So the chances of them "coming down to earth" are incredibly high.  That said, with our luck, they will most likely do it next game, not tonight :( 

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Right but thats the problem with looking at stat lines only. 

I didnt see all 5 games but i saw all of 1 and parts of 2 others. In the 5-6 periods I saw, they were badly outplayed & this is confirmed by their corsi which is 42.7% so far. That is an abysmal number (usually the worst team in the league is at least 45%).

They current have:

10.63 5v5 SH% (2nd highest since they started measuring it)
0.947 5v5 SV% (highest in the era)
105.3 PDO (highest in the era)

So the chances of them "coming down to earth" are incredibly high.  That said, with our luck, they will most likely do it next game, not tonight :( 

:lol:

4 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

GO HABS GO!!!!

Lets get on them fast and early and get a couple early ones to work with! Tatar with two , Shaw and Lehk each with one . Habs 4-1!

A rather optimistic conclusion, Capt. :) , but I do hope you're right. 

• H_T_L locked this topic