The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Should Kotkaniemi Be Lent To The Finnish Juniors For The WJC

kinot-2

It's getting close to the World Juniors, and now we're faced with a "similar" quandary as we did last year with Mete'. On the one hand, I'd say let him go as he only has one chance (I think). On the other hand, it might delay his development with the Habs.

So, I'm on the fence. :P

6 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

It's getting close to the World Juniors, and now we're faced with a "similar" quandary as we did last year with Mete'. On the one hand, I'd say let him go as he only has one chance (I think). On the other hand, it might delay his development with the Habs.

So, I'm on the fence. :P

I wouldn't let him go. He's getting ice time as a center and succeeding here. No reason to send him to play against boys when he's doing fine against men.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I wouldn't let him go. He's getting ice time as a center and succeeding here. No reason to send him to play against boys when he's doing fine against men.

This.  Usually you lend a player off an NHL roster so that he can experience better competition at a higher level - ie, if he's in and out of your lineup, or playing limited minutes/roles.  Kotkaniemi is already among our best forwards & he's playing tougher minutes and assignments all the time. There's no reason to send him to the WJC and every reason not to. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

This.  Usually you lend a player off an NHL roster so that he can experience better competition at a higher level - ie, if he's in and out of your lineup, or playing limited minutes/roles.  Kotkaniemi is already among our best forwards & he's playing tougher minutes and assignments all the time. There's no reason to send him to the WJC and every reason not to. 

I agree with everything above, however I think the only reason you let him go is if he wants to go to represent his country. I don't like it from the Habs and his development stand point but if the kid wants to go I don't think making him stay is a wise choice either cause then he may resent the team and management for robbing him of his only chance to represent his country in the WJR.

• 4 weeks later...
  • H_T_L locked this topic