The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

8:00 PM ET Montreal @ Minnesota FS-N, FS-WI, TSN2, RDS, TSN 690

kinot-2

HABS ARE IN THE WILD (BUSH?) TONIGHT.

8:00 PM ET  Montreal @ Minnesota  FS-N, FS-WI, TSN2, RDS TSN 690 Radio

The Canadiens are coming off a 3-2 win in Chicago on Sunday and are riding a three-game winning streak. Tomas Tatar scored the winning goal with 1:17 to play and Montreal improved to 15-10-5. That’s good for the second wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference. The Wild was on the wrong end of a 7-2 count Friday in Edmonton and is on a two-game losing streak. Minnesota is three points out of a playoff spot in the Western Conference with a 15-12-2 record. Minnesota is 7-3 against the Canadiens at home and has won the teams’ last five meetings in St. Paul.

Canadiens head coach Claude Julien is still mulling his options, but said he is considering a start in goal for Antti Niemi. Carey Price has started the last seven games and, while he’s had a day of rest, it makes sense to use Niemi so he doesn’t get too rusty. Niemi, whose last game was Nov. 23 in Buffalo, has a 4-2-1 record this season with a 3.61 goals-against average and an .893 save percentage. One factor in the decision might be Price’s last game in Minnesota, a 6-3 loss last November.

The Canadiens took eight penalties and killed off seven of the Blackhawks’ power plays. Weber also scored a goal — his third in six games — and has five points and a plus-5 rating. He has been averaging more than 25 minutes a game.

Noah Juulsen is chomping at the bit, but he might have to wait until the team returns to Montreal to get back into the lineup. Julien had been targeting the Chicago game for Juulsen, but he decided to stick with the same lineup that swept Ottawa last week. Juulsen was a top-four defenceman before he suffered a facial fracture, but he’ll return to a third-pairing role, which means he’ll push out Jordie Benn or Mile Reilly. Reilly will probably in the lineup Tuesday because he’s from Minnesota and played for the Wild.

Goaltender Devan Dubnyk has struggled of late and that’s the major reason the Wild has lost five of its last six games. Dubnyk has a 1-5 record in his last seven appearances. Mikael Granlund leads the scoring parade with 11 goals and 28 points. Zach Parise has 24 points, including a team-high 13 goals. Mikko Koivu has 21 points, but Saku’s kid brother has missed the past two games with a lower-body injury and is listed as day-to-day. Veteran Eric Staal and defenceman Matt Dumba each have 10 goals.

Tale of the Tape

Canadiens Statistic Wild
15-10-5 Record 15-12-2
0-2-0 H2H Record (17-18) 2-0-0
53.7% (4th) Corsi-for pct. 50.3% (15th)
3.13 (12th) Goals per game 3.03 (16th)
3.13 (20th) Goals against per game 2.97 (16th)
13.6% (29th) PP% 22.1% (13th)
79.0% (18th) PK% 84.6% (2nd)
W∙L∙W∙W∙W Form L∙L∙W∙L∙L

• H_T_L pinned this topic

Keep up the momentum boys.

With Price playing like MVP Price and the forwards looking better than we've seen for maybe what, 20+ years,  we really only have two major concerns:

1) the PP ... which it seems like there's a glimmer of hope lately.  Definitely seen some signs of life the last little while.

2) the LD, specifically the #1LD spot. Fix that & get Juulsen back from injury and this defense will look worlds better. 

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Niemi starts, and Juulsen is in for Reilly. 

Glad Juulsen is in.  Sucks Reilly is out against his old team...

Our right side looks actually pretty darned good.  Weber-Petry-Juulsen

Now if only our left side wasnt a gong-show. 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Not surprised they chose Reilly to sit. May not have looked great in his last starts but the same can be said of a couple others. 

Indeed.  Schlemko probably played his best game in a habs uniform but Benn was brutal. I just dont get it - i mean Benn is never getting better than what you've got today.  Reilly is still young-ish and has had stretches of games where he's looked like a legit top 4 guy.  Why bench the guy with the better potential? 

45 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

That defensive zone "spin-o-rama" probably cost him his spot in the lineup for a few games.

Yah. I mean it was a dumb play but come on.  Im sure he knows it was dumb. Im sure he's not doing it again any time soon regardless of whether you dress him or not.  

Welcome to my world. I have a 14 year old great grandson. 

great grandson? Ok you got me beat gramps!!

Still time for a nap, and BTW,,,, we will be on delay. :(

I'll be teaching a figure drawing class so Im gonna miss the whole thing :( 

Just now, maas_art said:

great grandson? Ok you got me beat gramps!!

I'll be teaching a figure drawing class so Im gonna miss the whole thing :( 

Ya, kinda shocks me when I'm called grampa. 

Methinks you might "want" to miss this one.