The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

7:30 PM ET Carolina @ Montreal TSN2, RDS, FS-CR, TSN 690

kinot-2

TONITE THE CANES COME TO TOWN

7:30 PM ET  Carolina @ Montreal  TSN2, RDS, FS-CR, TSN 690

download (1).jpg

The matchup: This is the second of three games between these teams and the Hurricanes were 2-1 winners at the Bell Centre on Nov. 27. That was the night when defenceman Shea Weber returned to the lineup after nearly a year off and he showed no signs of rust. Unfortunately for the Canadiens, Carolina goaltender Curtis McElhinney was even better, stopping 48 shots to ensure the victory. Montreal is coming off a 7-1 loss in Minnesota Tuesday, while the Hurricanes lost 4-1 to the Toronto Maple Leafs in Raleigh.

Gut check: After Tuesday’s loss, feisty winger Brendan Gallagher said Thursday’s game can go either way. He said the Canadiens can crash or they can show some character with a comeback performance. The Minnesota game exposed the Canadiens’ lack of size up front and the Wild did a good job of not allowing the Habs to use their speed. While Montreal outshot Minnesota for most of the game, the Canadiens only had a couple of Grade A scoring chances and no odd-man rushes.

Special-team woes: The much-maligned Montreal penalty-kill was outstanding Sunday in Chicago, limiting the Blackhawks to one goal on eight opportunities. But it was back to normal vs. the Wild, which had four power plays and scored on all of them. The dreadful performance dropped the Montreal PK to 26th in the NHL with a success rate of 76 per cent. The power play is even worse, ranking 30th and converting at a 13.5-per-cent clip.

Shaw on a streak: Andrew Shaw picked up an assist on the Canadiens’ goal by Jeff Petry and he extended his consecutive-games scoring streak to five. He has one goal and four assists in that span. Shaw has 18 points in 27 games after scoring 20 points in 51 games last season. Petry is also putting up points. He has five goals and 22 points, and he’s ahead of last season when he had a career-high 42 points. On defence, he’s minus-3 but that’s much better than last season when he finished at minus-30.

The other guys: Look for McElhinney to make a return appearance for the Hurricanes, who are five points behind Montreal in the wild-card race with two games in hand. McElhinney, who missed a week with a lower-body injury, has a 7-3-1 record with a 2.36 goals-against average and a .920 save percentage. Sebastian Aho, a 21-year-old Finn, leads the Hurricanes in scoring with 28 points, including eight goals. Michael Ferland is the Hurricanes’ top goal-scorer with 11. Russian Andrei Svechnikov, who was the No. 2 overall pick in this year’s draft, has six goals and 13 points.

• H_T_L pinned this topic
1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Engels: David Schlemko looks like the odd-man out here. Mike Reilly coming back in next to Jeff Petry.

Looks like Ted gets his wish. Dlo is out. Peca is in. 

FINALLY.

This looks like we're almost icing the best roster available at this point.  Imagine that!

Mrazek is starting tonight.

Tale of the Tape

Canadiens Statistic Hurricanes
15-11-5 Record 13-12-4
0-1-0 H2H Record 1-0-0
53.8% (4th) Corsi-for pct. 57.2% (1st)
3.06 (14th) Goals per game 2.45 (29th)
3.26 (23rd) Goals against per game 2.76 (7th)
13.5% (30th) PP% 16.0% (23rd)
76.0% (26th) PK% 80.0% (14th)
L∙W∙W∙W∙L Form OT∙L∙L∙W∙L

Yes yes and yes to everything the Habs are doing tonight.

- Reilly in for Schlemko: check

- Peca in for Deslauriers: would be better if it had been Hudon in for Deslauriers, but Peca is at least an upgrade.

- Petry and Weber together on the 1st PP wave: something I've been suggesting since Weber returned. The PP needed a change-up of some sort.

It's a good start. Let's see how we fare.

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

apparently we are wearing our whites at home at the request of carolina's owner!?  tell this guy where he can go and how he can get there bergy ! come on man

Why does the Habs have to accommodate the trivial wishes of the Hurricanes owner? If I'm Molson I would make the same request when the Habs play in Carolina.

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

apparently we are wearing our whites at home at the request of carolina's owner!?  tell this guy where he can go and how he can get there bergy ! come on man

11 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Why does the Habs have to accommodate the trivial wishes of the Hurricanes owner? If I'm Molson I would make the same request when the Habs play in Carolina.

Why is it a big deal?  

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

meh.  For all we know they asked last summer.  I mean they wore whites at home for like 25 years. If a change of uniform is that big of a deal to our team we're in real trouble. 

It would be interesting to see if they ask all teams to do the same. 

RDS just put up some faceoff stats. Funny how no one on the Habs (Julien, Bergevin, etc.) is out in the media saying he can't play center because he's batting 43% in the FO circle. Domi's playing well, so I couldn't care less about his performance on the draw if he's scoring, but it just goes to show how the team used it as an excuse to bash Galchenyuk when in reality they don't really seem to care about the FO number all that much when it's convenient to them.

8 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Only way I see this being head games is if the players start passing to the wrong team but for some like Benn how would you even notice cause he has already done it several times this year

Although in his case it may be noticeable cause he may actually start passing to the right team more often. If that's the case though that might actually get the Habs to think he was doing it on purpose and his contract could then be voided so win win for us lmao

This has got to be the best D line-up the Habs have iced all season. Not too many games we've had Weber-Petry-Juulsen together down the right, and Reilly being in for Schlemko boosts it up a notch too. A re-energized Mete in for Benn would be the last move we could make to maximize things.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

RDS just put up some faceoff stats. Funny how no one on the Habs (Julien, Bergevin, etc.) is out in the media saying he can't play center because he's batting 43% in the FO circle. Domi's playing well, so I couldn't care less about his performance on the draw if he's scoring, but it just goes to show how the team used it as an excuse to bash Galchenyuk when in reality they don't really seem to care about the FO number all that much when it's convenient to them.

That's cause FO's are like 5-10% of a centers job. No need to worry about that stat.

Just now, BigTed3 said:

That's my point. But Habs made a huge stink about Galchenyuk not being a center and one of their big reasons was FO percentage.

I know but they are being transparent now so we should believe everything they say now and not worry about what they said in the past (insert eye roll here)

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic