The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE FEB. 25th

H_T_L

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I'm glad he didn't. Too high a cost for us

Oh yeah, me too. I dont think there's really any point in targeting more depth. If we can somehow acquire a LD who is young and better than any of the guys on our roster without giving up too much, great, but otherwise I wouldnt be too interested in much thats out there - but im just surprised MB wasnt either. 

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Oh yeah, me too. I dont think there's really any point in targeting more depth. If we can somehow acquire a LD who is young and better than any of the guys on our roster without giving up too much, great, but otherwise I wouldnt be too interested in much thats out there - but im just surprised MB wasnt either. 

There's 4 days left for MB to pull one of his "more grit" trades :P

29 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I don't think MB has shaken the more grit habit,,,  as witnessed by DLO being re inserted in the lineup tonight. 

Is that MB or CJ though.   I mean i know that DLo staying up is MB (since he controls player movements) but ultimately he's going to confer with a coach whether a player is wanted on the active roster or not.

As good of a coach as Julien is, he still values truculence far too much imho. 

17 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Is that MB or CJ though.   I mean i know that DLo staying up is MB (since he controls player movements) but ultimately he's going to confer with a coach whether a player is wanted on the active roster or not.

As good of a coach as Julien is, he still values truculence far too much imho. 

Probably a bit of both. MB has already had to bury or reverse some of his other blunders ( Schlemko Alzner} Might be asking too much to admit extending DLO was another bonehead. CJ might be feeling a little pressure from up top. It's the only excuse i can think for throwing a slow no talent guy out there. Sure the guy hits but it often means his linemates need to cover for him as he turtles back into play.

1. Reports are that other GM's telling the "insiders" that the Habs aren't budging on trading their best prospects and that as a result, they will likely be a quiet team on deadline day. Maybe a bit of tinkering for lower draft picks but no expectation MB will sacrifice his best prospects for rentals. Consistent with what he told us.

2. Insiders also say Joe Sakic is in a similar mode. He isn't looking to sacrifice futures or young players and according to Brian Burke, Sakic is a very passive and patient GM. He says Sakic will wait you out and make you be the one to call him but won't initiate conversations himself. So if the Habs want Zadorov, they're going to have to call with an offer he can't refuse.

3. The Bruins have some older players and are certainly in a position to win now, but they also have a good number of young players in their system too. Pastrnak is already probably a top 20-30 forward in the league at 22. Debrusk is solid. Trent Frederic. McAvoy and Carlo could both be top pairing D men when all is said and done. Krug is still only 27. And they have young guys not yet in the NHL... no first rounder last year but they have two pretty good players from the top of their 2017 draft in Vaakaneinen and Studnicka. So sadly, I think Boston will be able to re-stock reasonably quickly.

I think i'd kick the tires on Howard from the Wings to back up Price the rest of this year. Not sure what they would want, but i'd start by offering a 4th rounder. He'd probably get 4 to 5 starts in our last 21 games.  It's time to part with Niemi. Can't afford to give up goals like he does.

8 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I think i'd kick the tires on Howard from the Wings to back up Price the rest of this year. Not sure what they would want, but i'd start by offering a 4th rounder. He'd probably get 4 to 5 starts in our last 21 games.  It's time to part with Niemi. Can't afford to give up goals like he does.

The wings are reportedly looking for a 1st + prospect for Howard, that would be a hard pass for me at that price for a backup at a 5.35 mil cap hit he isn't a logical backup either, but I like the thought of it cause he is a decent goalie.

7 hours ago, campabee82 said:

The wings are reportedly looking for a 1st + prospect for Howard, that would be a hard pass for me at that price for a backup at a 5.35 mil cap hit he isn't a logical backup either, but I like the thought of it cause he is a decent goalie.

That's a ridiculous ask for a rental in a flooded market. They could easily resign him this summer as a UFA ( i think i heard he was UFA). Take what you can get. I'd be willing to go as high as a conditional 3rd assuming he plays more then 6 games ( probably won't happen). It's the type of deal MB should be exploring regardless. There has to be a cheap better option that Niemi to finish this season. It's one area that concerns me the most. We can get by with our current D and the forward group is passable, but if Price goes down,,,,,trouble.

57 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

That's a ridiculous ask for a rental in a flooded market. They could easily resign him this summer as a UFA ( i think i heard he was UFA). Take what you can get. I'd be willing to go as high as a conditional 3rd assuming he plays more then 6 games ( probably won't happen). It's the type of deal MB should be exploring regardless. There has to be a cheap better option that Niemi to finish this season. It's one area that concerns me the most. We can get by with our current D and the forward group is passable, but if Price goes down,,,,,trouble.

whatever happens at the deadline, I do think it should be a priority to invest in a back up. If we have any chance of making noise in the playoffs this year or next, Price is going to have to be stellar, and in order to do that, he's going to need rest throughout the season

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

whatever happens at the deadline, I do think it should be a priority to invest in a back up. If we have any chance of making noise in the playoffs this year or next, Price is going to have to be stellar, and in order to do that, he's going to need rest throughout the season

The Flyers are loaded with goalies... albeit not the best options perhaps

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Flooded market? Howard isn't actually a back up. He is a starting goalie having a decent year with a good track record. So even though we may want him as a back up he's actually better than the average back up. We should of went after Halak this spring. I definitely would like a better back up. I still think they should give Lingren a few games and see how he looks. Worse case is you go back to Neimi. I also don't think Detroit will just give away Howard because they don't have much behind them in their system.

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

Flooded market? Howard isn't actually a back up. He is a starting goalie having a decent year with a good track record. So even though we may want him as a back up he's actually better than the average back up. We should of went after Halak this spring. I definitely would like a better back up. I still think they should give Lingren a few games and see how he looks. Worse case is you go back to Neimi. I also don't think Detroit will just give away Howard because they don't have much behind them in their system.

There should be a number of goalies available that are UFA this summer.  Off the top of my head there's Howard, Elliot, Talbot. I know they're starters but i'm sure anyone of them would rather play a backup role for the remainder of the season rather then be done by playoff time. None of the playoff teams are looking for starters,,, that i know of. I'm not advocating that we persue any of them for a backup position for next season. Any team that trades one now, is open to resigning them in the summer, so it's a true rental in that they're gone come the end of the playoffs. Detroit has absolutely nothing to lose and only assets to gain by trading Howard now and resigning him in June. The argument about system depth doesn't apply.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

So, Matt Duchene +  Bergman 

for

- Vitaly Abramov 
- J
onathan Davidsson
- 2019 first-round pick
- conditional 2020 first-round pick

Not a bad haul for the sens.  They get potentially 2 first rounders, and a really good young player in Abramov.  I think Davdisson is a throw in.   Bergman is an interesting piece going back to Columbus... its his 3rd team this year already and has a high 2nd roudner there's still potential he will put it all together but he's probably only got a year or two more to prove he's got true NHL potential. 

You still gotta feel for the sens fans though: Horrific season, trading away their only good players and they might well end up with the best odds for Jack Hughes... which will now go to the Avalanche.   Yikes.  

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

You still gotta feel for the sens fans though: Horrific season, trading away their only good players and they might well end up with the best odds for Jack Hughes... which will now go to the Avalanche.   Yikes.  

It won't be with the Columbus 1st rounder. It's protected if it falls in the top 3

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

It won't be with the Columbus 1st rounder. It's protected if it falls in the top 3

Right, but i meant they may well end up with the 1st overall pick - because of their own terrible season- which will now go to the Avalanche.  Still didnt like their decision to keep last year's pick (even though it was 4ov) because it was clear they were going to move Karlsson and others so the chances of them being worse this year were higher. 

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Right, but i meant they may well end up with the 1st overall pick - because of their own terrible season- which will now go to the Avalanche.  Still didnt like their decision to keep last year's pick (even though it was 4ov) because it was clear they were going to move Karlsson and others so the chances of them being worse this year were higher. 

Gotcha.

After they finish gutting this team they may have several 1st rounders. Maybe they can package a couple and get back in the lottery race for Hughes.

Funny thing about the Sens-Jackets deal is that there are a lot of unknown conditions, so either team could end up getting royally washed in this deal. If you're Clb, worst case scenario is that you don't get into the playoffs, lose a top 10-15 pick this year and then re-sign Duchene but see Panarin and Bobrovsky walk, which leaves you with a makeshift team that loses a lottery pick to Ottawa in 2020 the way Ottawa is losing one to Colorado this year. On the other hand, Ottawa could see the 1st rounder this year be a bottom 5-8 pick if Clb makes a run and should Clb choose not to re-sign Duchene (or should he simply want to play elsewhere), then that's it that's all for the Sens and all they have to show for Duchene is a late 1st and two prospects who were recently 3rd and 6th round picks. Considering they gave up a ton (including potentially Jack Hughes!) to get Duchene, that's a massive drop-off in the return. So big gambles for both teams on this deal. The most intriguing thing is really trying to figure out what will happen with Panarin/Bobrovsky and whether it was a smart move for Kekalainen to go all in this year but potentially lose 3 of his best players for nothing in the off-season.

• H_T_L locked this topic