The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE FEB. 25th

H_T_L

SN:

We’re now a day out from the NHL trade deadline and with trades for Matt Ducheneand Ryan Dzingel — two-thirds of the big pieces Ottawa was looking to deal — the Columbus Blue Jackets have signalled they are all in. This, likely, takes Artemi Panarinoff the trade market.

Pat Steinberg (Fan 690):

At last check #Flames still very interested in Mark Stone, but Ottawa’s price is “ridiculously high”.

Sense is Sens starting point is multiple 1sts + one of Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington + more. Calgary extremely happy with current group. Not willing to sell the farm.

From the 4th Period:

"On Canadiens: Karl Alzner remains available. He's down in Laval. Just doesn't fit the Habs' system, needs new environment that compliments his shutdown style. Sense is Habs willing to retain portion of contract."

Eklund says Simmonds news imminent and that rumors are he is headed to the Habs...

We've said it before, Eklund throws a lot of paint at the wall, but of all the teams, his two favorites are the Habs and Flyers and he lives in/near Philly, so those tend to be the teams he actually sometimes gets right. Waiting to see if anyone in the MSM picks up the story. Simmonds is definitely a Bergevin-type player, he was given farewells by his Flyer teammates yesterday, and rumors out of Philly are that Phi doesn't expect a 1st rounder as part of the return, so there could be a fit there. A 2nd rounder and a prospect might be enough and that might be something MB is willing to part with.

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Eklund says Simmonds news imminent and that rumors are he is headed to the Habs...

We've said it before, Eklund throws a lot of paint at the wall, but of all the teams, his two favorites are the Habs and Flyers and he lives in/near Philly, so those tend to be the teams he actually sometimes gets right. Waiting to see if anyone in the MSM picks up the story. Simmonds is definitely a Bergevin-type player, he was given farewells by his Flyer teammates yesterday, and rumors out of Philly are that Phi doesn't expect a 1st rounder as part of the return, so there could be a fit there. A 2nd rounder and a prospect might be enough and that might be something MB is willing to part with.

i like simmonds but he's having a bad season and he's not going to put us over the top. I would give up a second for him begrudgingly but anything more and i'm not happy with the trade. We don't need this. 

22 minutes ago, habsisme said:

i like simmonds but he's having a bad season and he's not going to put us over the top. I would give up a second for him begrudgingly but anything more and i'm not happy with the trade. We don't need this. 

He had a decent start and has struggled of late, but even in a "down" year, he's potted 16 goals, and we only have 4 guys with better totals than that. Is he the best option out there? No. But if he's a guy you can get for Columbus' 2nd and a B level prospect, that's a better trade for us than dealing a 1st rounder or one of our A level prospects for a guy like Hayes or Hoffman or so on. Simmonds' struggles might actually help his trade value drop into something we're comfortable with. Not suggesting an overpay, but if he falls into your lap at a reasonable price, it might be worth it.

Just for kicks

Drouin-Domi-Simmonds

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw

Byron-Peca-Armia

would provide a hard-nosed scorer with size for the top 6 and bump 3rd line players back into the right seat. I think we could do worse. The 4th line, for example, is instantly better than using Thompson, Deslauriers, and Weise...

If we hold on to an acquisition for a few years at least and don't give up any of our top prospects then I would be all for it. If it's a deal for an upcoming UFA then don't do it. If we're in it to win it that's fine but we're nowhere close to winning it all. An 86 or 93 fairytale is not in the cards.

6 minutes ago, habby67 said:

If we hold on to an acquisition for a few years at least and don't give up any of our top prospects then I would be all for it. If it's a deal for an upcoming UFA then don't do it. If we're in it to win it that's fine but we're nowhere close to winning it all. An 86 or 93 fairytale is not in the cards.

My stance is this:

1. Don't trade your 1st rounder or top 5 grade A prospects for a rental.

2. If you can shore up your PP or top 6 forward spots or top pairing LHD spots and you can do so without giving up the above, then you think about it.

3. If you can make a hockey trade for a long-term asset, you think about it, although in general, the summer is a better time for that.

4. If you can trade away an aging vet for futures, you think about it. I wouldn't deal Weber for a 1st rounder and a prospect but if you can deal Benn or Shaw or so on or if you can deal Weber to Colorado for something around Ott's 1st rounder for example, then I think you think about it.

So I think MB has options here.

That said, I don't think it's a given the Habs are toast in the playoffs. We can play with Boston and Toronto, and I think we'd be as tough a match-up for Tampa as anyone, even though no one is going to be favored over them. But the 1st WC spot is definitely within the Habs' reach and there's a distinct possibility the team would end up swapping divisions for the 1st two rounds of the playoffs and ending up in the weaker Metro division bracket. To get the Isles int he 1st round and then one of Was, Clb, Pit, or Car could be a simpler path to the ECF than going through our own division. Would we be favorites? Absolutely not. But if I told MB he had a 40% chance of winning a round and a 15% chance of being in the ECF, I think he would be satisfied with that.

Always a chance to win if you make the playoffs. There have been many bottom seeds that have proved this many times. I could be wrong but this team is all over the map with consistency and in a 7 game series you could get in trouble in a hurry. I am always behind them but they can frustrate the heck out of me and I still think we need to shore up or D big time before we ever will go far..

29 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

My stance is this:

1. Don't trade your 1st rounder or top 5 grade A prospects for a rental.

2. If you can shore up your PP or top 6 forward spots or top pairing LHD spots and you can do so without giving up the above, then you think about it.

3. If you can make a hockey trade for a long-term asset, you think about it, although in general, the summer is a better time for that.

4. If you can trade away an aging vet for futures, you think about it. I wouldn't deal Weber for a 1st rounder and a prospect but if you can deal Benn or Shaw or so on or if you can deal Weber to Colorado for something around Ott's 1st rounder for example, then I think you think about it.

So I think MB has options here.

That said, I don't think it's a given the Habs are toast in the playoffs. We can play with Boston and Toronto, and I think we'd be as tough a match-up for Tampa as anyone, even though no one is going to be favored over them. But the 1st WC spot is definitely within the Habs' reach and there's a distinct possibility the team would end up swapping divisions for the 1st two rounds of the playoffs and ending up in the weaker Metro division bracket. To get the Isles int he 1st round and then one of Was, Clb, Pit, or Car could be a simpler path to the ECF than going through our own division. Would we be favorites? Absolutely not. But if I told MB he had a 40% chance of winning a round and a 15% chance of being in the ECF, I think he would be satisfied with that.

This. I think MB probably does nothing or makes a very minor "tinker" but you never know. A guy like Simmonds or say, Bouwmeester, if they came cheap enough. I could totally see MB going for.

Id be very surprised (unless its a huge deal) if he moves a 1st rounder, or if he moves one of our top 5-6 prospects but if he can get a pending UFA at either LD or RW that would help for the playoffs - for cheap - i think there's a decent chance he will.  My guess is that he has some "take it or leave it" deals (like he did with Vanek) out there already. We'll see if any of them come to fruition. 

The word from the insiders is that MB is trying to wait everyone out and hope that there are still desperate sellers at the eleventh hour who are willing to lower their asking prices or risk getting nothing at all... maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. The thought is that the Sens are doing MB a favor right now by prolonging the Stone ordeal. Some think Ottawa is still trying to extend him, but if his decision goes down to the wire, other guys don't get dealt til late (Hayes, Hoffman, Nyqist, Simmonds, etc.) and maybe someone's left hanging.

On Nyqist, Andy Strickland says the Sharks are the frontrunners right now.

As for Bouwmeester, given the Blues impressive run, doubtful they are selling right now (albeit I doubt they add too much either). McQuaid could still be a target for Bergevin. Matheson could be another. Eric Gryba is on waivers today. Fowler seems like a pipe dream now but maybe Michael Del Zotto as a depth guy from Anaheim. Hopefully not Cody Ceci. And then I still wonder about Shayne Gostisbehere as part of a hockey trade and not a deadline rental.

•  

The Detroit Red Wings are sending forward Gustav Nyquist to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a 2019 second-round pick and a conditional 2020 third-round pick,

Nyquist gets a 2nd and a 3rd

Eklund:

"The Preds will get in on Simmonds if the price stays low...right now I am told the best offer is still from Montreal...but the Habs have a few things going on...they wont do both.."

• H_T_L locked this topic