The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

10:30 PM ET Montreal @ San Jose NBCSCA, TSN2, RDS

kinot-2

IT'S GAMEDAY!!!!

TONIGHT, THE HABS GO FOR A SWIM IN THE SHARK TANK

10:30 PM ET  Montreal @ San Jose  NBCSCA, TSN2, RDS

IT'S BEEN 20 YEARS SINCE THE HABS LAST WON THERE, WITH CRAIG RIVET SCORING THE WINNER IN OT.

cartoon-plush-sharks-soft-dolls-toys-for.jpg

42 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Kotkaniemi back in at least?

No word yet although yesterday at practice he was an extra:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Domi - Shaw
Drouin - Weal - Armia
Lehkonen - Thompson - Weise

Extras: Hudon - Deslauriers - Peca - Kotkaniemi

Im sort of torn because on the one hand he's easily been one of our 12 best forwards (if not our top 6-7) but on the other, if he's truly gassed then one game off isnt going to help.  

59 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I'm going to play this one by ear. If it's a good effort I may try and stay up longer.  Need to prep for the upcoming time change.:lol:

It's always something. :rolleyes::P

49 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Byron - Domi - Shaw
Drouin - Weal - Armia

Im sort of torn because on the one hand he's easily been one of our 12 best forwards (if not our top 6-7) but on the other, if he's truly gassed then one game off isnt going to help.  

He's had 4 days of rest, granted 1 day was a travel day, so IMO, he should be good to go. 

48 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Byron - Domi - Shaw
Drouin - Weal - Armia

I think it's more of CJ not wanting to risk JK to injury against the bigger Western teams at this critical part of the year. Plus Weal's style is better suited for opponents like the Sharks than JK's. I will say this though, the kid does seem to just skate around assessing the situation a lot especially on the back check, IMO he needs to work on that a bit more but I like his game and he will learn to do that more as he develops no not too concerned about it at this point.

Burns is ailing from an illness and it is unknown if he will suit up against the Canadiens on Thursday.
  Fri, Mar 1, 2019   Kane missed his second-straight game with a mid-body and it is unclear if it will impede his status for Thursday's clash with the Canadiens.
  Tue, Feb 26, 2019   Karlsson is sidelined due to a groin injury and is expected to miss at least one week.
  Wed, Mar 6, 2019   Pavelski is battling a flu bug and is heading into Thursday's game against the Canadiens with an uncertain status.

Just now, kinot-2 said:
Burns is ailing from an illness and it is unknown if he will suit up against the Canadiens on Thursday.
  Fri, Mar 1, 2019 Abdominal Kane missed his second-straight game with a mid-body injury and it is unclear if it will impede his status for Thursday's clash with the Canadiens.
  Tue, Feb 26, 2019 Groin Karlsson is sidelined due to a groin injury and is expected to miss at least one week.
  Wed, Mar 6, 2019 Flu Pavelski is battling a flu bug and is heading into Thursday's game against the Canadiens with an uncertain status.

now if only we can get Jones out of the net it could be an easier win LOL

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

now if only we can get Jones out of the net it could be an easier win LOL

He's got a 2.93 GAA, and a .897 SV%. which aren't exactly stellar numbers. 

4 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I though I read somewhere that he has played well over the last 10 games 

I could only find his last 4 games played.

1 2019-03-03 SJS   CHI W W 2 30 28 .933 0 0 59:57
2 2019-03-01 SJS   COL W W 3 25 22 .880 0 0 60:00
3 2019-02-26 SJS @ BOS L L 4 32 28 .875 0 0 57:05
4 2019-02-23 SJS @ CBJ L L 4 23 19 .826 0 0 49:05

41 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

He's had 4 days of rest, granted 1 day was a travel day, so IMO, he should be good to go. 

Right but its not the down days that wear a guy down, its the games themselves.   Going into the year the biggest concern about JK going right to the NHL was wether he could handle the rigours of playing a full season.  To the eye test he's been fine but Im sure the coaching staff knows more of whats going on behind the scenes.  

They love the kid, I am pretty sure if they have him out, there's probably a good reason. 

16 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Right but its not the down days that wear a guy down, its the games themselves.   Going into the year the biggest concern about JK going right to the NHL was wether he could handle the rigours of playing a full season.  To the eye test he's been fine but Im sure the coaching staff knows more of whats going on behind the scenes.  

They love the kid, I am pretty sure if they have him out, there's probably a good reason. 

He's played a ton of hockey so far this year. By far the most of any other player on the roster. Coming out of the bye week I thought he looked his best after the rest. Hopefully this gives him another boost.

Niemi starts. IMO, the ducks game is more winnable so they start Carey there. More or less, throwing Niemi to the wolves sharks, because the Sharks game is harder to win. 

These were the lines at practice yesterday:

Byron - Domi - Shaw
Drouin - Weal - Armia

Kane out for the Sharks apparently.

5 hours ago, H_T_L said:

He's played a ton of hockey so far this year. By far the most of any other player on the roster. Coming out of the bye week I thought he looked his best after the rest. Hopefully this gives him another boost.

Exactly let the kid breathe. Sometimes it's best if he sits back and watches the big boys play to gain perspective. A wise move IMO and it shows careful investment in our talent.

The thing about Niemi playing is that he doesn't have a contract after June, so, if he wants another contract (hopefully somewhere else), he will have to play lights out in his remaining  1-3 games he gets to play. 

10 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

The thing about Niemi playing is that he doesn't have a contract after June, so, if he wants another contract (hopefully somewhere else), he will have to play lights out in his remaining  1-3 games he gets to play. 

Spoiler: he's not getting another contract. Wouldn't be surprised if he's retired or in Europe this time next year.