The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who is your Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy Candidate

kinot-2

We all have a player in mind to win the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy (unsung hero), so who in your mind should get the nod? 

Mine is Victor Mete, as he quietly goes about his business and is so steady on the  back end.

13 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

We all have a player in mind to win the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy (unsung hero), so who in your mind should get the nod? 

Mine is Victor Mete, as he quietly goes about his business and is so steady on the  back end.

Guess it depends on two things:

1. What's considered unsung this year? You have a bunch of guys who were thought to be important role players who have really excelled, like Domi and Tatar. No one thought they would be team leaders at the start of the year, but here we are. That said, they've certainly been talked about a lot as heroes on a regular basis, so probably no longer unsung and just depends if you're talking about expectations now vs. at the start of the year.

2. How many games you need to play to be counted. Mete spent some time in the minors and he certainly wasn't as much of a factor at the start of the season. Conversely, a guy like Mike Reilly was dynamite in an unsung role in the first half of the year but has spent the latter part in the pressbox. Byron and Shaw both missed time with injuries. Does that take these players out of the running?

My take on it... I'll take Domi, Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin, and Danault out of the running as being guys who were given prominent roles and ice time regularly throughout the year. Likewise for Shea Weber on the back end. Petry is a bit of an interesting case though, because he's a good player but he really stepped up in the first half of the season when Weber was out and was probably our first-half MVP (despite how much of a break-out Domi was). I don't think we could have won early without Petry playing a monster role and his playing that role was unexpectedly good and probably not talked about enough (maybe the definition of unsung in some ways). My vote for first place will go to Andrew Shaw though. He was a question mark going into the year both in terms of consistency and in terms of health, and I think he's had a fantastic year out of nowhere. He's also helped to carry Domi and Drouin through patches when they weren't playing as well.

So in order, I like

1. Andrew Shaw

2. Jeff Petry

3. Victor Mete and Mike Reilly (tie)

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

For me it's Tuna. Everybody thought he was just a toss in,,, after being tossed aside in Vegas. Having an outstanding year. Well beyond most peoples expectations.

Tell me about it.   I was one of the few people who thought Domi was going to excel here (even though  I still felt like we should have gotten more for him at the time) but Tatar?  I thought we'd be lucky if he broke 40 points.  He's now set a career high for goals and points and still has a handful of  games (albeit will take a goal in nearly all of them) to break his career high for goals.   And to think we still have the 2nd and Suzuki yet to play for us!

You guys all forgot about Kotkaniemi LOL, he wasn't even supposed to make the team this year and is in the top 10 in nearly every offensive category. That being said I agree Tatar has to take the trophy as he has been outstanding all year. my list goes

Tatar

Petry (Our PP was also more effective with him on the 1stt wave when Weber was out)

Kotkaniemi/Mete (both have played beyond their experience at times this year cant wait to see them when they have a couple more years under their belts)

Again, I'll throw out there that the award is not for who surprised us the most or who exceeded expectations. It's an award for a player that excelled in such a way that he was an important member of the team but didn't get the recognition one would think he should have. Players like Domi and Tatar and Gallagher and Kotkaniemi might all have exceeded our expectations of them going into the year but each of those guys has been lauded ad nauseum for what they bring to the team. In my view, the award is meant to go to a guy whose contribution hasn't been spoken about as much as it should have been.

26 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Again, I'll throw out there that the award is not for who surprised us the most or who exceeded expectations. It's an award for a player that excelled in such a way that he was an important member of the team but didn't get the recognition one would think he should have. Players like Domi and Tatar and Gallagher and Kotkaniemi might all have exceeded our expectations of them going into the year but each of those guys has been lauded ad nauseum for what they bring to the team. In my view, the award is meant to go to a guy whose contribution hasn't been spoken about as much as it should have been.

In that case it would be 

1. Petry

2. Armia

3. Byron/Thompson/Folin

4. Benn (He has actually been solid since being moved to 3rd pair)

2 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I cannot believe no one in this thread has mentioned 20 point producing Jordie Benn as Beauchamp winner.  Everyone who had Jordie Benn as a 20 man, raise your hands...yeah, me neither.  He deserves the Beauchamp...And a contract extension.

No way he deserves a free trip back to Dallas. Would rather have a D made up of the following next season

Mete-Weber

Reilly/Kulak-Petry 

Kulak/Reilly/Brooke-Juulsen/Folin

Ideally though we find a #1 LHD

4 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

No way he deserves a free trip back to Dallas. Would rather have a D made up of the following next season

Mete-Weber

Reilly/Kulak-Petry 

Kulak/Reilly/Brooke-Juulsen/Folin

Ideally though we find a #1 LHD

You’re telling me you would let a guy who’s shown that much of an improvement in play under Luke Richardson just walk?  Why?

11 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

You’re telling me you would let a guy who’s shown that much of an improvement in play under Luke Richardson just walk?  Why?

I would have traded him at the deadline, he is playing well now yes but look at the year in its entirety. Him, Niemi and the PP have cost us sooo many goals/points in the standings that the improvement doesn't make up for. He gives away the puck more times than he gets it out of the zone and he is slower than molasses in January. He is NOT one of our best 6 Dmen and certainly not better than Juulsen, Brooke or Fluery by resigning Benn your essentially giving up 3 of them or Kulak, Folin or Rielly so which 3 would you give up to resign Benn that's just not a good hockey move. Next I suppose your going to want Alzner back in the NHL as well.

5 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I would have traded him at the deadline, he is playing well now yes but look at the year in its entirety. Him, Niemi and the PP have cost us sooo many goals/points in the standings that the improvement doesn't make up for. He gives away the puck more times than he gets it out of the zone and he is slower than molasses in January. He is NOT one of our best 6 Dmen and certainly not better than Juulsen, Brooke or Fluery by resigning Benn your essentially giving up 3 of them or Kulak, Folin or Rielly so which 3 would you give up to resign Benn that's just not a good hockey move. Next I suppose your going to want Alzner back in the NHL as well.

No, I don’t want Alzner at all.  But we’re talking about who’s contribution has flown under the radar.  Jordie Benn definitely fits that bill.

3 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

No, I don’t want Alzner at all.  But we’re talking about who’s contribution has flown under the radar.  Jordie Benn definitely fits that bill.

Not even close, how does someone who gives the puck away more than anyone else on the team get an UNSUNG HERO award, maybe if it was for most give aways or slowest player or even dumbest plays under pressure I would give it to him but not for unsung hero. Benn, Deslauries, Niemi and Alzner are not good enough to be regulars on a team built around speed and skill.

Differential between Give Aways vs Take Aways; seems as though the entire D has a problem not just one player

Petry -79

Weber -44

Benn  -49

Mette -47

Reilly -44

Kulak -25

Domi -20

Folin -16

Jullson - 11

6 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Differential between Give Aways vs Take Aways; seems as though the entire D has a problem not just one player

Petry -79

Weber -44

Benn  -49

Mette -47

Reilly -44

Kulak -25

Domi -20

Totally agree but Benn really shouldn't be part of this conversation is my point. It also seems like Benn gives the puck away more in high danger areas but it may just be my perception. Also Giveaways include just clearing the puck so any Dman that clears the zone to centre gets dinged if the other team recovers it

• H_T_L locked this topic