The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 If i were GM

H_T_L

3 hours ago, habsisme said:

I worry that Gallagher could fetch way more than that on the open market, as high as 8 million. I could definitely see us paying 7 million for moving forward. Petry too, could get big money as a UFA

With a flat cap and reduced revenues for teams, i doubt we see those big long term 7 and 8 million dollar contracts. I personally think the UFA market will be flat this off season with teams choosing to use younger cheaper players. Money will be tight for a couple years..

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

With a flat cap and reduced revenues for teams, i doubt we see those big long term 7 and 8 million dollar contracts. I personally think the UFA market will be flat this off season with teams choosing to use younger cheaper players. Money will be tight for a couple years..

I tend to agree.

sure am glad we dont have 3 players making $11m each and a total of 7 players taking up $55m of the $81m cap! :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I will also agree with this. And actually, I don't see a lot of players going anywhere because of it. Some may, especially the goalies that have been mentioned on this forum. But  I don't see the majority of players moving. The market may not be there for them.

43 minutes ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

I will also agree with this. And actually, I don't see a lot of players going anywhere because of it. Some may, especially the goalies that have been mentioned on this forum. But  I don't see the majority of players moving. The market may not be there for them.

That is definitely something I've wondered about .If a team makes a deal for someone  how is the salary tabulated in a shortened season especially in cases where the bulk of the money is in signing bonuses ? I imagine it's pro-rated but revenues will be in the minus category any way you slice it . How much will teams that need a goalie be willing to spend now ? I wonder how the league will deal with this ? Perhaps the days of bailing out the Coyotes is over . I see next year being at best  a socially distanced ticket-paying crowd ( if any ) and because of the negative cash flow my guess is less significant player movement. Empty arenas and shortened seasons makes an $ 81.5 million cap a big problem  .In the case of Hall Arizona is in such a screwed up mess they might not be able to  justify the bottom line  . And he might not want to stay anyway .Those GMs willing to be aggressive and fire out a semi-expensive contract will land him if he thinks the team has upside ....suddenly having cap room is a big bonus in today's NHL and those with albatross contracts are stuck in neutral filling out rosters with  $700,000 - $800,000 journeymen or AHL level . players .

Okay, so until I see some new names get shaken loose (which could happen given the revenue/cap issues), if I were GM this is how I’d play it...

1. Trade Domi to CLB for Anderson + (something). Not sure what that “something” should be. I’d consider the trade straight up, but with Anderson coming off surgery I feel like a “+” is called for. A 2nd would sound fair, but CLB is without a 2’d until 2022. Maybe that’s good enough, I don’t know... But the more I’ve thought about it, the more I like Anderson in the lineup. He’s no Mantha, but he’ll do, and for a fraction of the cost.
  2. Agree to take Ericsson’s contract off of VAN’s hands in exchange for Virtanen. Very similar to how we used our cap to acquire Armia. At worst he’s an upgrade on Weal, at best he outshines Anderson, realistically he out performs Armia, or at least matches his output. Probably have to send back a late draft pick, no loss there.
  3. I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I’ve given it some thought. I’d start by offering Hall 2 x $7 million, but of course he’d decline. But we can’t spend more than $7 in this transaction, as this will become the measuring stick that Gallagher uses when negotiating his next contract. So after Hall says “hell no” we offer 2 x $6 to... Mike Hoffman. Never thought I’d say it, but despite whatever it is about the guy, he’s got a laser for a shot. I think 2 years is accomplishable due to the financial pickle teams are going to be in, but I could be way off.

That would leave our lines looking something like...

Hoffman-Suzuki-Anderson

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Virtanen 

Lehkonen-Evans/Poehling-Armia

I don’t see much at this moment to address our needs at LD, but I would at least like to see Kulak get a shot beside Webber, stick Chiarot with Petry and let the kids fight over the third pairing. If we’re really feeling antsy we could try and nab a short term filler (say a 2nd to CHI for Keith), but I’d be comfortable letting it ride for one more season.

I think this lineup would work surprisingly well, would improve our scoring both at even strength, as well as (and most importantly) on the power play. All very affordable, and without having to part with a Caufield, Nordstrom, Poehling or any of our prospects of any significance.

Its not clear to me that Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are really our 1-2 C's next year.

I think Suzuki can be our 1C next year, playing with Drouin-Suzuki-NewGuy (Hoffman/Laine/Mantha), but I think Danault or Domi should be considered our 2C next year.

I'm leaning toward Danault, simply because of how well the Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line plays, and if they are our second line, well that's some nice depth.

That allows Kotkaniemi to get another year of experience, and then hopefully the following year Kotkaniemi moves up to be our 2C or even our 1C.

11 minutes ago, Windoe said:

Its not clear to me that Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are really our 1-2 C's next year.

I think Suzuki can be our 1C next year, playing with Drouin-Suzuki-NewGuy (Hoffman/Laine/Mantha), but I think Danault or Domi should be considered our 2C next year.

I'm leaning toward Danault, simply because of how well the Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line plays, and if they are our second line, well that's some nice depth.

That allows Kotkaniemi to get another year of experience, and then hopefully the following year Kotkaniemi moves up to be our 2C or even our 1C.

I agree, i think its expecting a lot for them to BOTH be at that level next year

7 minutes ago, Windoe said:

It's clear to me. time to move on from playing a third line center as a 1 or a 2. the kids need to play in the right chair if we want to see what they can do no point treading water anymore they showed us in the playoffs they can do it so lets do it. we need to build around what they need to get the job done and not worry about what we already have that has never taken us to the next level. Gally and Tater will be fine with Suzuki they just need a bit of time to gel. KK needs some better wingers too if we want him to produce we need a good two way center as a third if Dano does not want to do that then bye bye they are not as hard to find as high end talent centers we have proven that here for many many years! if Domi can't make it as a winger here he should go too he and Dano make good trade chips. i really think we should move on from them and perhaps sign Hall with some of that money. this is going to be an interesting off season.

6 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

It's clear to me. time to move on from playing a third line center as a 1 or a 2. the kids need to play in the right chair if we want to see what they can do no point treading water anymore they showed us in the playoffs they can do it so lets do it. we need to build around what they need to get the job done and not worry about what we already have that has never taken us to the next level. Gally and Tater will be fine with Suzuki they just need a bit of time to gel. KK needs some better wingers too if we want him to produce we need a good two way center as a third if Dano does not want to do that then bye bye they are not as hard to find as high end talent centers we have proven that here for many many years! if Domi can't make it as a winger here he should go too he and Dano make good trade chips. i really think we should move on from them and perhaps sign Hall with some of that money. this is going to be an interesting off season.

nah Suzuki needs to play with Drouin, they have good chemistry. 

I'm definitely fine with trading Domi OR Danault but I'd like to keep one. We don't want to put too much pressure on the kids either

54 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I'm definitely fine with trading Domi OR Danault but I'd like to keep one. We don't want to put too much pressure on the kids either

I am fine with Drouin playing with Suzuki if he earns it. my problem with Drouin is he is off and on we don't need that version of him.

45 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I think keeping one or even both if we don’t get the right deal, is not a horrible alternative - neither of them are passengers, but they are probably our only legitimate trading pieces of value other than Tatar who likes it here. 

53 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

We are making too much out of Danualt’s comments as being a malcontent whiner for being a 3C - he’s got some pride and has proven over a full 2 seasons that he can both score, act as a playmaker for Gally and Tuna. He’s earned that right with respect  to continue to compete for the 1C or 2C without it being taken away from him over a short playoff run when he was asked to be a shutdown defender. 
Count me as against signing Hall - he’s going to handcuff us with Term and $.

I would rather build the prospect pool to compliment Caufield, even trade someone/use cap room for another top draft pick.  #16 pick should land us a scorer such as Jarvis, Holloway, Mercer, Gunler, Perrault but I would want to avoid the headaches negotiation with the Russian Amirov. 2nd round should land us another scorer like Colangelo, Torgersson or Heineman. I’ll take our “crapshoot” chances with the draft this year vs reclamation “hope they rebound” projects like Josh Anderson or Anthanasiou for Domi etc.

Sure the two kids looked great in the playoffs but let's not forget that was only against two other teams. Having some fall back depth on C is not a bad strategy. I'm not ready to anoint both of them as our top 2 centers. It's more then likely at least one of them earn one of those spots, but it's not written in stone that they'll both work out based on just a dozen games vs two teams. We may have to be patient a little longer IMO

10 hours ago, claremont said:

I think keeping one or even both if we don’t get the right deal, is not a horrible alternative - neither of them are passengers, but they are probably our only legitimate trading pieces of value other than Tatar who likes it here. 

We are making too much out of Danualt’s comments as being a malcontent whiner for being a 3C - he’s got some pride and has proven over a full 2 seasons that he can both score, act as a playmaker for Gally and Tuna. He’s earned that right with respect  to continue to compete for the 1C or 2C without it being taken away from him over a short playoff run when he was asked to be a shutdown defender. 
Count me as against signing Hall - he’s going to handcuff us with Term and $.

I would rather build the prospect pool to compliment Caufield, even trade someone/use cap room for another top draft pick.  #16 pick should land us a scorer such as Jarvis, Holloway, Mercer, Gunler, Perrault but I would want to avoid the headaches negotiation with the Russian Amirov. 2nd round should land us another scorer like Colangelo, Torgersson or Heineman. I’ll take our “crapshoot” chances with the draft this year vs reclamation “hope they rebound” projects like Josh Anderson or Anthanasiou for Domi etc.

I agree fully in regards to Danault. Until he’s legitimately pushed down in the lineup, there’s no need to do so prematurely on paper.

as to taking our chances on draft picks vs reclamation projects, I see no reason to have to choose between the two. I haven’t heard Anthanasiou, but my interest in Anderson is because I think he would be a better fit/of more use to us than Domi will be. And I think we have a shot at acquiring him plus something extra in a deal for Domi. If we can improve our team in the present, without negatively impacting our future development, I say why not?

13 hours ago, habsisme said:

I am fine with Drouin playing with Suzuki if he earns it. my problem with Drouin is he is off and on we don't need that version of him.

As for Dano if he is our #1 center we are nowhere. ask yourself this on any team that can really contend where does he play? not on the first line for sure the second? possible but not likely on a good team he is on the third line. if we don't run with the kids to see what we have we will continue to fail as we have for a couple of decades now! Suzuki has proven he can play both ways all season long. KK came back and showed he could raise his game to a new level. Dano is a player that has shown us all he has he is not suddenly going to turn into a premier #1 center now. but if folks want to continue to tread water....... i would much rather go for it and see where the chips fall, we did that in the playoffs and we looked much better we just need a shooter or two. we have a good backup for next year it is time to go.

9 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

As for Dano if he is our #1 center we are nowhere. ask yourself this on any team that can really contend where does he play? not on the first line for sure the second? possible but not likely on a good team he is on the third line. if we don't run with the kids to see what we have we will continue to fail as we have for a couple of decades now! Suzuki has proven he can play both ways all season long. KK came back and showed he could raise his game to a new level. Dano is a player that has shown us all he has he is not suddenly going to turn into a premier #1 center now. but if folks want to continue to tread water....... i would much rather go for it and see where the chips fall, we did that in the playoffs and we looked much better we just need a shooter or two. we have a good backup for next year it is time to go.

If you can build with players around these guys we don't have to have the "old" fashion #1 #2 #3 line ect. We can easily roll 3 maybe 4 lines and all get premier time. As it is Danaulit gets very little PP time so he's actually not being treated to #1 status already. He takes the tough defensive draws most of the time. His line with Gally and Tatar is great because they can produce and shut down the top lines of other teams. Suzuki looked good and JK did better. That said neither have been consistantly been put into those situations throughout a whole season. Can JK even stay healthy a whole season. Is his game good enough yet against the top competition? Suzuki I think will be better, but I still think we Danault and what he brings. It doesn't have to be #1 #2 ect. every night. It's a long season and it will depend what lines are going each night. I say we need to have additional wingers to support JK and Suzuki. We know the Danault line works why break it up. Boston rarely breaks up the Bergeon line and for good reason. JK and Suzukii will get the extra time on the PP Suzuki also PK. I'm noty sold yet JK will be ready next season yet. I think he'll have ups and downs. 

11 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

If you can build with players around these guys we don't have to have the "old" fashion #1 #2 #3 line ect. We can easily roll 3 maybe 4 lines and all get premier time. As it is Danaulit gets very little PP time so he's actually not being treated to #1 status already. He takes the tough defensive draws most of the time. His line with Gally and Tatar is great because they can produce and shut down the top lines of other teams. Suzuki looked good and JK did better. That said neither have been consistantly been put into those situations throughout a whole season. Can JK even stay healthy a whole season. Is his game good enough yet against the top competition? Suzuki I think will be better, but I still think we Danault and what he brings. It doesn't have to be #1 #2 ect. every night. It's a long season and it will depend what lines are going each night. I say we need to have additional wingers to support JK and Suzuki. We know the Danault line works why break it up. Boston rarely breaks up the Bergeon line and for good reason. JK and Suzukii will get the extra time on the PP Suzuki also PK. I'm noty sold yet JK will be ready next season yet. I think he'll have ups and downs. 

I heay ya but he is going to need a new contract he already made his comments about not wanting to take on a more defensive role the kids are cheaper and have a higher ceiling. i have no worries about KK at all he had a sophmore slump at 18-19 he is still a kid and he was strong in the playoffs no worries at all on my end same as i had no worries about Suzuki when others here did. we have been making due for so long at center it is time to go for it with the actual talent we have now.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:13 PM, H_T_L said:

Sure the two kids looked great in the playoffs but let's not forget that was only against two other teams. Having some fall back depth on C is not a bad strategy. I'm not ready to anoint both of them as our top 2 centers. It's more then likely at least one of them earn one of those spots, but it's not written in stone that they'll both work out based on just a dozen games vs two teams. We may have to be patient a little longer IMO

Agreed.  Keep Danault. Let the kids start 1 & 2. Need to give them good wingers to play with.  And I don't mean Drouin.  As far as I am concerned, Drouin should be the first option in a trade package. Having Danault is a good security blanket.  We know what he can do.  The kids? Give them a chance with good wingers.  They start getting points---> building confidence, and then we're set. If, one falters, then switch with Danault until they start improving. It seems that Jake Evans is kinda the forgotten man here.  I think that he will surprise big time, with increased minutes and starting the year off right away with the team.

On 9/12/2020 at 2:40 PM, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Mike Hoffman. Never thought I’d say it, but despite whatever it is about the guy, he’s got a laser for a shot. I think 2 years is accomplishable due to the financial pickle teams are going to be in, but I could be way off.

Ive been wondering about Hoffman.  Whatever may or may not be true off the ice, he can score.  With our supposed 'leadership' group of Weber, Gallagher, Byron, Petry etc - can Hoffman be kept in check? Does he even need to be? Often when players bounce around they realize they need to smarten up and become less of a locker room distraction at a certain point - plus i havent heard anything bad about him since he joined the panthers, only in ottawa? 

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Ive been wondering about Hoffman.  Whatever may or may not be true off the ice, he can score.  With our supposed 'leadership' group of Weber, Gallagher, Byron, Petry etc - can Hoffman be kept in check? Does he even need to be? Often when players bounce around they realize they need to smarten up and become less of a locker room distraction at a certain point - plus i havent heard anything bad about him since he joined the panthers, only in ottawa? 

if i remember correctly it was him, it was his gf/wife, if that's the case, I'd stay away

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

With a leadership group of Price, Markov, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Gallagher, etc., this team couldn't figure out a way to deal with PK Subban loving the camera. How would they deal with a player and especially his wife creating trouble with others' families? Not sure the leadership group will do much to curtail any poor behavior on the part of Hoffman's wife... Bergevin also couldn't deal with the likes of Pateryn's wife tweeting or Kristo's immaturity or Galchenyuk's partying or so on. I just can't see him reaching out to Hoffman. The only guy with a bad reputation he's made an exception for was Drouin, and that was largely on account of the fact Drouin's francophone.

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

With a leadership group of Price, Markov, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Gallagher, etc., this team couldn't figure out a way to deal with PK Subban loving the camera. How would they deal with a player and especially his wife creating trouble with others' families? Not sure the leadership group will do much to curtail any poor behavior on the part of Hoffman's wife... Bergevin also couldn't deal with the likes of Pateryn's wife tweeting or Kristo's immaturity or Galchenyuk's partying or so on. I just can't see him reaching out to Hoffman. The only guy with a bad reputation he's made an exception for was Drouin, and that was largely on account of the fact Drouin's francophone.

And Radulov, but point taken. Like I said, I cant imagine MB would even consider Hoffman although you have to wonder if that was an isolated thing in ottawa (it was his gf vs Karlsson's wife right?   I am not condoning or downplaying it - from what i understand it was horrendous - but if it was an singular issue with one person (and it was his GF/Fiance that did it)... its not quite the same as like Mike Comrie, Ryan Kesler, Jeff Carter incidents... 

Anyway, its almost certainly moot. The only UFA i think MB will even consider kicking the tires on would be Hall, Krug, Dadorov and probably some depth players.  I suspect, if we see any impact at all this summer, it will be via trade. 

51 minutes ago, maas_art said:

And Radulov, but point taken. Like I said, I cant imagine MB would even consider Hoffman although you have to wonder if that was an isolated thing in ottawa (it was his gf vs Karlsson's wife right?   I am not condoning or downplaying it - from what i understand it was horrendous - but if it was an singular issue with one person (and it was his GF/Fiance that did it)... its not quite the same as like Mike Comrie, Ryan Kesler, Jeff Carter incidents... 

Anyway, its almost certainly moot. The only UFA i think MB will even consider kicking the tires on would be Hall, Krug, Dadorov and probably some depth players.  I suspect, if we see any impact at all this summer, it will be via trade. 

I was wondering about the Hoffman issues in Ottawa myself and did some digging. Apparently the protection order that alleged that Hoffman's GF at the time was cyberbullying Karlsson's wife was never filed. In fact Hoffman's GF/Wife requested all of the evidence the Karlsson's had and she was never given it. So she had her own investigation done and a whole crap load of other stuff outlined in the story linked below which basically shows IMO that all this was a slanderous accusation from Mrs. Karlsson. I do not know the outcome of the hearing or any investigation from the Sens, NHL or NHLPA.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/court-records-reveal-how-events-unfolded-before-karlsson-hoffman-dispute-became-public

• H_T_L locked this topic